Dimebag Darrell - 4 Years since his murder

heaven&hell

and here goes another SR86 debate that no-one will agree with;

Geoff, you like Bon Jovi.....Richie Sambora picked up a guitar after seeing The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show....

if the beatles didnt exist then its very likely he woulda just found another band, but, maybe he would have listened to more Eric Clapton and just gone straight into blues instead of rock...

im not going to list everyone that The Beatles influenced in our genre, all im saying is that if you look at the influences that our favourite bands have they probably go back to The Beatles, or Elvis or some other 60s band (the stones even), and if they dont then i bet their influences' influences do...

Dimes father was a session guitarist in the 70s wasnt he? maybe The Beatles are the reason he started playing guitar, in which case Dime wouldnt have even been famous if it werent for Lennon......but, this is only a guess....

at the end of the day, theres no way i can prove it....but nearly every great 80s rock musician played music that sounded alot different to what their influences played (Alexi Laiho of Children Of Bodom's biggest influence was Mark Knopfler and the Dire Straits, and now he plays death metal)

and heres an excerpt from Wikipedia for you Jez about Luke:

"Lukather was born Steven Lee Lukather on October 21, 1957 in San Fernando Valley, California. He started out playing keyboards and drums and then taught himself how to play the guitar starting at age seven when his father bought him a Kay acoustic guitar and a copy of The Beatles album Meet the Beatles. Lukather indicates that the album "changed his life" and that he was greatly influenced by the guitar playing of George Harrison in particular."

i had no idea Luke was influenced by The Beatles when i started this post, i just had a look at what made him learn to play out of curiousity and there it was...

so its possible that without The Beatles, Luke wouldnt play guitar, he'd be a keyboard player primarily, and because of that Toto may have never gotten anywhere...

does anyone agree with me yet? even if you dontlike the bands music, i can guarantee that atleast one of your favourite bands was influenced by them....theyre the foundation for most (not all) of the bands that followed

so in summary, the two people that called my statement bullshit, are fans of two different bands who were both influenced by The Beatles quite abit...

Kiss is my favorite band and there was no band that were a bigger influence on them then the Beatles, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to like them. Sure I respect them and I even like some of their songs but I actually prefer the bands they influenced such as Kiss, Cheap Trick and Enuff Z' Nuff.

But AGAIN I'll say that the point of this thread was to talk about DIMEBAG DARRELL not John Lennon.

I'm not trying to take away what Lennon meant to other people but the mainstream media adores Lennon and Cobain and people that they think are great while the tragic deaths of HH style musicians such as Dimebag, Criss Oliva(Savatage) and Eric Carr(Kiss) get swept under the rug and very rarely talked about.

I remember when Dime was murdered and they talked about it on CNN and the news guy Anderson Cooper even said he didn't know who was and it was a very short story. Again no offense to Lennon fans but he didn't mean a Goddamn thing to me personally while Dime was a huge part of my musical life and his and Pantera's music got me through some very shitty times. So in conclusion please stop talking about John Lennon.

FUCK

sorry, really i am...

i just wish people would think about the things i say before automatically calling it bullshit, they could atleast have a look for themselves before they belittle me that way, its a little condescending :unsure:

i just wanted to point out that with Lennon, there would be no Dime to pay tribute to right here.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah, sorry for hijacking this thread, i might just made a brand new one tommorow...

i just think my statement has more credibility to it than you guys think....someone must agree with me, or am i that twisted in my ways of thinking :unsure:

I think if you read my last post you'll see what I think.

got it ;)

and here goes another SR86 debate that no-one will agree with;

Geoff, you like Bon Jovi.....Richie Sambora picked up a guitar after seeing The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show....

if the beatles didnt exist then its very likely he woulda just found another band, but, maybe he would have listened to more Eric Clapton and just gone straight into blues instead of rock...

im not going to list everyone that The Beatles influenced in our genre, all im saying is that if you look at the influences that our favourite bands have they probably go back to The Beatles, or Elvis or some other 60s band (the stones even), and if they dont then i bet their influences' influences do...

Dimes father was a session guitarist in the 70s wasnt he? maybe The Beatles are the reason he started playing guitar, in which case Dime wouldnt have even been famous if it werent for Lennon......but, this is only a guess....

at the end of the day, theres no way i can prove it....but nearly every great 80s rock musician played music that sounded alot different to what their influences played (Alexi Laiho of Children Of Bodom's biggest influence was Mark Knopfler and the Dire Straits, and now he plays death metal)

and heres an excerpt from Wikipedia for you Jez about Luke:

"Lukather was born Steven Lee Lukather on October 21, 1957 in San Fernando Valley, California. He started out playing keyboards and drums and then taught himself how to play the guitar starting at age seven when his father bought him a Kay acoustic guitar and a copy of The Beatles album Meet the Beatles. Lukather indicates that the album "changed his life" and that he was greatly influenced by the guitar playing of George Harrison in particular."

i had no idea Luke was influenced by The Beatles when i started this post, i just had a look at what made him learn to play out of curiousity and there it was...

so its possible that without The Beatles, Luke wouldnt play guitar, he'd be a keyboard player primarily, and because of that Toto may have never gotten anywhere...

does anyone agree with me yet? even if you dontlike the bands music, i can guarantee that atleast one of your favourite bands was influenced by them....theyre the foundation for most (not all) of the bands that followed

so in summary, the two people that called my statement bullshit, are fans of two different bands who were both influenced by The Beatles quite abit...

Cheap Trick, another of my fave bands were/are heavily influenced by the Beatles aswell. All I am saying is that, yes SOME bands probably were influenced by The Beatles to a degree, along with alot of other artsts aswell though. Luke I know about, but he has many other influences, so they, on the whole, contribute to his playing, along with his own huge talent, not just one band. If the Beatles hadn't been around, I dare say it would have been someone else, as there were many better bands than them from the same era. That's me done - back to Dimebag!!

it is an irony that here i am arguing that Lennon was more of an Icon than Dime, but i own more Pantera CDs than Beatles CDs :unsure:

Even more insane is that you keep bringing that name up after 37 people have asked you not to....

As for Dimebag, I can't even put in to words what an impact that night had on me. Everytime I see the documentary I just cry man. Long live one of the best guitarist ever. Cheers...here's a Black Tooth Grin on me bud ;)

it is an irony that here i am arguing that Lennon was more of an Icon than Dime, but i own more Pantera CDs than Beatles CDs :unsure:

Even more insane is that you keep bringing that name up after 37 people have asked you not to....

As for Dimebag, I can't even put in to words what an impact that night had on me. Everytime I see the documentary I just cry man. Long live one of the best guitarist ever. Cheers...here's a Black Tooth Grin on me bud ;)

I'd love a Black Tooth Grin but I think I'm out of Seagrams. :doh:

Seriously I recommend any Dime fans picking up his new book "He Came to Rock".

I bought my copy at Best Buy and it came with the "Dimevision" DVD that has a bunch of footage that is similar to the crazy antices from the different Pantera home videos.

To be honest I probably prefer Pantera for the influence they had on modern Metal, rather than the music they actually made themselves (which, apart from a couple of great albums, was a bit patchy). Plus the obvious fact that they carried Metal throughout the 90's when bands like Megadeth/Metallica/Slayer were making mostly poor albums, but they still took them out on tour....

The crunchy/grooving guitar sound and the rhythmic drumming is to be found all over the modern Metal bands - like Slipknot, Machine Head, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Trivium etc - and they were so obviously influenced by Dime's style that, without him, these bands would sound a lot different or not exist... :headbanger:

To be honest I probably prefer Pantera for the influence they had on modern Metal, rather than the music they actually made themselves (which, apart from a couple of great albums, was a bit patchy). Plus the obvious fact that they carried Metal throughout the 90's when bands like Megadeth/Metallica/Slayer were making mostly poor albums, but they still took them out on tour....

The crunchy/grooving guitar sound and the rhythmic drumming is to be found all over the modern Metal bands - like Slipknot, Machine Head, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Trivium etc - and they were so obviously influenced by Dime's style that, without him, these bands would sound a lot different or not exist... :headbanger:

Totally backed on Dime and Pantera influencing the new Generation. :headbanger:

In a row?! :yikes:

Don't be a cunt :)

:rofl2:

:rofl2: x 2

In a row?! :yikes:

Don't be a cunt :)

:rofl2:

:rofl2: x 2

:rofl2: X 3

He said Cunt!

does anyone get the reference tho...

cause i dont remember that being the reply originally :unsure:

Yea, I got it... your "37 in a row" would be a "Clerks" reference.

As for Mullet's response, I think he was simply telling you to stop being a c*nt.

As for Mullet's response, I think he was simply telling you to stop being a c*nt.

ah gotcha ;)

ive just been in a c*nty mood the last few days :unsure:

i dont know why...

i dont know why...

Smoke more dope. :pimp:

ah gotcha ;)

i dont know why...

The "festive" season.

ah gotcha ;)

i dont know why...

The "festive" season.

Testicular droppage?

• 11 months later...

Not a good day in Rock History. Dimebag and John Lennon both bit it on the same date. :(

Listened to both "Cowboys from Hell" AND "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" today.

I wonder if I am the only One listening to Rebel Meets Rebel??

Thought so...... :whistle:

Or listening to the song "Side of a Bullet" By Nickelback?? That is about DImebag's murder on stage.. GOOD tune.... :headbanger:

Not a Nickelback fan but do like 'Side of a Bullet' mostly because it's about Dime.

The Rebel to Rebel was cool and very different but I didn't love it to be honest.

I much prefered Damageplan.