Firefest VI

Glen

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one month from now guys :headbanger:

Can't wait mate - should be a rockin' day!! :tumbsup:

see theyve got a clip of a new FM song over at Melrock..........cant listen at work tho.

Also doors at 12, Airrace at 12.20...........and I need to get a beer in that time too. touch and go me thinks. why the fuck dont they do doors at 11.30am ????

Are either of you guys staying over in Nottingham the Saturday night afterwards?

Are either of you guys staying over in Nottingham the Saturday night afterwards?

I may have a couple of mates coming with me, so probably not.

Yeah, me and me bro are staying at the Holiday Inn, Castle Marina.

I mean you cant get pissed and drive home now can you !

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the tickets for Firefest a few months ago,but I finally can't make the trip to Nottingham,due to personal problems...It's too bad for me.I will not see bands that I love ,and it seems that these bands will never make a concert in Greece,where I live...

Brilliant day yesterday - Good to catch up with TIM(2) and Glen whilst enjoying a fantastic day of top quality bands.

Airrace - Opened up in style with a great 30 minute set mainly from 'Shaft Of Light'. Keth Murrell still has the pipes and all the band seemed to be having a great time. Really enjoyable and I look forward to seeing them again soon. Great start.

The Poodles - I can't say they completely got my heart racing, although they were a good, tight band. Set list was a good mix of all 3 albums, with finisher 'Night Of Passion' being my highlight. Very enjoyable without being mindblowing

Drive, She Said - I Was really looking forward to these guys again after seeing them way back, but they had a bit of a nightmare gig it must be said. It all started off ok with the Touch classic' Don't You Know What Love Is', but shortly afterwards technical problems with the Keyboards ruined pretty much the rest of the set, especially on 'Maybe It's Love' and the medley section which were truly awful. The guys soldiered on, but it was really too late for a recovery. Ditch the 'Funky' bass player aswell guys - he was shite!!

Romeo's Daughter - WOW Big surprise of the day. Absolutely fantastic set, with a really tight, top class band. Good set list, with great versions of 'Wild Child', 'Attracted To The Animal', 'Heaven In The Backseat' and a brilliant 'Hymn (Look Through Golden Eyes) amongst others. For a comeback gig this was brilliant and they went down an absolute storm and there is a promise of more to come. I'll definitely be buying a ticket.

White Sister - Missed them at last years Firefest where they were the surprise band of the day, but boy, were they great again this time. 'Promises' 'Can't Say No' and all the other great tracks from the classic debut, along with a new track 'Hollywood Nights' and 'Save Me Tonight' from 'Fashion By Passion' made up a great set list. Dennis Churchill still has a mighty voice and the whole band was well up for it and put on a fantastic show. Hopefully they will get a new CD out and pronto.

Crown Of Thorns - Not my major reason for being at Firefest it must be said. I watched the first few songs which were ok, but decided the call of much needed food was more important - Glen I am sure will fill you in.

Honeymoon Suite - 4th time seeing them and they have never done a bad one . Today was no different and they put on a blinding show. The set list comprised most of the top tracks from the excellent debut and mighty Big Prize' albums as you would expect, plus a fantastic version of 'Still Lovin' You' from 'Dreamland' and 'She Ain't Alright' from the recent 'Clifton Hill' disc. First band of the day for an encore and they finished with a great version of 'Love Changes Everything'. Along with Romeo's Daughter and FM, they recived the best response of the day and were definitely my top band of the day.

FM - Again I missed their comeback gig at last years Firefest, but this was a really really good show. New song 'Wildside' opened the hour long set and if the rest of the new album is like this, then we are in for a real treat. The rest of the set was all the classics from 'Indiscreet' (That Girl, Frozen Heart, Face To Face) and 'Tough It Out (Bad Luck, Don't Stop') aswell as 'Blood And Gasoline', 'Heard It Through The Grapevine' 'Only The Strong Survive' and the b' side 'Dangerous' was a nice inclusion. Band sounded great, Steve Overland was awesome as usual and the new guitar player impressed aswell. Good to see this band back and still sounding really good.

So all in all a brilliant day, with the best bands for me being Honeymoon Suite, Romeo's Daughter and White Sister, although there were no real turkeys it must be said. Sound system for all the bands was excellent, (although it seemed to get worse for Crown Of Thorns for some reason), all bands were on time and the general running of the whole show was top notch, so congrats to all involved putting it all together. Roll on Firefest VII

Brilliant day yesterday - Good to catch up with TIM(2) and Glen whilst enjoying a fantastic day of top quality bands.

Airrace - Opened up in style with a great 30 minute set mainly from 'Shaft Of Light'. Keth Murrell still has the pipes and all the band seemed to be having a great time. Really enjoyable and I look forward to seeing them again soon. Great start.

The Poodles - I can't say they completely got my heart racing, although they were a good, tight band. Set list was a good mix of all 3 albums, with finisher 'Night Of Passion' being my highlight. Very enjoyable without being mindblowing

Drive, She Said - I Was really looking forward to these guys again after seeing them way back, but they had a bit of a nightmare gig it must be said. It all started off ok with the Touch classic' Don't You Know What Love Is', but shortly afterwards technical problems with the Keyboards ruined pretty much the rest of the set, especially on 'Maybe It's Love' and the medley section which were truly awful. The guys soldiered on, but it was really too late for a recovery. Ditch the 'Funky' bass player aswell guys - he was shite!!

Romeo's Daughter - WOW Big surprise of the day. Absolutely fantastic set, with a really tight, top class band. Good set list, with great versions of 'Wild Child', 'Attracted To The Animal', 'Heaven In The Backseat' and a brilliant 'Hymn (Look Through Golden Eyes) amongst others. For a comeback gig this was brilliant and they went down an absolute storm and there is a promise of more to come. I'll definitely be buying a ticket.

White Sister - Missed them at last years Firefest where they were the surprise band of the day, but boy, were they great again this time. 'Promises' 'Can't Say No' and all the other great tracks from the classic debut, along with a new track 'Hollywood Nights' and 'Save Me Tonight' from 'Fashion By Passion' made up a great set list. Dennis Churchill still has a mighty voice and the whole band was well up for it and put on a fantastic show. Hopefully they will get a new CD out and pronto.

Crown Of Thorns - Not my major reason for being at Firefest it must be said. I watched the first few songs which were ok, but decided the call of much needed food was more important - Glen I am sure will fill you in.

Honeymoon Suite - 4th time seeing them and they have never done a bad one . Today was no different and they put on a blinding show. The set list comprised most of the top tracks from the excellent debut and mighty Big Prize' albums as you would expect, plus a fantastic version of 'Still Lovin' You' from 'Dreamland' and 'She Ain't Alright' from the recent 'Clifton Hill' disc. First band of the day for an encore and they finished with a great version of 'Love Changes Everything'. Along with Romeo's Daughter and FM, they recived the best response of the day and were definitely my top band of the day.

FM - Again I missed their comeback gig at last years Firefest, but this was a really really good show. New song 'Wildside' opened the hour long set and if the rest of the new album is like this, then we are in for a real treat. The rest of the set was all the classics from 'Indiscreet' (That Girl, Frozen Heart, Face To Face) and 'Tough It Out (Bad Luck, Don't Stop') aswell as 'Blood And Gasoline', 'Heard It Through The Grapevine' 'Only The Strong Survive' and the b' side 'Dangerous' was a nice inclusion. Band sounded great, Steve Overland was awesome as usual and the new guitar player impressed aswell. Good to see this band back and still sounding really good.

So all in all a brilliant day, with the best bands for me being Honeymoon Suite, Romeo's Daughter and White Sister, although there were no real turkeys it must be said. Sound system for all the bands was excellent, (although it seemed to get worse for Crown Of Thorns for some reason), all bands were on time and the general running of the whole show was top notch, so congrats to all involved putting it all together. Roll on Firefest VII

Sounds great Jez, did you get any pics?

Yeah I pretty much agree with Jez. Even though I got there late and left early (before FM) I'd definitely rate HONEYMOON SUITE as band of the day - what an awesome song selection. "Love Changes Everything", "Other Side of Midnight", "What Does It Take", "Feel It Again", "Still Lovin' You" - all my fave songs were present, and a killer sound & awesome vocals just made the whole thing flawless. Just wish they'd have played longer!

WHITE SISTER were the big surprise for me. Never heard any recorded material, but LOVED it. Amazing vocalist & a great show.

CROWN OF THORNS were the ideal band for grabbing the chance to disappear for food!

WHITE SISTER were the big surprise for me. Never heard any recorded material, but LOVED it. Amazing vocalist & a great show.

Jeez mate, you need to get their debut before you buy your next meal... it is that vital!

Jeez mate, you need to get their debut before you buy your next meal... it is that vital!

I was bangin' on at him all afternoon about it, don't worry! :)

Wow, not a lot of love for Crown Of Thorns from you 2??

I know you disappeared for food, but I thought they were great!

Not too sure of running order but all the following were played (plus a couple i didnt know) and mostly kicked arse!

Faith

The Healer

Lost Cathedral

Standin On The Corner For Ya

Motorcycle Loretta

Dyin For Love

Gotta Get Close To You

Before It Slips Away

Crown Of Thorns

How can you not love that! Sound was a bit rough....but they were still great!

I though the band of the day was White Sister......they were as good as last year, and basically played the debut! Promises, Straight For The Heart and the awesome Whips were just so cool.

Having read some of Kieran's comments over at Melrock, it would appear that they are far from happy with Rock City as a venue. It must be said that the joint is a hovel and if they did move the venue for next year i wont be complaining too much!

But, will it next year happen? - well not without some sort of sponsership it would seem. Everyone knows what a financial burden the show is on the guys - apparently they had some good offers over the weekend but it will be interesting to see if any of these actually keep their word when the beer and hangovers clear.

I hope they do as id love to see another show in 2010.

Great to catch up with Jez and Tim as well - both top guys.

Cheers