Black Sabbath

Faron

Always been a big fan of Sabbath, loved them when Dio came along and made arguably their greatest ever album and then followed it with a very good Mob Rules. Liked the post Dio stuff too.

But

How good was the classic era, I still think that all the Ozzy era albums sound fantastic and this is a band I`ve been playing regularly since 1980!

Their first 6 albums I would categorise with the very over used term (especially by myself) CLASSIC :bowdown:

Interestingly, within this forum, the Dio era seems to be favoured more!

Any real lovers of this great band :tumbsup:

83075.jpg

Black Sabbath

The Wizard

Behind The Wall Of Sleep

N.I.B

285082.jpg

War Pigs

Paranoid

Iron Man

Electric Funeral

Fairies Wear Boots

83087.jpg

Sweet Leaf

Children Of The Grave

Into The Void

83102.jpg

Wheels Of Confusion

Tomorrow`s Dream

Changes

Snowblind

Cornucopia

83094.jpg

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

A National Acrobat

Killing Yourself To Live

Spiral Architect

83096.jpg

Hole In The Sky

Symptom Of The Universe

Megalomania

Am I Going Insane

The Writ

83098.jpg

You Won't Change Me

Gypsy

Dirty Women

83090.jpg

Never Say Die

Johnny Blade

Shock Wave

Air Dance

Over to You

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They invented Heavy Metal and are/were a great band.

Their first 6 albums with Ozzy were great especially the first four.

The following two get a lot of shit and are kind of lame compared to what came before.

I'll always prefer the Dio era of the band and loved the Hughes and Martin eras of the band but the original lineup great as well and if wasn't for them there wouldn't be Metal as we know it, or should I say hear it.

My favorite band period. When I heard "We Sold Our Souls" at the age of 12, it changed my life. I love pretty much everything the band has done with the except of "Forbidden" which was just pathetic. I do prefer the Ozzy-era first but the Dio material is just as essential IMO. I don't think the Sabbath name should have been used for all the releases but that's secondary. I consider "Born Again", "7th Star" and "Eternal Idol" as classics as well. Great band that always gets plenty of airplay at my house.

When I was in junior high I bought a We Sold Our Souls cassette tape at a gas station one Sunday when I was supposed to be at church (how wrong is that??). Snowblind kicked my ass!!! I have all of the Sabbath cd's in my car (minus Forbidden) and I have to say they are all good each in their own way (minus Forbidden).

Great band, and the first 6 Ozzy discs are all excellent, although I must admit, I am tiring a little of hearing the 'S/T & 'Paranoid' after so many times'. The 3 Dio era studio discs still beat those albums for me in quality and consistency of songs, and as much as I like old Ozzy, Dio kills him as a vocalist.

Great band, and the first 6 Ozzy discs are all excellent, although I must admit, I am tiring a little of hearing the 'S/T & 'Paranoid' after so many times'. The 3 Dio era studio discs still beat those albums for me in quality and consistency of songs, and as much as I like old Ozzy, Dio kills him as a vocalist.

:bowdown:

Not saying I don't like the later Sabbath stuff but the Ozzy era to me is the real Black Sabbath.

Backed...though I was never a fan of the Ozzy era, yeah they are Classic releases

but when Dio stepped in, the band BECAME such a better band...Ronnie writes

his OWN Lyrics and plays Guitar and Bass so he has a much better grasp on music

than Ozzy...Most people don't realize that "Geezer" wrote most,if not all

the lyrics that Ozzy sang..Ozzy wrote none...

They invented Heavy Metal and are/were a great band.

Their first 6 albums with Ozzy were great especially the first four.

The following two get a lot of shit and are kind of lame compared to what came before.

I'll always prefer the Dio era of the band and loved the Hughes and Martin eras of the band but the original lineup great as well and if wasn't for them there wouldn't be Metal as we know it, or should I say hear it.

I was loooking forward to your opinion on this Wes as you`re a big Dio fan.

Very nicely summed mate :tumbsup:

My favorite band period. When I heard "We Sold Our Souls" at the age of 12, it changed my life. I love pretty much everything the band has done with the except of "Forbidden" which was just pathetic. I do prefer the Ozzy-era first but the Dio material is just as essential IMO. I don't think the Sabbath name should have been used for all the releases but that's secondary. I consider "Born Again", "7th Star" and "Eternal Idol" as classics as well. Great band that always gets plenty of airplay at my house.

I used to play Sold Our Souls all the time when I was a young lad :tumbsup:

I`ve not heard Forbidden, whats so bad about this one mate?

When I was in junior high I bought a We Sold Our Souls cassette tape at a gas station one Sunday when I was supposed to be at church (how wrong is that??). Snowblind kicked my ass!!! I have all of the Sabbath cd's in my car (minus Forbidden) and I have to say they are all good each in their own way (minus Forbidden).

ALL Sabbath albums have there good points, some more than others but still disappointed the Black Sabbath name was used for all projects :tumbsup:

It`s all down to opinion and differing tastes Jez but do you really rate Dehumanizer above any of the big six? :o

The other 2 Dio era albums are arguably as good as any of the Ozzy era! :tumbsup:

Not saying I don't like the later Sabbath stuff but the Ozzy era to me is the real Black Sabbath.

Well said Dave :tumbsup:

It was produced by Ernie C. (guitarist of Body Count) and has a guest appearance by Ice-T on one track. Nuff said.

Backed...though I was never a fan of the Ozzy era, yeah they are Classic releases

but when Dio stepped in, the band BECAME such a better band...Ronnie writes

his OWN Lyrics and plays Guitar and Bass so he has a much better grasp on music

than Ozzy...Most people don't realize that "Geezer" wrote most,if not all

the lyrics that Ozzy sang..Ozzy wrote none...

Nice bit of insight into Geezer writing most if not all of the lyrics :tumbsup:

I would say that with Dio they became a different band, rejuvenated definitely :tumbsup:

It was produced by Ernie C. (guitarist of Body Count) and has a guest appearance by Ice-T on one track. Nuff said.

This has been posted somewhere in here, just jogged my memory mate :tumbsup:

It`s all down to opinion and differing tastes Jez but do you really rate Dehumanizer above any of the big six? :o

The other 2 Dio era albums are arguably as good as any of the Ozzy era! :tumbsup:

'Dehumanizer' is definitley the weakest of the three, but it has some excellent tracks on it. I wouldn't say it is beter or worse than the earlier stuff, but 'H&H' & 'Mob' I would say are better than any of the others and the best stuff the band has ever done.

Indeed a matter of taste and opinion in the end mate.

'Dehumanizer' is definitley the weakest of the three, but it has some excellent tracks on it. I wouldn't say it is beter or worse than the earlier stuff, but 'H&H' & 'Mob' I would say are better than any of the others and the best stuff the band has ever done.

Indeed a matter of taste and opinion in the end mate.

There will always be a divide in opinion Jez, especially with great music :tumbsup:

Ozzy can't write lyrics - never has; never will - he and that sea hag he's married to merely buy the credit from the writer (Bob Daisley, or whomever else) for something like a half-million bucks up front, then sit back and collect praise and royalties on them. Suicide Solution was written by Bob Daisley, and is about Ozzy's drinking problem at that time; it is NOT about Bon Scott, as Ozzy likes to tell everyone. The man can't even string a coherent sentence together - only fans with blind loyalty believe he can pen understandable lyrics.

Ozzy can't write lyrics - never has; never will - he and that sea hag he's married to merely buy the credit from the writer (Bob Daisley, or whomever else) for something like a half-million bucks up front, then sit back and collect praise and royalties on them. Suicide Solution was written by Bob Daisley, and is about Ozzy's drinking problem at that time; it is NOT about Bon Scott, as Ozzy likes to tell everyone. The man can't even string a coherent sentence together - only fans with blind loyalty believe he can pen understandable lyrics.

I agree Bob wrote all of that early stuff and then got f#@ked out of royalties.

Also Lemmy wrote most of the lyrics on No More Tears.

Lemmy wrote 4 songs on NMT and 2 On Ozzmosis...Bob Daisley and

Don Airey wrote 90-95 percent of all the lyrics on the first two releases.

Randy Rhodes wrote some lyrics too...as stated, Ozzy can't speak

more than 3 words in a sentance..

Lemmy wrote 4 songs on NMT and 2 On Ozzmosis...Bob Daisley and

Don Airey wrote 90-95 percent of all the lyrics on the first two releases.

Randy Rhodes wrote some lyrics too...as stated, Ozzy can't speak

more than 3 words in a sentance..

Don Airey? Wasn't he in Rainbow at this time?

I thought it was Lee Kerslake and Bob that did most of the writing along with Randy.