Who is your favorite guitarist?

Definately depends on what style of music is being played who my favorite is.

I really enjoy Pat Methany.

I really like the guys from Tesla, great sound and they really compliment one another nicely and shred!

Dweezil, although a major copycat, is a good player.

Always like Rocky from Suicidal Tendencies. Amazing shredder and the Pirates hat was sweet. :)

Chuck Berry was an amazing player/innovator.

As Geo says Yngwie is an amazingly technical player and is faster than poop thru a goose, but there is something about the majority of "instrumental guitarists in rock music that bother me, don't know what it is though...

What's always a lot of fun for me anyway is hearing other artists play other artists music. Be it in covers, tributes or like Hear N Aide...

Ace Frehley will always be at the top of my list regardless of his technical prowess or lack thereof. A completely overlooked rhythm player, he also can create a tasty lick and has plenty of memorable solos.

Kim Mitchell is the best Canadian guitarist ever (sorry Alex and Ric) and may be the most eclectic rock player of all time.

Yngwie J. Malmsteen is a guy most people either love or hate to listen to. Put me in the love camp.

Ace Frehley will always be at the top of my list regardless of his technical prowess or lack thereof. A completely overlooked rhythm player, he also can create a tasty lick and has plenty of memorable solos.

Always has been my favorite too. :bowdown:

I was even a member of his Rock Soldiers fan club in the early 90's. :tumbsup:

Gee...i don't know-Sorry Mr.Dead Planet your question is TOO hard to answer. :doh:

Ok,"Mr.Scary" on the strength of 80's Dokken and the skeleton guitar...

Backed!! George is a guitar God!!

The Heavenly Eddie Van Halen

Dimebag Darrell

Mike Dmitrovich

Harry Cody

Steve Lukather

Al DiMieola

Pat Metheny

John Schofield

Frank Zappa

David Lee Murphy

Tommy Victor

Mark Diglio

Barish Kepic

King and Hanneman

Watson & Gillis

Thorpe & McGee (Vicious Rumours)

Conde & Chavez (Drive)

George & Clark (Suicidle)

Dimebag Darrell

:bowdown:

very overrated, imo.

Interesting comment! how so? he played some very complexed chops! I mean unless im just slow and play guitar like shit, it took me a few minutes to get Cowboys From Hell sounded out! their arent a whole lot of american guitarists that are in the mainstream that even play a riff that makes me want to listen, let alone go home and sound it out, Dimebag was just different guitrist, but he was everybit as good as the competition, I thought he smokes the frets up! Overated is the term the brings Joe Perry and Angus Young to mind, at least for me, not a whole lot of variation or difficulty in those 2 guys playing!

Dimebag Darrell

:bowdown:

very overrated, imo.

Interesting comment! how so? he played some very complexed chops! I mean unless im just slow and play guitar like shit, it took me a few minutes to get Cowboys From Hell sounded out! their arent a whole lot of american guitarists that are in the mainstream that even play a riff that makes me want to listen, let alone go home and sound it out, Dimebag was just different guitrist, but he was everybit as good as the competition, I thought he smokes the frets up! Overated is the term the brings Joe Perry and Angus Young to mind, at least for me, not a whole lot of variation or difficulty in those 2 guys playing!

There is no fucking way that Darrell Abbott is overrated as a guitar player.

He played the 80's shredder style on their first four albums in the same way that Rhoads, EVH and many others in the 80's did. Of course he was doing those things when he only 15 years old when many others took until their mid 20's to play that good if ever. Then in the 90's starting with CFH he invented a new way to play that influenced pretty much every guitar player that played metal throughout the 90's and beyond the same way that Iommi influnced so many players from he did with Sabbath.

Gee...i don't know-Sorry Mr.Dead Planet your question is TOO hard to answer. :doh:

Backed, backed George is my favorite guitar player along with....

Glen Tipton

KK Downing

Kerry King

Hank Sherman

Chris Holmes

Robin Crosby RIP

Just to name a few.

Robin Crosby RIP

Robin was so so underrated IMO. :headbanger:

Robin Crosby RIP

Yes...yes he was.

Robin Crosby RIP

Yes...yes he was.

Agree with you both! Robin was a very good guitarist.

How the fuck could I forget Paige Hamilton??? maybe because Im an idiot!

and of course the guitarist that inspired me to pick up an axe for my first time, the guitarist from Roxette! perhaps nobody, has ever done the things to a fretboard that he has done, he is Epic!

• 3 months later...

One of my fave duos are Beaulieu and Heafy from Trivium. Saw them live in Vegas on Saturday night and these guys just shred - is great to hear a modern band play such awesome solos with plenty of duels. Heafy stood right next to me at one point playing when he came into the crowd and it was killer. He gets stick for his vocals (quite rightly) but his playing is sensational for a young kid.

P.s. I also sat at the same table as him when he had lunch with his parents before the gig - nice guy.

• 7 years later...

For the longest time, it's always been Steve Vai. I think he reached the summit of rock guitar. And then I discovered Europe's answer to Vai - Mattias Eklundh. BUT their style sometimes gets very tiring to the ear, so these are my favorite as of late:

Nuno

Harry Cody

Akira Takasaki

Derek Trucks