Disciple Southern Hospitality pre-oreder info

lizzy

The thing I love about these solos is they're no longer those lazy sympathy solos a few modern bands used to throw on their discs at random a few years ago (eg. Goo Goo Dolls etc.). These solos kick the ass out of most MHR bands I've heard this year. They're those big juicy shredding solos which remind me of why I got into hard rock in the first place. Props to Story of the Year, Escape the Fate and a few other like-minded bands for really ripping some world class solos again.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I love about these solos is they're no longer those lazy sympathy solos a few modern bands used to throw on their discs at random a few years ago (eg. Goo Goo Dolls etc.). These solos kick the ass out of most MHR bands I've heard this year. They're those big juicy shredding solos which remind me of why I got into hard rock in the first place. Props to Story of the Year, Escape the Fate and a few other like-minded bands for really ripping some world class solos again.

Agreed, that's always been the thing missing for me on modern rock albums - no solos!

But there are a couple of excellent solos on the each of last 2 SOTY albums, and now on the new Disciple.

King of solos in the modern genre will always be Alter Bridge - Tremonti is a world class guitarist and proved it on 'Blackbird' with a world class solo. & be4 you tell me again that they suck - I know that's what you think - but I love em, so :nyanya:

:drink:

No, not better than 'Scars Remain'.........there are one or two fillers on the newie, but none on SR.

Over and out.

You guys didn't think that nu-Metal song on "Scars Remain" was a filler (was it called "Game On"?)? Man that song absolutely sucked. I kinda liked "Scars Remain", and I loved that ballad "No End At All", but it's mostly just an okay Modern Rock disc IMO. I'm gonna live with this new album a while before giving my view as on first listen it's really just another decent but unspectacular disc (a million miles behind SOTY IMO). Maybe I'll have to notch this one up alongside that fucking HINDER as another Modern Rock band I just don't get....

No, not better than 'Scars Remain'.........there are one or two fillers on the newie, but none on SR.

Over and out.

You guys didn't think that nu-Metal song on "Scars Remain" was a filler (was it called "Game On"?)? Man that song absolutely sucked. I kinda liked "Scars Remain", and I loved that ballad "No End At All", but it's mostly just an okay Modern Rock disc IMO. I'm gonna live with this new album a while before giving my view as on first listen it's really just another decent but unspectacular disc (a million miles behind SOTY IMO). Maybe I'll have to notch this one up alongside that fucking HINDER as another Modern Rock band I just don't get....

Mmm 'Scars Remain' an okay modern rock disc?? I love that album. No filler in sight to these ears and 'Game On' might be a little NU-metalish but it absolutely kicks my arse from here to kingdon come so I'll forgive them that.

The newie isnt quite as good, but still contains at least 4 or 5 killers....'Romance Me', 'Whisper So Loud', 'Whatever Reason', 'Liar' and 'Falling Star' are all excellent.

As for Hinder - have you heard it yet?? Excellent album. Lyrically slightly one dimensional, but you cant deny that is a great bunch of songs???!

cheers

Over and out.

"Game On" was a 'filler' to you?! Uhhh.....ok Timbo......

To me "Game On" is like the ultimate 'pump me up' song! And that kind of piques my interest that you think that's filler...because you admittedly like...or have liked some really, to me...horrid Death Metal-y stuff....which adds to the mystery of your musical tastes! LOL

But to each their own, obviously.

Disciple fucking rocks for anyone who will care to listen. And the new song "3,2,1" should rock everybody's world who posts on these message boards.....

I loved 'Game On' too. Such an aggressive, angry and full-on song. I'm not really getting the nu-metal vibe at all from these guys. That's one genre I kind of grew to hate, but to me Disciple is just straight up hard rock. If the tempo's a little slower on a few songs I just look at them as slower paced hard rock tunes rather than anything nu-metalish. But I'm not sure if that's just because of my rose coloured glasses I wear when I look at this band.

Glen, I noticed 'On My Way Down' isn't in your list of faves from the new disc. Please put it there immediately.

Glen, I noticed 'On My Way Down' isn't in your list of faves from the new disc. Please put it there immediately.

I thought that as I typed, but couldnt remember the name of the track - that for sure is a killer track.

In fact I like them all.....Phoenix is really growing on me too.

I thought that as I typed, but couldnt remember the name of the track - that for sure is a killer track.

In fact I like them all.....Phoenix is really growing on me too.

Yeah, I love them all too except 'Lay My Burdens'.

So I've really given this new one a good few spins, & as I suspected it's just not doing it for me. Apart from the excellent Hard Rock of "321", and the two truly outstanding cuts on this disc: "Whatever Reason" & "Right There", this all goes in one ear and out the other. Like a much less catchy SOTY. Nothings horrible (except the opener), but it actually does less for me than "Scars Remain", which I actually kinda liked. Am definitely not hearing what everyone else is here, just pleasant but very un-memorable Modern Rock IMHO....

So I've really given this new one a good few spins, & as I suspected it's just not doing it for me. Apart from the excellent Hard Rock of "321", and the two truly outstanding cuts on this disc: "Whatever Reason" & "Right There", this all goes in one ear and out the other. Like a much less catchy SOTY. Nothings horrible (except the opener), but it actually does less for me than "Scars Remain", which I actually kinda liked. Am definitely not hearing what everyone else is here, just pleasant but very un-memorable Modern Rock IMHO....

Well it certainly kills off Funeral For A Friend which to me is just dull, dull, dull and definitely wont be making my modern top 10.

I agree with you tho that its nowhere near SOTY.

I still love the disc and would definitely put it on par with SOTY, except the rawer sound of Disciple is a little tiny area of concern for me. As much as I love SOTY I just think Disciple has a few more stand-outs - 'Romance Me', '321', 'Whatever Reason', 'Falling Star, 'Right There', 'On My Way Down' and 'Savior'.

Although I love every single track on the SOTY album I'd only put 'Message to the world', 'Tell me', 'We're not gonna make it' and 'Terrified'... with 'Save one' and a couple of the other bonus tracks making the list on par with Disciple's best. In the end there's only one or two tracks in it, and the overall sound of SOTY is better... but Disciple slightly edges them out for me. And FFAF would be next in line. Killer disc.

At the end of the day, Hinder seems to be the clear winner in the modern rock game this year, imo.

Although I love every single track on the SOTY album I'd only put 'Message to the world', 'Tell me', 'We're not gonna make it' and 'Terrified'... with 'Save one' and a couple of the other bonus tracks making the list on par with Disciple's best. In the end there's only one or two tracks in it, and the overall sound of SOTY is better... but Disciple slightly edges them out for me.

:screwy:

the first 4 tracks on SOTY are all completely awesome. Black Swan is a masterpiece. All 5 bonus tracks are complete killers, esp The Virus, Turn Up The Radio and The Truth Shall Set Me Free. Message To The world is another absolute gem.

Plus you have a great ballad in Terrified.

To me thats at least 12 killers on one album......and the rest aint bad either.

Still No 1 for me.

& it absolutely wipes FFAF off the face of planet earth IMHO.

At the end of the day, Hinder seems to be the clear winner in the modern rock game this year, imo.

Sorry mate, that Hinder sucks. I like Modern Rock to sound Modern, not like a load of Guns n' Roses b-sides from the 80's. Despite my indifference to them, Disciple are a way better band than Hinder. And I do love that "Whatever Reason" tune, just like I loved "No End At All" from "Scars Remain". The flawless Story of the Year album kills these other bands IMHO....

Sorry mate, that Hinder sucks. I like Modern Rock to sound Modern, not like a load of Guns n' Roses b-sides from the 80's. Despite my indifference to them, Disciple are a way better band than Hinder. And I do love that "Whatever Reason" tune, just like I loved "No End At All" from "Scars Remain". The flawless Story of the Year album kills these other bands IMHO....

Damn you're impossible to please mate... :(

Damn you're impossible to please mate... :(

Well that's not what you tell your bosses. Back to work you go! :whistle:

Sorry mate, that Hinder sucks. I like Modern Rock to sound Modern, not like a load of Guns n' Roses b-sides from the 80's.

:yikes: shocker of a comment.

Think you'll be pretty alone with that opinion mate.

Axl would have killed to have some of these tracks on Chinese Demo!!

Hey ho.

Sorry mate, that Hinder sucks. I like Modern Rock to sound Modern, not like a load of Guns n' Roses b-sides from the 80's.

Hey ho.

95% of the bands on this site would kill to be able to write songs like these...

Hey ho.

I dunno, sorry I just don't hear it. I really get why you guys love Disciple, I really do. Just because a lot of their hooks don't grab me as much as some other bands doesn't mean it's a bad listen. But Hinder is just not for me at all...

Hey ho.

But Hinder is just not for me at all...

You might as well have written '80's melodic hard rock is just not for me at all.......'

same thing.

except the rawer sound of Disciple is a little tiny area of concern for me.

:lol: In my anxiety to hear this asap I got my hands on a low-quality recorded version of the disc. Just heard the proper final version this weekend and this issue is no longer a concern. This album is excellent in every way. I have to say, there is really not much between this and Hinder, fighting for that top spot.

:lol: In my anxiety to hear this asap I got my hands on a low-quality recorded version of the disc. Just heard the proper final version this weekend and this issue is no longer a concern. This album is excellent in every way. I have to say, there is really not much between this and Hinder, fighting for that top spot.

Yeah you just need Disciple to release about 4 or 5 killer bonus tracks now like Hinder, SOTY and Shinedown :tumbsup:

That would be nice.

Yeah you just need Disciple to release about 4 or 5 killer bonus tracks now like Hinder, SOTY and Shinedown :tumbsup:

That would be nice.

Must admit, I've thought the same thing. I wonder if there are any out there...

• 1 month later...
Just heard "Falling Over" on Pandora.com and me likey... is it all like this, or what is recommended I start out with?

"Falling Over" is off their self-titled CD, which was the first album on which they began commercializing their sound into the hard-hitting modern hard rock/metal style they are currently known for. While that CD is good, their next two ("Scars Remain" & "Southern Hospitality") are definitely the best of the bunch. Start with either of those...they're both equally excellent in my opinion, though most Disciple fans seem to give a slight edge to "Scars Remain." Even better, they're both actually available, unlike a certain FarCry album I could mention... ;)

Just heard "Falling Over" on Pandora.com and me likey... is it all like this, or what is recommended I start out with?

unlike a certain FarCry album I could mention... ;)

I'm certain I have no idea of what you speak... ;)

BTW... just so you know, I personally booked the flight for our singer to head back into the studio for the final vocal tweaks needed to complete the recording process so this will be coming out soon. More info to come.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Disciple, methinks I'll be picking up some very soon... :banger: