Monty Are I

Glen

I really like this. To be honest I've only bought 4 Modern Rock albums this year, compared to last years 15 or so. Monty Are I along with the Skillet would be my picks. I really didn't get into the Adelitas Way or the Daughtry.

I'd still pick last year's Story Of The Year, Shinedown, Hinder, Anberlin and Thriving Ivory ahead of anything from this year.

What I like about the Monty Are I is the fact that the songs aren't as instant and more complexe than any other modern stuff I picked up this year.

One thing I have noticed about my favourite modern albums this year is that in my top 13 there are 5 albums available only by download!! Now that sickens me. For the record, they are Fallbrooke, No Love Lost, Nural, Exit This Side and the criminally unreleased Vaeda album. All 5 albums are excellent and the fact that these are being withheld from the CD purchasing listener is very aggravating.

Anyway, I generally have been very impressed with modern rock this year. There's a few in my top 20 I'd highly recommend to you, mate. Well... all of them. :lol:

To be honest, Skillet and Daughtry drop down my list everytime I hear them (these guys sound so sad and depressed and it really annoys me - I just want to hit them) and holy shit, I just realised I'd neglected putting Adelitas Way in my list!!! I beg your forgiveness, Glen! Just slotted it in at number 12, in front of Skillet and just after Nural. Wow, what a miss. That is a solid disc... grows on me if anything.

Was Thriving Ivory from last year? Whoops, I put it in my list this year - only just heard it recently. I really dig that one too, mate. Vocals are extremely aquired taste, but some great lyrics, good melodies, no fillers and just strong songs. Nice album.

I really like this. To be honest I've only bought 4 Modern Rock albums this year, compared to last years 15 or so. Monty Are I along with the Skillet would be my picks. I really didn't get into the Adelitas Way or the Daughtry.

I'd still pick last year's Story Of The Year, Shinedown, Hinder, Anberlin and Thriving Ivory ahead of anything from this year.

What I like about the Monty Are I is the fact that the songs aren't as instant and more complexe than any other modern stuff I picked up this year.

One thing I have noticed about my favourite modern albums this year is that in my top 13 there are 5 albums available only by download!! Now that sickens me. For the record, they are Fallbrooke, No Love Lost, Nural, Exit This Side and the criminally unreleased Vaeda album. All 5 albums are excellent and the fact that these are being withheld from the CD purchasing listener is very aggravating.

Anyway, I generally have been very impressed with modern rock this year. There's a few in my top 20 I'd highly recommend to you, mate. Well... all of them. :lol:

To be honest, Skillet and Daughtry drop down my list everytime I hear them (these guys sound so sad and depressed and it really annoys me - I just want to hit them) and holy shit, I just realised I'd neglected putting Adelitas Way in my list!!! I beg your forgiveness, Glen! Just slotted it in at number 12, in front of Skillet and just after Nural. Wow, what a miss. That is a solid disc... grows on me if anything.

Was Thriving Ivory from last year? Whoops, I put it in my list this year - only just heard it recently. I really dig that one too, mate. Vocals are extremely aquired taste, but some great lyrics, good melodies, no fillers and just strong songs. Nice album.

I like a little challenge in my music, I find the Monty Are I has it, yet the others I mentioned don't. The Adelitas Way isn't bad, it's just there, nothing really stunning about it. the Skillet is catchy by force, yet gets sorta boring after awhile. The more I listen to the Monty Are I the better it gets and that is what makes agood disc. Revolve from D2 did nothing for me from the samples, but I still had to get it, the first spin impressed me a bit, the second got better, now the 100th makes me go crazy. Still my fav of the year.

That Thriving Ivory is sensational, the vocals are strange in an Anberlin/Five For Fighting way, but to me it is a flawless release, I enjoy every single track on it. I honestly pull it out alot more often than any of the other modern stuff from my best of list of 2008. It's original, I like that.

the Skillet is catchy by force, yet gets sorta boring after awhile.

That Thriving Ivory is sensational, the vocals are strange in an Anberlin/Five For Fighting way, but to me it is a flawless release, I enjoy every single track on it. I honestly pull it out alot more often than any of the other modern stuff from my best of list of 2008. It's original, I like that.

Yep, agree with you on the Skillet comment. I can't detect an ounce of sincerity on that CD (except maybe on 'Lucy'), and that really affects my listening to it. I don't get it. His voice is so similar to the guy from Hinder, but I just hate his voice whilst I've grown to not mind the guy from Hinder. The hooks, choruses and melodies are all there, but it just sounds forced and it's wearing thin on me. Plus they're so serious and boring all the time and I couldn't imagine the guys in the band smiling if they were paid $1,000,000 to flash a grin. Such a sad bunch of sacs.

As for Thriving Ivory... yeah, the dude almost sounds like an extreme version of Davy Vain to me. Very unique, but I agree. Great CD.

Oh, and on topic... yeah, Monty Are I (as noted with the name) are a little unique. Moreso on the debut which I don't like as much as the new CD... but the new CD just works perfectly for me.

I have their other album, and have heard some clips from this one, and it's pretty decent stuff. Enjoyable & definitely with some very strong tracks. But nothing that really excites me. Same can be said for most of the Modern Rock albums from this year so far. Good but not amazing. Aside from ATREYU, which is stunning, but that's more Screamo than Modern Rock I guess.

Have to disagree with you there Tim......the new Monty Are I album is killer. Totally unique in its sound, excellent lyrics.

And for the record, I still really like the Skillet album. Id agree on the dudue's voice which is pretty shite actually, but somehow it works on these songs. I listened to this again on the way home last night and there's barely a filler on board, and Lucy is still probably my fav ballad of the year....just excellent.

Let's just say that the modern rock scene is a hell of alot better than it was in the late 90's or early '00

True. I'm getting pretty tired of the pop/rock stuff though (All Time Low/Paramore etc), that sound has been done-to-death. Frankly the new Paramore disc is just boring & samey. These bands need to come up with a different sound or they'll be dead & gone in a few years....

I have their other album, and have heard some clips from this one, and it's pretty decent stuff. Enjoyable & definitely with some very strong tracks. But nothing that really excites me. Same can be said for most of the Modern Rock albums from this year so far. Good but not amazing. Aside from ATREYU, which is stunning, but that's more Screamo than Modern Rock I guess.

I think if you hear the full new Monty Are I album you'll be far more impressed than you are with the clips. The debut was very good, but the new one kills it in every department.

I also agree with your pop/rock comments, though I should add that for every bucketload of average releases there are still a gem or two that really work well. You should check out the new Boys Like Girls CD, for one.

And Glen, the funny thing is I pretty much agree that there are no (well, very few anyway) fillers on the new Skillet CD. They tick so many boxes, but there is just something massive missing when it comes to why they don't gel with me. Still a great CD... but yeah... just something missing.

And Glen, the funny thing is I pretty much agree that there are no (well, very few anyway) fillers on the new Skillet CD. They tick so many boxes, but there is just something massive missing when it comes to why they don't gel with me. Still a great CD... but yeah... just something missing.

I know what's missing....a surprise!!! I liked it right away and forgot about it not long after. I no longer have any reason to pull out the Skillet, I know exactly what to expect. They need a signature sound, something all to themselves, something unique. No matter how good the songs are, they are just there and did very little for me a few listens. The exceptions are Lucy and Awake And Alive.

I know what's missing....a surprise!!! I liked it right away and forgot about it not long after. I no longer have any reason to pull out the Skillet, I know exactly what to expect. They need a signature sound, something all to themselves, something unique. No matter how good the songs are, they are just there and did very little for me a few listens. The exceptions are Lucy and Awake And Alive.

yeah but you could say that about most modern albums. Very few have any longevity.....hence why I get all excited about a release, and then a few weeks later it fades into the pack.

A few which I keep coming back to in 2009 -

New Device - probably because its a grower

Nural - probably because there is some variety in the tracks

Monty Are I - again variety and a unique sound

Halestorm - probably cos it s chick singing...and thats pretty rare these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Glen, have you played 'Wall of people' and 'Break through the silence' back to back? Holy shit, I did it yesterday. We both agree 'Wall of people' is a great album and I still love it... and I think this is just an indication of how good 'Break through the silence' is... but 'Break through the silence' absolutely, totally and completely crushes the debut in every conceivable way. The new CD is sooo much catchier and chorus orientated... and it suits them to a T. Hope they stick at it with the new formula 'cause the new CD is magic. :)

Hey Glen, have you played 'Wall of people' and 'Break through the silence' back to back? Holy shit, I did it yesterday. We both agree 'Wall of people' is a great album and I still love it... and I think this is just an indication of how good 'Break through the silence' is... but 'Break through the silence' absolutely, totally and completely crushes the debut in every conceivable way. The new CD is sooo much catchier and chorus orientated... and it suits them to a T. Hope they stick at it with the new formula 'cause the new CD is magic. :)

Backed, there's only about 3 songs off the debut that would stand a chance of making the new album.

['Between The Sheets' / 'In This Legacy' & of course 'Only The Weak' which is still sensational!]

The newie is probably No 1 for me now too...........although I still love Skillet too.

Backed, there's only about 3 songs off the debut that would stand a chance of making the new album.

['Between The Sheets' / 'In This Legacy' & of course 'Only The Weak' which is still sensational!]

Agreed on those three, but I must admit 'Just in time' is my favourite track off the disc. Love that song.

1257777037_monty_are_i__break_through_the_silence_2009.jpg

Finally checkout out 'Break Through The Silence' to see what all the hype is about...and I could tell it would be a strong album after the first two songs. Awesome stuff and seriously, more people on this forum need to check it out. I'm probably not as in love with it as Geoff and Glen are but the first half if definately very very strong. The middle and end of the album (excluding the awesome 'On The Wire') is weaker in comparison to the first half and then the album finishes with 'Convoy Of Angels' which is also one of my favourites. An interesting album cover too. 'All Of You Tonight' and 'Mirage' are great songs with beautiful lyrics but maybe a bit too laid back.

My favourite tracks in order:

Break Through the Silence

Hope

Making Sounds

On The Wire

One In A Million

Convoy Of Angels

The Stand

All Of You Tonight

Mirage

Desert

Sand Riders Doomsday

Kaleidoscope

The Patriarch

Desert

Sand Riders Doomsday

Cant disagree with the first 5 songs being the best, but i absolutely love these 2 as well, esp Sand Riders Doomsday!

Patriach is total shite tho.

Desert

Sand Riders Doomsday

Cant disagree with the first 5 songs being the best, but i absolutely love these 2 as well, esp Sand Riders Doomsday!

Patriach is total shite tho.

Yeah Desert and Sand Riders are still very good songs and both are geting more enjoyable as I play them more.

Hope

Making Sounds

On The Wire

One In A Million

Convoy Of Angels

The Stand

All Of You Tonight

Mirage

Desert

Sand Riders Doomsday

Kaleidoscope

The Patriarch

Pretty respectable rankings there. I've made no secret of the fact that 'Making sounds' is my fave on the album and possibly my favourite song of the year, but any of those first few songs are excellent. Biggest surprise, I guess, is to see 'All of you tonight' so far down your list. That's one of my absolute faves on the disc - such a brilliant track.

Hope

Making Sounds

On The Wire

One In A Million

Convoy Of Angels

The Stand

All Of You Tonight

Mirage

Desert

Sand Riders Doomsday

Kaleidoscope

The Patriarch

Pretty respectable rankings there. I've made no secret of the fact that 'Making sounds' is my fave on the album and possibly my favourite song of the year, but any of those first few songs are excellent. Biggest surprise, I guess, is to see 'All of you tonight' so far down your list. That's one of my absolute faves on the disc - such a brilliant track.

Yeah a pretty good track and usually I rate the ballad type songs much higher but for me that song was missing something. Great lyrics though.

Hope

Making Sounds

On The Wire

One In A Million

Convoy Of Angels

The Stand

All Of You Tonight

Mirage

Desert

Sand Riders Doomsday

Kaleidoscope

The Patriarch

Yeah a pretty good track and usually I rate the ballad type songs much higher but for me that song was missing something. Great lyrics though.

Yeah, I absolutely love it. And I must say it was a real grower too. As far as I can tell it's a song about seducing your lover and seeing each curve of her breast and cleft in her vagina, but I also think it would be an amazing opener for a live show before they belt into one of their harder rocking numbers. Just a nice, atmospheric start before they blow people's faces apart.

• 5 years later...