Monty Are I

Glen

Ive been listening to this great little album from 2006 over the weekend.

Health warning : this album contains trumpets.....................but

.........dont let that put you off as this album is really really great. Trust me.

Things kick off with 'Between The Sheets' and this is an excellent modern rock song with a delicious hook. (& yes there are a few trumpets..........but it works!).

Castle Bound continues the excellence.

'Dublin Waltz' starts out sounding like it should be shit, but I love this track as well.

'Anchor & Hope' is another gem.

The mid part of the album has a bit of a lull where they sound more like Jellyfish.......but I still like 'Island City' and definitely like 'Metropolis' which is much better.

'In This Legacy' is the pure modern rock that I love. Another cool hook

But the album ends with 'Only The Weak' which is an absolute monster track with a Harem Scarem sized chorus. I just love this.

So..........OK there are some trumpets...but listen to these songs and then tell me this doesnt work. & all adds up to a really unique sounding, rather excellent modern rock album.

http://www.myspace.com/montyarei

If you dont do anything else, click on the link and download 'Only The Weak' which is one of the best modern rock songs Ive heard all year.

:drink:

Trumpets???? GASP!

Although, based on your words I will give this a go when I can.

There at least 4 gems on this that you will love. no question.

'Between The Sheets' is excellent and has been going round my head all morning.

There are a couple of fillers tho.

Trumpets???? GASP!

Although, based on your words I will give this a go when I can.

There at least 4 gems on this that you will love. no question.

'Between The Sheets' is excellent and has been going round my head all morning.

There are a couple of fillers tho.

Heard 'Between the sheets' - killer. The next song sounded cool too. I'll try to track this one down. Thanks for another good call.

I just heard this in full and holy shitballs, Glen, you found a gem here. I really love this. The funny thing is that if you hadn't mentioned the brass I wouldn't have thought twice about it as it's barely used and doesn't really interfere with the great songs. I'll listen to it several times over the next few days to comment further on it, but killer first impression.

Good to see some appreciation of this.

Right something of an update.........been listening to this pretty non-stop and have to say that this is one killer album!

Pretty much, the first 4 songs are all excellent. Esp the opener 'Between The Sheets' and 'Anchor & Hope' (which continues to kick my arse and is stuck in my head at mo!).

At first I wasnt too taken with 'O Brother', but I love this as well now. Great song and even the choir at the end works.

'Island City' is a gentle, clever song (like the use of the harpsichord) and its just great the way this flows into 'Metropolis'...which is a brilliant song. Really grown on me that one.

I ve spoken about 'In This Legacy' before, but this is a killer song. Great chorus and that bridge at about 2 mins just kicks my arse. :banger:

Lastly I just need to mention 'Just In Time'.....what a great ballad. The harmonies etc really work and the simple chorus is just right for this song.

All in all I love this album - unique sounding (with the odd brass moment), killer vocals/musicianship, and most importantly a great set of songs.

I think this and Disciple's 'Scars Remain' are the 2 best albums ive heard this year that are pre 08.

Right something of an update.........been listening to this pretty non-stop and have to say that this is one killer album!

Pretty much, the first 4 songs are all excellent. Esp the opener 'Between The Sheets' and 'Anchor & Hope' (which continues to kick my arse and is stuck in my head at mo!).

At first I wasnt too taken with 'O Brother', but I love this as well now. Great song and even the choir at the end works.

'Island City' is a gentle, clever song (like the use of the harpsichord) and its just great the way this flows into 'Metropolis'...which is a brilliant song. Really grown on me that one.

I ve spoken about 'In This Legacy' before, but this is a killer song. Great chorus and that bridge at about 2 mins just kicks my arse. :banger:

Lastly I just need to mention 'Just In Time'.....what a great ballad. The harmonies etc really work and the simple chorus is just right for this song.

All in all I love this album - unique sounding (with the odd brass moment), killer vocals/musicianship, and most importantly a great set of songs.

I think this and Disciple's 'Scars Remain' are the 2 best albums ive heard this year that are pre 08.

I had a little list yesterday on my hand of the tracks I liked, but I agree it's mostly great. I love towards the end the most. I think around track 7, 8 and 9 is just stunning. And then there's another brilliant song at the end.

But yeah, I agree. Excellent band with a real unique and brilliantly crafted approach. I would put this up with the 2 Disciple albums and Crashcarburn's 'This City needs a hero' as 4 of the best CDs I've heard all year.

whats so bad about Trumpets? they play the same notes as a guitar would...it just has a different sound which i think adds flavour to the song...

ill have to check this out, not a huge modern rock fan but i love originality :tumbsup:

I had a little list yesterday on my hand of the tracks I liked, but I agree it's mostly great. I love towards the end the most. I think around track 7, 8 and 9 is just stunning. And then there's another brilliant song at the end.

But yeah, I agree. Excellent band with a real unique and brilliantly crafted approach. I would put this up with the 2 Disciple albums and Crashcarburn's 'This City needs a hero' as 4 of the best CDs I've heard all year.

Backed 100% killer album and pretty much filler free (apart from maybe 'Island City' which still isnt quite my thing).

My brief summary of a great album:

01. Between the Sheets ; killer opener, one of the album's best.

02. Castle Bound ; delicious again.

03. Dublin Waltz ; another winner, 3 in a row.

04. Anchor and Hope ; My favourite of the early tracks. Love this one.

05. O Brother ; not overly into this one. Not really sure why, just can't get into it.

06. Island City ; Nice enough song, but definite filler feel to it.

07. Metropolis ; Somewhere between ok and good.

08. In This Legacy ; Absolute monster song. Love this chorus... great song.

09. Just In Time ; Had this running through my head most of the weekend and this would have to be my favourite song off the CD. Just stunning.

10. Tie Off Your Veins ; Another one somewhere between ok and good.

11. Only the Weak ; As good an album closer as you could find. Another monster song.

My brief summary of a great album:

01. Between the Sheets ; killer opener, one of the album's best.

02. Castle Bound ; delicious again.

03. Dublin Waltz ; another winner, 3 in a row.

04. Anchor and Hope ; My favourite of the early tracks. Love this one.

05. O Brother ; not overly into this one. Not really sure why, just can't get into it.

06. Island City ; Nice enough song, but definite filler feel to it.

07. Metropolis ; Somewhere between ok and good.

08. In This Legacy ; Absolute monster song. Love this chorus... great song.

09. Just In Time ; Had this running through my head most of the weekend and this would have to be my favourite song off the CD. Just stunning.

10. Tie Off Your Veins ; Another one somewhere between ok and good.

11. Only the Weak ; As good an album closer as you could find. Another monster song.

Yep Id agree with that with the exception of 'Metropolis' which at first I didnt like, but I love that song now...a real grower.

'Only The Weak' is the real killer tho - possibly the best song Ive heard all year. Almost a perfect song, but could have been (slightly) improved by say a solo at the end somewhere, just to really kill you off :tumbsup:

Yeah, 'Only the weak' is sensational but I am just deadset hooked on how beautiful 'Just in time' is. Heartfelt, sentimental... one of only a few songs to give me a couple of chills this year. Both songs are sensational though.

• 10 months later...

Well this came as a bit of a surprise..............a new album from Monty Are I due in 2009.

& guess what the first single 'One In A Million' is a killer.

Well what else did you expect??

http://www.myspace.com/montyarei

:guitbannana:

Wow, as you say that is a complete surprise. I guess I'd kind of assumed they'd broken up. I can't access myspace through work anymore but f*ck me I am excited about this CD!

• 3 weeks later...

This one is already due on the 22nd of this month! I can't actually hear 'One in a million' but the title track from the album, 'Break through the silence' is excellent. Cannot wait for this one - great band.

This one is already due on the 22nd of this month! I can't actually hear 'One in a million' but the title track from the album, 'Break through the silence' is excellent. Cannot wait for this one - great band.

One in A Million is excellent too........im stoked.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this was released the other day and i will be downloading it tonight (hopefully its on itunes)...............expect an absolute monster album!

This could be the modern release we have been waiting all year for!

:tumbsup:

Well I had my first full listen and this does not disappoint.

So much going on here its almost impossible to give a full verdict after only one listen, but the first 5 songs are stunning.....take the best songs off the Nural release and you an idea what to expect!

The whole album comes across as a mix of Muse, Story Of The Year and Nural. Really unique sounding these guys and some of the songs are just genius.....somehow mixing orchestra, trumpets and still managing to sound like really cool modern rock.

The last (bonus) track is slightly annoying but overall this is essential.

Anyone else heard this yet?? Killer disc.

Bought a new 16GB Ipod yesterday (for au$169 - brand new!!!!) and put all the albums that were released just before, during and since I've been back from my holiday. Ridiculous amount to get through, piled with the CDs I got in the mail, but this is one of the high priorities. Will report soon.

Listening to it now. First thoughts as I go along:

1. "Break Through The Silence" – As good an album opener as I have heard this year. Superb track.

2. "The Stand" – Every bit as good as the opener. Perfect production, great vocals, excellent ballsy sound, killer hook - there is absolutely nothing at all missing.

3. "Hope" – Another killer track. Huge hook, great tune... again.

4. "One In A Million" – Great commercial hard rocker. Man these guys remind me of a more polished, slick version of The Used. Vocals are very similar, and both bands have a great ear for a killer hook.

5. "Making Sounds" – Love it. Totally delicious chorus and possibly my favourite song so far. :wub: Yep, definitely my fave so far.

6. "Sand Riders Doomsday" – My least favourite song so far, but pretty cool.

7. "Kaleidoscope" – A mid-album slump? Forgivable considering the amazingly strong start. Another weaker track, even though the chorus is pretty huge. As I said, weaker song but by no means garbage. Some ugly brass moments, though.

8. "All Of You Tonight" – Beautiful. Highlights the strength of the vocals... beautifully written song. Another highlight.

9. "On The Wire" – More perfection. What a chorus! Absolute killer track.

10. "Desert" – I like it. Essences of brass, but another very strong song... another great chorus.

11. "Mirage" – Not the album's best song and a little unexciting, but appealing nevertheless. I don't mind it.

12. "Convoy Of Angels" - Totally excellent modern melodic rock. Just like the last album, a monster closer.

(bonus track) 13. "The Patriarch" - Not the best song these guys have ever done. I think without the orchestra it would actually be much, much better.

And that wraps it up. Extremely impressive and a legitimate contender for modern rock album of the year. These guys are excellent song writers, they sound a million dollars, they have a strong vocalist... killer hooks. It's actually very hard to fault these guys at all. Superb.

Listening to it now. First thoughts as I go along:

1. "Break Through The Silence" – As good an album opener as I have heard this year. Superb track.

2. "The Stand" – Every bit as good as the opener. Perfect production, great vocals, excellent ballsy sound, killer hook - there is absolutely nothing at all missing.

3. "Hope" – Another killer track. Huge hook, great tune... again.

4. "One In A Million" – Great commercial hard rocker. Man these guys remind me of a more polished, slick version of The Used. Vocals are very similar, and both bands have a great ear for a killer hook.

5. "Making Sounds" – Love it. Totally delicious chorus and possibly my favourite song so far. :wub: Yep, definitely my fave so far.

6. "Sand Riders Doomsday" – My least favourite song so far, but pretty cool.

7. "Kaleidoscope" – A mid-album slump? Forgivable considering the amazingly strong start. Another weaker track, even though the chorus is pretty huge. As I said, weaker song but by no means garbage. Some ugly brass moments, though.

8. "All Of You Tonight" – Beautiful. Highlights the strength of the vocals... beautifully written song. Another highlight.

9. "On The Wire" – More perfection. What a chorus! Absolute killer track.

10. "Desert" – I like it. Essences of brass, but another very strong song... another great chorus.

11. "Mirage" – Not the album's best song and a little unexciting, but appealing nevertheless. I don't mind it.

12. "Convoy Of Angels" - Totally excellent modern melodic rock. Just like the last album, a monster closer.

(bonus track) 13. "The Patriarch" - Not the best song these guys have ever done. I think without the orchestra it would actually be much, much better.

And that wraps it up. Extremely impressive and a legitimate contender for modern rock album of the year. These guys are excellent song writers, they sound a million dollars, they have a strong vocalist... killer hooks. It's actually very hard to fault these guys at all. Superb.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my feelings on this too.

All I would add is that initially i was bemused / didnt know what to make of 'Sand Riders Doomsday' and 'Desert' as well....but give it a few spins...those are 2 cool, very clever growers.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Simply based of Geoff and Glen's opinion I bought this for 5$ on Ebay. Pretty damn good, a decent modern rock album in a year when I've been generally dissapointed.

I really like this. To be honest I've only bought 4 Modern Rock albums this year, compared to last years 15 or so. Monty Are I along with the Skillet would be my picks. I really didn't get into the Adelitas Way or the Daughtry.

I'd still pick last year's Story Of The Year, Shinedown, Hinder, Anberlin and Thriving Ivory ahead of anything from this year.

What I like about the Monty Are I is the fact that the songs aren't as instant and more complexe than any other modern stuff I picked up this year.