Judas Priest - RAM IT DOWN

Fat Freddy

Question for the Priest freaks on the forum:

Why is Judas Priest's RAM IT DOWN so ignored by metaldom at large? I'm listening to it today and aside from the rather unexciting drum work by future kid-toucher Dave Holland, who thankfully makes his last appearance on a Priest album here, this is still a pretty damn solid record 20 years after the fact. Halford sounds great, there are some killer songs on here ("Blood Red Skies," "I'm A Rocker," the title track, "Heavy Metal," even "Love Zone") ... maybe the cover of "Johnny B. Goode" was not the brightest idea they ever had, but aside from that I have no complaints about this record and wonder why it never gets any love even from Priest diehards. I'm thinkin it probably has to do with the fact that when it was released, RAM IT DOWN was sandwiched in between two of Priest's albums that received much more notoriety -- it followed TURBO, which was widely regarded as their worst album (at least by those who've never heard DEMOLITION, haha), and preceded PAINKILLER, which was widely regarded as one of their best, so RAM IT DOWN became the Forgotten Priest Record. What do you think?

You know.. I actually really like Ram it Down... :headbanger: You may have a point though, it WAS released between Turbo and Painkiller, respectively Priest's Worst, and Best releases, according to many people....

I never had a bad word to say about Ram it Down honestly.. Sure the cover of Johnny B Goode is a lil bit odd, but it's STILL pretty good..... :beerbang:

Hell I even liked Turbo, Mostly cause of Out in the Cold..... But I don't consider that to be their worst album either... I reserve that distinction for Demolition..... :whistle:

I like some of TURBO but a lot of it has not aged very well. ("Out In The Cold" should still be in their set list today IMHO... it was a great set opener when I saw them on that tour...)

But when RAM IT DOWN came out it was quite a relief cuz they didn't continue in the TURBO vein... yes, it has its cheesy moments but at least they kept the guitar synths at a minimum.

Yea I agree, Out in the COld SHOULD still be in their set today, probably the BEST tune on Turbo IMO......

Something funny.. I remember watching the VHS copy of "Priest...Live" Now I have it on DVD as part of the Electric Eye DVD, anyways..... I can't help but chuckle at K K Downing's Hair!!! :yikes: I mean Geeze, use enough hairspray there Man?? Looks like He wanted to audition for Poison or something.. Not that I HATE that concert, cause it's pretty damn good, but MAN I just had to mention KK's hair...... :whistle:

Something funny.. I remember watching the VHS copy of "Priest...Live" Now I have it on DVD as part of the Electric Eye DVD, anyways..... I can't help but chuckle at K K Downing's Hair!!! :yikes: I mean Geeze, use enough hairspray there Man?? Looks like He wanted to audition for Poison or something.. Not that I HATE that concert, cause it's pretty damn good, but MAN I just had to mention KK's hair...... :whistle:

Haha, I have that DVD too, but I've only watched that "Turbo" live gig once... you'd think I would dig it cuz it brings back memories of that tour (my first concert) but OY, the wardrobe choices were just soooooo screamingly '80s/MTV that I can barely look at it now... I mean, when I saw'em on that tour, Halford came out on stage wearing a top hat (!) and a long leather cape for Chrissake....

Again, it was a relief when I saw them on the RAM IT DOWN tour and they were back to wearing the basic black leather outfits. They opened the set with "Electric Eye" too, which was totally bad-ass. :banger:

Haha, I have that DVD too, but I've only watched that "Turbo" live gig once... you'd think I would dig it cuz it brings back memories of that tour (my first concert) but OY, the wardrobe choices were just soooooo screamingly '80s/MTV that I can barely look at it now... I mean, when I saw'em on that tour, Halford came out on stage wearing a top hat (!) and a long leather cape for Chrissake....

Again, it was a relief when I saw them on the RAM IT DOWN tour and they were back to wearing the basic black leather outfits. They opened the set with "Electric Eye" too, which was totally bad-ass. :banger:

OH I Know.. GOD theose outfits were just So CHEEEEZY!!! I was SO glad when Ram it Down came out and They completely dropped those stupid hair metal outfits and shit, and went back to the leather and studs that We all know and love..... :headbanger:

Hell Priest should ALWAYS open their concerts with Hellion/Electric Eye in My opinion..... :beerbang:

I'm gonna killed for this but 'Ram it Down' is one of the few Preist albums I've never owned or heard.

I have heard a few songs off of it with one of them being that awful cover of "Johnny B Goode" but "Blood Red Skies" and title track kick ass IMO.

For me "Ram It Down" sounded horrible...yea there a few great songs on there

but overall to me it was average..plus K.K. and Glen's Guitar sounds are so

tiny and lifeless on this release..having said all that I still like it..

I like Ram It Down a lot! Title track is good and has killer guitar solo (though I have to admit, hearing the chorus is a bit weird now hehehe - just a little bit though; still a cool song I listen to and put on the touch tunes juke box at the bar sometimes), Heavy Metal, Blood Red Skies, I'm A Rocker, Come And Get It - actually, I like all the songs!! I like their version of Johnny B. Goode too. To me, the Ram It Down album album is kind of like Defenders Of The Faith but more modernized for 1988. I like Turbo too - Reckless is an awesome song; best on the album IMO. Screaming For Vengeance, Defenders Of The Faith, Turbo, Ram It Down, and Painkiller are all must haves for Priest IMO; alright, I guess Hell Bent For Leather should be there too. I never heard any earlier Priest before Hell Bent :eek: Am I missing out or what? I got to see Priest in June 2005 in Camden, NJ and they were awesome!! Scored 3rd row tickets on ebay for regular price! I had bought tickets before I saw those but figured I'd sell the ones I had - I ended up getting pretty much my money back from selling them to a scalper at the show so it all worked out.

I like Ram It Down a lot! Title track is good and has killer guitar solo (though I have to admit, hearing the chorus is a bit weird now hehehe - just a little bit though; still a cool song I listen to and put on the touch tunes juke box at the bar sometimes), Heavy Metal, Blood Red Skies, I'm A Rocker, Come And Get It - actually, I like all the songs!! I like their version of Johnny B. Goode too. To me, the Ram It Down album album is kind of like Defenders Of The Faith but more modernized for 1988. I like Turbo too - Reckless is an awesome song; best on the album IMO. Screaming For Vengeance, Defenders Of The Faith, Turbo, Ram It Down, and Painkiller are all must haves for Priest IMO; alright, I guess Hell Bent For Leather should be there too. I never heard any earlier Priest before Hell Bent :eek: Am I missing out or what? I got to see Priest in June 2005 in Camden, NJ and they were awesome!! Scored 3rd row tickets on ebay for regular price! I had bought tickets before I saw those but figured I'd sell the ones I had - I ended up getting pretty much my money back from selling them to a scalper at the show so it all worked out.

IMO all Priest up to "Painkiller" Is a Must have..the earlier stuff I quite enjoy

though it's more "bluesier in tone"...Sin After Sin and Stained Class are More Metalish and

great..."Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings are more of the Bluesier stuff but still

ass kicking IMO!!!

IMO all Priest up to "Painkiller" Is a Must have..the earlier stuff I quite enjoy

though it's more "bluesier in tone"...Sin After Sin and Stained Class are More Metalish and

ass kicking IMO!!!

The first JP release I picked up was 'Rocka Rolla' on vinyl way back in the day, while I liked it I was never seriously impressed by the band until I heard 'Hell Bent For Leather'.....IMO everything from HBFL up to Painkiller are must own releases...................their earlier output is certainly good and worth owning as well.....

ass kicking IMO!!!

Backed on that one mate. As for 'Ram It Down', it is one of those JP discs that I haven't spun in quite a while, so I must dig it out and have a play around with it again. From memory I think I placed it in the middle somwhere in my list of favourites.

I like Ram It Down but it doesnt get a lot of spin time. For me I go for Painkiller, Screaming for Vengeance and British Steel the most. Ram It Down is there on the shelf and gets overlooked (probably too much)....

Alex

I like Ram It Down a lot! Title track is good and has killer guitar solo (though I have to admit, hearing the chorus is a bit weird now hehehe -

There are a LOT of Priest songs that sound "a bit weird now" after Halford's coming-out party... "Jawbreaker," and "Eat Me Alive" are two that come immediately to mind... :unsure:

How'bout the song "Love You To Death" on RAM IT DOWN? The bullwhip sounds @ the end and Halford squealing "WHIP ME BABY! DO IT LIKE THAT! OOOOH! YEAAAAAAH!" creep me out more than just a little bit nowadays...

I like Ram It Down a lot! Title track is good and has killer guitar solo (though I have to admit, hearing the chorus is a bit weird now hehehe -

There are a LOT of Priest songs that sound "a bit weird now" after Halford's coming-out party... "Jawbreaker," and "Eat Me Alive" are two that come immediately to mind... :unsure:

How'bout the song "Love You To Death" on RAM IT DOWN? The bullwhip sounds @ the end and Halford squealing "WHIP ME BABY! DO IT LIKE THAT! OOOOH! YEAAAAAAH!" creep me out more than just a little bit nowadays...

Don't Forget "Evil Fantasies" Or "Before The Dawn"...

'Before The Dawn' from 'Killing Machine' - strangely, one of my all time fave Priest songs. Love the guitar solo in that one.

There's also a reference to "leather boys hanging with the denim dudes" and "Fire Island" in the song "Raw Deal" off SIN AFTER SIN :blink:

...and yet there were still people who were SURPRISED when Rob came out... I thought it had been screamingly obvious for some time...

'Before The Dawn' from 'Killing Machine' - strangely, one of my all time fave Priest songs. Love the guitar solo in that one.

Backed a great song and album...After Rob "came out" ( which really surprised me) that song kinda got forgotten by me...I guess alot of people knew he was gay...I never thought he was... boy was I shocked...still Priest are an all time fave for me and Rob is probably the best Metal Vocalist ever...

After Rob "came out" ( which really surprised me) that song kinda got forgotten by me...I guess alot of people knew he was gay...I never thought he was... boy was I shocked...still Priest are an all time fave for me and Rob is probably the best Metal Vocalist ever...

I had heard rumors about Rob's (ahem) extracurricular activities as far back as the mid 80s, so I wasn't terribly shocked by the news. I understood why he kept it under his hat for so long though... it most likely would've killed the band if he'd come out during the 80s, things were a lot less tolerant back then... especially in the uber-macho metal scene...

I remember telling a few of my metal buds back in college about those rumors, though, and they were all like "No WAY, not ROB HALFORD!" :rofl2:

But as one guy I saw on MTV News said about Rob's announcement, "I don't care if he f**ks German Shepherds in his spare time, he's still the Metal God!" :rofl:

After Rob "came out" ( which really surprised me) that song kinda got forgotten by me...I guess alot of people knew he was gay...I never thought he was... boy was I shocked...still Priest are an all time fave for me and Rob is probably the best Metal Vocalist ever...

I had heard rumors about Rob's (ahem) extracurricular activities as far back as the mid 80s, so I wasn't terribly shocked by the news. I understood why he kept it under his hat for so long though... it most likely would've killed the band if he'd come out during the 80s, things were a lot less tolerant back then... especially in the uber-macho metal scene...

I remember telling a few of my metal buds back in college about those rumors, though, and they were all like "No WAY, not ROB HALFORD!" :rofl2:

But as one guy I saw on MTV News said about Rob's announcement, "I don't care if he f**ks German Shepherds in his spare time, he's still the Metal God!" :rofl:

Full In Bloom Music has an interview with Paul Shortino, and talks about

Rob's extracurricular activities that were occurring during the Hear N Aid

recording sessions while Paul was doing an interview in the hotel room next to Rob's

room...pretty funny..

Full In Bloom Music has an interview with Paul Shortino, and talks about

Rob's extracurricular activities that were occurring during the Hear N Aid

recording sessions while Paul was doing an interview in the hotel room next to Rob's

room...pretty funny..

Haha, I believe it... years back when my bro was still in high school he was working at Sears part time and worked with a guy there who'd been in a band (the name completely escapes me now) that put out an album on Columbia/Epic (Priest's label) during the early 80's... he told my brother he'd met Rob and his "boyfriend" at some sort of record label function. At the time my bro's reaction was "Yea, riiiiight, yer fulla sh*t," but fast forward ten years and my bro was like "Wow, maybe that guy wasn't BS'ing me after all" :rofl: