Anberlin

Glen

He's not gay. He's cool. I regretted using the word 'awful' yesterday and want to retract it. There's nothing wrong with his voice at all, it's just technically not that good. Doesn't mean he doesn't sound okay.

This album's nestled into my top 20 just snuggly. I like it.

I dont think his voice is awful. I like it. Not saying i like gay voices.... or did i...

You did and you do. Let's find John Anberlin and hug him for saying bad things about him. Poor guy.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not gay. He's cool. I regretted using the word 'awful' yesterday and want to retract it. There's nothing wrong with his voice at all, it's just technically not that good. Doesn't mean he doesn't sound okay.

This album's nestled into my top 20 just snuggly. I like it.

I dont think his voice is awful. I like it. Not saying i like gay voices.... or did i...

Let's find John Anberlin and kiss him for saying bad things about him

Oh no...youre gay too :yikes:

Ok I'll admit it - this aint bad at all.

Haight St was in fact quite excellent.

Shame about the pretentious last song. :whistle:

Yeah, last song is shit. The 10th track is great though - love the summertime hard rock riff.

Has the album been released in the stores? I loved Cities (dodges tomatoes) and Never Take Friendship Personal, so I'm hoping this one is par with those two previous releases.

Yeah, last song is shit. The 10th track is great though - love the summertime hard rock riff.

whats the last song?

What do you mean? The name of it? I don't know. Glen?

whats the last song?

whats wrong with it?

whats the last song?

whats wrong with it?

I've forgotten it already but pretty sure it was slow, long and boring without a decent hook.

whats the last song?

whats wrong with it?

I've forgotten it already but pretty sure it was slow, long and boring without a decent hook.

Like a whale that got away from the Japs...

whats the last song?

whats wrong with it?

Like a whale that got away from the Japs...

sicko.

the songs called 'Misearbile Visu'......and that's what it makes you feel like. Long and pretentious.

The rest of album is excellent tho. easy top 10 in the modern rock stakes.

• 1 month later...

So I finally got a copy of this (this bands stuff is hard to get) & I definitely like it more than "Cities", but it still isn't as consistent as "Never Take Friendship Personal". "Haigh Street" is a definite highlight, but "Breathe" is my fave tune. Killer ballad. Great production, & hopefully a few spins down the line this will sound even better....

• 2 weeks later...

I was a huge fan of "Cities" which introduced me to Anberlin. I picked up "Never Take Friendship Personal" this past summer for 4$ at a used music shop and immediately loved it. Now last night, at the same time as picking up the new Hinder, I picked up " New Surrender" and you know what?......Anberlin is still one of if not my favourite pure modern rock act. Great release and I can even handle the last track with the latin like title. Although "(*fin)" from "Cities" is a much better epic closer.

Cities bored the hell out of me, but had a chance to hear the new one.... yep background music again. These two albums are nothing compared to NTFP.

O yeh and the new version of the Feel good drag was pointless.

I dont agree, I think the new album is great. My opinion was the same as yours after one spin - see above in this thread....but after about 5/6 spins this really sinks in.

I love it now.

Cities bored the hell out of me, but had a chance to hear the new one.... yep background music again. These two albums are nothing compared to NTFP.

O yeh and the new version of the Feel good drag was pointless.

I dont agree, I think the new album is great. My opinion was the same as yours after one spin - see above in this thread....but after about 5/6 spins this really sinks in.

I love it now.

I think im just really over this band... NTFP was a landmark in modern rock for me.... since then i just couldnt care less.

I was also underwhelmed after my first spin, but this is definitely a good disc. Obviously not as good as 'Never take friendship personal' but it's still great. Truthfully, though, there are a lot of better bands out there.

Truthfully, though, there are a lot of better bands out there.

yep... such as these guys..

barbershop_quartet_walking_right.jpg

Stop trying to promote your band on this site, for f*ck's sake.

• 3 months later...

A few random thoughts as I come to the end of spinning their discography:

I was pretty harsh on these guys when 'Cities' came out and then again with my initial thoughts on 'New Surrender', which I did quickly grow to enjoy a lot. But now, a few year on, I feel as though I can sit and realistically look at Anberlin's discography. I don't think I ever actively disliked 'Cities'; I think I was only ever disappointed with it. And I think that is 'Cities' only fault - that it follows what is one of the best albums in modern rock so far - the sensational 'Never take freindhsip personal'.

Song for song (all 14 of them) there is not a filler on 'Cities'. Even though that 'Clap your hands' one comes close - :lol:. But seriously, the album is solid and really quite great when you sit back and listen to it. Every spin it seems to get better for me.

I was pretty harsh on these guys when 'Cities' came out and then again with my initial thoughts on 'New Surrender', which I did quickly grow to enjoy a lot. But now, a few year on, I feel as though I can sit and realistically look at Anberlin's discography. I don't think I ever actively disliked 'Cities'; I think I was only ever disappointed with it. And I think that is 'Cities' only fault - that it follows what is one of the best albums in modern rock so far - the sensational 'Never take freindhsip personal'.

Song for song (all 14 of them) there is not a filler on 'Cities'. Even though that 'Clap your hands' one comes close - :lol:. But seriously, the album is solid and really quite great when you sit back and listen to it. Every spin it seems to get better for me.

I loved Cities, it was the first I ever heard of Anberlin. Since buying it I also picked Never Take Friendship... and New Surrender. They all sound very similar and I enjoy them all. When Cities came out I spinned the shit out of it and It was probably the only cd I bought for an entire month. The really unfair thing about New Surrender is that I picked it up at the same time as Take It To The Limit from Hinder....the new Anberlin never had a chance. I'm spinning the CD as I write this reply.

I loved Cities, it was the first I ever heard of Anberlin. Since buying it I also picked Never Take Friendship... and New Surrender. They all sound very similar and I enjoy them all. When Cities came out I spinned the shit out of it and It was probably the only cd I bought for an entire month. The really unfair thing about New Surrender is that I picked it up at the same time as Take It To The Limit from Hinder....the new Anberlin never had a chance. I'm spinning the CD as I write this reply.

:lol: Yeah, I agree with you there about 'New Surrender' and Hinder. 'New Surrender' was a great CD but I don't think it even made my top 10 modern discs last year because there were a really excellent batch of discs released in 2008, most obviously Hinder's sensational 'Take it to the limit'.

I think hearing 'Cities' first would be an excellent way to start off your Anberlin experience and you could really give it the appreciation it deserves. It's taken too long for me to come around to what is a really great disc. Mate, you have to get the debut too. Still has two of their best songs ever - 'Foreign language' and 'Naive Orleans'.

You're also right that the CDs are all quite similar, and in saying that all very strong and I have not skipped a single song on all 4 discs, though I believe there is one on the end of 'New Surrender' I might skip. But yeah, extremely good band.