Hinder

Glen

If nothing else the guitarwork is just perfect. As much as I love big juicy solos, the work on this just kind of shows it is possible to survive without solos if you lay down perfect (and really, not overly spectacular... just lush) rhythm guitar work.

I was obviously too wrapped up in how good the actual songs were to notice that there are only 3 songs on this album that don't actually have a solo. There's solos all over this thing. Not quite the standard of Disciple, but good melodic solos.

As for this disc... it is every bit as good as I first thought and maybe more. I can find a few equals, but there are no/few better songs this year than "Loaded and Alone", "Last Kiss Goodbye", "Heaven Sent", "Thing for You" and "Lost in the Sun". They're my faves of this album, but everything inbetween is just perfect too. They start of with 2 rockers and then from then on it's one hard rocker/one ballad and to be honest it works well. There are a lot of ballads, but because they keep them between the rockers it works well. This is album just kicks my ass.

And I'm going to be so suspicious of anyone hard rock fan's motives if they say this is shit... because this is almost the most 80's sounding hard rock disc of the year behind Rockarma. Oh, and I thought the debut was amazing - no fillers - but this one absolutely destroys it. That how much I love it.

And I'm going to be so suspicious of anyone hard rock fan's motives if they say this is shit... because this is almost the most 80's sounding hard rock disc of the year behind Rockarma. Oh, and I thought the debut was amazing - no fillers - but this one absolutely destroys it. That how much I love it.

And that's a fact! Never been big on Hinder and the like before but this is just pure melodic bliss, you would almost throw it in the regular threads because it simply fits the description of this forum right? So I hear ya Geoff, as in matter a fact I think we're on the very verge of the big Melodic Rock return happening. Meaning it's about to hit big again all over the world, no longer underground but mainstream with all its chart glory returning from the past. With bands like Hinder and Nickelback going down like this, new bands forming and the current big GNR/Metallica/AC/DC happening it's gonna resurrect. Even Pop artists seem to finally pick up the Rock sound again. About time if you ask me, it's been forever since crap topped the charts. :christmas:

And that's a fact! Never been big on Hinder and the like before but this is just pure melodic bliss, you would almost throw it in the regular threads because it simply fits the description of this forum right? So I hear ya Geoff, as in matter a fact I think we're on the very verge of the big Melodic Rock return happening. Meaning it's about to hit big again all over the world, no longer underground but mainstream with all its chart glory returning from the past. With bands like Hinder and Nickelback going down like this, new bands forming and the current big GNR/Metallica/AC/DC happening it's gonna resurrect. Even Pop artists seem to finally pick up the Rock sound again. About time if you ask me, it's been forever since crap topped the charts. :christmas:

And the funny/sad thing is that all these bands (Nickelback, Hinder, Disciple etc.) all sound a hell of a lot more like what we're "meant" to like rather than new CDs from Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses etc. :) I was going to make a bold statement somewhere along the lines of this new Hinder CD being the 'Slippery when wet' of the 00's. That may be a bit too bold, but all I could think of as I listened to it is that it sounds like the stuff that Bon Jovi used to pack stadiums with when they were actually still an excellent band.

I was going to make a bold statement somewhere along the lines of this new Hinder CD being the 'Slippery when wet' of the 00's. That may be a bit too bold, but all I could think of as I listened to it is that it sounds like the stuff that Bon Jovi used to pack stadiums with when they were actually still an excellent band.

Yep, that would be a bit too bold. Hinder's newie is good, but its not slippery. Close tho, i'll give you that.

But there's nothing here thats the quality of say Livin On A Prayer or Shot Through The Heart.

Still a massive album.

Cheers

Honestly, my biggest concern now is what radio will pick up and destroy as a single/s. I'm considering ordering my wife to stop listening to the radio until this album has finished it's stint on radio (which could be a long time by the sound of these songs). :)

2008 just keeps getting better. I'm lovin' it. I have a feeling this will be all over the radio. Unlike my other modern favs of 08', Shinedown and Story Of The Year, Hinder has more 80's than anything else. The vocals are modern in tone, but get Bon Jovi or Vince Neil singing this and it would loved by mostly all the members on the board.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the ballad Without You is the single being pushed around here. The song is just another Lips of Angel. I guess this is just like the 80's hair rock scene, a band can only make it big if their ballads are huge hits.

2008 just keeps getting better. I'm lovin' it. I have a feeling this will be all over the radio. Unlike my other modern favs of 08', Shinedown and Story Of The Year, Hinder has more 80's than anything else. The vocals are modern in tone, but get Bon Jovi or Vince Neil singing this and it would loved by mostly all the members on the board.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the ballad Without You is the single being pushed around here. The song is just another Lips of Angel. I guess this is just like the 80's hair rock scene, a band can only make it big if their ballads are huge hits.

Yeah, and it's not even the best ballad on the disc, imo. I'd have gone with 'Last kiss goodbye' or 'Thing for you' over that one.

Anyway, because I've been doing a fair bit of this this year:

"Use Me" ; Monster hard rock opener. The first three songs are outstanding and this is a killer way to start off any disc.

"Loaded and Alone" ; Sing-a-along melodic/commercial hard rocker - arguably the stand-out track of the album. Agruably. Because there are plenty more. Absolutely LOVE this song. I get a little chill every time I hear about the lady he left back home...

"Last Kiss Goodbye" ; Probably my fave of the ballads - absolutely stunning. If you didn't hear the rest of the album and know what the band is all about, you'd call this heartfelt and sincere because it sounds that way... but he's a naughty sex-lovin' boy and you know he's just singing it to get more sex. Flawless.

"Up All Night" ; One of several straight up hard rockers - this is commercial hard rock heaven for the radio. Great stadium filling number.

"Without You" ; Perhaps a little 'by the numbers', but that doesn't make it any less delicious. I love this one.

"Take it to the Limit" ; Like 'Up all night' this is pure fun catchy commercial hard rock. Sounds almost like Kiss' mid-80's efforts.

"The Best Is Yet To Come" ; imo the weakest of the ballads, but could sit on most other albums as the best song on there. Great track, surrounded by perfection.

"Heaven Sent" ; This one kicks off a trio of absolute bliss. I said 'Loaded and alone' was arguably the best of the disc... well so is this. SO good it makes me hurt. Picture Bon Jovi 'New Jersey' and you'll get an idea of this one.

"Thing for You" ; My other favourite ballad. LOVE this one. Sounds a billion dollars. Completely immaculate.

"Lost in the Sun" ; Another in a long list of my faves. Sweet sentimental commercial hard rock bliss. Another song I can simply not fault.

"Far from Home" Sounding like a broken record, this is more brilliance. To say that this is my 3rd fave ballad is the highest compliment one can possibly pay to the other two. This song is wonderful, a delightful way to close off the disc.

In summary, this crucifies the filler-free 'Extreme Behaviour' which just amazes me, and I have decided it is (sorry Disciple!!) the best album of the year. Absolutely marvelous.