Paul Alan (Nouveaux singer) - Drive it home.

phaffas

Lead singer of Nouveaux, Paul Alan, has just released his 2nd solo album. It sounds awesome!

His debut album was a perfect piece of melodic pop rock/aor with a bunch of big names supporting him. Thats gotta right up there with my favourite all time albums. The new album picks up the same vibe as the previous album, but a little crunchier! People who liked Nouveaux, with an updated sound will love this!

"Drive it Home" WILL be one of my top albums of the year!

Check out his tunes here:

http://www.myspace.com/paulalanmusic

His new album, as well as his debut album, are available for very decent prices at:

www.buydriveithome.com

Hey that sounds awesome. I'll have to check out both of those solo albums. Which is the better one would you say?

I have the Nouveaux album (Beginnings) somewhere but don't think it impressed me as much as the songs I've just heard on Paul Alan's MySpace page. I never did get those Def Leppard comparisons that everyone made about the Nouveaux album.

And yeah those are decent prices - $19 for both solo albums, that'll be next on my list.

Thanks for the info.

I'm at work and can't listen to sound samples, but I'll be checking 'em out as soon as I get home. Love that Nouveux debut (not so much the follow-up) and always hoped Alan could come up with something on par. His first solo CD didn't quite do it for me, but if "Drive it Home" sports more crunch, I'm definitely interested. Will report back once I've had a chance to hear some samples.

I always thought that Beginnings had alot of Def Leppard in some of their songs, but also had their own sound too.

As for his solo stuff, i just think the debut was killer and love every single track. Ive only heard the 2 new tracks off the 2nd album on the myspace.

I always thought that Beginnings had alot of Def Leppard in some of their songs, but also had their own sound too.

As for his solo stuff, i just think the debut was killer and love every single track. Ive only heard the 2 new tracks off the 2nd album on the myspace.

Looking forward to the new one Matt - really liked the debut. Ordered the 2 together, so hopefully they will arrive this week sometime.

I wouldn't mind hearing this. I actually think the debut is hugely over-rated to be completely honest, but I do think it shows a lot of potential and I do kinda like it. Just not quite as much as others. I'll try to hear this new one. Lyrically, is his work still very religious?

I wouldn't mind hearing this. I actually think the debut is hugely over-rated to be completely honest, but I do think it shows a lot of potential and I do kinda like it. Just not quite as much as others. I'll try to hear this new one. Lyrically, is his work still very religious?

His debut cd "Falling awake", lyrically was very religious but very enjoyable pop rock/modernish aor with great melodies and thought provoking lyrics.

A few may be disappointed with the lack of guitar work though.

Unfortuately none of the soundbytes Ive heard from his myspace or other links imo have matched his song writing on the debut, as someone mentioned "Leaving lonely" is a great song from this debut cd (8 years ago - I think!!!).

I will wait til i hear the full version for full judgement though I cant see it topping his debut, bizarre on one of his pages its states Firehouse as the worst music he's ever heard!!! lol

I will wait til i hear the full version for full judgement though I cant see it topping his debut, bizarre on one of his pages its states Firehouse as the worst music he's ever heard!!! lol

Wow, that's odd. How did he record that whole debut Nouveaux album without hearing any of it himself?

I kid, but seriously, Firehouse > Nouveaux a billion times over.

I thought his solo album was better than the Nouveaux album, way better songwriting. And his voice is killer. Thanks for the info I will definitely get this....

Nouveaux's debut album was nothing short of spectacular. To me, it was the Christian answer to Def Leppard. However, I'm a little disturbed now after reading Paul's bio on myspace. He calls Firehouse the worst band ever. My opinion of Paul just dropped a few notches.

Chris

He calls Firehouse the worst band ever.

Yeah that's a strange one. Has he never heard any POISON then?

He calls Firehouse the worst band ever.

Yeah that's a strange one. Has he never heard any POISON then?

That surprised me a bit too. But knowing his type of humour, i can only assume its a bit on an "in joke", especially as all the Nouveaux guys were heavily influenced by that music, and still have a lot of respect for it... i wouldnt worry about it too much.

OK, after checking out the samples, this is simply too lite for me. Paul's got a great voice, and for those who enjoy the lite/pop/aor side of CCM this should more than satisfy, but it's just not where my musical interests lie. I need my stuff to hit harder, pack more of a punch. No disrespect to some of the previous posters, but I don't hear much Nouveux influence in this at all. Anyway, it's cool that Paul is still making albums, but aside from that Nouveux debut, none of the albums he's been involved with will be making their way into my collection.

• 1 month later...

I've just recently received both Paul Alan solo albums in the mail. I'd have to say that whilst both albums are very good I prefer his new one 'Drive It Home' which just has a much "fuller" sound and maybe rocks a bit more.

It's a funny thing cus I'm not a real religious person but I have no trouble listening to contemporary Christian albums and as long as the lyrics aren't over empowering (eg. repeating the word hallelujah over and over) I can quite enjoy them. There are a few fairly empowering tunes on these albums but mostly the messages are suttle.

Lately I've been tuning into a local Brisbane radio station which is family/Christian orientated (96.5 FM) and I've got to say that there are some damn cool sounding Pop/Rock songs being released by Christian artists. I'd have to say that this radio station is my favourite one in Brisbane which isn't hard as all the big stations are complete utter shit.

So yeah, if you like a good soft rock / pop/rock tune and don't mind some contemporary Christian lyrics I'd recommend checking these out. Very cheap @ $19 for the 2 albums.

I've just recently received both Paul Alan solo albums in the mail. I'd have to say that whilst both albums are very good I prefer his new one 'Drive It Home' which just has a much "fuller" sound and maybe rocks a bit more.

It's a funny thing cus I'm not a real religious person but I have no trouble listening to contemporary Christian albums and as long as the lyrics aren't over empowering (eg. repeating the word hallelujah over and over) I can quite enjoy them. There are a few fairly empowering tunes on these albums but mostly the messages are suttle.

Lately I've been tuning into a local Brisbane radio station which is family/Christian orientated (96.5 FM) and I've got to say that there are some damn cool sounding Pop/Rock songs being released by Christian artists. I'd have to say that this radio station is my favourite one in Brisbane which isn't hard as all the big stations are complete utter shit.

So yeah, if you like a good soft rock / pop/rock tune and don't mind some contemporary Christian lyrics I'd recommend checking these out. Very cheap @ $19 for the 2 albums.

Yeh 2 great albums. I did my quick review of the new one in the First spin impressions thread.

Was a bit surprised that you thought the newey rocked a bit more. There are prob 3 rockier songs on Drive it home, yet i think the rest is softer. Overall i thought DIH was lighter then the debut... but not by much.

Wish he had some of the screams he did on Nouveaux's debut on there...

Honestly guys, do I check these albums out? Is the $19 inclusive of postage? I wasn't a huge fan of Noveaux on the best of days and I do hate the Christian lyrics, but are the songs good enough?

Honestly guys, do I check these albums out? Is the $19 inclusive of postage? I wasn't a huge fan of Noveaux on the best of days and I do hate the Christian lyrics, but are the songs good enough?

I dont see you liking this at all.

Having said that i love them.

Well I actually found Noveaux to be quite over-rated. Not bad by any means but it certainly didn't stick with me. I guess if you don't like the Christian lyrics there might be a few songs you'll have to skip over but all of the songs sound great and there's nothing too over "preachy". Many of the songs to me just sound like another pop/rock tune. Including postage it worked out to US$27.49 for me - I good price I say!

• 3 weeks later...
Got both of these as well and like 'em both pretty much equally.

Hmm from the few samples the songs dont quite sound as melodic or catchy, would you agree?

I caught a review from a christian website who said it couldnt match the debut for quality, Im soooo tempted to buy it though.

I thought his debut was amazing and in the top 10 cds i purchased in 2007 (or maybe 2006 the same year I purchased both nouveaux cd which I personally arent quite as good) the other big suprise was Elektrik which just by chance was another christian band.

the other big suprise was Elektrik which just by chance was another christian band.

They're a christian band? Really? Is this the same band who released 'Love Buzz Harmony' or something like that? A few fillers, but overall a great band and great disc with a few outright killers. I wouldn't have picked they were a christian band, though...

the other big suprise was Elektrik which just by chance was another christian band.

They're a christian band? Really? Is this the same band who released 'Love Buzz Harmony' or something like that? A few fillers, but overall a great band and great disc with a few outright killers. I wouldn't have picked they were a christian band, though...

Yup, I used to have Elektrik "Love Buzz Harmony". While they weren't over the top with their message, they were definitely a Christian band. A pretty good indie one at that. I remember there being a killer ballad on it but can't remember the song title for the life of me.

Chris