PILLAR "For The Love Of The Game"

I didn't even realize Pillar had released a new cd until it was brought to my attention today. Pillar has always had some good songs on each of their albums, but they've never had a full release that I've actually kept. That is, until today. This is their crowning achievement! Even non-Pillar fans need to check this new one out. Gone is most of the rap-metal or whatever you want to call it. This is just hard rockin' songs with great choruses which even include big harmony vocals. The guitars are slammin', the production awesome, and most of the choruses could have come straight out of the late 80's/early 90's. If this is how the game is played these days, count me in coach.

Chris

Well, I am interested. Like you said, Chris, they haven't had a release yet that's kept me interested, but I like what you said here. I aim to check this out asap.

Ive only ever heard the song "Fireproof"... which was kinda cool...

Check out the track "Reckless Youth" off this new release. They pretty miuch just changed the words to the chorus of Skid Row's "Youth Gone Wild". Excellent, I tell ya, excellent. Tracks like "Turn It Up", "Throwdown", and even the touching "Smiling Down" will have you running for your record store.

Chris

Yep...I emailed your brother about them about a week ago or so and he didn't realise they had an album out! It is an excellent listen!! It definitely rawks!

Yep...I emailed your brother about them about a week ago or so and he didn't realise they had an album out! It is an excellent listen!! It definitely rawks!

Yep..he's the one that mentioned it, heard about it from you I do believe. Thanks for the heads up on this one Jim. I am lovin' it!

Chris

Are Mark and Chris brothers???

Z

...OMG!

Don't you read introductions when people sign up here? Jeez you're rude.

Are Mark and Chris brothers???

Z

...OMG!

Don't you read introductions when people sign up here? Jeez you're rude.

O come on! 90% of the people that introduce themselves only last for about 3 days.

The only one i remember was a guy who was almost in tears when he introduced himself.... "please dont pick on me".... now who was that?

Yep...he's the one that mentioned it, heard about it from you I do believe. Thanks for the heads up on this one, Jim. I am lovin' it!

These guys are one of my favorite current Christian hard rock/metal bands, so I couldn't believe I hadn't heard about their new CD when Jim emailed me. I'm slipping in my old age! (I blame it on the baby because...well, because I can. ;) ) Anyway, I stopped by Best Buy a few days later, snagged a copy, and that same day emailed my bro (Chris) to make sure he got his hands on what is sure to be one of the best Christian rock/metal albums of the year. Just totally killer stuff, from the raging riffs of "Throwdown" to the gang-vocal-chorus of "For the Love of the Game" to the moving ballad "Smiling Down" to the (as Chris already mentioned) Skid Row's "Youth Gone Wild" homage "Reckless Youth" (the similarity is uncanny), this sucker is nothing short of awesome.

Wow, I have got to say... this is damn good. Still getting aquainted with it, but loving what I hear so far. A lot of very, very good songs. I agree 'Smiling down' is great and 'Reckless youth' is nice, but definitely shows they won't be matching it with Skid Row anytime soon. :lol: A lot of other songs I forget the name off the top of my head that I like on this one too... more towards the 2nd half, I think. Great stuff. Thanks for the heads up guys.

The only one i remember was a guy who was almost in tears when he introduced himself.... "please dont pick on me".... now who was that?

Geoff, was that you ?!?! :unsure:

:lol:

Geoff, was that you ?!?! :unsure:

:lol:

Indeed it was!

:yikes:

Now that the girls have finished their little rant I can continue putting my manly thoughts where they're not wanted.

'Turn it up' is proving to be one of my favourite tunes, as well as 'The runaway', 'Throwdown' and the killer 'Get back'.

'State of emergency' isn't so great, but aside from that every song is really very good. 'Reckless youth', I have to admit, is the song that's troubling me most. Love the song; it's great. Very nice solo too. So what's my gripe? What am I crying about? I can't help thinking in this manner:

Skid Row were a bunch of kid punks from the street, with leather, grime, booze, drugs, long hair, attitude and filth. They lived and breathed every single word of the killer 'Youth gone wild' song. You can't help but believe every moment of it.

Now, we come to Pillar's 'Reckless youth'. I acknowledge and actually really love the prospect that this is a tribute from the band to Skid Row's excellence. Meant as nothing more than a sign of respect. But why can I not get this out of my head everytime I hear it: The band is a group of 30-40 year old Christian gentlemen who for all we know may do a sermon at the local church each Sunday morning. What the hell are they doing singing a song... "We are the reckless youth!" they shout. Dudes... cool song, but I just can't believe it for a fraction of a moment of a second.

Still, great disc.

Now that the girls have finished their little rant I can continue putting my manly thoughts where they're not wanted.

'Turn it up' is proving to be one of my favourite tunes, as well as 'The runaway', 'Throwdown' and the killer 'Get back'.

'State of emergency' isn't so great, but aside from that every song is really very good. 'Reckless youth', I have to admit, is the song that's troubling me most. Love the song; it's great. Very nice solo too. So what's my gripe? What am I crying about? I can't help thinking in this manner:

Skid Row were a bunch of kid punks from the street, with leather, grime, booze, drugs, long hair, attitude and filth. They lived and breathed every single word of the killer 'Youth gone wild' song. You can't help but believe every moment of it.

Now, we come to Pillar's 'Reckless youth'. I acknowledge and actually really love the prospect that this is a tribute from the band to Skid Row's excellence. Meant as nothing more than a sign of respect. But why can I not get this out of my head everytime I hear it: The band is a group of 30-40 year old Christian gentlemen who for all we know may do a sermon at the local church each Sunday morning. What the hell are they doing singing a song... "We are the reckless youth!" they shout. Dudes... cool song, but I just can't believe it for a fraction of a moment of a second.

Still, great disc.

there are two guys who are about 25, and the other two who are about 30...

Still, great disc.

there are two guys who are about 25, and the other two who are about 30...

Really? I thought for sure they'd be older than that. I thought they'd all be at least 30 based on how long they've been recording etc. Oh well, I amend the age comment to read 25-35 but the rest still stands. :)

Gave this one a listen the other week. Didn't really like it.

I don't know your tastes, but what's not to like about this album? It's killer!!

• 6 months later...
Does this mean I have to give it yet one more chance????

Nah, mate. There are plenty of others who don't appreciate excellence when it's delivered so you're not alone. ;)