Hot Boy

chocularok

Wow... Hotboy got nailed. For an over-hyped band there don't appear to be many fans to fuel the supposed hype. :lol:

I think many can probably agree I'm quite a harsh Indie ctritic (In fact, I think a huge majority of the most hyped ones are useless), but as I said, this is one of about 10 bands that actually live up to, and even exceed the hype as far as I'm concerned. Each of the 5 tracks is pure bliss. :) Oh well, to each their own I guess.

As for the whole fat guy rumour, I'm guessing that's complete bullshit then? So the guys on the cover did actually play on the album? That's somewhat of a nice relief.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... Hotboy got nailed. For an over-hyped band there don't appear to be many fans to fuel the supposed hype. :lol:

I felt kinda bad for you being one of HotBoy's only supporters in this thread, Geoff, so I just watched the video again...

.... and I'm sorry, it's STILL awful. Wow, that band stunk on ice.

I felt kinda bad for you being one of HotBoy's only supporters in this thread, Geoff, so I just watched the video again...

AND I LOVE IT! I think it's my new favourite song! Thank you Geoff for having the courage to speak up and point me in the direction of awesomness.

Phew, thanks mate. I was really starting to worry I might be on my own there, buddy. I appreciate it.

(what alternative do I really have to find comfort in?)

I think many can probably agree I'm quite a harsh Indie ctritic (In fact, I think a huge majority of the most hyped ones are useless), but as I said, this is one of about 10 bands that actually live up to, and even exceed the hype as far as I'm concerned. Each of the 5 tracks is pure bliss. :) Oh well, to each their own I guess.

As for the whole fat guy rumour, I'm guessing that's complete bullshit then? So the guys on the cover did actually play on the album? That's somewhat of a nice relief.

What indies live up to the hype? Cos a bunch of indies im told about... never really do.

Fat guy? Maybe the 7th heaven guitarist was behind it... smiling and bouncing.... his neck wobbling....

What indies live up to the hype? Cos a bunch of indies im told about... never really do.

Fat guy? Maybe the 7th heaven guitarist was behind it... smiling and bouncing.... his neck wobbling....

:lol:

For me, off the top of my head, the only indies that really stand up to the hype are:

Hotboy - 'Barely Legal'

Intuition - 'Turn it on'

Inside Out - both CDs

Friction - 'Body Talk'

Black Rose - 'Walk it like ya talk it'

Wow... to be honest, at the moment, they're all I can think of at the moment. Maybe I was being generous in saying there were 10 bands. Might have to make that only 5 unless I can be proven wrong. :)

For me, off the top of my head, the only indies that really stand up to the hype are:

Hotboy - 'Barely Legal'

Intuition - 'Turn it on'

Inside Out - both CDs

Friction - 'Body Talk'

Wow... to be honest, at the moment, they're all I can think of at the moment. Maybe I was being generous in saying there were 10 bands. Might have to make that only 5 unless I can be proven wrong. :)

Ive got cdr's of Friction and INside out... ill need to listen to them properly.

My problem, which im sure you agreeing with is that constantly on HH, ebay and so on there are people praising indie releases as the greatest thing that rock missed, and therefore people either pay hundreds for them, or reissue them. Now when i hear them or listen to clips sometimes i think "wow this band is cool, so glad they found it"... but the majority of the time i just think "well its rare for a reason... its not that good nor did they deserve a record deal".

Hotboy - 'Barely Legal'

Intuition - 'Turn it on'

Inside Out - both CDs

Friction - 'Body Talk'

Ive got cdr's of Friction and INside out... ill need to listen to them properly.

My problem, which im sure you agreeing with is that constantly on HH, ebay and so on there are people praising indie releases as the greatest thing that rock missed, and therefore people either pay hundreds for them, or reissue them. Now when i hear them or listen to clips sometimes i think "wow this band is cool, so glad they found it"... but the majority of the time i just think "well its rare for a reason... its not that good nor did they deserve a record deal".

Yeah, I agree there are a hell of a lot more indies that are rare for good reason than there are bands who were genuinely robbed of success. Another one I should mention I really like is the Surrender album. Those guys were great too and great to see that one get a good re-issue.

Hotboy - 'Barely Legal'

Intuition - 'Turn it on'

Inside Out - both CDs

Friction - 'Body Talk'

I think Sgt Roxx belongs on that list...

Hotboy - 'Barely Legal'

Intuition - 'Turn it on'

Inside Out - both CDs

Friction - 'Body Talk'

im sure there have been threads on this before...

I quite like the Hotboy disc - a few nice tracks on there. Nothing earth shatteringly orignal at all, but a lot better than some of the other shite bands in the same genre. I would also agree with Geoff, that this is definately one of the best indies I have heard compared to the mostly awful ones. How much does this one go for on ebay now, as I paid about £20 ($40) for mine, which wasn't that bad a deal at all.

Hotboy - 'Barely Legal'

Intuition - 'Turn it on'

Inside Out - both CDs

Friction - 'Body Talk'

im sure there have been threads on this before...

See that's where we go down other roads of travel. The Sgt Roxx albums (including the demos and more - all 16 tracks or however many there were) is good stuff, but by no means great. To be completely honest, I can see why they never got a deal... even if I can enjoy the EP it's not really much more than good whereas I'd list the others I mentioned as great. I'd say Sgt Roxx are maybe a little better than the hugely over-rated Jillson, but not by much. :) Just my thoughts.

I quite like the Hotboy disc - a few nice tracks on there. Nothing earth shatteringly orignal at all, but a lot better than some of the other shite bands in the same genre. I would also agree with Geoff, that this is definately one of the best indies I have heard compared to the mostly awful ones. How much does this one go for on ebay now, as I paid about £20 ($40) for mine, which wasn't that bad a deal at all.

Haha... just had to comment that I liked that post. Must admit I'd not have guessed that Jez and I would meet here as a time to agree on a band. Glad to hear you like these guys too, mate. :)

AND I LOVE IT! I think it's my new favourite song! Thank you Geoff for having the courage to speak up and point me in the direction of awesomness.

Phew, thanks mate. I was really starting to worry I might be on my own there, buddy. I appreciate it.

(what alternative do I really have to find comfort in?)

:rofl2: Pretty sneaky there G!!!

Hehehe, watching the singer reminds me of Dee Snider's ugly younger brother trying to imitating David Lee Roth's karate high kicks.

Great find Matt! Laughed for half an hour after watching this!

Geoff... I also heard that HOTBOY was a studio creation and that the guys on the CD photo didn't actually perform the music on the CD. This video wasn't shot with any actual live footage scenes, which means that the guys in the video would be lipsyncing. As far as I know HOTBOY never played a live show.

No matter who performed on this CD I rather like it. Not typically the style of music I like, but I do find myself slipping this one in the CD player fairly often.

Geoff... I also heard that HOTBOY was a studio creation and that the guys on the CD photo didn't actually perform the music on the CD. This video wasn't shot with any actual live footage scenes, which means that the guys in the video would be lipsyncing. As far as I know HOTBOY never played a live show.

No matter who performed on this CD I rather like it. Not typically the style of music I like, but I do find myself slipping this one in the CD player fairly often.

Ah, finally! Thanks, Dave, I was starting to wonder if I was completely off-mark here. I knew I'd heard it somewhere. Whether it is true or not, I am not sure... but it's definitely what I'd heard. :) Also cool to hear there's another fan of the disc.

love the track & clip, find it hard to believe so many folks here are slamming hotboy.

Yeah, backed, mate. Just watched it here at home and it only verified how much I love this song and band... this kind of stuff is the reason I visit this site!!

As for the authenticity of the guys in the filmclip, there's no reason in the world I'd have to say why they aren't the real guys who played on the album. Wish I hadn't heard that other rumour now. Looks as good as any other flimclip from the era. ;) Love it!! Thanks for the link, chocularok.

I can tell you FOR SURE this video was filmed in Portland, Oregon (at least the outside street shots and on the Willamette River in the boat). The venue looks like the old Starry Night (now the Roseland).

The drummer and bass player are absolutely the same guys from the CD cover. The lead singer in the video doesn't really look like SCREAM to me. His hair is shorter, more blonde, and he's just a little better looking (can't believe I said that). Check out your CD covers and let me know what you think.

I can tell you the shots inside the Z100 radio station look authentic. Those decals are old-school and haven't been used since the early 90's at the latest when they changed formats. I wish there were more shots on the street with the City as the backdrop...

Anyway, I had several email conversation with Michael (drummer) a couple of years ago (Michael was not his real name). We were going to meet so I could get the whole story, but it never happened. Maybe I should try to get in touch with him again?

I can tell you FOR SURE this video was filmed in Portland, Oregon (at least the outside street shots and on the Willamette River in the boat). The venue looks like the old Starry Night (now the Roseland).

The drummer and bass player are absolutely the same guys from the CD cover. The lead singer in the video doesn't really look like SCREAM to me. His hair is shorter, more blonde, and he's just a little better looking (can't believe I said that). Check out your CD covers and let me know what you think.

I can tell you the shots inside the Z100 radio station look authentic. Those decals are old-school and haven't been used since the early 90's at the latest when they changed formats. I wish there were more shots on the street with the City as the backdrop...

Anyway, I had several email conversation with Michael (drummer) a couple of years ago (Michael was not his real name). We were going to meet so I could get the whole story, but it never happened. Maybe I should try to get in touch with him again?

Mate, I would love to hear the outcome of that conversation if you ever met up with the guy!!

I was also thinking the non-live footage of the band hanging out looked kind of authentic too, but I also thought how easy it would be to film that with actors. :) Either way, I'd love to know once and for all what the story is with these guys. I was going to compare the video to the cover too but I forgot. I agree that at least a couple of the guys looked like the guys on the cover from memory.

Here's what I know FOR SURE...

I purchased my first copy of this CD from a place called LOCALS ONLY in Portland, Oregon in spring 1993. Locals Only is (was) just that... a small music shop that only sold material from local artists (Portland and the Northwest). I knew the owner a bit as I would drop by his store regularly looking for Dan Reed Network information (starting in about 1988).

Anyway, he just so happened to be playing the Hot Boy CD when I strolled in one afternoon. I'll never forget how great I thought it was. What a refreshing change from Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc. Let me tell you, if you think you guys heard your fair share of those bands from 1991 - 1994, you should have walked a mile in my shoes. Living 150 miles from Seattle I couldn't get away from those guys.

Anyway, back to the story. I asked the owner who he had playing. He actually had to look at the CD to tell me. He said it was some local 80's rock band who was no longer together and that the lead singer was now selling used cars. Didn't mean much to me then, but I remember the conversation well. Anyway, I purchased one Hot Boy CD for like $7.99. He told me he had about 10 more copies and said he'd sell them all for $5.00 each if I wanted them. He said they's been on the shelf for years... That is a TRUE story as best I can remember the conversation. I am not making any of this up!

I didn't think much more about Hot Boy until about 1999 when I became friends with PJ. He and I did a good bit of business before he ever became KISS MY DISC, etc. I'm talking about his days on the Meatl Ring site, even before ebay took off. Again, sorry for the side bar, but it's semi-relevant. PJ sent me a WANT LIST that had Hot Boy - Barely Legal listed on it. I asked him if he'd ever heard them. He said no, but that several Japanese buyers were looking for copies. Well, I found four used copies at a place in Beaverton (Portland suburb) called Canyon Exchance. I purchased all four and sent them to PJ for like $15.00 each in trade. I'm sure he made a few bucks off that transaction, but he and I were friends and I was happy to help. Again, this is before ebay so I had no idea how much this CD was selling for.

Back on track now. I can tell you for sure this recording is authentic, and it was released in 1989. Not only do I have a timeline from Locals Only, but check this out... last year this time I was sadly going through all of the inventory at another locals shop called FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH RECORDS. Dude was going out of business after like 30 years in Portland. He I went back to 1984 when I was at his shop for a WASP in-store signing. Anyway, when I was going through a bunch of stuff he had in sealed boxes under a bunch of other boxes, posters and a bunch of dust, I found three brand new / still sealed copies of the Hot Boy cassette tape. That's right, the cassette tape. You think the CD is rare, have any of you ever seen the cassette? Well now you can as I will post a photo here:

Take a look at the price tag and the date. 5-17-90. The owner of FWIW Records put a date on every price tag on every item in the shop. I purchased a bunch of albums that same day, some of which dated to 1983. How he still had all of those is beyond me? Naturally I purchased all of the cassettes he had. I searched for hours hoping to find more, and I was really hoping to find some CD's, but there were none.

HotBoyFront.jpg

HotBoyBack.jpg

So, I can say with certainty the CD / Cassette Tape was released in 1989 as stated on the back cover. I can also tell you by looking at the cover of the CD and frame-by-frame captions of the video that the drummer and bass player are the same on the CD as in the video. Scream looks a little different in the video, I'm not Perry Mason, so who knows?

So, now that the CD has been authenticized to 1989, I can say with certaintly the video is also from that general time frame. The drummer looks identical. Check it out for yourself. Also, I mentioned the Z100 thing, this also helps establish the timeline.

What I cannot say is wheteher or not HOT BOY was actually a real band, or just a lead singer with some hired guns to play music. My email conversations with the drummer lead me to believe Scream was the singer, but the rest of the guys really weren't in the band, although they did play as studio musicians. So, they were a "band," I just don't think they ever played together outside the studio... at least that's what I was lead to believe. Mike (drummer) and I were going to meet and discuss the situation, but our schedules conflicted and it never happened.

Follow this link to get a bit of the story from Mike himself: http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glam...me=Barely+Legal

That's all I have! I hope that helps a bit?

I purchased my first copy of this CD from a place called LOCALS ONLY in Portland, Oregon in spring 1993. Locals Only is (was) just that... a small music shop that only sold material from local artists (Portland and the Northwest). I knew the owner a bit as I would drop by his store regularly looking for Dan Reed Network information (starting in about 1988).

Anyway, he just so happened to be playing the Hot Boy CD when I strolled in one afternoon. I'll never forget how great I thought it was. What a refreshing change from Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc. Let me tell you, if you think you guys heard your fair share of those bands from 1991 - 1994, you should have walked a mile in my shoes. Living 150 miles from Seattle I couldn't get away from those guys.

Anyway, back to the story. I asked the owner who he had playing. He actually had to look at the CD to tell me. He said it was some local 80's rock band who was no longer together and that the lead singer was now selling used cars. Didn't mean much to me then, but I remember the conversation well. Anyway, I purchased one Hot Boy CD for like $7.99. He told me he had about 10 more copies and said he'd sell them all for $5.00 each if I wanted them. He said they's been on the shelf for years... That is a TRUE story as best I can remember the conversation. I am not making any of this up!

I didn't think much more about Hot Boy until about 1999 when I became friends with PJ. He and I did a good bit of business before he ever became KISS MY DISC, etc. I'm talking about his days on the Meatl Ring site, even before ebay took off. Again, sorry for the side bar, but it's semi-relevant. PJ sent me a WANT LIST that had Hot Boy - Barely Legal listed on it. I asked him if he'd ever heard them. He said no, but that several Japanese buyers were looking for copies. Well, I found four used copies at a place in Beaverton (Portland suburb) called Canyon Exchance. I purchased all four and sent them to PJ for like $15.00 each in trade. I'm sure he made a few bucks off that transaction, but he and I were friends and I was happy to help. Again, this is before ebay so I had no idea how much this CD was selling for.

Back on track now. I can tell you for sure this recording is authentic, and it was released in 1989. Not only do I have a timeline from Locals Only, but check this out... last year this time I was sadly going through all of the inventory at another locals shop called FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH RECORDS. Dude was going out of business after like 30 years in Portland. He I went back to 1984 when I was at his shop for a WASP in-store signing. Anyway, when I was going through a bunch of stuff he had in sealed boxes under a bunch of other boxes, posters and a bunch of dust, I found three brand new / still sealed copies of the Hot Boy cassette tape. That's right, the cassette tape. You think the CD is rare, have any of you ever seen the cassette? Well now you can as I will post a photo here:

Take a look at the price tag and the date. 5-17-90. The owner of FWIW Records put a date on every price tag on every item in the shop. I purchased a bunch of albums that same day, some of which dated to 1983. How he still had all of those is beyond me? Naturally I purchased all of the cassettes he had. I searched for hours hoping to find more, and I was really hoping to find some CD's, but there were none.

HotBoyFront.jpg

HotBoyBack.jpg

So, I can say with certainty the CD / Cassette Tape was released in 1989 as stated on the back cover. I can also tell you by looking at the cover of the CD and frame-by-frame captions of the video that the drummer and bass player are the same on the CD as in the video. Scream looks a little different in the video, I'm not Perry Mason, so who knows?

So, now that the CD has been authenticized to 1989, I can say with certaintky the video is also from that general time frame. The drummer looks identical. Check it out for yourself. Also, I mentioned the Z100 thing, this also helps establish the timeline.

What I cannot say is wheteher or not HOT BOY was actually a real band, or just a lead singer with some hired guns to play music. My email conversations with the drummer lead me to believe Scream was the singer, but the rest of the guys really weren't in the band, although they did play as studio musicians. So, they were a "band," I just don't think they ever played together outside the studio... at least that's what I was lead to believe. Mike (drummer) and I were going to meet and discuss the situation, but our schedules conflicted and it never happened.

Follow this link to get a bit of the story from Mike himself: http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glam...me=Barely+Legal

Thanks mate, cool stuff. The two dark haired guys are definitely in the filmclip... the two blondes, not so sure. I'm pretty sure the lead singer in the fimlclip is not one on that cover. He was much uglier than those guys.

10 copies for $5 each! WOW! Wouldn't you love to go back to that moment in time right now. :lol:

I would have liked to go back to that point ($5.00 offer) a few years ago before more sealed copies surfaced. I found one more used copy at a pawn shop about 6 years ago and sold it on ebay to a guy in Japan for $399.00 with BUY IT NOW. I "think" PJ got a lot more than that for the copies I sent him back in 1999. Live and learn :)

So, now that the CD has been authenticized to 1989, I can say with certaintly the video is also from that general time frame. The drummer looks identical. Check it out for yourself. Also, I mentioned the Z100 thing, this also helps establish the timeline.

That was a great read! I was one of those that purchased the still sealed cd's that were going for $40 a piece a couple years back and I'm not disappointed at all. Not many tracks but what's there is very good IMO. The video looks authentic and if it had been recently made, I guarantee every one of us would be picking things out of it that didn't seem right. As to why they never toured, it probably was a few hired session guns and maybe a couple stand in pretty boys on the cover? I'm sure someone could find out what the real story is.