FAVORITE CD STORES/PAWNSHOPS

Nelson

The pickings aren't anywhere near what they used to be. Some of you may recall that I used to do a feature on my personal web site and on several mailing lists (and here on the board for a while) called "The Scrounger's Report". I used to go out several times a month, monthly at the minimum, and hit all of the towns in Central Illinois, along with a few spots in Indiana.

It got to the point that the turnover was getting extremely poor, no new influx of material from our genres; all I was seeing was rap, r&b, and country. That, combined with the soaring price of gasoline, pretty much kept me grounded. Store closings haven't helped either.

That's too bad...because the two that I've been to have TONS of 80's/early 90's hard rock/hair metal/aor/sleaze/thrash/classic heavy metal. I know...I'm lucky! lol

The pickings aren't anywhere near what they used to be.

I've never done Peoria, and I avoid Chicagoland like the plague.

Happy hunting,

-Dan

Greg Moore has a nice used CD store in Peoria, can't think of the name of it. You have to spend some time looking, but, there are some Gems to be found. The pawns are full of trash, don't waste your time. I used to find killer stuff in the pawns from France - Lay It On Me to Schoolboy Crush, but not any more.......My daughter lived in Peoria and I would routinely check the stores out whenever we went up there.

As far as Chicagoland is concerned.....couldn't agree more. Oh, and Recycled in Springfield has really gone downhill the last few years. That place used to be a Goldmine with their bargain bins, but not any longer. I'm always afraid the whole building is going to collapse while I'm there someday. The weight on those old floors has to be tremendous!!! LOL!!!

Del

Greg Moore has a nice used CD store in Peoria, can't think of the name of it. You have to spend some time looking, but, there are some Gems to be found. The pawns are full of trash, don't waste your time. I used to find killer stuff in the pawns from France - Lay It On Me to Schoolboy Crush, but not any more.......My daughter lived in Peoria and I would routinely check the stores out whenever we went up there.

The only things I'm seeing in the yellow pages for Peoria or East Peoria are a few Co-Op Records, a few Muzak, and "Younger Than Today"... was it a chain store or independent?

Thanks,

-Dan

Decatur. As mentioned earlier in this thread, G-Bs is the place to go. Stagnant inventory with respect to collectible material, but if you're looking for recent rock and metal, they get a lot of turnover. If you read my Scrounger's Reports, when I first discovered them I went nuts and found BUNCHES of neat stuff.

You can pretty much scratch this one off the list as well. They Too have discovered the

internet/ebay and have sold off a Huge chunk of what they had...they still

are pretty good on ordering some stuff and the $$ aren't too bad, but the used stuff

is crappy.. :crying:

The only things I'm seeing in the yellow pages for Peoria or East Peoria are a few Co-Op Records, a few Muzak, and "Younger Than Today"... was it a chain store or independent?

Thanks,

-Dan

Its an indy store.....used to be called Recycled Records on Main street, but he moved not far from the Mall and changed the name. I just can't think of the name of it. It's on the street that is the main thoroughfare on the north side of the mall. Go east back toward downtown and the store is on the right (south side) about halfway from the mall and the downtown area......that is about the best I can do.

Del

Ergf. Considering I've never been to Peoria and don't recognize the landmarks you're referring to, that might be tough.

Do any of the listings or map points in the link below ring a bell?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clie...=1&ct=image

Thanks,

-Dan

Ergf. Considering I've never been to Peoria and don't recognize the landmarks you're referring to, that might be tough.

Do any of the listings or map points in the link below ring a bell?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clie...=1&ct=image

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan

I believe "Hot Topic" is the one........it is located on War Memorial Drive.....that is the name of the street. War Memorial is on one side of the Mall and McArthur Blvd on the other........

Del

Thanks,

-Dan

Now I find that amazing!!! You live so close and go all over northern Illinois and Indiana on your hunts and yet, haven't driven 50-75 miles over to Peoria.....??????

Thanks,

-Dan

Now I find that amazing!!! You live so close and go all over northern Illinois and Indiana on your hunts and yet, haven't driven 50-75 miles over to Peoria.....??????

Just one of those things I never got around to doing. When I was active my route was large enough that I didn't need to add another area, and then I got out of the hunt.

-Dan