FAVORITE CD STORES/PAWNSHOPS

Nelson

This maybe a good idea for those who travel some great distance for business meetings or whathaveyou. These are the ones that I frequent to. So, if you ever get a chance to go to:

Minneapolis, MN:

CHEAPO - 1300 W. Lake Street, Minneapolis, MN - This place is HUGE! But the price is not that cheapo.

(Not so sure anymore about the Electric Fetus in St. Paul. But that one in Duluth, MN is not that great anymore. I've been there several times with no luck on finding hard rock CDs.)

Northern Illinois:

Rainbow Records - 714 S. Northwest Hwy. Barrington, IL - This one has a $6.00-Wall-of-CDs with some pretty good titles in them. Got my Iced Earth, Sanctuary, 21 Guns and Saigon Kick to name just a few from this store. Sometimes, you'll stumbled with some indies there, too. And the owner is cool, too. Good to check out every month.

Disc Replay - 13 W. Golf Road, Hoffman Estate, IL - This one's a favorite. This is where I stumbled upon my mint Roxy Blue, Steelheart, Zyris CDs. The prices are not the same. I got the Roxy Blue for $2 and the others for $4.99.

Madison, WI:

Preplayed - 3858 E. Washington Ave., Madison, WI - This one is where you'll spend crazy amount of money not because they're expensive but they have alot of goodies! If you're lucky, you might find yourself holding a Shut Up and Drive CD or some other local WI bands. I highly recommend.

First in foremost and they are all over 1/2 Priced Books!!! there are like 5 in Washington State, where I,m at.

Secondly is the Pawn Exchange!!! CD's are always .85 cents a piece, but quite often they do 2 for a dollar. I LIVE FOR THESE STORES!!! And there must be around a dozen throughout W.S.

These are the only places I buy CD's.

I'll tell you Sioux Falls has absolutely dried up when it comes to finding the good stuff. The two (and only used cd stores in town) Last Stop CD Shops have switched priorities from cd's to DVD's and games so instead of paying $5.00 a piece for in demand used cd's they now pay only a buck, two or three, which has really caused a big decrease in the amount of new stock they are taking in. Also, they have become very selective about what they buy. Just to see how clueless they really are I recently took in (though not intending to sell) Spread Eagle's s/t and Roxxi - Drive It... with some common stuff and they passed on both of them. Very painful thinking of some of the stuff they must also be passing on. When I worked in a used cd store my manager's motto was "If we don't have it, we can't sell it". I wish Last Stop would adopt that mentality. The pawn shops have also had just about nothing I'm interested in for quite some time.

I saw Cheapo's mentioned above. Fargo has one and that place was a gold mine the last time I was in there. But I haven't been back in over a year so I really need to get up there again. Great store!

Hasting's are usually good for finding some hidden gems but very tedious going through their stacks.

I recently took an entire day off to do some cd hunting for the first time in a few years around some NSW cities/towns. A mate and i hit about 12 music shops/pawn shops in one day... and at the end of the day id bought 1 cd... and it was a bloody Bon Jovi cd! And amazingly it was in the 12th shop we went to.

I saw perhaps 1, maybe two ,other cd's in our genre but they were both ordinary.

The last time i went in this area about 2 or 3 years ago i came back with about 25 cds.

Shops are closing down, or already gone. Many not even having CD's anymore, or if they do they have a handful on a shelf. All the Spice Girls and Scandulus Cd's you could ever want!

It makes ebay the only option.

I checked out a few cd stores whilst I was in perth. 1 Place I walked out with Wildland, 21 Guns, Atmosfear... and a handful of others. I was hoping to get some more time and go back there but didn't get the chance.

There's 1-2 stores here in Adelaide that still stock a reasonable amount of 2nd hand discs. Last time I went to 1 of these I walked out with something like 15 discs. They had a whole heap of what looked like mid-80s metal on cd that I was tempted to buy but passed cos I didn;t know enough to take the chance. Haven't been back there in a while....

A couple of my favorites:

Music Connection (Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ) - this store has been my brother's and my "home base" for over a decade now. They stock just about every in-print indie rock/metal title you can think of, and cover all genres from metal to thrash to grind to hardcore to black metal. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it for you. The used selection is ridiculously disorganized (piles and boxes and bins of random CDs placed all over the store), but if you've got time to kill and don't mind rooting thru the stacks you can always come up with some long lost goodies. They also have T-Shirts, DVDs, 'zines, etc., etc. I wish I could visit there more often nowadays, but since I moved out of the area I only get to drop by a couple of times a year when I go to visit my Mom.

Sound Exchange (Route 23 North, Wayne, NJ) - I used to pass this place on my way home from work every day until they transferred me to a new office (:doh:) and always stopped in frequently. The store is tiny, the aisles are cramped, but the selection is worth it. Again, this store specializes in rock (no top 40, rap, or country to be found! :beerbang:) and they have a LOT of imported stuff. Unfortunately their prices for said imports are rather steep but if you just GOTTA have it, I suppose it's worth it strictly for convenience's sake. These guys also have a well stocked used-CD selection.

Vintage Vinyl (Lafayette Road, Fords, New Jersey) - I've raved about this place around here in the past so some of you might be familiar with it. Vintage Vinyl is not only the best record store in New Jersey, but one of the best in the known universe, IMHO. The metal section is HUGE, basically if they don't have it, it simply doesn't exist. Tons of DVDs, shirts, merch, and other goodies abound, and the store also has regular "in-store" signing sessions and occasional live performances by major artists (Rob Halford was just there a few months ago). Quite simply, V.V. is the best CD store in this or any alternate universe. Only problem is that it's so damned far away from me (about a 90 minute drive) that I can only get there once or twice a year if I'm lucky... http://www.vvinyl.com

GB's Music Decatur Ill.

This place was a goldmine for years as the Bros(Gary and Bob) that ran it/owe it didn't

keep up with technology and had a TON of great things that were cheap..average

CD price was 6.99-8.99 for use and some new stuff. London and myself went there every week and found tons of goodies..well one of the Bros (Gary) his Wife got them a computer

and now they have joined the ranks of eBay/amazon sellers and the prices have

doubled for used stuff..and they had SO much stuff they didn't even know what they had..

Luckily I had pretty much picked over everything they had...still it sucks, I lost a

great place to find stuff...

• 4 weeks later...

Vinyl Exchange - Manchester centre, second hand stuff and a few industry bods (DJ's, Journalists)used to drop their stuff there so you get lots of promos. It used to be awesome but it has gone off the boil a little.....but if you root around you can usually find something good n cheap.

In it's heyday you could pick up tons of AOR and hard rock dirt cheap there. I got the first The Storm CD (the one with the guy with a brolly) as a promo for about £3 months and months before it was released over here.

Muse Music - Hebden Bridge....just a nice shop you could spend hours in good cross section of stuff...PLENTY of AOR, Mel Rock, Hard Rock e.t.c. Sid the owner is just one really friendly awesome guy. I rang him up to put aside a couple of Diamond Head CDs for me that I was kicking myself for not picking up when I was in, I wasn't sure when I'd next be visiting and thought it may have been up to 4 weeks before I could get down. But he still put them to one side ... no deposit .... no if's and buts. I managed to pick them up within a week or so anyway. Not a big shop but you could spend hours in there browsing and chatting.....unfortunately I usually have Wendy and Ben with me so after 30 mins I'm pushing it. I really miss that kind of record shop.

X-Records - Bolton huge choice again.....I always say next time I go I'm gonna make sure I have some cash and again time to browse. How many shops in the U.K. have the Boulevard CD just sat there in the racking.

There's another reasonable record shop in a place called Clitheroe...again plenty of hard rock...can't remember the name...but it's the only one in the town.

I also like to check out charity shops, car boot sales and market stalls as every so often something drops into your mitts. Todmorden has a good market stall for CD's and it has quite a few live boots on it too. Even in Middleton market the missus picked up Danger Danger - Cockroach for me for something daft like £3 again...I think the stallholder knocked the price down from £4 (if I remember rightly) as it had a cracked case....also the sleeve was in backwards so the front of the CD showed the band pics...she bought it on the off chance I might like it because the guys on the front had long hair (so if the sleeve hadn't been reversed she might never have bought it).

• 4 weeks later...

FAT FREDDY!

You been to my stomping ground VINTAGE VINYL. I'm there almost every saturday afternoon. I was there last week and picked up MICHAEL BOLTON-EVERYBODY'S CRAZY and MOTHER'S FINEST-MOTHER'S FINEST both c.d.s cost $50.00 (ROCK CANDY RELEASES). They sometimes have bands play as well. I've seen WOLFMOTHER, SWORD, BURNT BY THE SUN on different days of course. They also have a big used selection as well.

PRINCETON RECORD EXCHANGE

Thousands and thousands of used c.d.s. Basically my two favorite places.

Music Connection (Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ) - this store has been my brother's and my "home base" for over a decade now. They stock just about every in-print indie rock/metal title you can think of, and cover all genres from metal to thrash to grind to hardcore to black metal. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it for you. The used selection is ridiculously disorganized (piles and boxes and bins of random CDs placed all over the store), but if you've got time to kill and don't mind rooting thru the stacks you can always come up with some long lost goodies. They also have T-Shirts, DVDs, 'zines, etc., etc. I wish I could visit there more often nowadays, but since I moved out of the area I only get to drop by a couple of times a year when I go to visit my Mom.

Sound Exchange (Route 23 North, Wayne, NJ) - I used to pass this place on my way home from work every day until they transferred me to a new office (:doh:) and always stopped in frequently. The store is tiny, the aisles are cramped, but the selection is worth it. Again, this store specializes in rock (no top 40, rap, or country to be found! :beerbang:) and they have a LOT of imported stuff. Unfortunately their prices for said imports are rather steep but if you just GOTTA have it, I suppose it's worth it strictly for convenience's sake. These guys also have a well stocked used-CD selection.

Vintage Vinyl (Lafayette Road, Fords, New Jersey) - I've raved about this place around here in the past so some of you might be familiar with it. Vintage Vinyl is not only the best record store in New Jersey, but one of the best in the known universe, IMHO. The metal section is HUGE, basically if they don't have it, it simply doesn't exist. Tons of DVDs, shirts, merch, and other goodies abound, and the store also has regular "in-store" signing sessions and occasional live performances by major artists (Rob Halford was just there a few months ago). Quite simply, V.V. is the best CD store in this or any alternate universe. Only problem is that it's so damned far away from me (about a 90 minute drive) that I can only get there once or twice a year if I'm lucky... http://www.vvinyl.com

I'll back up Vintage Vinyl. :beerbang: I went there with a friend 4-5 months ago and the place is big. Took a little over an hour to get there but was definitely worth it. You're right, the Metal CD section is huge - best I've seen at any store so far. I was kind of blown away by what they had. Ended up grabbing 5 CD's and could've gotten more but I didn't want to go nuts that day. My friend bought around 10 CD's. I picked up Talisman - S/T, Saxon - Rock The Nations, The newest Manowar, and 2 others I can't remember. They had tons from Thrash/Power/Traditional Metal, Hard/Glam Rock - old and new. They had plenty of titles that are listed on this site. If you can't find something there, there's something wrong with you - nah, just kidding (figure of speech). But really, awesome huge selection and you won't be disappointed so if anyone ever thinks of going - go for it. :headbanger: Music Connection sounds like a cool place to check out.

There's also a record, tape, and CD convention at Merchants Square Mall in Allentown PA that happens every 3 months - so 4 times a year. I went faithfully each time for a couple years but haven't recently. They have some good vendors there that have a good selection of Rock and Metal CD's. One is Keytunes - was my favorite and really only place to stop at since they always had what I wanted - I would always spend around $100 there each trip! I picked up stuff like Steeler (Germany), Fifth Angel, Alice Cooper, Bonfire, Wrathchild (U.K.), Dionysis, Stratovarious, and many others there. I missed the last recent one but will definitely try to hit up the next one.

I'll back up Vintage Vinyl. :beerbang: I went there with a friend 4-5 months ago and the place is big. Took a little over an hour to get there but was definitely worth it. You're right, the Metal CD section is huge - best I've seen at any store so far. I was kind of blown away by what they had. Ended up grabbing 5 CD's and could've gotten more but I didn't want to go nuts that day. My friend bought around 10 CD's. I picked up Talisman - S/T, Saxon - Rock The Nations, The newest Manowar, and 2 others I can't remember. They had tons from Thrash/Power/Traditional Metal, Hard/Glam Rock - old and new. They had plenty of titles that are listed on this site. If you can't find something there, there's something wrong with you - nah, just kidding (figure of speech). But really, awesome huge selection and you won't be disappointed so if anyone ever thinks of going - go for it. :headbanger: Music Connection sounds like a cool place to check out.

There's also a record, tape, and CD convention at Merchants Square Mall in Allentown PA that happens every 3 months - so 4 times a year. I went faithfully each time for a couple years but haven't recently. They have some good vendors there that have a good selection of Rock and Metal CD's. One is Keytunes - was my favorite and really only place to stop at since they always had what I wanted - I would always spend around $100 there each trip! I picked up stuff like Steeler (Germany), Fifth Angel, Alice Cooper, Bonfire, Wrathchild (U.K.), Dionysis, Stratovarious, and many others there. I missed the last recent one but will definitely try to hit up the next one.

If you been to ALLENTOWN, you must have stopped in to VYAGRA RECORDS. I think the guy's name was JOHN. He got me an autograph poster of DIAMOND HEAD when they played a metalfest here in jersey awhile back.

DAMN!

I wish I could get in touch with him!

If you been to ALLENTOWN, you must have stopped in to VYAGRA RECORDS. I think the guy's name was JOHN. He got me an autograph poster of DIAMOND HEAD when they played a metalfest here in jersey awhile back.

DAMN!

I wish I could get in touch with him!

Yes, I know him. Two of my friends were in contact with him regularly and frequented his store which is now closed unfortunately. I was there a couple times - he's cool and sure loves 80's metal. I played that Metalfest you're talking about - April 2002 in Asbury Park. I was in a band called Black Fate at the time. We kicked off the second day on the main stage. The whole weekend was a blast - one of the best times I've had. John also had his own Metalfest in Allentown at Croc Rock which we played - I was in a band called Krusifire at that time. I think my friend Tony still talks to him here and there. Cheers :beerbang:

GB's Music Decatur Ill.

This place was a goldmine for years as the Bros(Gary and Bob) that ran it/owe it didn't

keep up with technology and had a TON of great things that were cheap..average

CD price was 6.99-8.99 for use and some new stuff. London and myself went there every week and found tons of goodies..well one of the Bros (Gary) his Wife got them a computer

and now they have joined the ranks of eBay/amazon sellers and the prices have

doubled for used stuff..and they had SO much stuff they didn't even know what they had..

Luckily I had pretty much picked over everything they had...still it sucks, I lost a

great place to find stuff...

I remember finding a box under the cd bin with about a foot of dust on it. It was a box full of the old long box cd 's. 21 guns-Salute, Spread Eagle-Open To The Public, Shooting Gallery, Tora Tora-Wild America and Little Caesar-Influenced. That was a good day. :lol:

• 6 months later...

The best cd store in my lo-cal just closed down (don't be sad, bad owner). You could listen to metal, rock, etc. with headphones and buy when you were inclined. I enjoyed the store for at least 14 years. Anyways, since then, it has been pure net purchases. I've checked a couple of local pawnshops, but the cds are in such bad condition, it does not make sense. I will survive. :drink:

• 3 months later...

Memphis isn't really the best city to try and find used metal CDs. There are only 2 stores that carry a selection of any size of used CDs.

Spin Street Music - I've been lucky here a few times, but not enough for my liking. I've been in Memphis for about 2 and a half years, and can probably count on both hands the number of discs I've found (with a finger or two to spare).

Replays - I've had more luck here than at Spin Street. Still not enough, though. Metal just isn't that big of a deal in Memphis so it's tough to find stuff.

I've never really gone pawnshop diving around here. Most pawnshops are in parts of town where whitey might not want to be...

Memphis isn't really the best city to try and find used metal CDs. There are only 2 stores that carry a selection of any size of used CDs.

Spin Street Music - I've been lucky here a few times, but not enough for my liking. I've been in Memphis for about 2 and a half years, and can probably count on both hands the number of discs I've found (with a finger or two to spare).

Replays - I've had more luck here than at Spin Street. Still not enough, though. Metal just isn't that big of a deal in Memphis so it's tough to find stuff.

I've never really gone pawnshop diving around here. Most pawnshops are in parts of town where whitey might not want to be...

well at least you may have a chance to see m.steel performing live(i don't know if for free like the olde days,aaaaaaaaaaaaargh....) :banana:

This is a really cool thread...and right up my alley too! haha

I just love looking through these kind of stores...Both of my favs are actually just "used" CD stores...

I've been going back to one in Muskegon, Michigan for a while now. I've found A TON of stuff there...a good amount of the more "rare" and obscure bands too! The store is called, "Recordings and More". I usually go back there every chance I get, because there are always different ones popping up...Most of them there are around $8 a piece. I would go and list all that I found there, but that would take a while! A few of the "lesser known" ones that I found are from the likes of; 21 Guns, Alien, Alias, No Sweat, Arcade, Danger Danger, Bonham, Badlands, Kingofthehill, House Of Lords, LostBoys and so many others! This is by far my favorite CD store...

And then today, made a trip to Grand Rapids, and actually found another one! Wow, how lucky can I get, right?! lol

It's simply called, "CD's/DVD's". I got a bunch of stuff there today! Was so surprised to see all that they had...Some are $4.99, and then some are closer to $7 or $8. But I actually found Great White's debut...now that one was about $16 I think...Not gonna be able to go back to this one as much, because don't really live that close.

RECORD EXCHANGE Hampton Avenue, St. Louis is the largest music/movie store I've ever entered. They used to have 5 or 6 stores in St Louis and consolidated into one mammoth store that once was the St Louis Public Library building. They have so much in there, the owner doesn't even know what he has. You have to spend a lot of time and you'll find lots of JUNK, but, you'll also find the mega rarities too. Prices average about 8.99 or so, so they aren't dirt cheap.

The pickings aren't anywhere near what they used to be. Some of you may recall that I used to do a feature on my personal web site and on several mailing lists (and here on the board for a while) called "The Scrounger's Report". I used to go out several times a month, monthly at the minimum, and hit all of the towns in Central Illinois, along with a few spots in Indiana.

It got to the point that the turnover was getting extremely poor, no new influx of material from our genres; all I was seeing was rap, r&b, and country. That, combined with the soaring price of gasoline, pretty much kept me grounded. Store closings haven't helped either.

Also, I've kind of gotten away from hardcore CD collecting. In fact, I'm planning to sell off more material from my collection. The one area where I'm still going fairly strong is my CD singles collection. There's enough "off-the-beaten-path" material out there to hold my interest.

Any more though, given the letdown I tend to experience from spending a day going around, only to find virtually NOTHING, I tend to just hit eBay and be done with it. *sigh*

Let me see if I can throw out a few shops that I used to hit, in case anyone here in the midwest feels like hitting them (since I'm not any more).

Champaign-Urbana. Dead as a doornail. There isn't even a CD store in the mall any more. There is a very small new/used CD store in downtown Champaign named "Exile on Main Street" that I hit every few months and I find some interesting CD singles periodically. Not worth a special trip though.

Danville. Chart Records is about it. They still might have some NOS in longboxes, but they had discovered eBay as of a few years ago, so the pickings are slim. On the same street (Vermilion) that they are on are a few pawn shops with poor pickings and a Used-CD Exchange with stagnant inventory and ridiculous pricing.

Charleston/Mattoon. The really good pawn shops I used to frequent there have closed. 4th Street Records occasionally has a few discs, but they cater to the liberal artsy-fartsy crowd and are more of a head shop.

Tuscola. Music for a Song has really gone downhill. They used to have GREAT import bins where I found bunches of sealed Japanese imports for $3-10 each. *sigh*

Decatur. As mentioned earlier in this thread, G-Bs is the place to go. Stagnant inventory with respect to collectible material, but if you're looking for recent rock and metal, they get a lot of turnover. If you read my Scrounger's Reports, when I first discovered them I went nuts and found BUNCHES of neat stuff.

Springfield. Recycled Records is the place to go. Combination of new and used CDs and shitty furniture. HUGE selection of vinyl if you're into that. I still try to get there once a year, as I do find some off-the-wall stuff on occasion. They usually have a sale all Febuary long, so I may head there next month.

Kankakee. Pawn shops have closed, but Bed Smart/Record Bar is still worth a visit off Exit 315. Another combination CD and cheap furniture store.

Bloomington. Monster Pawn occasionally has some finds. Eric's Fast Cash has really deteriorated, and the inventory ad Midwest Exchange sees zero turnover. It's been a while since I hit campus, as the last time I was there Discount Den no longer carried CDs, and 2 of the 4 CD stores had closed, and only 1 of the 2 left was worth a shit.... and even then only on occasion.

Pekin. Co-Op records is worth stopping in if you're into metal. I stop there when coming back from...

Canton. It's a crappy little town that there's really no easy way to get to, but for some reason has TWO really good CD stores. Capitol Music is decent if not pedestrian, but the real draw is Shandi's Music and More. Bobby, the owner, is a bigtime glam fan, and his store is a combination pawn shop, CD store, head shop, and hangout. DVDs, piercing jewelry, sports cards, porn mags, pro wrestling paraphernalia, you name it. He stocks all of the new material on Frontiers, Perris, Z Records, etc. Both new and used CDs. You'll do better online as far as pricing, but it's neat to be able to actually flip through the stuff, and you'll find Japanese imports as well as some out of print stuff. I seriously recommend a special trip.

I've never done Peoria, and I avoid Chicagoland like the plague.

Lastly, since I just went there today, I figure it's worth another mention:

Lafayette, IN. JL Records has just about anything and everything across all genres. Not cheap, but the selection is huge. Here is an article with pictures that shows what JL Records is all about. You can easily spend an entire day there. The other CD stores I used to frequent in Lafayette have closed.

I'm in the process of organizing the stuff I bought today (about $350 worth) so a new Scrounger's Report will be coming tonight or tomorrow. ;)

Happy hunting,

-Dan