Spanish "reader's comments"

Delbert

Yep....I know I'm about to stir up a hornet's nest, but I've never been one to mince words and I've always been pretty vocal about my opinions.......so here goes.......... :popcorn:

I have an issue with the Reader's comments posted in Spanish on the HH site. It's getting so they are growing and growing in numbers and has gotten to the point that I have just "stopped" reading that section of the site..... :whistle:

When the messageboard soon becomes filled with postings in "any language other than English", I will stop coming here as well.....

It just adds confusion.....I don't care if there is a translation mechanism in place, it is an additional step to take other than just browsing comments, plus, the translations always leave much to be desired.

This is America.....melting pop of the world.....why don't we have Bulgarian, Russian, French, Portugese, Chinese and Japanese comments posted too......aren't we suppose to be accomadating......or are we just being "politically correct" again here???? Where does this end???? For the past 200+ years we have communicated in ENGLISH in the UNITED STATES and now, all of a sudden, one group of people gets singled out for preferencial treatment..... :hammer:

So......when is the rest of the site going...."multilingual"????? Will I soon have to press a friggin' button when logging on to continue in English????? :yikes:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand where you're coming from, and sometimes I get frustrated and steer away from the "New Comments" page. Especially when the more verbose members do reviews that are like 3 or 4 posts long... that being said the bottom line for me is I'm just glad to see some interest in "our" music regardless of the language of the fans. :)

Like Pete sez, at least there's interest in "our" genre coming from somewhere... the only problem I have with the Spanish posts is that when I click the "Translate" thing to read it in English, the resulting translation usually makes little to no sense.

For example: THIS...

"Que paso aqui con los comentarios para este decente y buen trabajo. Un Melodic Rock con algo de AOR bastante moderno, difinitivamente con esos toques que suelen salir en estos dias, pero hay temas como Into the Wind (Mi Favorita), In The Lead, Watch Me Fly(Maravilloso tema), y los instrumentales en Fill It Up & On The Road Again, bueno bueno a ver que les parece, YO se los recomiendo... 7/10"

Becomes THIS...

"That step aqui with the commentaries for this decent and good work. A Melodic Rock with something of quite modern AOR, difinitivamente with those I touch that usually they leave in these days, but are subjects like Into the Wind (My Favorite), In The Lead, Watch Me Fly(Maravilloso subject), and instruments in Fill It Up & On The Road Again, good good for seeing that it seems to them, I recommend... 7/10"

Um...okayyyy...about all I can get from that is that he liked it? I realize that the "Babelfish" translator is far from perfect, of course, but sometimes I wonder if the situation is just as bad in reverse, i.e., are the Spanish speaking folks clicking to translate reviews from English into Spanish, and then going "WTF is this guy talking about?"

:lol:

Like Pete sez, at least there's interest in "our" genre coming from somewhere... the only problem I have with the Spanish posts is that when I click the "Translate" thing to read it in English, the resulting translation usually makes little to no sense.

"Que paso aqui con los comentarios para este decente y buen trabajo. Un Melodic Rock con algo de AOR bastante moderno, difinitivamente con esos toques que suelen salir en estos dias, pero hay temas como Into the Wind (Mi Favorita), In The Lead, Watch Me Fly(Maravilloso tema), y los instrumentales en Fill It Up & On The Road Again, bueno bueno a ver que les parece, YO se los recomiendo... 7/10"

Becomes THIS...

"That step aqui with the commentaries for this decent and good work. A Melodic Rock with something of quite modern AOR, difinitivamente with those I touch that usually they leave in these days, but are subjects like Into the Wind (My Favorite), In The Lead, Watch Me Fly(Maravilloso subject), and instruments in Fill It Up & On The Road Again, good good for seeing that it seems to them, I recommend... 7/10"

Um...okayyyy...about all I can get from that is that he liked it? I realize that the "Babelfish" translator is far from perfect, of course, but sometimes I wonder if the situation is just as bad in reverse, i.e., are the Spanish speaking folks clicking to translate reviews from English into Spanish, and then going "WTF is this guy talking about?"

Backed...I just crack up when I read some of the translations

Becomes THIS...

Backed...I just crack up when I read some of the translations

I've heard through some of my multilingual associates that the translations from English are equally amusing... :lol:

The thing that gets me sometimes,is the fact ...

No problem speaking in Spanish,but it's the way they start off in Spanish,change in mid-flow to English,then go back to Spanish again.

And not just on song titles and muso's by the way !!!

Hello folks, in my case always start my comment in english as "Great Hard Rock album" or "Good Melodic Hard Rock" is funny for you i know :P i think the english people understand if the album is good or bad then i write the next lines in spanish.

:rofl2: translation spanish to english or english to spanish is confuse but help all the translators have the same problem is normal

:puke: the spanish people always are :joust: always are disturb :pound:

:guitbannana:

I have to admit I rarely read the comments these days and I definitely agree with Pete about the 3 or 4 box comments per CD. They annoy me. I've only used the translations once too, and as per Keef's email I've not tried again since. :)

• 2023 Gold Donors

Im quite sick of it as well....im thinking of moving to Japan and starting an" American Cuisine" restaurant and heres the kicker..im not gonna bother learning japanese.I guess as long as the latin folks are hard rock/metal fans i might be willing to give them a pass,at least they have decent taste in music.

the bottom line for me is I'm just glad to see some interest in "our" music regardless of the language of the fans. :)

Pete........and again, my point.......does this mean that all those German, Swiss, Austrian, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, French, Portugese, Swedish, Norwegian, and many other language speaking friends do not have an interest? Not at all, they are just not "catered" to and are required to partake in the enjoyment using the English language.......after all, this site is not hosted in Panama, Guatamala, Mexico, Spain or any Latin American country now is it???? If you want to "join in' ....I enjoy having them all.......but, let's don't muddy up the waters just to please a certain group of people!!!! :thppt:

I rarely read the comments section anymore since many of the comments are in Spanish. This wouldn't bother me if the translation was accurate but instead I get a headache trying to figure out the broken English......Bottom line for me, I would prefer English only until the translation software (for all languages, to be fair) works properly....

Hmmm.... Since many of the complaints seem to be regarding consecutive comments on the same CD from the same party, do you think it would help if I doubled the character limit per message from 500 to 1000 characters?

(There has to be a limit of some sort).

-Dan

I rarely read the comments section anymore since many of the comments are in Spanish. This wouldn't bother me if the translation was accurate but instead I get a headache trying to figure out the broken English......Bottom line for me, I would prefer English only until the translation software (for all languages, to be fair) works properly....

You're never going to see perfect translation software due to idiomatic and contextual differences across languages.

What's out there now is not likely to improve appreciably within the near future...

I don't mind the spanish comments, I just skip them. Where is the problem ? We should be happy to have foreign fans of our music ! Their only problem is that they do not feel too safe writing in english. Fair enough ... !! And believe me, I have a number of german friends, who have the same problem.

the bottom line for me is I'm just glad to see some interest in "our" music regardless of the language of the fans. :)

Pete........and again, my point.......does this mean that all those German, Swiss, Austrian, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, French, Portugese, Swedish, Norwegian, and many other language speaking friends do not have an interest? Not at all, they are just not "catered" to and are required to partake in the enjoyment using the English language.......after all, this site is not hosted in Panama, Guatamala, Mexico, Spain or any Latin American country now is it???? If you want to "join in' ....I enjoy having them all.......but, let's don't muddy up the waters just to please a certain group of people!!!! :thppt:

I can definitely see where you're coming from, and if this was a bricks and mortar operation located here in the states I'd be a lot less open-minded. I'm a huge believer in if you live somewhere you need to learn the native language. But when I'm on a website (even one originating from the midwestern US) I feel more like it's an international gathering place and people can converse however they want. Depending on my mood I'll either skip over the comments, or if it's something I'm really interested in I can always get enough out of the mutated translation tools to satisfy my curiosity. Even when I'm in a less tolerant mood, I still go back to thinking about how it's great that there are fans of "our" music everywhere and sometimes they just don't speak the language. I guess I just wouldn't expect them to learn English just to make comments on a website.

Now if we're talking about the linguistic skills of customer service people catering to the US market, whether on the phone or in person... don't get me started... <_<

This is the the "WORLD WIDE WEB" not the "AMERICAN WEB".

Why should these people learn English just to post here?

This might be a US based site, but they are still sitting in their own countries.

I whole heartedly agree that if you move to another country, you should endeavour to learn the language.

But posting on the internet does not require that.

Simple fact is, Spanish, is quite possibly the second (or maybe first, but I am thinking English takes that crown) most spoken language in the world, so it makes a lot of sense to cater to that demographic over most other languages.

Also, you have the choice to skip over comments.

If you dont wanna read them, or cant read them, just skip em!

I dont speak Spanish, French, German or alien, but it does not bother me that people post in their native language.

If you really want this site to be an "AMERICAN" site, how about you only let Americans post!

I sort of agree with the Captain. Whereas the site is run by Americans which obviously means Dan/Mike etc can allow whoever they damn well want on here, but given that we have a small enough community as it is it seems a shame to alienate those who don't speak the language of THE MIGHTY COUNTRY. Dontcha think? :lol:

Well, there is one area where an "English only" policy would make my life easier: moderating the comments on the main site.

I frequently get emails from people complaining about what others have written: insults, profanity, etc. That's all fine and dandy, and usually I deal with it with a minimum of effort.

Then there are the emails I receive that are written entirely in Spanish from someone on the site complaining about what another Spanish speaker has written. Even using translators, it is a royal pain in the ass to (1) figure out what the complaint is, and (2) verify the veracity of the complaint, and then (3) communicate to the offending party the nature of the transgression.

Not having a working knowledge of Spanish, I have no idea what may or may not be said in those comments, which leaves me a little hinky about the whole deal, in the event that threats are bing made, cyberstalking, etc.

I'm not at the point yet of adopting an "English Only" policy, but it's getting there... I really feel I should be erring on the side of caution...

-Dan

I have no major problem with them posting in their native languages on the 'commentaries section'....although, I will admit that I do not read the comments section on a regular basis, like I used to, because of the massive influx of Spanish commentaries.....

With that being said....

I totally see Delbert's point. As for the ones, much like I used to feel, that this is a worldwide site, etc........then what would happen if the rest of the world started leaving comments, etc....including on the message boards, in their native languages? You would have a clusterfuck......that is what you'd have....then you guys would be bitching up a storm, I would guarantee it.....

Also....the site is in English, so then....is it that the 'spanish speaking' folks only come here to post and read in the comments sections and cannot read the VAST MAJORITY of the rest of the site?? Because we sure as hell don't have any of them in our message board community. So that leads me to the point that if the site is in ENGLISH, then just make that the language of choice if you want to participate in the site. End of story......if they want to actually contribute to the site...

I mean, seriously, people......do you guys go and frequent the Norwegian sites....or the Mexican sites...or the Russian sites dedicated to this music??!!

I read that area of HH more than I contribute to the message board, and I agree with Delbert, I find it frustrating because it seems the majority of what is said isn't in English these days so I can't understand it, even with the translation thing.

Simple fact is, Spanish, is quite possibly the second (or maybe first, but I am thinking English takes that crown) most spoken language in the world, so it makes a lot of sense to cater to that demographic over most other languages.

I always wondered why there was even a Spanish option in the comments area on a site that is English-speaking based - I never thought of that, so I guess that's why :P

Hmmm.... Since many of the complaints seem to be regarding consecutive comments on the same CD from the same party, do you think it would help if I doubled the character limit per message from 500 to 1000 characters?

-Dan

I'd personally be for that idea. It's only happened a couple of times, but every now and then you just wish you had those few extra words to use. I think it'd be a cool idea. Even if it's normally more than enough. :)

-Dan

I'd personally be for that idea. It's only happened a couple of times, but every now and then you just wish you had those few extra words to use. I think it'd be a cool idea. Even if it's normally more than enough. :)

Backed, I feel the same.