Australian Tours

JC_AOR

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Heres one that may interest people.. in the more modern/alternative/screamo/heavy stuff... this has gotta be one of the biggest band lineups ive seen for a while down here, including and not limited to:

NIN

Anberlin

In this moment

Alice in chains

Lamb of God

Red jumpsuit apparatus

In flames

Funeral for a friend

Devil driver

New found glory

Silverstein

Lacuna coil

and a bunch i either havnt heard of, or care couldnt care less about

http://www.soundwavefestival.com/artists/?...=3&PageID=3

Wow, a lot of shit there but some excellent bands. I might have to check it out to see what kind of prices are going for this. My two faves in the list - FFAF and Silverstein I have already seen... I'd like to see Anberlin and RJA... and even In This Moment. Imagine paying money for the rest though...

Hey Justin, you going to this Soundwave thing?

There are so many shitty bands, to the point that there is a good chance I will actually go home before ANY of the headlining acts - seriously. But on the other hand, I cannot pass up on the opportunity to see these guys again:

Funeral for a Friend

Silverstein

And how often are we in Australia going to get the opportunity to see:

Finch

Madina Lake

Houston Calls

Forever the Sickest Kids

Plus, I've never seen Anberlin so I really want to see them, as well as Red Jumpsuit Apparatis.

There's a dozen other bands I would happily see in that line-up, but the headliners are atrocious. I will not see 'Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains or Bloodhound Gang.

The other thing I was going to try was to see the bands separately if they has separate shows, but wouldn't you know it. I was in heaven seeing that Silverstein, Anberlin, Finch and Chiodos (?) play on the 25th together... but on the same night Forever the Sickest Kids play with Red Jumpsuit Apparatis. :(

I think the only option is to go see them all.

Anyway, that was super boring. Thinking out loud. You going?

Heres one that may interest people.. in the more modern/alternative/screamo/heavy stuff... this has gotta be one of the biggest band lineups ive seen for a while down here, including and not limited to:

NIN

Anberlin

In this moment

Alice in chains

Lamb of God

Red jumpsuit apparatus

In flames

Funeral for a friend

Devil driver

New found glory

Silverstein

Lacuna coil

Wow, a lot of shit there but some excellent bands. I might have to check it out to see what kind of prices are going for this. My two faves in the list - FFAF and Silverstein I have already seen... I'd like to see Anberlin and RJA... and even In This Moment. Imagine paying money for the rest though...

There are so many shitty bands, to the point that there is a good chance I will actually go home before ANY of the headlining acts - seriously. But on the other hand, I cannot pass up on the opportunity to see these guys again:

Funeral for a Friend

Silverstein

Finch

Madina Lake

Houston Calls

Forever the Sickest Kids

Plus, I've never seen Anberlin so I really want to see them, as well as Red Jumpsuit Apparatis.

There's a dozen other bands I would happily see in that line-up, but the headliners are atrocious. I will not see 'Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains or Bloodhound Gang.

The other thing I was going to try was to see the bands separately if they has separate shows, but wouldn't you know it. I was in heaven seeing that Silverstein, Anberlin, Finch and Chiodos (?) play on the 25th together... but on the same night Forever the Sickest Kids play with Red Jumpsuit Apparatis. :(

I dunno...there's quite afew bands there I wouldn't mind seeing and in particular Finch would be awesome as well as Forever The Sickest Kids and Funeral For A Friend. Anberlin would be cool too.

But to pay $135+ to put up with those crowds...I think I'd rather try and catch 1 or 2 of their other Brisbane shows. Problem is a lot of these bands are not doing extra shows in Brisbane. I'm really not much of fan of festivals anymore...I've been to most of them at least once and that was enough.

I think if I can con a mate into going with me I'll be in. Otherwise probably not.

Your right about those headliners...I'll take off well before they come on.

NIN

Anberlin

In this moment

Alice in chains

Lamb of God

Red jumpsuit apparatus

In flames

Funeral for a friend

Devil driver

New found glory

Silverstein

Lacuna coil

Funeral for a Friend

Silverstein

Finch

Madina Lake

Houston Calls

Forever the Sickest Kids

I dunno...there's quite afew bands there I wouldn't mind seeing and in particular Finch would be awesome as well as Forever The Sickest Kids and Funeral For A Friend. Anberlin would be cool too.

But to pay $135+ to put up with those crowds...I think I'd rather try and catch 1 or 2 of their other Brisbane shows. Problem is a lot of these bands are not doing extra shows in Brisbane. I'm really not much of fan of festivals anymore...I've been to most of them at least once and that was enough.

I think if I can con a mate into going with me I'll be in. Otherwise probably not.

Your right about those headliners...I'll take off well before they come on.

I believe Funeral for a Friend are doing separate shows with Underoath and a couple of other screamo bands. They're on a separate night to the Anberlin/Silverstein/Finch show in Sydney. But if you're as unlucky as Sydney-siders the Anberlin show will probably be on the same night as Forever the Sickest Kids one. And I REALLY want to see those guys.

If I remember correctly, there's only a one day turnaround between the Brisbane and Sydney shows so you might not get anything up there, unless they come early that week. I think you guys are Saturday the 21st and we're Sunday the 22nd. So the bands have a week off in Sydney before the next weekend's show in Adelaide, I think it is. Or Victoria? Either way, that's why we probably get a few mid-week shows... but yeah, too many bands to avoid overlapping, I guess. :(

I wonder if Finch will play heaps off the debut?

I've never been to a festival. How does the sound compare to seeing it in a closed venue? I also have nightmares about the crowds.

Baby Animals hitting the road again.

I think i may go and have a bit of a look. I think tix are $26 which is pretty good i thought.

Apr 5 2009 8:00P

The Governor Hindmarsh Adelaide, South Australia

Apr 7 2009 8:00P

Prince of Wales Melbourne, Victoria

Apr 8 2009 8:00P

Prince of Wales Melbourne, Victoria

Apr 9 2009 8:00P

Doncaster Shoppingtown Hotel Melbourne, Victoria

Apr 11 2009 8:00P

Chelsea Heights Hotel Melbourne, Victoria

Apr 12 2009 8:00P

Hallam Hotel Melbourne, Victoria

Apr 15 2009 8:00P

Waves Wollongong, New South Wales

Apr 17 2009 8:00P

Revesby Workers Revesby, New South Wales

Apr 18 2009 8:00P

Doyalson RSL Doyalson, New South Wales

Apr 19 2009 8:00P

Rooty Hill RSL Rooty Hill, New South Wales

Apr 21 2009 8:00P

The Metro Sydney, New South Wales

Apr 23 2009 8:00P

Caloundra RSL Caloundra, Queensland

Apr 24 2009 8:00P

Mansfield Tavern Brisbane, Queensland

Apr 25 2009 8:00P

Coolangatta Hotel Coolangatta, Queensland

lol, Baby Animals. I have a mate who will probably try to make me go to this one. I might give in. I don't want to, but if he's desperate for company on the night I'll probably tag along.

• 4 months later...

So is anyone going to see ACDC in Australia? Tickets are on sale this morning. I'm keen. $149 for reserve standing, $99 for cheap seats.

Here's a question - suppose this was ACDC's last tour of Australia, would this make you go and do you think that Sydney or Melbourne would be the more sentimental show given the band was formed in Sydney but has such a strong history in Melbourne.

So is anyone going to see ACDC in Australia? Tickets are on sale this morning. I'm keen. $149 for reserve standing, $99 for cheap seats.

Here's a question - suppose this was ACDC's last tour of Australia, would this make you go and do you think that Sydney or Melbourne would be the more sentimental show given the band was formed in Sydney but has such a strong history in Melbourne.

Would be a great show to see, but don;t think I'll get there.

the last 3 tours have been labelled by the media as 'possibly the last time to see them live'.

aren't there some links with Adelaide in the very, very early days. Or maybe I'm getting mixed up with Chisel.

Well I got my ACDC tix - going to the Sydney show, standing area. Yay!

Man you must have been quick. I saw they sold out in something like 4 minutes or something.

Man you must have been quick. I saw they sold out in something like 4 minutes or something.

I got my tix yesterday!!

Im goin to the first show in Sydney!

Yeah by the time I got on the net to buy them (12 hours after they went on sale), the only show I could get 2 standing tix for was the final Sydney show. Brisbane only had a few single seats left so I would've had to go alone and sit by myself. I'm happy to travel to sydney for it. Might just take the week off work and have a bit of holiday down there.

• 1 month later...

ACDC tickets go on sale next Tuesday in NZ. $160 for my favourite band and I can't afford it :( no credit on the credit card plus, even if I could afford it, I don't want to go on my own so I'd have to pay for someone's ticket .. so yeah too expensive for me

Be interesting to see how fast they go

• 2 weeks later...

There's so many awesome gigs going ahead in Australia over the next few months...

1927.jpg

As far as I can see these 1927 gigs are only for Queensland so far. Will be great to see these guys as a band rather than a Weideman solo gig. And two of the gigs are free as well - I'm in! Also of interest, Warner Music has announced they are re-mastering ..ish for re-release at some point. Hopefully we will see some bonus stuff on this but I'm not holding my breath. This also means people can stop paying stupid prices for it on E-Bay.

Twin Towns (Coolangatta/Tweed Heads) - Thursday 6th August - 7PM (FREE GIG)

Koala Tavern (Capalaba, Brisbane) - Friday 7th August - 7PM ($25 pre sale/$30 at the door)

Hotel HX (Underwood, Brisbane) - Saturday 8th August - 7PM ($25 pre sale/$30 at the door)

Wallabe Hotel (Mudgeeraba, Qld.) - Sunday 9th August - 7PM (FREE GIG)

Dragon

28748347-6d85-4e76-baf3-9aeb0c6a1d4c.jpg

I can't be bothered listing them all but Dragon are doing tons of shows around NSW and Qld throughout August and September 2009 in support of their new/upcoming album 'Happy I Am' which by the way sounds like It'll be a great disc. For full details go here. Looks like the shows will be around the $35 mark. Worth it I reckon.

Alice Cooper (USA) (Theatre Of Death Australian Tour 2009)

sfx40201.jpg

I saw Alice play in Brisbane a few years back and it was a very entertaining show but I don't think I'll be paying these sort of prices with everything else that's going on.

WIN Entertainment Centre (Wollongong, NSW) - Tuesday 18th August - 8PM - Tix via Ticketek ($99.90-$129.90)

Newcastle Entertainment Centre - Friday 21st August - 8PM - Tix via Ticketek ($99.90-$129.90)

Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre - Saturday 22nd August - 8PM - Tix via Ticketek ($99.90-$129.90)

Royal Theatre, National Convention Centre (Canberra, ACT) - Wednesday 26th August - 7PM - Tix via Ticketek ($99.90-$129.90)

Queensryche (USA) Extended Suites: Rage For Order/American Soldier/Empire

queensryche.jpg

I still haven't heard 'American Soldier'. I might go along to this seeing as I have the night off work. Depends how much they're asking. I saw them a few years back and remember standing there waiting for them to play 'Lady Wore Black' best song of theirs ever.

Capitol (Perth) - 27th August

Hi Fi Bar (Brisbane) - 29th August

Billboard (Melbourne) - 30th August

Metro Theatre (Sydney) - 31st August

Rose Tattoo

sfx40803.jpg

Rose Tattoo are playing various dates around Australia from mid August to early October. I've never seen them live before. Full details here.

Kreator & Mortal Sin (Germany)

424px-Kreatortour.jpg

From memory I think these guys played here in Oz not too long ago. I'm not a huge fan but they'd definately be cool to see live.

Billboard (Melbourne) - Wednesday 23rd September

Metro Theatre (Sydney) - Thursday 24th September

Hi Fi Bar (Brisbane) - Friday 25th September

HQ (Adelaide) - Saturday 26th September

Metro Freo (Perth) Tuesday 29th September

Deathstars (Sweden)

sfx43551.jpg

I'm not real sure who these guys are but this is part of the promotional description "This deathly beautiful band have had their sound described as atmospheric and melodic containing elements of Rammstein, a sense of composition worthy of some of the best of Cradle of Filth, with a clear and present vibe of sex, guts and horror. Live reviewers have done nothing but rave about Deathstars who are renowned for pouting, flirting, sweating and stripping their way through a disgustingly excellent sleaze filled set."

Manning Bar (University Of Sydney) - Thursday 24th September - 7PM - Tix via Ticketek ($57.50)

Club 299 (Brisabane) - Friday 25th September - 8PM - Tix via Ticketek ($38.60/$58.60)

Capitol (WA) - Sunday 27 September - 8PM - Tix via Ticketek ($58.60)

Jimmy Barnes

jimmybarnes2.jpg

Empire Theatre (Toowoomba, Qld.) - Wednesday 2nd September - 7:30PM - Tix via Box Office ($55)

Brolga Theatre (Maryborough, Qld.) - Thursday 3rd September - 7:30PM - Tix via Box Office ($55)

The Avondale Homestead Tavern (North Bundaberg, Qld.) - Saturday 5th September - 7:30PM - Tix via OzTix ($55)

The Tivoli Theatre (Brisbane) - Sunday 6th September - 7:30PM - Tix via Ticketek ($55)

Jon Stevens

jonstevens2.jpg

Kallangur Tavern (Brisbane) - Saturday 5th September - 7:30PM - Tix from the venue ($30)

Blessed By A Broken Heart (Canada) (Thunder Downunder Tour 2009)

BBABH.jpg

Supprted by Mourning Tide (Qld) and Shadows Chasing Ghosts (UK). These guys should be good to see. Plenty of shows to choose from and it looks like tix will be around $20 - no excuses there!

Sydney Showground - 19th September

The Gaelic Club (Sydney) - 20th September

Next Nightclub (Melbourne) - 24 September

The Castle (Melbourne) - 25th September

The Underground (Adelaide) - 26th September

Club 299 (Brisbane) - 1st October

Nightlife (Gold Coast) - 2nd October

Princess Theatre (Brisbane) - 3rd October

Blackbox (Sunshine Coast) - 4th October

Kisschasy

572058_thumbnail_280_Kisschasy_Kisschasy_Bones.jpg

I enjoyed their debut album and I re-call enjoying seeing them live in Melbourne a few years back. Kisschasy are playing various dates around Australia in September and October. A pretty cool band I reckon. Full details are here.

Slayer & Megadeth (USA)

slayer.jpg

Slayer and Megadeth are playing various dates around Australia in early October. Not for me at all. Details here.

Skid Row (USA)

sfx44063.jpg

'Thickskin' was one of my favourite albums of the past decade. It has 4 totally awesome songs and the rest ain't bad either. I'm really looking forward to this gig.

Palace Theatre (Melbourne) - Thursday 8th October - 7:30PM - Tix on sale via Ticketek Friday 7th August 9AM ($79.90)

Tivoli Theatre (Brisbane) - Friday 9th October - 7:30PM - Tix on sale via Ticketek Friday 7th August 9AM ($79.90)

Enmore Theatre (NSW) - Saturday 10th October - 7:45PM - Tix on sale via Ticketek Friday 7th August 9AM ($79.90)

Candy Harlots

CANDYHARLOTS_FWW.JPG

So far this is just a one off re-union gig though I wouldn't be suprised if they do some more shows. Tix are on sale now and very cheap too! I've got mine already.

Gaelic Theatre (Surry Hills, Sydney) - Saturday 31st October - 8PM - Tix on sale now via Moshtix ($29.10 incl. booking fee)

Arch Enemy (Sweden)

632298_thumbnail_280_Arch_Enemy_Arch_Enemy_Australian_Tour.v1.jpg

Arch Enemy play a bunch of dates around Australia in early November. Another band I've seen live already. I wouldn't buy an album but they're good entertainment value to see live. Supported by Suffocation (US) and Winds of Plague (US) - that's two reasons why I'm not going. Details here.

Budgie (UK)

sfx43558.jpg

This is their 2nd tour of Australia in recent times, I heard their last shows here were very successful and well received. A bit of old school hard rock. I might check them out.

The Charles Hotel (Perth) - Wednesday 11th November

Fly By Night Musicians Club (Fremantle, WA) - Thursday 12 November

The Governor Hindmarsh Hotel (Adelaide) - Saturday 14th November

Corner Hotel (Richmond, Melbourne) - Wednesday 18th November

Metro Theatre (NSW) - Friday 20th November

Waves Towradgi Beach Hotel (Wollongong, NSW) - Saturday 21st November

Panthers Cardiff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday 26th November

The Hi-Fi Bar (Brisbane) - Friday 27th November

Coolangatta Hotel (Gold Coast) - Saturday 28th November

Pretty Boy Floyd (USA) (20th Anniversary Tour Of Leather Boyz With Electric Toys)

PBF1.JPG

I found this announcement a real suprise. I really didn't think they were big enough to make a trip all they way to Australia. I own and love their debut album, though haven't really heard anything else. I'll be making the effort to see these guys as well.

Gaelic Theater (Sydney) - 26th November

The Step Inn (Brisbane) - 27th November

The Hi-Fi Club (Melbourne) - 28th November

Nickelback (USA)

sfx43257.jpg

Nickelback are a band that I really can't decide on. They definately have some talent and some kick ass songs but for some reason they annoy me. I saw them back in 2001 and whilst they put on a good live show I think I'll be giving this one a miss. Nickelback are playing various dates around Australia from mid-late November. Full details here.

Lamb Of God/Devildriver/Shadows Fall (USA)

sfx43893.jpg

Lamb Of God are playing various dates around Australia, from December 11-18. Details here.

Keith Urban

keith_urban400_o.jpg

Keith is playing dates around Australia in December. Seriously more people have gotta give his music a shot, he has some seriously kick ass songs. Country AOR even!

Rod Laver Areana (Melbourne) - Saturday 12th December

WIN Entertainment Centre (Woolongong, NSW) - Monday 14th December

Sydney Entertainment Centre - Wednesday 16th December

Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Friday 18th December

Rock Out Festival \'09

sfx38016.jpg

This was the 2 day festival featuring Twisted Sister and Girlschool that has been postponed til Sept/Oct '09. No new dates have been listed yet.

Edguy (Germany)

screamfest.jpg

Edguy return to Australia to play at the 2009/2010 New Years Eve "Screamfest" gig at the Enmore Theatre (Sydney). Unfortunately they haven't listed any other dates which is very disappointing as they are an amazing live band. Other bands possibly worth seeing are Black Majesty and Sonata Arctica but appart from this it seems like an extreme metal fest.

ACDC (Black Ice World Tour)

34033a.gif

ACDC return to Australia in early February 2010, most dates have sold out. Supported by Wolfmother

anyone heard if Edguy are doing other gigs??

btw, saw 1927 in about 2002 as a band. totally awful. no backing vocals. Eric the only one on guitars, and not a particularly good guitarist at that. sounded like U2 gone techno. and yes it was the band, not Eric gone solo.

btw, saw 1927 in about 2002 as a band. totally awful. no backing vocals. Eric the only one on guitars, and not a particularly good guitarist at that. sounded like U2 gone techno. and yes it was the band, not Eric gone solo.

btw, dont hold your breath for any new 1927 stuff.... they said at that gig "the new album will be out soon".....

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no. it hasnt.

anyone know what Electric Mary are like? theyre supporting Alice Cooper and doing some cheap individual shows...Irwin Thomas is in it.

Go to your local Jb or cd store and buy their cd, it will be best purchase you will have done all year.

Thanks for the sweet summary, Justin.

I will definitely be at Candy Harlots (Only $30! F*ck Yeah!!!) and Pretty Boy Floyd. As for Skid Row, it definitely looks like I'm booked in for my father-in-law's 60th on that night. :( Very disappointing.

Oh, and who is Irwin Thomas and Doggy, who would you compare Electric Mary to?