James Rivera Out of Vicious Rumors

Fat Freddy

On one hand, this kinda sucks, as Vicious Rumors are an excellent band and the one CD James recorded with them, WARBALL, totally smokes... on the other hand, at least now James will be able to do Helstar full time again!!! :)

Singer JAMES RIVERA Says End-Of-Tour Altercation Led To His Exit From VICIOUS RUMORS - Nov. 13, 2007

Veteran heavy metal vocalist James Rivera (HELSTAR, SEVEN WITCHES, FLOTSAM AND JETSAM) has confirmed his departure from VICIOUS RUMORS, the long-running San Francisco Bay Area metal band he joined in September 2005.

In a statement released to BLABBERMOUTH.NET earlier today, Rivera said about his decision to leave the group, "A public announcement should have been made sooner, but I tried keeping my business to myself. Unfortunately, it isn't working and the more people are finding out the truth of what happened, the more they say you should let the world know what kind of [people Geoff Thorpe (VR guitarist) and Larry Howe (VR drummer)] are!

"It just sickens me to see that Geoff and Larry are going about everything like nothing has happened, just as they always do, living in complete denial!!!! Thaen [Rasmussen; ANVIL CHORUS, BLACK SUN], the other guitar player, and I are GONE and VR is over forever!!!

"Sadly our tour of Europe ended VERY drastically — it ended with Geoff hitting me with a beer bottle on my forehead on the last night of the tour, after he got knocked into place. He provoked a physical confrontation with me, I defended myself and he couldn't handle the defeat like a man, so when I was not looking and my guard was down explaining to the tour manager what had just happened, that is when he grabbed a beer bottle, struck me with it and said 'There you go bitch!! How about that!!!' Geoff is supposed to be handicapped, or a person of special needs. However, handicapped people don't start physical fights, nor do they walk all over Europe in KISS boots in a drunken stupor!!

"The blow to my forehead from the bottle he hit me with had gotten so bad, AFM Records, the new record label HELSTAR is signed to, insisted on taking me to the hospital because the swelling of my forehead and face in general had gotten worse and both of my eyes had turned completely purple from internal bleeding.

"After the tour, I had to go to Hamburg, Germany, for an additional week to do press interviews for HELSTAR at AFM Records' office, for those wondering where AFM came into this whole thing. Now I'm home and doing better and ready to move on.

"So my days with VR are over and just think, I was going to get them a record deal with AFM as well.

"Family, friends, myself and the rest of the HELSTAR guys are just devastated over this. I did so much for those guys [VICIOUS RUMORS] when they were here and finally got to tour Texas again after 20 years. Not to mention the Atarfe Rock festival in Spain, the tour with BEYOND FEAR, and all the U.S. dates I got them outside of the Bay Area. There were so many things I brought to the table for them. I have gotten e-mails from just about all the promoters and even the president of the record company we were previously signed to, Mascot Records (which dropped VR), wanting to know if I am okay.

"Now you know the truth before you hear any lies from their end, which is what they are good at."

Rivera appears on VICIOUS RUMORS' latest album, "Warball", which came out in the U.S. in October 2006.

AFM Records has set a November 23 release date for HELSTAR's "Sins of the Past", a "best-of" album featuring re-recordings of the band's classics along with two brand new tracks. The first edition of "Sins of the Past" will come in a special CD layout. A limited picture vinyl version will also be available.

An all-new album of original HELSTAR material is tentatively due next summer.

Wow, not a fan of the band (aside from 'Welcome to the ball', especially 'When love comes down') and don't really know who any of those guys are, to be honest, but what a story. I feel sorry for the guy and I don't even know them! :)

The above is actually an edited version. The original is even more damning. From a list I'm on:

Here's a post to the VR forums by a close associate of James who has also been a fan of VR and does some sort of online interview thing. It sure sounds like a mess..

"Well, I have been a fan of the band for a very, very long time and we did an interview with Geoff and Larry for our show when they were in Houston. Not to mention I cooked them a fine meal and hooked them up with what weed I had before they left town... that being said, I am dismayed and upset at what I am hearing from multiple sources. Sucks that I won't see VR again with this lineup, as James and Thaen were easily the best thing to happen to them since 1994.

I have been a personal friend of James' for quite some time, and when I heard what had happened, I was needless to say shocked...

Anyhow, he sent me the unedited original posting that Blabbermouth edited (they always do that), and here it is.

SHIP OF FOOLS!!! is about right!!!! How Ironic!!!!

A public announcement should have been made sooner, but I tried keeping my business to myself. Unfortunately, it isn't working and the more people are finding out the truth of what happened, the more they say you should let the world know what kind of losers they are! It just sickens me to see that Geoff and Larry are going about everything like nothing has happened, just as they always do, living in complete denial!!!! Thaen, the other guitar player, and I are GONE and VR is over forever!!! They have been blackballed by just about every label, booking agency, bus company, promoters across Europe and just about every vehicle you need to survive in this game!!!!

Sadly our tour of Europe ended VERY drastically!!!! All I can say is Geoff and Larry are two of the most stupid, immature, pot heads, living in the past, wannabe rock stars!!!! Larry has always been a selfish, inconsiderate, bigot asshole, BUT Geoff really disappointed me. By the end of the tour, 16 out of 18 people in total on our tour bus (which includes the bus driver) hated them!!! Bruce from Agent Steel was going to kick their ass in Vienna, but of course they are the biggest pussies in the world! They talk a lot of shit but will never back it up. Geoff and Larry treated AS like shit on the tour with their fucked up rock star attitude. One incident, which I'm sure fueled the hatred that Bruce developed, was AS being thrown off the stage after just 20 minutes of their show because of going on a little late. It was in Athens, Greece which was a sold out show for BOTH bands. The band and promoter came up to me since the crowd was very angry for such a short AS set and asked what could be worked out to fix this. The idea came up of letting AS play another set after VR was done and I was in complete agreement that this would actually work even better and maybe we could have some fun and jam a song together. However Geoff totally shot down that idea and said "No way are they going on after us!!! This is VR time and VR show time!!! WHATEVER!!!!!

Besides never paying anyone what they are supposed to be paid and when they are supposed to be paid, I can go on about numerous things, but who really has all the time and cares to hear so much? I will say at least this - it ended with Geoff hitting me with a beer bottle on my forehead on the last night of the tour, after he got knocked into place. He provoked a physical confrontation with me, I defended myself and he couldn't handle the defeat like a man, so when I was not looking and my guard was down explaining to the tour manager what had just happened, that is when he grabbed a beer bottle, struck me with it and said "There you go bitch!! How about that!!!" Pure chicken shit pussy that he is!!! Geoff is supposed to be handicapped, or a person of special needs. However, handicapped people dont start physical fights, nor do they walk all over Europe in Kiss boots in a drunken stupor!!

The blow to my forehead from the bottle he hit me with had gotten so bad, AFM Records, the new record label Helstar is signed to, insisted on taking me to the hospital because the swelling of my forehead and face in general had gotten worse and both of my eyes had turned completely purple from internal bleeding.

After the tour, I had to go to Hamburg, Germany, for an additional week to do press interviews for Helstar at AFM Records' office, for those wondering where AFM came into this whole thing. Now I'm home and doing better and ready to move on. So my days with VR are over and just think, I was going to get them a record deal with AFM as well.

Family, friends, myself and the rest of the Helstar guys are just devastated over this. I did so much for those guys when they were here and finally got to tour Texas again after 20 years. Not to mention The Atarfe Rock festival in Spain, the tour with Beyond Fear, and all the US dates I got them outside of the bay area. There were so many things I brought to the table for them. I have gotten e-mails from just about all the promoters and even the president of the record company we were previously signed to, Mascot Records (which dropped VR), wanting to know if I am okay.

Now you know the truth before you hear any lies from their end, which is what they are good at. They are referred to now as "The Kings of Bridge Burners!" With all this shit hitting the fan for them, plus the law suit that Ira Black and Brian O'Connor have slapped on Geoff for lying and stealing material from them, which he used on Warball that I was unaware of, you can bet IT IS OVER FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!! Good riddance and as Bruce from Agent Steel worded it, which couldn't have been said any better, "the world will be no poorer for it!!!"

Post by Agent Steel singer Bruce Hall who was on tour with VR......

Well...I was there though I was sent off to bed before the bottle bullshit. Geoff Thorpe is a very self important arrogant little man, not to mention deceptive, conniving, petty, greedy and delusional. Larry Howe ain't far behind Geoff in the delusional, petty, arrogant and self important departments though I think he is a little too stupid to be deceptive and conniving. That isn't to say Geoff is smart. He isn't. The guy couldn't spell one of the words I used to describe him. Both of those dickheads are very lucky to have walked away from me without broken bones. Thaen and James deserve far better treatment than they were given not to mention the poor treatment given to our friends and associates After All. Steven, VR's bass player, really needs to flee this sunken ship as their treatment of him actually eclipses their shitty treatment of everybody else. I would expect no return of Vicious Rumors and the world will be no poorer for it. They've been dropped by Mascot, lost the potential deal they had with AFM because of their unbelievably poor treatment of their meal ticket James Rivera, and have, and will have, no booking agency in the world due their avarice, stupidity, and inability to grasp reality. When you look up irrelevant in the dictionary there should be a picture of a shirtless fat Larry Howe and a denial-addled balding Geoff Thorpe shopping for sunglasses with someone else's money whilst leering at 13 year old girls. Fuck those cunts."

The above is actually an edited version. The original is even more damning. From a list I'm on:

Here's a post to the VR forums by a close associate of James who has also been a fan of VR and does some sort of online interview thing. It sure sounds like a mess..

"Well, I have been a fan of the band for a very, very long time and we did an interview with Geoff and Larry for our show when they were in Houston. Not to mention I cooked them a fine meal and hooked them up with what weed I had before they left town... that being said, I am dismayed and upset at what I am hearing from multiple sources. Sucks that I won't see VR again with this lineup, as James and Thaen were easily the best thing to happen to them since 1994.

I have been a personal friend of James' for quite some time, and when I heard what had happened, I was needless to say shocked...

Anyhow, he sent me the unedited original posting that Blabbermouth edited (they always do that), and here it is.

SHIP OF FOOLS!!! is about right!!!! How Ironic!!!!

A public announcement should have been made sooner, but I tried keeping my business to myself. Unfortunately, it isn't working and the more people are finding out the truth of what happened, the more they say you should let the world know what kind of losers they are! It just sickens me to see that Geoff and Larry are going about everything like nothing has happened, just as they always do, living in complete denial!!!! Thaen, the other guitar player, and I are GONE and VR is over forever!!! They have been blackballed by just about every label, booking agency, bus company, promoters across Europe and just about every vehicle you need to survive in this game!!!!

Sadly our tour of Europe ended VERY drastically!!!! All I can say is Geoff and Larry are two of the most stupid, immature, pot heads, living in the past, wannabe rock stars!!!! Larry has always been a selfish, inconsiderate, bigot asshole, BUT Geoff really disappointed me. By the end of the tour, 16 out of 18 people in total on our tour bus (which includes the bus driver) hated them!!! Bruce from Agent Steel was going to kick their ass in Vienna, but of course they are the biggest pussies in the world! They talk a lot of shit but will never back it up. Geoff and Larry treated AS like shit on the tour with their fucked up rock star attitude. One incident, which I'm sure fueled the hatred that Bruce developed, was AS being thrown off the stage after just 20 minutes of their show because of going on a little late. It was in Athens, Greece which was a sold out show for BOTH bands. The band and promoter came up to me since the crowd was very angry for such a short AS set and asked what could be worked out to fix this. The idea came up of letting AS play another set after VR was done and I was in complete agreement that this would actually work even better and maybe we could have some fun and jam a song together. However Geoff totally shot down that idea and said "No way are they going on after us!!! This is VR time and VR show time!!! WHATEVER!!!!!

Besides never paying anyone what they are supposed to be paid and when they are supposed to be paid, I can go on about numerous things, but who really has all the time and cares to hear so much? I will say at least this - it ended with Geoff hitting me with a beer bottle on my forehead on the last night of the tour, after he got knocked into place. He provoked a physical confrontation with me, I defended myself and he couldn't handle the defeat like a man, so when I was not looking and my guard was down explaining to the tour manager what had just happened, that is when he grabbed a beer bottle, struck me with it and said "There you go bitch!! How about that!!!" Pure chicken shit pussy that he is!!! Geoff is supposed to be handicapped, or a person of special needs. However, handicapped people dont start physical fights, nor do they walk all over Europe in Kiss boots in a drunken stupor!!

The blow to my forehead from the bottle he hit me with had gotten so bad, AFM Records, the new record label Helstar is signed to, insisted on taking me to the hospital because the swelling of my forehead and face in general had gotten worse and both of my eyes had turned completely purple from internal bleeding.

After the tour, I had to go to Hamburg, Germany, for an additional week to do press interviews for Helstar at AFM Records' office, for those wondering where AFM came into this whole thing. Now I'm home and doing better and ready to move on. So my days with VR are over and just think, I was going to get them a record deal with AFM as well.

Family, friends, myself and the rest of the Helstar guys are just devastated over this. I did so much for those guys when they were here and finally got to tour Texas again after 20 years. Not to mention The Atarfe Rock festival in Spain, the tour with Beyond Fear, and all the US dates I got them outside of the bay area. There were so many things I brought to the table for them. I have gotten e-mails from just about all the promoters and even the president of the record company we were previously signed to, Mascot Records (which dropped VR), wanting to know if I am okay.

Now you know the truth before you hear any lies from their end, which is what they are good at. They are referred to now as "The Kings of Bridge Burners!" With all this shit hitting the fan for them, plus the law suit that Ira Black and Brian O'Connor have slapped on Geoff for lying and stealing material from them, which he used on Warball that I was unaware of, you can bet IT IS OVER FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!! Good riddance and as Bruce from Agent Steel worded it, which couldn't have been said any better, "the world will be no poorer for it!!!"

Post by Agent Steel singer Bruce Hall who was on tour with VR......

Well...I was there though I was sent off to bed before the bottle bullshit. Geoff Thorpe is a very self important arrogant little man, not to mention deceptive, conniving, petty, greedy and delusional. Larry Howe ain't far behind Geoff in the delusional, petty, arrogant and self important departments though I think he is a little too stupid to be deceptive and conniving. That isn't to say Geoff is smart. He isn't. The guy couldn't spell one of the words I used to describe him. Both of those dickheads are very lucky to have walked away from me without broken bones. Thaen and James deserve far better treatment than they were given not to mention the poor treatment given to our friends and associates After All. Steven, VR's bass player, really needs to flee this sunken ship as their treatment of him actually eclipses their shitty treatment of everybody else. I would expect no return of Vicious Rumors and the world will be no poorer for it. They've been dropped by Mascot, lost the potential deal they had with AFM because of their unbelievably poor treatment of their meal ticket James Rivera, and have, and will have, no booking agency in the world due their avarice, stupidity, and inability to grasp reality. When you look up irrelevant in the dictionary there should be a picture of a shirtless fat Larry Howe and a denial-addled balding Geoff Thorpe shopping for sunglasses with someone else's money whilst leering at 13 year old girls. Fuck those cunts."

Wow just wow. Man they sound like assholes.

Daaaaaaaaamn!! I have heard in the past that Geoff Thorpe was a bit of an egomaniac, but that is amazing.

I guess that guy from Agent Steel is not a member of the Geoff Thorpe/Larry Howe fan club either, eh?

I'd still be interested in hearing GT's side of this story, though... I've been keeping an eye on Blabbermouth hoping they'll post a response from him sooner or later. That should make for some interesting reading!

What happened to him in Seven Witches? That was a good album.

Other than Helstar, James has a history of never staying with a band longer than two albums (he did two with Seven Witches - YEAR OF THE WITCH and PASSAGE TO THE OTHER SIDE)... so I guess now that I think about it, maybe it's not such a surprise that he didn't stick with V.R. for very long :rofl2:

The Vicious Rumors camp has released this rather generic statement regarding JR's departure from the band... awwww, this is no fun! I wanted to see a full scale mud slinging war of words!! <_<

VICIOUS RUMORS: We Are Not Splitting Up - Nov. 15, 2007

San Francisco Bay Area metallers VICIOUS RUMORS have issued the following update:

"VICIOUS RUMORS would like to thank all the fans and friends who supported the band over the last year on the 'World War Tour'. We had a great time with everyone at all the shows in the USA, Europe and Japan. As the 'Warball' tour ends the band is now in pre-production for a new studio CD to be released next year.

"Even though the band has gone through many changes over the years, VR has maintained a solid force in U.S. power metal over the last 25 years. VR has already written several new songs for the new CD to follow up 'Warball'.

"Due to artistic differences, singer James Rivera is no longer in VR. James was let go after the European tour in September 2007. Recently James Rivera has issued a statement saying VR was broken up after his departure with a list of other personal problems. We understand that HELSTAR is his true love and passion and wish them all the best.

"VR moves forward to next year with a new CD and a new lineup. After 25 years, 12 CDs and countless tours in no way has VICIOUS RUMORS split up. You can't kill rock n roll.

"Look for VR on tour with a new CD in 2008."

The Vicious Rumors camp has released this rather generic statement regarding JR's departure from the band... awwww, this is no fun! I wanted to see a full scale mud slinging war of words!! <_<

VICIOUS RUMORS: We Are Not Splitting Up - Nov. 15, 2007

San Francisco Bay Area metallers VICIOUS RUMORS have issued the following update:

"VICIOUS RUMORS would like to thank all the fans and friends who supported the band over the last year on the 'World War Tour'. We had a great time with everyone at all the shows in the USA, Europe and Japan. As the 'Warball' tour ends the band is now in pre-production for a new studio CD to be released next year.

"Even though the band has gone through many changes over the years, VR has maintained a solid force in U.S. power metal over the last 25 years. VR has already written several new songs for the new CD to follow up 'Warball'.

"Due to artistic differences, singer James Rivera is no longer in VR. James was let go after the European tour in September 2007. Recently James Rivera has issued a statement saying VR was broken up after his departure with a list of other personal problems. We understand that HELSTAR is his true love and passion and wish them all the best.

"VR moves forward to next year with a new CD and a new lineup. After 25 years, 12 CDs and countless tours in no way has VICIOUS RUMORS split up. You can't kill rock n roll.

"Look for VR on tour with a new CD in 2008."

After this they'll have a tough time finding someone known to take that job.

They're better off trying to find someone unknown IMO.

• 2 months later...

Vicious Rumors have announced their new lead singer is... Ronnie Stixx! Um... who? :blink:

Here's the straight poop from VR's web site. On an editorial note, this "Press Release" reads like it was written by a twelve year old.

Vicious Rumors New Blood And The Ball Keeps Rolling

Vicious Rumors is proud to announce Ronnie Stixx as our new lead singer. The Ball keeps rolling with a new CD and tour dates to follow . Ronnie showed up and blew the band away with his powerful voice. The first night he sang with us it was like he was in the band for years.It was amazing Geoff said.

ronnie.jpg

Ronnie was born in Los Angels and raised in San Antonio Texas.He has made a name for himself in the metal world with a vocal style that is melodic and aggressive. Ronnie's main influence's are such great vocalist as Carl Albert (VR) Tony Harnell (TNT) and Ronnie James Dio. Ronnie is no stranger to the big stage performing at major festivals through out Europe and the USA .He has fronted such bands as England's Shadow Keep and Americas Divine Ruin.The VR Machine is back!!! A new CD and new Blood. Major world wide touring is in the works.The first show is March 29 at the Britannia Arms in Cupertino Ca.

All I can say is good luck, pal... if James Rivera's experience with VR is any indication, you're gonna need it...

• 4 weeks later...

Still more changes in the V.R. camp... new guitarist is now in the fold...

VICIOUS RUMORS Announces New Guitarist - Mar. 9, 2008

Veteran San Francisco Bay Area metallers VICIOUS RUMORS have announced the addition of guitarist Kiyoshi Morgan to the group's ranks.

KiyoEpiphoneSmaller.jpg

According to a press release "Kiyo is a longtime San Francisco Bay Area pro, playing lead guitar in several tribute bands, covering the styles of SLAYER, JUDAS PRIEST, IRON MAIDEN and ALICE IN CHAINS. With the support of Gibson guitars and Sfarzo strings, Kiyo has found an identity in VICIOUS RUMORS as an old-school rock and metal guitarist with powerful anthem riffs and blistering-yet-musical leads!"

Comented guitarist Geoff Thorpe: "Kiyo just fit in and sounded great!! Our guitar styles blend really well... and this guy can shred!! Our new lineup is as strong as ever. I can't wait to unleash the new VR beast."

VICIOUS RUMORS recently enlisted singer Ronnie Stixx (SHADOWKEEP, DIVINE RUINS). "Ronnie showed up and blew the band away with his powerful voice," stated guitarist Geoff Thorpe. "The first night he sang with us it was like he was in the band for years. It was amazing."

Ronnie was born in Los Angeles and raised in San Antonio, Texas. He has made a name for himself in the metal world with a vocal style that is melodic and aggressive. Ronnie's main influences are such great vocalist as Carl Albert (VICIOUS RUMORS), Tony Harnell (TNT) and Ronnie James Dio.

Ronnie is no stranger to the big stage, having performed at major festivals throughout Europe and the USA.

VICIOUS RUMORS new lineup is as follows:

Geoff Thorpe: guitar/vocals

Larry Howe: drums/vocals

Stephen Goodwin: bass/vocals

Ronnie Stixx: lead vocals

Kiyoshi Morgan: guitar

Upcoming VICIOUS RUMORS shows:

March 22 - The Kennel Club - Sacramento, CA (headline)

March 29 - The Independent - San Francisco, CA (with TESTAMENT) (VR on at 9 p.m.)

March 29 - Britannia Arms in Cupertino, Ca

March 30 - The Independent in SF, Ca (with TESTAMENT)

VICIOUS RUMORS is currently writing material for a new album that will be recorded later in the year at Trident studios in Pacheco, California with the production team of Geoff Thorpe and Juan Urteaga. Songtitles set to appear on the CD include "Murderball", "From Fear to Eternity" and "Over the Edge".

...Our new lineup is as strong as ever...

I think I've heard this a few times before...

:rofl2: Ain't that the truth.

• 1 year later...

Anyone heard anything about VR recently? One of my top ten bands of all time, they've released 4 or 5 great albums. Shame to read about the behaviour of the main band members, and I hope Helstar goes from strength to strength, but the music still rocks.

Anyone heard anything about VR recently? One of my top ten bands of all time, they've released 4 or 5 great albums. Shame to read about the behaviour of the main band members, and I hope Helstar goes from strength to strength, but the music still rocks.

I read something on Blabbermouth about 6 months ago.

I think there was mention of working on a new album with their new singer but I can't remember who the guy is.

I think there was mention of working on a new album with their new singer but I can't remember who the guy is.

New Guy's name is Ronnie Stixx. See Post #11 in this very thread. :lol:

...although they announced him almost two years ago so who the hell knows, he might be out of the band already. Glaciers move quicker than Vicious Rumors nowadays....

• 2 weeks later...

I think VR died when the great Carl Albert sadly passed away. They have not come up to the standards of the Digital dictator, S/T and WElcome to the ball albums lately and these are some of the best american power metal albums ever made. R.I.P Carl Albert

I think VR died when the great Carl Albert sadly passed away. They have not come up to the standards of the Digital dictator, S/T and WElcome to the ball albums lately and these are some of the best american power metal albums ever made. R.I.P Carl Albert

Those three albums are absolute classics, Soldiers of the Night was very good too. I don't really think of VR as Power Metal, as they don't have silly singalong choruses, for me they are more of a straight up HM band. I hope the newer stuff is okay too, I just asked for Warball for my birthday and the samples from that album I've heard are very good.

:headbanger:

Those three albums are absolute classics, Soldiers of the Night was very good too. I don't really think of VR as Power Metal, as they don't have silly singalong choruses, for me they are more of a straight up HM band. I hope the newer stuff is okay too, I just asked for Warball for my birthday and the samples from that album I've heard are very good.

'Warball' is very good. :headbanger:

'Warball' is very good. :headbanger:

I agree, I think Warball is excellent.

WARBALL freakin smokes. J. Rivera was a more than worthy successor to the Mighty Carl Albert IMO.