Ever bought your own record? I did!

Thomas/Coastline

I ended up with not one single Coastline Jap CD in my collection, so I had to bid on one at ebay and won. It's just that I got it with the wrong obi and the CD was a sample. My bad luck continues! :rofl2:

I ended up with not one single Coastline Jap CD in my collection, so I had to bid on one at ebay and won. It's just that I got it with the wrong obi and the CD was a sample. My bad luck continues! :rofl2:

Actually, my friend, Japanese CD's with SAMPLE around the hub of the disc are far more rare and valuable than the standard issue.

Thomas...don't feel bad about that. I don't know how many times I've had band members bid in my auctions for CDs they performed on. I've received a large number of e mails from many of them telling me how they never got copies for themselves for one reason or another. I actually sold a copy of 'Midnight' to Bobby Kovacs and a 45 single from the band Hot City to Jerry Hemby because they didn't even have copies themselves.......

Well this past auction David Gibson bougt his own 1988 self titled cd from me. The funniest part is he lives on Lawrence Ave in Toronto and I bought the cd at a used pawn shop on the corner of Bathurst St. and LAWRENCE AVE.

I remember CD shopping in London a few years back and went past a market stall in Soho that sold cd's. I quickly flicked through what was on offer and lo and behold I spied my old bands CD up for grabs. I asked him where he got it from and he said he had been to a gig we did at the Mean Fiddler and bought 4 of copies, one for himself and the others to sell on his stall. He had already sold 2, so that was quite cool, but the fucker was flogging them for £10 a pop when we sold them for 6, the bastard. I think Nick also saw a copy of it over at Music Stack and someone was asking about £40 quid for a copy if I remember. It ain't there now, so presumably someone bought it!!!

• 2023 Gold Donors

I just found the Japanese version of this cd (w/OBI). It only has 11 tracks though. The listing on the main site shows 12.

I am not in a band but once a couple of years ago I sold a compilation cd to Jay Schellen. It had a Hurricane song on it. I asked him by email if he was a drummer since I reconized his name and he told me he was the drummer for Hurricane. He was collecting comp. discs that had Hurricane songs on them. I thought it was cool. BTW I recently sold one to a Michael Bolton in Vegas. Name is to common to beleive it might have been the singer though.

I recently sold one to a Michael Bolton in Vegas. Name is to common to beleive it might have been the singer though.

It could've been the Michael Bolton from "Office Space" too :lol:

Back on topic: I was chatting with X-Sinner guitarist Greg Bishop via e-mail a couple of years ago (I had just reviewed their LOUD & PROUD disc for Detritus 'zine) and I had asked him what the odds were that X-Sinner's first two albums might get reissued sometime soon. He told me that the odds were not good, though he really wished they could be reissued because Rex Scott (X-Sinner singer) had recently lost his only copy of the PEACE TREATY album when he moved, and the only way he could find a replacement for it was by paying somebody $35 for one on eBay!! :blink: So I guess even the musicians feel the same pain as we collectors sometimes!!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, my friend, Japanese CD's with SAMPLE around the hub of the disc are far more rare and valuable than the standard issue.

Are they really? Cuz I have a Japanese copy of Raven's GLOW album (1994), which I bought from John Gallagher (Raven bassist) at their merch stall the first time I saw them live in 1995. I only noticed recently that it says SAMPLE around the inner ring. Not that I'd ever give it up, because I had John sign it for me as soon as I bought it!!

• 2 weeks later...

I once sold my copy of Tattoo- Blood Red to Tommy Salzburg who said he was the drummer for the band. He also said he never got a copy of the CD for himself. Amazing how many band members never got copies for themselves.

• 9 months later...

I have been selling online for a number of years and have sold CDs or albums "back" to artists/groups and their families many times, most of them unsigned, regional or small label bands. Most popular are compilations, festival samplers and promos. It's always a fun surprise!

I have also had the honor of selling music/memoribilia to band/crew members of LEGS DIAMOND, ANNIHILATOR, DIVINE RUINS, HAWKWIND and BUDGIE :)