Spread Eagle-S/T

martinsane

So I'm out working in the yard this weekend and I have a vintage cassette playing walkman and a box o' tapes. In this box I find a homemade tape with Spread Eagles S/T on one side and Salty Dogs debut on the other... I rewind the SE side inside and commence to mowing with the SE blaring and I'm singing along, cause noone can here me over the mower and low and behold, but Switchblade Serenade is quite different from this version to the version I have on cd. My taped version was made from a buddies tape many moons ago.

So what gives? Obviosly this cd was released twice? I can't check my buddies disc cause he was/is one of those put all your discs in a binder and toss the cases. AACCKK!!!

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Terry

So I'm out working in the yard this weekend and I have a vintage cassette playing walkman and a box o' tapes. In this box I find a homemade tape with Spread Eagles S/T on one side and Salty Dogs debut on the other... I rewind the SE side inside and commence to mowing with the SE blaring and I'm singing along, cause noone can here me over the mower and low and behold, but Switchblade Serenade is quite different from this version to the version I have on cd. My taped version was made from a buddies tape many moons ago.

So what gives? Obviosly this cd was released twice? I can't check my buddies disc cause he was/is one of those put all your discs in a binder and toss the cases. AACCKK!!!

Thanks,

Terry

man, I love spread eagle, I'd be interested in finding out more on this too!!!

Thanks,

Terry

man, I love spread eagle, I'd be interested in finding out more on this too!!!

So I just finished listening to the cassette copy of the S/T and transferring it to cd and by god it is different, not a huge difference, but to most of us here we would notice. Production is , imho, a little looser, rawer... Many leads are quite different. Biggest difference is in Switchblade, followed by Dead of Winter, Scratch, Eyes and Spread Eagle, but like I said all the tracks are tweeked a bit...

Yep, I remember that too. I loved the version I first heard, and the one I eventually purchased on CD was not quite as good from what I remember. mainly noticeable in the way the intro played out I think...

Yep, I remember that too. I loved the version I first heard, and the one I eventually purchased on CD was not quite as good from what I remember. mainly noticeable in the way the intro played out I think...

And the guitar work at the chorus.

Still would love some more information on this, anyone?

So the other question is, which version has been remastered?

Excellent point CH. And how do you tell the different versions apart???

If someone could uplaod the remastered I could upload the other 2 versions so's we can compare...Unfortnately I only have the artwork for what I will call version 2.

Yeah I had thought that too. Honestly, Switchblade is prob one of my fav tracks by the gang and had often wondered here and there about this same question. I have the Jap and domestic version, I believe that the Jap version is possibly different/a tad better in my opinion. Like u all said, it's most notable on Switchblade, great great track.

• 3 months later...
Guest badlandspete

ok if you watch teh video for switchblade you will notice that this too is different from the cassette version. could the video and cd have the same "different" mix? perhaps??? somebody let us know quick! lol

Guest glenno10
ok if you watch teh video for switchblade you will notice that this too is different from the cassette version. could the video and cd have the same "different" mix? perhaps??? somebody let us know quick! lol

The video for Switchblade Serenade that I have on vhs

has a different version than on the cd. I don't think it is just a remix either.

The video for Switchblade Serenade that I have on vhs

has a different version than on the cd. I don't think it is just a remix either.

No I don't believe it is. The video "mix" of SBS is the same as the, let's say, 2nd version I have of the CD. Which has different, albiet, slight at times, versions of the entire album.

Which brings us back to my original post. What is the meaning behind the 2 different releases and no neither of the releases I have are re-issues. Both are from 1990...

• 2 years later...

So I went to pick up the Lovember Records reissue of this and both Amazon and CD Baby show it as out of stock. Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Is Lovemeber done making copies of this album? Anyone know where I can get a copy? :unsure:

So I went to pick up the Lovember Records reissue of this and both Amazon and CD Baby show it as out of stock. Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Is Lovemeber done making copies of this album? Anyone know where I can get a copy? :unsure:

I've got a spare original that I'm happy to part with for nothing. Let me know.

And I say again, one of the reasons I love being a member of this forum!

Also, I have no answers and can only reiterate what Pete said a long time ago. I too had the cassette and once I finally bought the original cd I instantly knew it was different. Of course I prefer the cassette version.

Dude that's awesome, I appreciate the offer, but I already have the original. I was reading that the remastering on the reissue was fantastic so I was looking to pick it up. I'm surprised it's out of print so soon after being reissued

Ahh ok. I didn't even know there was a re-issue. It's a pretty cool album this one. At least 5 or 6 songs that I really love, especially 'Switchblade Serenade' and 'Thru These Eyes'.

• 5 months later...

I'm probably alone here but in case anyone else is interested CD Baby has the Spread Eagle (remastered) cd back in stock for $12.95 - here is the link:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/spreadeagle

This is what bassist Rob De Luca had to say about the remastering job:

"They did remaster it and it sounds alot better. I never really had a sore spot about how the original sounded. We really didn't care about remastering it, but they did and it sounds a whole lot better. Sometimes you don't really realize something is lacking until you realize it. It is so much more powerful with the new remaster. It is much more clearer. The mix has evened out a little bit. The guitars are a tiny bit lower in the remastering. They are still really, really clear and on top of the mix. They brought them into the mix a little more which brings out the drums better. It just sounds really modern."

I just ordered mine, love the original so I'm really looking forward to hearing how the new version sounds. :party421:

If you want to read the entire interview with Rob regarding Spread Eagle you can find it here:

http://rockindude.homestead.com/int47.html

I remember this from back in the day as well. At one time I had two copies of this on cassette and remember both having different mixes. The only difference I recall from back then was that the yellow spine that said "Spread Eagle" was a little different in color tone than the other.

I would love to have both these versions again. Not sure which one I have now on CD.

For those talking about "remaster" that is not the case about the 2 old versions. These were different "cuts" of the album. The songs were not only mastered differently but had different parts and intros for songs.

• 6 years later...

So scrounging about on YOUTUBE and found this SE video for Scratch and one of the versions of the elusive 2 versions we were going on about in this thread. Still would love to know the history on this. Another obvious difference is the pre chorus on this video version where the lyrics are different from the album version below and Ray sings "You don't want to take a fall" and on the version in the posted album he sings " and they got you by the balls"...

and one of the versions of Switchblade too.

And for those that have been playing along this album version is an alt version when compared to the above posted videos and the differences are obvious.