KIDS IN THE WAY "Love Hate Masquerade" cd

hardrockhaven

KIDS IN THE WAY'S new cd is like a throwback to when bigger was better. They've still got a decent hard edge to them, but they went for that total commercial radio friendly hard rock sound with catchy choruses and lots of backing vocals. I was pleasantly surprised when I popped them in my player. I don't even own their first two cds, but this new one will be getting some heavy play time. Two of their new tracks can be found on myspace.

Gotta back up the above comments. This is stellar stuff, one of the best Christian hard rock CDs of the year, quite possibly beaten only by Skillet: "Collide." Just take one listen to "Sugar" and tell me it's not a totally killer melodic hard rock tune. Here's the link to their PureVolume page where you can hear 4 tracks from the new CD:

Kids in the Way

Excellent stuff.

Have to check this out...I've never heard of them.

Their debut album, "Safe From the Losing Fight," was pretty good (and features one of my favorite Christian rock/metal songs, "Scars That Save"), but their sophomore release, "Apparitions of Melody," was a huge change in style, falling into that heavy screamcore-metal territory, and, quite frankly, sucked big time. Wasn't sure what to expect from this new one, but looks like the third time's the charm, because these guys have really delivered a super-catchy melodic hard rock (with some modern touches) album.

• 9 months later...

100% have to agree with Chris and Mark here... it took me a while to find it but this album absolutely blew me away on the weekend. I listened to 'Apparitions of melody' too and have to admit I liked it a lot too. I am yet to hear the debut, but I'm going to give these guys a good workout in my ears over the next few weeks.

All I do know for sure is that as soon as 'Love Hate Masquerade' hit the speakers I was blown away by modern melodic hard rock bliss. Can't wait to hear it some more!!!

100% have to agree with Chris and Mark here... it took me a while to find it but this album absolutely blew me away on the weekend. I listened to 'Apparitions of melody' too and have to admit I liked it a lot too. I am yet to hear the debut, but I'm going to give these guys a good workout in my ears over the next few weeks.

All I do know for sure is that as soon as 'Love Hate Masquerade' hit the speakers I was blown away by modern melodic hard rock bliss. Can't wait to hear it some more!!!

Glad you liked this one Geoff. It gives me a little bit of hope for you yet :P I just spun it again the other day too as a matter of fact. That IS how modern melodic hard rock should sound.

Chris

Yeah, definitely liking it a lot, Chris. My one minor, tiny issue is that the choruses could be a little dare I say catchier, or more melodic? But the verses are flawless and the choruses are huge... it's a good thing they did here.

• 2 weeks later...
100% have to agree with Chris and Mark here...took me awhile to find it but this album absolutely blew me away... I listened to 'Apparitions of Melody' too and have to admit I liked it a lot... I am yet to hear the debut...

All I do know for sure is that as soon as 'Love Hate Masquerade' hit the speakers I was blown away by modern melodic hard rock bliss. Can't wait to hear it some more!

Shhhhhhhh...nobody tell Geoff that this is a Christian band and therefore he is not allowed to like 'em. ;)

Mate, seriously, you liked "Apparitions of Melody"? I thought it blew goat dick, and that's coming from someone who usually likes it when a band steers in a heavier direction. Really like the debut, though. But neither the debut or "Apparitions..." can touch the awesomeness that is "Love Hate Masquerade."

100% have to agree with Chris and Mark here...took me awhile to find it but this album absolutely blew me away... I listened to 'Apparitions of Melody' too and have to admit I liked it a lot... I am yet to hear the debut...

All I do know for sure is that as soon as 'Love Hate Masquerade' hit the speakers I was blown away by modern melodic hard rock bliss. Can't wait to hear it some more!

Shhhhhhhh...nobody tell Geoff that this is a Christian band and therefore he is not allowed to like 'em. ;)

Mate, seriously, you liked "Apparitions of Melody"? I thought it blew goat dick, and that's coming from someone who usually likes it when a band steers in a heavier direction. Really like the debut, though. But neither the debut or "Apparitions..." can touch the awesomeness that is "Love Hate Masquerade."

Yeah, but this is one of "those" bands. Yes, they're a "christian band" but I have heard all 3 albums and can't find one lyric that makes me want to stab someone's eyeball out by referring to Christianity. 'Better times' is amazing off the most recent disc. The whole disc is great.

'Apparitions' is good - very similar to a lot of albums in modern rock, but not bad. The first 2 albums are both okay (not great) but the guy's voice is so fragile on them both. I certainly don't adore either album, but they go okay.

Yeah, but this is one of "those" bands. Yes, they're a "Christian band" but I have heard all 3 albums and can't find one lyric that makes me want to stab someone's eyeball out by referring to Christianity.

Granted, most of Kids in the Way's lyrics fall into that "take 'em any way you want" category, but songs like "Hallelujah" & "Scars That Save" off their debut weren't exactly hiding their faith. I think you just need to come out of the closet and admit you really do like Christian rock/metal. You know what they say when someone protests too much... ;)

Yeah, but this is one of "those" bands. Yes, they're a "Christian band" but I have heard all 3 albums and can't find one lyric that makes me want to stab someone's eyeball out by referring to Christianity.

Granted, most of Kids in the Way's lyrics fall into that "take 'em any way you want" category, but songs like "Hallelujah" & "Scars That Save" off their debut weren't exactly hiding their faith. I think you just need to come out of the closet and admit you really do like Christian rock/metal. You know what they say when someone protests too much... ;)

I am a Homosexual Christian.

I am a Homosexual Christian.

I bet you are that pell guy thats on the new alot.......... hmmm.......... hmmm... hope your are enjoying wyd.. :nyanya:

• 1 month later...

Seriously, really good CD here. The song that just puts my pants pressed up against the opposite wall at the mercy of my erection is 'Better times'. Delightful chorus... but the pre-chorus steals the show. Damn I love this song. It's all good, but this and 'Fiction' are probably my picks.