Why....

SamboraRocks86

considering most of the music that we love was originally released on vinyl......why do you all collect the CDs?

i was just curious, because it seems cds are more of a priorty to vinyl....i havent heard much about vinyl at all.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Vinyl but my record player has been broke for a few years.

Plus Chevy didnt install a record player in my Trailblazer when I bought it. ;)

I did go into a local used cd/record store yesterday for the first time and there were many great second hand LP's that were anywhere from $2-$5. If my record player worked I would of picked a few of them up.

considering most of the music that we love was originally released on vinyl......why do you all collect the CDs?

i was just curious, because it seems cds are more of a priorty to vinyl....i havent heard much about vinyl at all.

I've nothing to play vinyl on... :crying:

Convenience and durability of the CD format compared to vinyl.

CD is the format that has been dominant for most of the time period that this music has been available.

From the early 1990s onward, very little in the genre has been available on vinyl.

Vinyl has been relegated to a niche format that audiophiles use; it no longer has mass market penetration.

-Dan

Um do they still make vinyl? CD's are worth much more as far as value goes on the market, sure some of us still listen to our old records if any of us still have a record player that works.

Some artists/labels still release vinyl believe it or not.

Um do they still make vinyl? CD's are worth much more as far as value goes on the market, sure some of us still listen to our old records if any of us still have a record player that works.

Get the fuck outta here...no shit?

NO shit.

NO shit.

Well God damn, you learn something new everyday.

I love my old vinyl collection but based strictly on terms of portability, storage space and durability, CDs are the way to go :woot:

I still pull my crate of LPs out of the closet once in a blue moon to spin some classic vinyl, but those days are fewer and farther between nowadays... I've replaced most of my vinyl with CD copies anyway...

I love my old vinyl collection but based strictly on terms of portability, storage space and durability, CDs are the way to go :woot:

I still pull my crate of LPs out of the closet once in a blue moon to spin some classic vinyl, but those days are fewer and farther between nowadays... I've replaced most of my vinyl with CD copies anyway...

:agree: What he said...

I've bought a few LPs but they're hard to store and to be honest, I never liked the sound they produced. Always seemed crackly and void of balls, for my money. Maybe I never had a great record player, but I never really had a good experience with an LP. While I'm here, anyone got any idea what a fully signed copy of Black N'Blue's 'In heat' would be worth? That's something else I'd love to do, sell my LPs.

While I'm here, anyone got any idea what a fully signed copy of Black N'Blue's 'In heat' would be worth?

Does 'fully signed' mean youve written your full name on it?

I'd guess a fair bit, vinyl still goes well on eBay. I sold a silver-disc of Bryan Adams "Everything I do..." single for $160. F**k knows why I bought that.

Metal & Thrash vinyl especially still goes well on eBay. So does the old 60's/70's stuff.

Ditto most people. I have loads of vinyl but nothing to Play it on anymore, plus with the amount I have, space is a major problem. Over the years, have tried to update most of my vinyl collection onto CD, pretty successfully, althogh there are still loads of records that I would still like to have on CD versions.

Have to disagree wIth Geoff a little on the sound you used to get on some vinyl as, in some instances, it was way superior to the compressed, lifeless sound of some of their CD versions released later. Compare some early to mid period cd's to their vinyl counterparts and see the difference.

My son sees my crate of LPs at the bottom of the closet every once in a while and goes "What are those, Daddy?" When I say "records," he sez "What are records?" and I say "They were the Stone Age equivalent of CDs." :lol:

While I'm here, anyone got any idea what a fully signed copy of Black N'Blue's 'In heat' would be worth?

Does 'fully signed' mean youve written your full name on it?

I'd guess a fair bit, vinyl still goes well on eBay. I sold a silver-disc of Bryan Adams "Everything I do..." single for $160. F**k knows why I bought that.

Metal & Thrash vinyl especially still goes well on eBay. So does the old 60's/70's stuff.

:lol: Yes, fully signed by me, mate. Haha.

Holy shitballs @ the Bryan Adams sell. I might try and list the Black n'Blue LP when I can and see how it goes. I wonder what postage for an LP is worth...

I wonder what postage for an LP is worth...

Yeah that's what's put me off selling my vinyl. I guess you'd have to insure the parcel. Also the UK post recently changed (Jez might be able to tell us more here!) so it's more about the size rather than the weight. Making it tons more costly to post records.

Frankly I think even CD's will become obsolete too, in 3 or 4 generations time. Lots of bands are now download only, & future generations will all be on the internet, so I can't see Retail music stores surviving. I don't know how they do now?

Either way, it will be the sparrows that decide the future.

Ditto most people. I have loads of vinyl but nothing to Play it on anymore, plus with the amount I have, space is a major problem. Over the years, have tried to update most of my vinyl collection onto CD, pretty successfully, althogh there are still loads of records that I would still like to have on CD versions.

Have to disagree wIth Geoff a little on the sound you used to get on some vinyl as, in some instances, it was way superior to the compressed, lifeless sound of some of their CD versions released later. Compare some early to mid period cd's to their vinyl counterparts and see the difference.

Could not agree more, I have hundreds of vinyl albums in mint condition and will never part with them......may be one day, they will be sought after collectors items.....some probably are now.

I wonder what postage for an LP is worth...

Yeah that's what's put me off selling my vinyl. I guess you'd have to insure the parcel. Also the UK post recently changed (Jez might be able to tell us more here!) so it's more about the size rather than the weight. Making it tons more costly to post records.

Frankly I think even CD's will become obsolete too, in 3 or 4 generations time. Lots of bands are now download only, & future generations will all be on the internet, so I can't see Retail music stores surviving. I don't know how they do now?

Either way, it will be the sparrows that decide the future.

Truth.

Yeah, I have to admit I have been getting raped with postage costs on these recent CDs I've sold. I don't know what the f*ck happened since last time I put stuff up on ebay, but I've lost a bit with every postage cost so far... and the USD/AUD exchange rate doesn't help things either. Great to buy stuff, not so great to sell stuff. :(

I agree CDs will be gone, sadly maybe even sooner than 3 or 4 generations. Most music sites for current music are all about downloads completely. :(

Yeah, I think we're all the same here, and hopefully a lot of people still are. I have to download a lot these days, because I really cannot afford to buy them... but I keep my lists and am slowly buying all the best when I get the chance. I still love my original CDs. :)