Ratings System Completely Overhauled!

Long overdue, but I'm hoping we finally can have a worthwhile and nonskewed rating system on the main site.

I've completely rewritten the system:

1. Rating system is from 1-100.
  2. The rating for a CD is tied to your userID on the main site.
  3. Rerating the same CD over and over and over just changes your existing rating. No matter how many times you try to resubmit your rating, it only counts once.
  4. I felt that the ability to change a rating was important, as our opinions change over time, both for the positive and the negative.
  5. Clicking on the "See All Ratings" button next to the rating average will pop up a window showing all of the ratings for that CD.
  6. Clicking on a user's name in the ratings list will show you all of the CDs that the user has rated on Heavy Harmonies and how they rated them (so you can get a feel for what each user likes and dislikes).

Please let me know if you run into any problems with the system.

Over the course of time you will see some slight tweaks and changes to the main site layout, and there are additional features planned, but right now is the busy season at my day job, so development will progress slowly.

Suggestions are always welcome.

Enjoy!

-Dan

Guest andym2691
Long overdue, but I'm hoping we finally can have a worthwhile and nonskewed rating system on the main site.

I've completely rewritten the system:

1. Rating system is from 1-100.
  2. The rating for a CD is tied to your userID on the main site.
  3. Rerating the same CD over and over and over just changes your existing rating. No matter how many times you try to resubmit your rating, it only counts once.
  4. I felt that the ability to change a rating was important, as our opinions change over time, both for the positive and the negative.
  5. Clicking on the "See All Ratings" button next to the rating average will pop up a window showing all of the ratings for that CD.
  6. Clicking on a user's name in the ratings list will show you all of the CDs that the user has rated on Heavy Harmonies and how they rated them (so you can get a feel for what each user likes and dislikes).

Please let me know if you run into any problems with the system.

Over the course of time you will see some slight tweaks and changes to the main site layout, and there are additional features planned, but right now is the busy season at my day job, so development will progress slowly.

Suggestions are always welcome.

Enjoy!

-Dan

You are doing a great job and you and the visitors to your site who have infotmative opinions of the various cds have introduced this old rocker to a bunch of 'new' artists that I would not have given a second glance to in a store but......... the one thing that pisses me off is that when you look at the 'newst additions' most of them have no comments about the cd e.g. Aerial View - as someone out there has deemed them good enough to be on this site, why not make it compulsory to write a few (informative) words as to why? Then I may add to my 3000+ cds at a faster rate!

Well, being "good" isn't a prerequisite to being included at HH. The goal is to ultimately become as complete as possible, whether the CDs be good or plain stinkers (and there are plenty of stinkers already here). Also, often the person doing the submitting has a vested interest in the sucess of the CD, i.e., the band themselves submit it, or a label rep. Lastly, many CDs are submitted based on information scoured from the internet or other sources, with the submittor never having actually heard the CD.

Over the course of time it is hoped that there are enough comments and ratings added to give you a "feel" for what the disc is like, in order for you to make a judgment for yourself. There simply isn't enough information at the time of submission.

-Dan

......the one thing that pisses me off is that when you look at the 'newst additions' most of them have no comments about the CD.

Um, if that's all it takes to piss you off, might I suggest you tread very cautiously on these boards or else you might just totally blow a gasket... :blink:

the one thing that pisses me off is that when you look at the 'newst additions' most of them have no comments about the cd e.g. Aerial View - as someone out there has deemed them good enough to be on this site, why not make it compulsory to write a few (informative) words as to why? Then I may add to my 3000+ cds at a faster rate!

While it doesn't piss me off, I had given that some thought as well. I came to the conclusion that some people don't feel comfortable reviewing albums and may submit new albums with the hopes others will comment once it's added to the site. It sometimes takes a while but for the most part an album will get at least a few comments.

I've submitted numerous CDs to the site and in many cases I end up being their sole commenter as well!! It makes me feel very, very alone. :(

Are the ratings for brutalmetal and heaven's metal also going to be redone?

At some point, although I don't know how soon. I want to make sure that the system is working and stable at HH before I implement it at the other sites...

-Dan

I've submitted numerous CDs to the site and in many cases I end up being their sole commenter as well!! It makes me feel very, very alone. :(

THAT doesn't surprise me at all, my friend !!! :rofl2: