Give it another spin....

Prong - PROVE YOU WRONG

I owned this disc back when it was a current release but had traded it off sometime in the years since. I recently reviewed their newest album, POWER OF THE DAMAGER, for Detritus 'zine and that got me jonesin' to hear some of their older material again so I re-acquired it. Anyway...Prong were, and still are, a weird band. It's very tough to pin down into one particular genre; simply calling them a "thrash" band doesn't do them justice, as there are also elements of industrial, groove-metal (Am I the only one who thinks that Pantera ripped much of their COWBOYS FROM HELL era vibe from these guys?), and even NYC's lower-east side art-rock. Whatever you wanna call Prong, they can make one helluva racket. The tough, staccato riffing and otherworldly bass lines that power the bulk of this record make me want to start up an old school circle pit and kick some asses. My fave tracks are "Unconditional" (the bass line in this one is irresistible!), the title track, and "Get A Grip (On Yourself)."

It also bears mentioning that PROVE YOU WRONG totally smokes their new album.

Backed...I still love this..as well as "Cleansing"..And I totally agree on the Pantera Vibe...

They (Pantera)did 'borrow' a certain sound /vibe from them

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backed...I still love this..as well as "Cleansing"..And I totally agree on the Pantera Vibe...

So I'm not the only one who's noticed! :tumbsup:

If memory serves, Darrell is wearing a Prong BEG TO DIFFER T-shirt in the video for "Cemetary Gates"... so obviously he was a fan...

So I'm not the only one who's noticed! :tumbsup:

If memory serves, Darrell is wearing a Prong BEG TO DIFFER T-shirt in the video for "Cemetary Gates"... so obviously he was a fan...

Yeah I think he was...ever notice that both Prong and Pantera had songs used for

the Headbangers Ball Theme...along with SOD

Monster Magnet-Powertrip

It's been a while since I've played this one but I still love it. From the great radio hit song "Space Lord" to other great rocking songs like "Powertrip", "Crop Circle", "Temple of your Dreams" and "Bummer". They slow it down for the awesome "See you in Hell" which sounds like it's straight out of a 'B' movie from the 60's and has some great guitar playing on it. Highly recommended to all of those that like their rock music rocking.

Monster Magnet-Powertrip

It's been a while since I've played this one but I still love it. From the great radio hit song "Space Lord" to other great rocking songs like "Powertrip", "Crop Circle", "Temple of your Dreams" and "Bummer". They slow it down for the awesome "See you in Hell" which sounds like it's straight out of a 'B' movie from the 60's and has some great guitar playing on it. Highly recommended to all of those that like their rock music rocking.

This is one I hated when it was released that I now Love..Wes said it perfectly..If you like you

rock music rocking...this is it!!Backed!! :beerbang:

• 1 month later...

Redrum-No Turning Back

I've played this a few times before and I think my original opinion of it was that Mr. Bormann seemed to be going through the motions on this one. I'll admit after playing it today that's it's much better now. I still don't think it's his best work but much better than I originally thought. I will say that the first nine tracks are all pretty good, not great, but pretty good. If he didn't have such a legacy with Jaded Heart then this would probably be viewed in a better light.

• 3 weeks later...

Tower City - A Little Bit Of Fire

I'd given it a listen a year or so back, wasn't too impressed, and had put it away. I picked it up on a whim yesterday, and put it on again, and boy, was i blown away!! I wonder how i thought it to be average back then...it's a great album in the Def Leppard/Danger Danger/Bon Jovi vein. I wonder how i could have missed gems like "Closer To The Heart", "Stop Running", Little Bit Of Fire", "When It All Falls Down" and the awesome ballad "Surrender"!! Is that a great song or what!! Elsewhere also, there's some great hard rock on display. I gave it 3 spins yesterday, and each time it sounded better. The only tracks that are yet to make a mark on me are "I'll Sleep Tonight" & "Ain't Nobody To Love". A great album which i wrongly dismissed on first listen. The vocals are excellent and the harmonies strongly remind me of Leppard & Danger Danger.

I'd given it a listen a year or so back, wasn't too impressed, and had put it away. I picked it up on a whim yesterday, and put it on again, and boy, was i blown away!! I wonder how i thought it to be average back then...it's a great album in the Def Leppard/Danger Danger/Bon Jovi vein. I wonder how i could have missed gems like "Closer To The Heart", "Stop Running", Little Bit Of Fire", "When It All Falls Down" and the awesome ballad "Surrender"!! Is that a great song or what!! Elsewhere also, there's some great hard rock on display. I gave it 3 spins yesterday, and each time it sounded better. The only tracks that are yet to make a mark on me are "I'll Sleep Tonight" & "Ain't Nobody To Love". A great album which i wrongly dismissed on first listen. The vocals are excellent and the harmonies strongly remind me of Leppard & Danger Danger.

This CD is absolutely brilliant. I remember getting this CD with a bunch of others days before I went on a two week holiday with the family. I think I spun this one almost every day of that holiday. Love it.

This CD is absolutely brilliant. I remember getting this CD with a bunch of others days before I went on a two week holiday with the family. I think I spun this one almost every day of that holiday. Love it.

Yeah it was pretty immediate for me too. They had a much weaker second album too I seem to remember....

Toto - The Seventh One

Had this when it first came out but could never get into it!

Probably only last year I gave it another go and I now rate it immensely :headbanger:

Probably go as far as saying it`s a classic Toto release.

Toto - The Seventh One

Probably only last year I gave it another go and I now rate it immensely :headbanger:

Absolutely a Toto classic - :drink:

Toto - The Seventh One

Absolutely a Toto classic - :drink:

Yep. Their best IMHO.

Yeah it was pretty immediate for me too. They had a much weaker second album too I seem to remember....

It was a lot weaker... some absolutely dreadul mixes in production quality... but still some stunning songs.

I'll be fair - & maybe eat some humble pie - & say these are a bit better than my First Spin comments implied:-

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE - Scream Aim Fire

This band are still about half the band they are live (where they RULE), but this does have a few decent tunes on it. I still see this as Metal made by people wearing suits & sitting in a big office rather than actual Metal that's loud/heavy/aggressive, but they really nail it on the killer title-track. In fact the first 4 tracks are all very good. "Waking the Demon" could be early Metallica if it had a heavier guitar tone. Whereas they destroy any momentum they build with too many ballads, & there are some blatant fillers, it's a decent listen & has 4 great tunes at least....

IN FLAMES - A Sense of Purpose

I played this once, decided it wasn't as good as "Come Clarity" (let alone all their other albums) & then haven't played it since. Actually, whereas this is definitely a much more commercial/accessible album than anything they ever did previous, it has some good tunes on it. The guitar is still nice & crunchy, the production is HUGE, & I even kinda like the ballad: "The Chosen Pessimist". If you like your Metal on the catchy/accessible side then you'll like this....

A Thorn For Every Heart - 'Things aren't so beautiful now' ; These guys were on my list of about 200 bands when I started getting into modern rock properly around 2005... discovering there were a hell of a lot more bands than I'd previously known. These guys got lumped in with the good but not great category and although I enjoyed their CDs I kind of cast them aside. I finally got around to buying this one and as I spun it again I was very impressed. Fans of heavier modern rock, with a bit of screaming here and there, should enjoy this. A few meatier riffs than I recalled and there are some really cool songs on it. I like it.

Redrum-No Turning Back

I've played this a few times before and I think my original opinion of it was that Mr. Bormann seemed to be going through the motions on this one. I'll admit after playing it today that's it's much better now. I still don't think it's his best work but much better than I originally thought. I will say that the first nine tracks are all pretty good, not great, but pretty good. If he didn't have such a legacy with Jaded Heart then this would probably be viewed in a better light.

You know, I spun this last week at work. Not a bad little disc at all. Good times. Check it out.

Atlantic - Power

I gave this another spin earlier tonight and it finally hit me this is a damn fine disc and worth the coin I spent on it. A very consistant disc through out. My first spin nothing really stood out except Dangerous Games now the whole thing stands out.

Finch - 'What it is to burn' ; I've always known this was a great CD, but just listening to it again reminds me just how good it is. These guys were probably the first really great heavy modern rock band to incorporate screaming and do it so well. One of the early classic modern rock albums, from 2002. If there are any fans out there, did you know they band has reformed and are touring and planning a new album, having recorded a new song? I'm not sure if we're to expect the sensational 'What it is to burn' style, or the shitty 'Say hello to sunshine' style. Either way, this album is classic modern heavy rock.

Finch - 'What it is to burn' ; I've always known this was a great CD, but just listening to it again reminds me just how good it is. These guys were probably the first really great heavy modern rock band to incorporate screaming and do it so well. One of the early classic modern rock albums, from 2002. If there are any fans out there, did you know they band has reformed and are touring and planning a new album, having recorded a new song? I'm not sure if we're to expect the sensational 'What it is to burn' style, or the shitty 'Say hello to sunshine' style. Either way, this album is classic modern heavy rock.

I heard a lot of hype about this band but when I bought an album it sucked.... I don't think it was this album, is it worth picking up?

I heard a lot of hype about this band but when I bought an album it sucked.... I don't think it was this album, is it worth picking up?

I would bet my nutsack that you bought 'Say hello to sunshine' (as you can buy it anywhere for about $2 because everyone hates it and wants to be rid of it), but this album is one of the most panned albums out there. I think everyone in the world was just murdered by how shit it was compared to the killer debut. I'm pretty sure you'd love their debut, 'What it is to burn'. As a man of your tastes, I'd call it essential. It won't live up to the hype (because there is a lot) but you will be impressed nonetheless. The drums will kick your ass. :)

I would bet my nutsack that you bought 'Say hello to sunshine' (as you can buy it anywhere for about $2 because everyone hates it and wants to be rid of it), but this album is one of the most panned albums out there. I think everyone in the world was just murdered by how shit it was compared to the killer debut. I'm pretty sure you'd love their debut, 'What it is to burn'. As a man of your tastes, I'd call it essential. It won't live up to the hype (because there is a lot) but you will be impressed nonetheless. The drums will kick your ass. :)

I'm all over it mate. :drink:

LAMB OF GOD - As The Palaces Burn

This was the first LoG CD I picked up & because of it I very nearly missed out on the 2 best Metal albums of the 21st Century ("Ashes of the Wake" & "Sacrament") because I wrote them off as Pantera-clones. Actually, despite the less-than-mighty production this is still a very technical slab of Metal with some very good tunes. Of course it's nothing like the incredible follow-up albums, but it's still better than the best albums of some bands I could mention.... They remain the best live band you have ever & will ever see, & "Sacrament" remains their one true masterpiece, but this is pretty darn good too.

Backed. Huge. Great album!

I'll be fair - and maybe eat some humble pie - and say these are a bit better than my First Spin comments implied:-

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE - Scream Aim Fire

...this does have a few decent tunes on it. I still see this as Metal made by people wearing suits & sitting in a big office rather than actual Metal that's loud/heavy/aggressive, but they really nail it on the killer title track. In fact, the first 4 tracks are all very good. Whereas they destroy any momentum they build with too many ballads, and there are some blatant fillers, it's a decent listen and has 4 great tunes at least...

IN FLAMES - A Sense of Purpose

...whereas this is definitely a much more commercial/accessible album than anything they ever did previous, it has some good tunes on it. The guitar is still nice & crunchy, the production is HUGE, and I even kinda like the ballad "The Chosen Pessimist". If you like your Metal on the catchy/accessible side then you'll like this...

Careful, Tim, you're in danger of being labeled a sissy metalhead like myself! :shocked: I personally find the new BFMV to be filler-free (though naturally, some songs are better than others). I also love my metal to be catchy, accessible, and well-produced, so I'm loving the new In Flames CD...though I think "The Chosen Pessimist" is a total dud and absolutely murders the album's momentum. But hey, that's what the Skip button is for, right? :D

Okay last week was a great week for redisovering some 80's music that

I knew but never really gave a chance.....so....

First Up..

Huey Lewis and The News-Greatest Hits

Damn near every song on this had radio play durning the 80's, and

most of that was BIG hits for this band. I always new the band were good

but I must say this is a GREAT CD to have...Tons of fun stuff here

nothing serious and a great sense of humor...Shoulda given them

more credit back in the day but to live is to Learn!! :drink:

Saga-Worlds Apart. Man a great band that I frankly thought

were pap...Don't know why. Well the joke was on me, Man

I am seriously digging this release and plan on getting more from them.

I'll say it right now, Dream Theater and Queensryche owe some props

to these guys,cause IMO I hear traces of Saga in both bands.

This band is MUCH Heavier than I thought and they have tons of

chops...and they put them to good use into GREAT songs. :drink: