Give it another spin....

Stephen Pearcy- Before and Laughter

I bought this when it came out back in 2000. Listening to it for the first time in at least 5 years and one thing that's for sure is that I had to be High on Crack Cocaine when I bought this piece of shit. What the hell was I thinking? I must of been buying up anything releated to Hair Metal to waste my money on this junk. If I could get more then a $1 for it I'd probably sell it. Then again I could always use the disc for a frisbee or a beer coaster.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Queensryche - EMPIRE

Finally upgraded this one to CD this week, after not listening to it in ages. I remember when it first came out I bought the cassette and was disappointed because it wasn't a continuation of OPERATION MINDCRIME (which, by the way, is still one of the greatest albums ever recorded, not only by Queensryche, but by ANY band, period, end of story). Spinning EMPIRE for the first time in at least seven or eight years today, I can see why I wasn't that crazy about it when I first heard it in 1990, but on the other hand, it's aged a lot better than I remembered. (Well, except for "Della Brown." That song still sucked. But then, it always sucked.) "Silent Lucidity" still brings a tear to my eye, those children singing at the beginning of "Best I Can" still creep me out, and the title track is still one of the best songs Queensryche ever did. QR and I parted ways after this album (I still can't stomach PROMISED LAND or anything that came afterwards, with the exception of MINDCRIME II) but now that I finally have EMPIRE on CD, my classic Queensryche collection is all caught up.

The bonus tracks on this disc (this is the remastered CD from 2003) were a nice touch by the way... I haven't heard "Last Time In Paris" or "Scarborough Fair" in years, and if I'm not mistaken, "Dirty Lil' Secret" was totally new to my ears. Where did this song first appear? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Fight - A SMALL DEADLY SPACE (1995)

I LOVED this band when their debut (WAR OF WORDS, still every inch a classic) came out in '93, so I bought this on the first day of release when it came out in '95. For one reason or another that I can't recall, I eventually traded the disc away, but having a hole in my otherwise-mostly-complete Works Of Rob Halford collection (excepting the Two VOYEURS release) started to bug me so I re-acquired it recently. After a couple of spins I'm wondering if it was such a good idea. Where WAR OF WORDS was a mean, pissed off, all out NASTY motherf**ker of an album that showed Rob Halford coming back swinging after his not-very-amicable parting with Judas Priest, A SMALL DEADLY SPACE seems more spacey, laid back, and much less "in your face" then its predecessor. There are some nice chugging guitar riffs here and there but Rob's vocal choices kill this one for me. He sounds like a whiny, mid-90s "modern rock" dude on here instead of the screaming METAL GOD I was hoping for.

In other words, A SMALL DEADLY SPACE defines the term "sophomore slump." A shame, because WAR OF WORDS is one of my favorite albums of the 90s and the band showed a lot of promise back then. I'd still listen to A SMALL DEADLY SPACE over Rob's next project, VOYEURS, any day of course, but in the end it looks like I probably didn't need to bother re-acquiring the disc either way.

Fight - A SMALL DEADLY SPACE (1995)

I LOVED this band when their debut (WAR OF WORDS, still every inch a classic) came out in '93, so I bought this on the first day of release when it came out in '95. For one reason or another that I can't recall, I eventually traded the disc away, but having a hole in my otherwise-mostly-complete Works Of Rob Halford collection (excepting the Two VOYEURS release) started to bug me so I re-acquired it recently. After a couple of spins I'm wondering if it was such a good idea. Where WAR OF WORDS was a mean, pissed off, all out NASTY motherf**ker of an album that showed Rob Halford coming back swinging after his not-very-amicable parting with Judas Priest, A SMALL DEADLY SPACE seems more spacey, laid back, and much less "in your face" then its predecessor. There are some nice chugging guitar riffs here and there but Rob's vocal choices kill this one for me. He sounds like a whiny, mid-90s "modern rock" dude on here instead of the screaming METAL GOD I was hoping for.

In other words, A SMALL DEADLY SPACE defines the term "sophomore slump." A shame, because WAR OF WORDS is one of my favorite albums of the 90s and the band showed a lot of promise back then. I'd still listen to A SMALL DEADLY SPACE over Rob's next project, VOYEURS, any day of course, but in the end it looks like I probably didn't need to bother re-acquiring the disc either way.

I picked this up a few years ago for $5 used and after listening to it one time I kind of wanted my money back. Like you said 'War of Words' is a classic, but to me this hardly sounds like the same band.

• 4 weeks later...

Lost Horizon - AWAKENING THE WORLD (2001)

This is actually the second time I've owned this album. I bought it as a new release back in 2001, thought it was ridiculous, and traded it off. Now I've gotten it again in another trade (the guy I traded with threw in a few of his old cardboard-cover promo copies as free bonuses)... and it's STILL ridiculous. These guys came along with a lot of hype that they were going to be the "next big thing" in power metal (though they broke up after only two discs, so much for THAT huh?) and though the performances here are flawless and the album sounds great overall, it's just so formulaic and by-the-numbers that I can't really get into it. If this album had come out in 1997 (when the big Euro power metal boom was kick started by HammerFall's GLORY TO THE BRAVE) I probably would've been all over it like a fat chick on a cheeseburger, but after hearing literally hundreds of other bands/albums that sound pretty much exactly like this over the past decade, all I can say is that Lost Horizon obviously came to the Power Metal party a little too late to get much love from me.

This is actually the second time I've owned this album. I bought it as a new release back in 2001, thought it was ridiculous, and traded it off. Now I've gotten it again in another trade (the guy I traded with threw in a few of his old cardboard-cover promo copies as free bonuses)... and it's STILL ridiculous. These guys came along with a lot of hype that they were going to be the "next big thing" in power metal (though they broke up after only two discs, so much for THAT huh?) and though the performances here are flawless and the album sounds great overall, it's just so formulaic and by-the-numbers that I can't really get into it. If this album had come out in 1997 (when the big Euro power metal boom was kick started by HammerFall's GLORY TO THE BRAVE) I probably would've been all over it like a fat chick on a cheeseburger, but after hearing literally hundreds of other bands/albums that sound pretty much exactly like this over the past decade, all I can say is that Lost Horizon obviously came to the Power Metal party a little too late to get much love from me.

i was thinking of getting this for the singer alone.. Daniel somebody.... hows his performance...? I love his work with Heed.

Million - 'No.1' ; man it's been years since I spun this. Kind of got lost in the heavier output of their later work, but this is a great "heavy AOR" album. Still ballsy, but the choruses are much more European melodic rock focused. I still remembered 'Time after time' and a few of the tracks, but basically I'd forgotten how good this was. The 2nd last song 'Take it to the limit' is a pretty lame filler, but the rest is great. I like this band.

Fifth Angel - s/t ; Again, couldn't tell you the last time I played this. Being a massive fan of 'Time will tell' I'd spun that about 1000 times and was immediately disappointed when I heard this way back when as it just doesn't compare, but it's a good solid metal album. Reminds me of the progression of Leatherwolf. Nice early metal album which led into a monster melodic heavy rock album. Good stuff, for what it is... and this was recorded in 1984!!! Sounds great for the time.

i was thinking of getting this for the singer alone.. Daniel somebody.... hows his performance...? I love his work with Heed.

The singer for LH has a great voice. Sorta like a combo of Halford, Dickinson, and Midnight (Crimson Glory). It's just a shame that the music sounds so pre-fabricated and sterile.

The singer for LH has a great voice. Sorta like a combo of Halford, Dickinson, and Midnight (Crimson Glory). It's just a shame that the music sounds so pre-fabricated and sterile.

its the lead singer Daniel from Heed isnt it?

Yup, same guy. I forget what name he used in Lost Horizon but it was some ridiculous stage name like "Daniel Bravehearted Oxenkiller" (I exaggerate for comic effect but I'm simply too lazy to get up and grab the CD right now to see what name he went by)... but it is the same dude.

Yup, same guy. I forget what name he used in Lost Horizon but it was some ridiculous stage name like "Daniel Bravehearted Oxenkiller" (I exaggerate for comic effect but I'm simply too lazy to get up and grab the CD right now to see what name he went by)... but it is the same dude.

that sounds right. I love his voice.

if anyone knows any similar bands to Heed, let me know! That album is awesome and has a great unique sound.

Funny Money - 'Back again' ; wow, probably spun this two or three times about six years ago and never since... until now, having just traded with Mike. I've always liked these guys, just never gone crazy about them... but once again have to admit, there are some very cool tunes on this. Great straight forward hard rock. I enjoyed it a lot.

Melodica - 'Lovemetal' ; As noted elsewhere, I spun this recently after a couple of years passed by, and just have to verify - this kicks ass. Musically, a lot heavier than I remembered and arguably the best production job on a Ted Poley release since D2. One misconception I'd had about the CD was that it was full of sappy love songs, but it's not. The lyrics are corny, but not as sappy as I thought... and imo the songs are just great. I especially loved 'What number are you' - aimed at critics, I dare say, of Melodica's debut. But all the songs are great - especially 'I'll never break your heart'... but I already knew that. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Jacobs Dream - DRAMA OF THE AGES (2005)

I really liked Jacobs Dream's S/T debut (from 2000), even though the band was a pretty blatant Queensryche clone (on par with Recon). I liked the second album (THEATER OF WAR, from 2001) a little less because by this time it seemed that vocalist David Taylor's voice was shot to hell. Third album DRAMA OF THE AGES finds Taylor replaced by Chaz Bond, who sounds much better than Taylor (and he's not a Geoff Tate clone either) so the band seems to be finally finding its own sound. Problem? This disc is pretty boring. 12 LONG tracks, none of which really jump out and grab me. As background music it's fine, but after a while I find myself glancing at the CD player and thinking "shouldn't this disc have ended, like, AGES ago?"

Something tells me this one is going up on the trading block soon :blink:

Big Bang Babies - 'Black Market' ; It's been a while between spins with this one, but Lindsay was kind enough to hook me up with an original copy the other day so it was time again. I always forget just how good this disc is. The opener, '8 arms' is a bit ordinary, but after that it's glam/commercial rock bliss. I love 'Hear you say', 'Right by your side', obviously 'Everybody loves a hero' and the beautiful 'Won't be gone for long'... but the rest is great too. Every song is enjoyable. I'm actually still spinning it as we speak... but there's a killer hidden track too, if I recall correctly.

Only annoying thing? + is written by Keri Kelli and Kit Ashley and * is produced and mixed by Mike Slamer... But I can't find a * or a + next to any of the song titles anywhere!!!

i wonder what ever happeend to the 'NEW' big bang babies album that Perris Records were spruking about 12-18 months ago. It seems to have just disappeared off the face of the earth. Anyone know what happened there.

Their s/t cd is the one that continues to elude me...!

Yeah, I'd love to find me an original version of the debut too. One of the finest glam albums there is. Love to hear a new one too, if that ever happened.

In regards to 'Black Market'... 3 hidden tracks! Wow! On the CDR I had I'm pretty sure I only ever had track 20 alone and not the two songs that come after it. What a nice bonus, as all 3 songs kick ass. Thanks again, Lindsay. Great album.

• 2 weeks later...

Vicious Rumors - SOLDIERS OF THE NIGHT (1986)

All the current whoop-de-doo about James Rivera splitting with Vicious Rumors after a fight with Geoff Thorpe prompted me to dust off the rest of my V.R. CDs today. This is their first album (originally released on Shrapnel Records back in the day) and features the thankfully one-album-and-gone vocals of Gary St. Pierre. Whoo boy, five tracks in and I remember why I rarely, if ever, listen to this disc... cuz that guy couldn't sing his way out of a paper bag. The music is vintage full-shred Vicious Rumors of course, but St. Pierre's nasally, warbling vocals totally kill this album for me.

Thankfully by the next album (DIGITAL DICTATOR), St. Pierre was out and was replaced by the late great Carl Albert, who sang rings around his predecessor, so all was right with Vicious Rumors world... for a little while anyway...

• 3 weeks later...

Glenn Tipton - BAPTIZM OF FIRE (1997)

I remember buying this as a new release and being quite excited at the time, because though Rob Halford was quite visible during the first half of the 90s with his Fight project, there had been little, if anything, released from the rest of the Judas Priest camp. Glenn's solo album came out a few months before Priest's JUGULATOR and I was simply desperate to hear ANYTHING related to Judas Priest at the time.

As for the album itself, it's a mixed bag. Glenn has always been one of my favorite guitarists and of course the guitar work is rock solid and heavy as anything you've heard from him in Priest. However, the weak link is Glenn's lead vocals. This man CAN NOT SING his way out of a paper bag. His voice is thin, wobbly, and almost laughable in some spots. Glenn had an interesting cast of backing musicians helping him on this record (John Entwistle of The Who, Cozy Powell, Billy Sheehan, Robert Trujillo, and several others) so I still don't understand why he didn't bring in a few vocalists to do a couple of tracks. Whit Crane of Ugly Kid Joe makes a short appearance on "Voodoo Brother" but other than that the only voice you hear is Glenn's, and that is this CD's major stumbling block. Fortunately the sizzling instrumental work saves tracks like "Extinct," the excellent "Voodoo Brother," and the mostly-instrumental title track, which is quite possibly some of Glenn's best shredding ever. The cover of the Stones' "Paint It Black" is pretty damn good too. However, opening track "Hard Core," "Fuel Me Up," and closer "Left For Dead" are simply bad songs all around.

All in all, I enjoyed (and still enjoy) BAPTIZM to some extent, but I was thankful when JUGULATOR arrived a few months later and Glenn was back to what he did best, sticking to the guitar!!

I already mentioned this in the thread I created, but damn Michael Morales' debut is a truly excellent album. Absolutely perfect commercial rock / AOR. Not usually a fan of stuff that lite, but this guy is a song writer of the highest calibre. The thing I never understood about cover songs is very clear on this album too. 'What I like about you' is by far the weakest track and doesn't begin to compare with any of his originals. Great album.

Glenn Tipton - BAPTIZM OF FIRE (1997)

I remember buying this as a new release and being quite excited at the time, because though Rob Halford was quite visible during the first half of the 90s with his Fight project, there had been little, if anything, released from the rest of the Judas Priest camp. Glenn's solo album came out a few months before Priest's JUGULATOR and I was simply desperate to hear ANYTHING related to Judas Priest at the time.

As for the album itself, it's a mixed bag. Glenn has always been one of my favorite guitarists and of course the guitar work is rock solid and heavy as anything you've heard from him in Priest. However, the weak link is Glenn's lead vocals. This man CAN NOT SING his way out of a paper bag. His voice is thin, wobbly, and almost laughable in some spots. Glenn had an interesting cast of backing musicians helping him on this record (John Entwistle of The Who, Cozy Powell, Billy Sheehan, Robert Trujillo, and several others) so I still don't understand why he didn't bring in a few vocalists to do a couple of tracks. Whit Crane of Ugly Kid Joe makes a short appearance on "Voodoo Brother" but other than that the only voice you hear is Glenn's, and that is this CD's major stumbling block. Fortunately the sizzling instrumental work saves tracks like "Extinct," the excellent "Voodoo Brother," and the mostly-instrumental title track, which is quite possibly some of Glenn's best shredding ever. The cover of the Stones' "Paint It Black" is pretty damn good too. However, opening track "Hard Core," "Fuel Me Up," and closer "Left For Dead" are simply bad songs all around.

All in all, I enjoyed (and still enjoy) BAPTIZM to some extent, but I was thankful when JUGULATOR arrived a few months later and Glenn was back to what he did best, sticking to the guitar!!

I bought this when it came out too and played it often back in the day. I eventually got rid of it for some reason. But I do agree with you his vocals let this cd down and it could been a solid album with a good vocalist. The cover of "Paint it Black" was my fav song from the cd.

• 3 weeks later...

Bon Jovi- CRUSH. Due to Ian's incredible insight to this band I thought I'd spin this

again...Well....I just don't like it...sounds like crap IMO...I just can't get into any of the songs...They just don't have that certain something that makes me wanna listen to them...I'll put this back in my Wife's CD Collection it's hers...I think while I'm at it I'll put

Def Lep's X there also.... :whistle:

Bon Jovi- CRUSH. Due to Ian's incredible insight to this band I thought I'd spin this

again...Well....I just don't like it...sounds like crap IMO...I just can't get into any of the songs...They just don't have that ceratin something that makes me wanna listen to them...I'll put this back in my Wife'd CD Collection it's hers...I think while I'm at it I'll put

Instead of listening to Def Lepp's X you should try to use it as a frisbe, it flys really well. :whistle:

again...Well....I just don't like it...sounds like crap IMO...I just can't get into any of the songs...They just don't have that ceratin something that makes me wanna listen to them...I'll put this back in my Wife'd CD Collection it's hers...I think while I'm at it I'll put

Instead of listening to Def Lepp's X you should try to use it as a frisbe, it flys really well. :whistle:

I actually tossed it across the room in said fashion.... :banana:

Bo Bice - 'The real thing' ; I've had these tracks for a while but I saw it for a few dollars (the CD) and decided to get it as a Christmas pressie. I did enjoy what I'd heard, but spinning through it properly today I realised, this is a really cool disc. Great melodic rock... surprisingly so. :)

• 1 month later...

Prong - PROVE YOU WRONG

I owned this disc back when it was a current release but had traded it off sometime in the years since. I recently reviewed their newest album, POWER OF THE DAMAGER, for Detritus 'zine and that got me jonesin' to hear some of their older material again so I re-acquired it. Anyway...Prong were, and still are, a weird band. It's very tough to pin down into one particular genre; simply calling them a "thrash" band doesn't do them justice, as there are also elements of industrial, groove-metal (Am I the only one who thinks that Pantera ripped much of their COWBOYS FROM HELL era vibe from these guys?), and even NYC's lower-east side art-rock. Whatever you wanna call Prong, they can make one helluva racket. The tough, staccato riffing and otherworldly bass lines that power the bulk of this record make me want to start up an old school circle pit and kick some asses. My fave tracks are "Unconditional" (the bass line in this one is irresistible!), the title track, and "Get A Grip (On Yourself)."

It also bears mentioning that PROVE YOU WRONG totally smokes their new album.