Give it another spin....

ANTHRAX: "We've Come For You All"

Heard this way back when and hated it. Flash-forward to present day and my evolving taste for heavier metal (as opposed to melodic rock/metal) and I decide to give this another try, prompted by Tim(2)'s recommendation. Well, shave me hairless, cut off my nads, paint me purple, and call me Barney, but damn, this is some good stuff. Aggressive, heavy-hitting, slamming production...everything a growing metalmaniac needs!! :banger:

Oh yeah that's a great f#@king cd. :banger:

Backed, and I don't even like John Bush era Anthrax all that much so imagine my surprise when I first heard WE'VE COME FOR YOU ALL and found out how much ass it kicked!! :banger:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard this way back when and hated it. Flash-forward to present day and my evolving taste for heavier metal (as opposed to melodic rock/metal) and I decide to give this another try, prompted by Tim(2)'s recommendation. Well, shave me hairless, cut off my nads, paint me purple, and call me Barney, but damn, this is some good stuff. Aggressive, heavy-hitting, slamming production...everything a growing metalmaniac needs!! :banger:

Yeah I wasn't blown away when I first heard it. There are some nu-metal influences on it that kinda put me off initially, but then those tunes sink into your brain... I gotta say that "Sound Of White Noise" is probably a slightly stronger album for my money ("Room For One More" is a thrash classic) & the "Greater of 2 Evils" - where Bush re-works their best older tunes (most of which I didnt like until I heard Bush singing them) are essential discs too.

Yeah I wasn't blown away when I first heard it. There are some nu-metal influences on it that kinda put me off initially, but then those tunes sink into your brain... I gotta say that "Sound Of White Noise" is probably a slightly stronger album for my money ("Room For One More" is a thrash classic) & the "Greater of 2 Evils" - where Bush re-works their best older tunes (most of which I didnt like until I heard Bush singing them) are essential discs too.

Great album and One that even Pink 'n' Fluffy Jez has in his collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Britny Fox - S/T

I hadn't heard this disc in many years till it turned up in the pile of freebies I received the other day. I think I borrowed the cassette from Dark Star, who bought it as a new release back when we were in college together, I listened to it once or twice, said "ehhh, whatever" and gave it back to him unimpressed by it. Therefore I was actually kinda surprised at how much I liked this one when I spun it this morning. Nothing earth shattering but a solid hard rock CD. The major mistake the band made was placing the two best songs ("Girlschool" and "Long Way To Love" right at the top of the running order, so that the rest of the tracks are kinda anti-climactic. The lyrics are about as deep as a kid's wading pool and "Save The Weak" is still one of the all time worst power ballads I've ever heard, but I didn't find Dizzy Dean Davidson's vocals nearly as grating as I remembered them being and the guitar work is pretty impressive stuff.

Overall, dumb as a box of rocks but fun in a retro kind of way. :lol:

Britny Fox - S/T

I hadn't heard this disc in many years till it turned up in the pile of freebies I received the other day. I think I borrowed the cassette from Dark Star, who bought it as a new release back when we were in college together, I listened to it once or twice, said "ehhh, whatever" and gave it back to him unimpressed by it. Therefore I was actually kinda surprised at how much I liked this one when I spun it this morning. Nothing earth shattering but a solid hard rock CD. The major mistake the band made was placing the two best songs ("Girlschool" and "Long Way To Love" right at the top of the running order, so that the rest of the tracks are kinda anti-climactic. The lyrics are about as deep as a kid's wading pool and "Save The Weak" is still one of the all time worst power ballads I've ever heard, but I didn't find Dizzy Dean Davidson's vocals nearly as grating as I remembered them being and the guitar work is pretty impressive stuff.

You need the 3rd release "Bite Down Hard" with Tommy Paris(Aka Don Jilson) on vocals.

It's the heaviest and the best thing BF ever did imo.

Britny Fox - S/T

You need the 3rd release "Bite Down Hard" with Tommy Paris(Aka Don Jilson) on vocals.

Y'know, I can't tell you how many times I've held a used copy of "Bite Down Hard" in my hands and I've always put it back... dunno why, I guess I always found somethin' else that I wanted more... one of these days, one of these days.

Ratt - REACH FOR THE SKY

Yea, you guessed it ... another one of my freebies from earlier this week. I've had REACH FOR THE SKY on cassette since 1988, when I bought it as a new release. It's never been my favorite Ratt album, and listening to it again for the first time in Lord knows how long, I can't say I'm terribly excited about it nowadays either, other than the fantastic opener "City To City," the irresistible "Way Cool Jr." (Ratt goes Aerosmith) and "Chain Reaction." The rest of this album was obviously recorded while the band was on auto-pilot, it's all filler that goes in one ear and out the other.

I'm glad to finally have it on CD to fill out the Ratt section of my CD rack but I don't think it'll get taken off the shelf much in the future except to occasionally spin the aforementioned three tracks.

Ratt - REACH FOR THE SKY

Yea, you guessed it ... another one of my freebies from earlier this week. I've had REACH FOR THE SKY on cassette since 1988, when I bought it as a new release. It's never been my favorite Ratt album, and listening to it again for the first time in Lord knows how long, I can't say I'm terribly excited about it nowadays either, other than the fantastic opener "City To City," the irresistible "Way Cool Jr." (Ratt goes Aerosmith) and "Chain Reaction." The rest of this album was obviously recorded while the band was on auto-pilot, it's all filler that goes in one ear and out the other.

I'm glad to finally have it on CD to fill out the Ratt section of my CD rack but I don't think it'll get taken off the shelf much in the future except to occasionally spin the aforementioned three tracks.

I've always had a soft spot for this cd as it was my intro to Ratt with "Way Cool Jr" being out on MTV at the time I was introduced to this style of music. The cd I always felt they were on auto-pilot on was "Dancing Undercover", but I'm sure I'm alone with that opinon.

Britny Fox - S/T

Y'know, I can't tell you how many times I've held a used copy of "Bite Down Hard" in my hands and I've always put it back... dunno why, I guess I always found somethin' else that I wanted more... one of these days, one of these days.

I think their S/T is still their best Bite Down Hard was OK IMO I still like Dean's voice better.

Ratt - REACH FOR THE SKY

I've always had a soft spot for this cd as it was my intro to Ratt with "Way Cool Jr" being out on MTV at the time I was introduced to this style of music. The cd I always felt they were on auto-pilot on was "Dancing Undercover", but I'm sure I'm alone with that opinon.

That there is a great disc second only to Out Of The Cellar.

Britny Fox - S/T

Backed. I actually feel very much the same about the Britny Fox CD as you do, Keith... except I still think Dizzy's vocals are the worst ever recorded. I agree there's nothing there lyrically and 'Save the weak' is as bad as it gets, but it's one CD I have looked at, but never really thought of getting rid of. Simple as hell, but the songs are just great riff-laden "fun" tunes. Deceptively cool CD.

Britny Fox - S/T

I think their S/T is still their best Bite Down Hard was OK IMO I still like Dean's voice better.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????? :yikes:

Jokes mate, to each their own... but still, wow.

Britny Fox - S/T

Backed. I actually feel very much the same about the Britny Fox CD as you do, Keith... except I still think Dizzy's vocals are the worst ever recorded. I agree there's nothing there lyrically and 'Save the weak' is as bad as it gets, but it's one CD I have looked at, but never really thought of getting rid of. Simple as hell, but the songs are just great riff-laden "fun" tunes. Deceptively cool CD.

When Blackeyed Susan came out you could hear that Dean could actually sing and with Britny they were trying to cash in on the Tom Keifer/Cinderella thing.

Britny Fox - S/T

When Blackeyed Susan came out you could hear that Dean could actually sing and with Britny they were trying to cash in on the Tom Keifer/Cinderella thing.

Yeah, definitely agree with that. I have to admit I quite liked his voice in Blackeyed Susan, shame about those dreadful songs. I sold that heap of shit sooner than any I've sold before.

Britny Fox - S/T

Yeah, definitely agree with that. I have to admit I quite liked his voice in Blackeyed Susan, shame about those dreadful songs. I sold that heap of shit sooner than any I've sold before.

I like the album, it had a cool retro almost southern rock vibe to it and his voice did sound great on it.

Yeah, I generally hate southern rock and that did nothing to change my feelings towards it. But yeah, credit where it's due to actually using his voice properly.

Cinderella- Heartbreak Station

I just picked this one up on cd after passing on it at least 10,000 times over the past 10 years of dumpster diving.

I have it on cassette and really haven't given it a proper listen for a long long time. This cd is widely considered the worst Cinderella release and I'm not gonna argue that but I will admit that listening to it again I have a whole new appreciation for it. They really showed their wide range of influences on this one with the commercial sound on the singles "The More Things Change", "Shelter Me", and "Heartbreak Station". They also introduced something different with the almost country style of "One for Rock n Roll" and a Southern Rock vibe on "Sick for the Cure". There's also some cool album tracks such as "Dead Mans Road", "Winds of Change", "Make your Own Way" and "Electric Love".

All in all I think what made this one so hated was the fact that the other 3 Cinderella releases are so damn good and the fact that it leaned more in the blues direction also didn't help those that were big fans of the more Hair Metal sound on "Night Songs".

Silent Force - Walk The Earth

I got this about 2 months ago, spun it a couple times, then filed it away. We got to talking about great vocalists on another board and as usual, I always mention DC Cooper. That made me dig this one back out. I don't know where my ears were the first time I listened to this but this disc is great! I think it's more prog than the earlier Silent Force discs; almost like a heavy metal Royal Hunt. And as usual, Mr. Cooper's vox are stellar.

Actually, when I listened to the first Britny Fox yesterday, it occurred to me that during the few moments where Dean wasn't screeching his ass off ala Tom Keifer, he almost had kind of a Paul Stanley thing goin' with his voice. Did he use that voice more often on Blackeyed Susan?

Actually, when I listened to the first Britny Fox yesterday, it occurred to me that during the few moments where Dean wasn't screeching his ass off ala Tom Keifer, he almost had kind of a Paul Stanley thing goin' with his voice. Did he use that voice more often on Blackeyed Susan?

Yeah he didn't scream to often on the Blackeyed Susan cd, he sang in his natural voice most of the time.

Britny Fox - S/T

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????? :yikes:

Sometimes you have to like singers that don't have that polished voice, I think Britny Fox pulled it off having Dean on vocals they were huge when they first came out. Granted he dosen't have to voice to sing ballads but there are songs out there much worse that Save The Weak.

Britny Fox - S/T

Sometimes you have to like singers that don't have that polished voice, I think Britny Fox pulled it off having Dean on vocals they were huge when they first came out. Granted he dosen't have to voice to sing ballads but there are songs out there much worse that Save The Weak.

I think he sang the song "Dream On" very well and that was a ballad.

The problem with "Save the Weak" was that is was a horrible song.

I agree with Keith that his normal voice definitely had a Paul Stanley vibe, hugely. I liked his vocals on 'Save the weak', but as Wes said... it is just a horrible song.

I just listened to 'Voice of reason' by Harem Scarem in full, for the first time in a long time, and damn I was impressed. I usually just play 'Candle', 'Blue', 'Necessary Evil' and 'Breathing sand' and just skip the rest. But the truth is, the rest is damn fine, except 'And that's all', which is still quite bad. But overall, I really dug this. F*ck me 'Candle' is a stunning peice of song though.

• 4 weeks later...
I just listened to 'Voice of reason' by Harem Scarem in full, for the first time in a long time, and damn I was impressed. I usually just play 'Candle', 'Blue', 'Necessary Evil' and 'Breathing sand' and just skip the rest. But the truth is, the rest is damn fine, except 'And that's all', which is still quite bad. But overall, I really dug this. F*ck me 'Candle' is a stunning peice of song though.

I think your first sentence sums up my feelings on this album. When I get round to playing it I actually enjoy it, but - unlike almost every other H.S album - it's never an album I automatically reach for to play. Nor can I actually remember any of the choruses - not one. Every other H.S has at least 4 or 5 (or occasionally ALL) tracks that I can recall the chorus....

I dug out URGENT "Thinking Out Loud" (not the Canadian band but the one with Diving For Pearls' Yul Vasquez on). Given that I'm listening to a lot of heavier stuff these days I wasn't sure if I'd still love this classic 80's AOR, but I do! This is a MONSTER album, one that I just don't play enough. In fact I picked it up 15 or 16 years back but because it was in amongst so many other great albums it never got the attention it deserved. Love the keys, love the vocals & the production. If you find it, for even a vaguely reasonable price, GET IT.

I think your first sentence sums up my feelings on this album. When I get round to playing it I actually enjoy it, but - unlike almost every other H.S album - it's never an album I automatically reach for to play. Nor can I actually remember any of the choruses - not one. Every other H.S has at least 4 or 5 (or occasionally ALL) tracks that I can recall the chorus....

While we're on the subject, I finally finished my Harem Scarem kick yesterday, having heard each album one after the other (started just before Melbourne and finished yesterday) and holy f*ck I love 'Overload'. I've always liked it a lot, but of the last four post-2000 albums it is probably my fave, I have to admit.

BTW, 'Candle' IMO is one of the catchiest songs HS every wrote and that chorus is eternally embedded in my skull.