Give it another spin....

Okay here is the idea. Play a release that you haven’t heard in a long time that you hated,

to see how you feel about it now. Maybe time has changed your mind…

My first Re-Review is SAVATAGE’S “FIGHT FOR THE ROCK”

Savatage’s “Power of the Night” has been a fave of mine since it was released.

In the summer of 85 I was playing it all the time and waiting anxiously for their next

platter to drop. I remember the day I found out it was out…man I could hardly wait to

get my greasy mitts on it…I picked it up on Friday and rushed back to my apartment

to play it…Every Friday my roommates and I drank beer, played our newest “finds” and

jammed out on guitars. I put the tape in and waited…Stunned was my feeling…

I couldn’t even make it through the whole thing. How Could Savatage release this?

I hated the fucking thing…I rated it 1/10,Skip ahead 22 years, I bought it again…

Well I played it last night and I see what I didn’t like about it when I first heard it.

First off, they had too many “producers” trying to make them more commercial.

Secondly, there are too many “covers”…c’mon “Day After Day? Please.

I think that their Record label didn’t know what to do with them….

Listening to it now I really like it and I think it has held up much better than

I would have imagined. I don’t think it’s one of their better releases, but

I do like it and have a much better appreciation for it. So I’d rate this now

7/10…the effort is there as is the playing…the songs aren’t as strong

as they could have been but they aren’t horrible either.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I never liked JPriest Turbo, got the remastered last week and really like it now, some really great tunes on this one, yes, a bit strange, but in retrospect, great one I missed out on in the 80's!!!

Okay, decided to give it a go with the much maligned Maestro Alex Gregory - Paganini's Last Stand which I read a bunch of solid reviews on a variety of sites (including HH.com) and proceeded to buy it with high hopes of discovering another gifted instrumentalist... well I can say I was surprised when I listened to it, and not in a good way. Sloppy playing, shitty melodies, zero hooks and an amateur production on top of all of that.

Flash forward to June 21, 2007: "hey what's that on the shelf above my desk? Why it's the mighty Maestro! I must give it another listen for certain!" Wow this is just so bad it takes bad to a whole other level. This guy has apparently developed and patented some wacky instruments like electric mandolins, etc. but he does not appear to have ever learned how to play them. The cover depicts a poodle-haired, boots-outside-of-pants Maestro pissing on the "graves" of Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai. Pure and utter rubbish, I like this even less than the first few times I heard it, yet I cannot seem to get rid of it... for comedic purposes... or something...

Powermad - ABSOLUTE POWER (1989)

Some folks were raving about this one on another site I visit a while back and made me think "hmm, y'know, I have that, but I haven't listened to it in a while." So I dusted it off and to be honest I don't understand what all the whoop-de-doo is. Powermad was a competent second-or-third-tier thrash band (in the vein of JUSTICE-era Metallica) but nothing really more than that. I think the only reason this album was released on a major label (Warner Brothers) was because they happened to be in the right place at the right time, i.e. when all the majors were snapping up all the thrash bands they could find in the hopes of finding "the next Metallica."

In short, not a bad CD, worth hearing if you can find it cheap, but it's not essential either.

Okay, decided to give it a go with the much maligned Maestro Alex Gregory - Paganini's Last Stand which I read a bunch of solid reviews on a variety of sites (including HH.com) and proceeded to buy it with high hopes of discovering another gifted instrumentalist... well I can say I was surprised when I listened to it, and not in a good way. Sloppy playing, shitty melodies, zero hooks and an amateur production on top of all of that.

Flash forward to June 21, 2007: "hey what's that on the shelf above my desk? Why it's the mighty Maestro! I must give it another listen for certain!" Wow this is just so bad it takes bad to a whole other level. This guy has apparently developed and patented some wacky instruments like electric mandolins, etc. but he does not appear to have ever learned how to play them. The cover depicts a poodle-haired, boots-outside-of-pants Maestro pissing on the "graves" of Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai. Pure and utter rubbish, I like this even less than the first few times I heard it, yet I cannot seem to get rid of it... for comedic purposes... or something...

Yeah I had that one also...complete and utter CRAP...Hell He makes

Vinnie Vincent sound GREAT!!! I'd even take The GREAT KAT over this wanker....

Yeah I had that one also...complete and utter CRAP...Hell He makes

Vinnie Vincent sound GREAT!!! I'd even take The GREAT KAT over this wanker....

:agree: at least the Great Kat was meant to be a little tongue in cheek.

Not to mention, The Great Kat has the Nork Factor in her favor. :)

Norks are pretty cool, I can't argue with that!

Norks are pretty cool, I can't argue with that!

There's just something about the Great Kat's bondage outfits, her spike heels and the fake blood splattered all over her norks, she's quite a package!! :crazy:

TWO-Voyeurs...I spun this again last night...god it is still horrible....Rob was really

off his rocker when he released this...I could only make it through 4 songs...Geez

I don't even know why I still have this...a Dumpstering it will go...

Metal Church - MASTERPEACE

I gotta admit, I hated this record when I first heard it in 99... it's been gathering dust ever since... I have dusted it off maybe once a year (if that) since then, to see if it's grown on me any. Well, today's the day and it's still mediocre at best. I think my initial hatred of it may have cooled with time, but if this disc had any other band's name on it besides Metal Church I would probably have liked this a lot better. David Wayne's (R.I.P.) vocal performance is the major let down for me. I wanted to hear this guy screaming like he did on the initial pair of M.C. platters or on the first Reverend EP, but his voice sounds pretty strained and nasal without much power. Musically it's solid, vocally I wish they'd drafted Ronny Munroe (current M.C. vocalist) a few years earlier.

Powermad - ABSOLUTE POWER (1989)

Some folks were raving about this one on another site I visit a while back and made me think "hmm, y'know, I have that, but I haven't listened to it in a while." So I dusted it off and to be honest I don't understand what all the whoop-de-doo is. Powermad was a competent second-or-third-tier thrash band (in the vein of JUSTICE-era Metallica) but nothing really more than that. I think the only reason this album was released on a major label (Warner Brothers) was because they happened to be in the right place at the right time, i.e. when all the majors were snapping up all the thrash bands they could find in the hopes of finding "the next Metallica."

In short, not a bad CD, worth hearing if you can find it cheap, but it's not essential either.

Is that the disc with the tune "Nice Dreams"? I think I used to have that disc but only liked that one tune!

Is that the disc with the tune "Nice Dreams"? I think I used to have that disc but only liked that one tune!

I believe it is, but to be honest I'd have to pull the CD out again to be sure... the only song that ever grabbed me overly much was the title track.

Well I dusted off Voodoo Hill 'Wild Seed of Mother Earth" the other day. I bought it ages ago and listened to it once and thought it was average at best. Just goes to show you that once through is not enough. The second time through seriously impressed me and it has been on my regular playlist ever since.....

Metal Church - MASTERPEACE

I gotta admit, I hated this record when I first heard it in 99... it's been gathering dust ever since... I have dusted it off maybe once a year (if that) since then, to see if it's grown on me any. Well, today's the day and it's still mediocre at best. I think my initial hatred of it may have cooled with time, but if this disc had any other band's name on it besides Metal Church I would probably have liked this a lot better. David Wayne's (R.I.P.) vocal performance is the major let down for me. I wanted to hear this guy screaming like he did on the initial pair of M.C. platters or on the first Reverend EP, but his voice sounds pretty strained and nasal without much power. Musically it's solid, vocally I wish they'd drafted Ronny Munroe (current M.C. vocalist) a few years earlier.

I feel the same....what a total waste...I think I have only playe this thing 2 times....

so why don't I get rid of it??? I guess it complete's some sort of package... :thppt:

• 3 weeks later...

Hericane Alice - TEAR THE HOUSE DOWN

I was inspired to dust this one off by the thread about the H.A. "reunion" (with only one original guy) here on this board... and I stand by my comments about this one in that thread... a decent enough listen but a bit on the generic side. It's rather easy to see how they got lost in the shuffle during the Great Hair Band Glut of 89-90

I'm trying so hard to find something to like on this new Lillian Axe album. It is better than Winger's 'IV' and obviously TNT's horrifyingly awful 'New Territory', but I just can't get into it at all. Damn I'm trying though.

That's an easy one Hurricane Over The Edge. I remember hating it when I purchased it back in high school and until a few years ago I gave it another listen and I really found myself liking the release...it must be my old age.

Was ALWAYS a huge fan of this one!

That's an easy one Hurricane Over The Edge. I remember hating it when I purchased it back in high school and until a few years ago I gave it another listen and I really found myself liking the release...it must be my old age.

Heavy Pettin's Rock Ain't Dead. HATED it when I bought it back in the day. LOVE it now. Not sure what I was thinking, but it is VERY different then their debut. Especially production-wise, MUCH more polished.

Sonata Arctica's Unia.

Man, I hate this album! People keep raving about how great it is and I keep retrying it thinking I missed something. I'm not the one missing something, the CD is. It's missing any memorability at all. How the band that put out Ecliptica put this prog crap out is beyond me...

Faster Pussycat- Wake Me when it's Over

I've had this on cassette for years but just recently picked it up on cd used for like $4 or something.

Anyway it's not near as good as I remember it. I always loved "House of Pain" and "Poison Ivy" but besides those two tunes there's only a few others that are worth spinning ever again. I'm not sure why I thought this cd was good in the first place.

Was ALWAYS a huge fan of this one!

Yeah and now I love Hurricane I have all thier stuff.

ANTHRAX: "We've Come For You All"

Heard this way back when and hated it. Flash-forward to present day and my evolving taste for heavier metal (as opposed to melodic rock/metal) and I decide to give this another try, prompted by Tim(2)'s recommendation. Well, shave me hairless, cut off my nads, paint me purple, and call me Barney, but damn, this is some good stuff. Aggressive, heavy-hitting, slamming production...everything a growing metalmaniac needs!! :banger:

ANTHRAX: "We've Come For You All"

Heard this way back when and hated it. Flash-forward to present day and my evolving taste for heavier metal (as opposed to melodic rock/metal) and I decide to give this another try, prompted by Tim(2)'s recommendation. Well, shave me hairless, cut off my nads, paint me purple, and call me Barney, but damn, this is some good stuff. Aggressive, heavy-hitting, slamming production...everything a growing metalmaniac needs!! :banger:

Oh yeah that's a great f#@king cd. :banger: