Let's Help Dan Out......

Delbert

image001.gif

I just wanted to check to see if you had any spare cash lying around to donate to the Heavy Harmonies Web site?

Everyone hates to be solicited for donations, and every once in awhile Dan has to put up one of those banners requesting some help.

How about it everyone......don't you think it's worth it to be able to drop by this web site (some as many as two or three times a day) and immerse yourself in news, info and discussion of CD collecting and Rock Music???? You darn right.....but, it ain't free......

I see some names of people logged on continually who have never once made a donation to help keep the site going. We have lots of good volunteers who do quite a bit of work behind the scenes, but, these servers cost $$$. I'm glad I'm not footin' the bill.....

So let's all of us just overwhelm Dan and let him know how much we appreciate what he's provided for us here bY donating to the site.....????

Heya Del,

I certainly appreciate the enthusiasm (and the donations ;) ), but the periodic "nagging" I used to have to do is one of the reasons I switched to an annual "fund drive" (held in November) rather than asking for donations every few months.

Kinda like Public Radio and TV always begging for assistance, people get tired of it happening more than once a year, even if they are partaking of the services year round.

So... rather than pestering people every few months, I do it once a year, running a giveaway in conjunction.

As you mention, there are still plenty of regulars who don't donate even during the fund drive, but that's the nature of a voluntary system. There are always those who expect things for free... and those who are willing to donate foot the bill for those who are not. That's just the way it is.

A subscription-based system would be the fairest, but that just ends up driving people away and decreasing the size of the community...

At any rate, donate if the spirit moves ye, but I'll be hitting y'all up in November. :lol:

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Good idea! Here comes a $10 from me, :drink:

Here's $10 from me too!

Just so it's made known, I did send money last go round. I don't know if it ever got to Dan, but I did send it. I kept waiting to see my name on the list and I never did.

Hi Jacob,

When did you last donate? I know I'm a bit behind in updating the list. Also, there's the possibility that if you don't donate every 8 months or so, to fall off the list..

-Dan

How does one donate besides PayPal? I refuse to use ebay or paypal anymore. But I definitely love it here and would like to send my donation. Cash/money orders/checks.... what is the best alternative?

How does one donate besides PayPal? I refuse to use ebay or paypal anymore. But I definitely love it here and would like to send my donation. Cash/money orders/checks.... what is the best alternative?

Money order is fine (I don't recommend sending cash through the mail). You can send to:

Dan Harding

P.O. Box 17212

Urbana, IL 61803

USA

Muchas gracias!

-Dan

Money order is fine (I don't recommend sending cash through the mail). You can send to:

Dan Harding

P.O. Box 17212

Urbana, IL 61803

USA

Muchas gracias!

-Dan

That works for me. You shall receive my donation in the next couple days. Thanks for a wonderful place to hang out Dan!! :)

Now that I look back at the old thread I realize how long ago that was. That was back in November. I think I only sent a $10 money order. I was still excited at the possibility of having my name on the list. That would have been cool.

Now that I look back at the old thread I realize how long ago that was. That was back in November. I think I only sent a $10 money order. I was still excited at the possibility of having my name on the list. That would have been cool.

Well, in the event that I might have missed you, I've added you to the top of the list. Enjoy your new-found fame! ;)

Seriously though, I appreciate all of the donations from everyone!

-Dan

P.S. I wonder if going forward, I should put the date of last donation next to people's names. It would help both me and the donor to keep track of when they last donated... What do you think?

Well, in the event that I might have missed you, I've added you to the top of the list. Enjoy your new-found fame! ;)

Seriously though, I appreciate all of the donations from everyone!

-Dan

P.S. I wonder if going forward, I should put the date of last donation next to people's names. It would help both me and the donor to keep track of when they last donated... What do you think?

That would be helpful in keeping some of us on task. I often forget when I donate, etc.

Okeydokey, the Donors Page is now up to date as of today. :banana:

I have gone back through my PayPal records all the way back to October 1, 2006, and added the most recent date of donation behind each person's name (that was a fun excercise...). If you don't see a date next to your name, that means that according to my records, you haven't donated since before October of 2006.

Muchas gracias! (Actually... hmm... there's a very active Spanish-speaking contingent on the main site, of which virtually none ever donate... I wonder if I need to do a fund drive in Spanish? ;) ).

-Dan

OK done. My bank finally allowed my Debit card in as backup on PayPal. Donation sent. This is an awesome site that must be kept alive.

This is an awesome site that must be kept alive.

Greatly appreciate the donation!

However... the tone of the above implies that the site is on life support or is in danger of closing. I don't want people to get the wrong impression. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Even if no one ever donated, I would keep HH going entirely out-of-pocket. So unless I walk in front of a bus at some point, the site is safe. ;)

People should donate because they want to, not because there's some implied threat or danger of closure. :)

Thanks!

-Dan

This is an awesome site that must be kept alive.

Greatly appreciate the donation!

However... the tone of the above implies that the site is on life support or is in danger of closing. I don't want people to get the wrong impression. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Even if no one ever donated, I would keep HH going entirely out-of-pocket. So unless I walk in front of a bus at some point, the site is safe. ;)

People should donate because they want to, not because there's some implied threat or danger of closure. :)

Thanks!

-Dan

OK. Point taken. Didn't mean that but it came out that way. Much obliged for the clarification...

Point taken. Another 10 bucks coming from me.

GREAT site, Dan !! Keep it up !! :drink:

• 2 weeks later...

Just sent a cool $5 donation thru paypal. Cheers to a great site!!