Hurricane Bootleg Warning

All of my Hurricane releases are authentic. US versions were bought years ago in long boxes and my Japanese come from a very trusted source and were purchased several years ago. Please notice that there are 2 US "Over The Edge" versions. The first version has a clear inner ring while the later issue had the "hurricane" black art cover the inner ring.

Domestic "Take What You Want"

Silver Ring: MADE BY DISCOVERY SYSTEMS - AN AMERICAN COMPANY 0D40100

Japanese "Take What You Want"

Clear Ring: CSR

Silver Ring: 25XB-308 1 * ** ********

Domestic "Over The Edge" Version 1 Clear Inner Ring

Clear Ring: Made In USA-Digital Audio Disc Corp

Silver Ring: DIDY-003098 1 *** *****

Domestic "Over The Edge" Version 2 Black Inner Ring and/or the D2-73320 version

Only able to read from underside because of black inner ring and it reads backwards

73320 1 1 5 CAPITOL JAX 3 D

Japanese "Over The Edge"

Silver Ring: 32XB-255 1 * ** *****

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....and good luck finding the "real thing" of bands like Mariah , Defcon , XL New York , Mass , and tons of others that were never before released on cd......oh but you somehow got some of those didn't you Choc?

What Mass recordings never made it onto CD???

Hope that statement is similar to an auction/post I referred to a while back about the Soren CD you where selling. Which in your auction, stated "first time ever on CD"

http://cgi.ebay.com/S0REN-CD-1993-ULTRA-RA...1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW: Choc and Eagles, I am very sorry to hear of your bootleg misfortune.

end of story.

....and good luck finding the "real thing" of bands like Mariah , Defcon , XL New York , Mass , and tons of others that were never before released on cd......oh but you somehow got some of those didn't you Choc?

What Mass recordings never made it onto CD???

Hope that statement is similar to an auction/post I referred to a while back about the Soren CD you where selling. Which in your auction, stated "first time ever on CD"

http://cgi.ebay.com/S0REN-CD-1993-ULTRA-RA...1QQcmdZViewItem

New Birth was never before released on cd until I released it.

All of my Hurricane releases are authentic. US versions were bought years ago in long boxes and my Japanese come from a very trusted source and were purchased several years ago. Please notice that there are 2 US "Over The Edge" versions. The first version has a clear inner ring while the later issue had the "hurricane" black art cover the inner ring.

Only able to read from underside because of black inner ring and it reads backwards

Japanese "Over The Edge"

Just checked my domestic (USA) Take What You Want CD and it has the markings you state. Also checked my domestic Over The Edge CD version 2 w/black inner ring and it has the markings you state. Just wanted to corroborate/confirm this.

Guest DSB-RECORDS

Sam, that's such a horse-shit cop out it's hillarious. If people were up front & honest about exactly what they were selling in the first place, these problems wouldn't exist, would they? Believe it or not, there are some people out there who want the genuine article...not some piece of shit knock off that's being passed off as the real thing.

I agree. My problem with bootlegs has been less about the nature of them than sellers not revealing what they are selling and the expectations of the buyer. I shouldn't have to PM a seller and ask if a disc is a bootleg, especially if you consider that most sellers will either (1) lie to you or (2) be hostile about the question.

It's to the point where you have to assume that any rare disc is a bootleg until proven otherwise, instead of the other way around.

Of course sellers will never candidly admit or reveal their merchandise as being bootlegs voluntarily. That would be like a burglar ringing the doorbell first: it sure as hell isn't in their best interest...

Sam's response is one you would expect: he deflects the question back into your lap, making it your fault or problem as the buyer, rather than his responsibility as a seller. Nothing new.

The never-ending supply of Wraith soundtracks he sells are another prime example.

Oh well, this is an age-old argument that we'll never see a resolution to...

-Dan

That's right Dan - and isn't it amazing how nobody has ever complained about those discs? Because the MAJORITY of true music fans buy for music , not for other bullshit reasons. Bottom line - I cater to those people , not the anal collectors - which is why I am the top hard rock / metal seller in the USA.

I am really sick of this argument.....so give it a rest already.

God damn, another Hurricane tibacle. I purchased a copy of Take What You Want from Sam last December...I'll have to check it out when I get home. I swear to Christ if it's a boot...heads will fucking roll...if I find out I spent $80 on a fuckin' boot I will flip, I'm going to want to know where Sam got these copies from. Let's just say the authorities will be involved ASAP!!!!

I'm sure it isn't, Sam seems pretty knowledgeable about this stuff. I will check just to be sure.

Totally legit Eagles. And please don't mention the word "authorities" - I have heard that line for 7 years and it means diddly.

Sam wouldn't knowingly sell a boot would he? If so what should a boot sell for? I want to give him the benefit of the doubt before making accusing anyone of selling a boot. The last thing I want to do is make enemies.

Every Hurricane cd I have sold is the real deal......and that amounts to about 10 in 7 years.

Sam-seems I need to refresh your memory!

2 years ago I bought 3 of your EBAY CDs-HURRICANE,Balanx and Cauze-all 3 were fakes!!!

You got them back and thanks to PAYPAL my paid amount was refunded.

These are some of your real deals for past Years-----no more comments for the community necessary,I think!!

Dieter

Japanese "Over The Edge"

Just checked my domestic (USA) Take What You Want CD and it has the markings you state. Also checked my domestic Over The Edge CD version 2 w/black inner ring and it has the markings you state. Just wanted to corroborate/confirm this.

'Preciate it guys...thanks for the info.

Sam-seems I need to refresh your memory!

2 years ago I bought 3 of your EBAY CDs-HURRICANE,Balanx and Cauze-all 3 were fakes!!!

You got them back and thanks to PAYPAL my paid amount was refunded.

These are some of your real deals for past Years-----no more comments for the community necessary,I think!!

Dieter

Real Deals Dieter? With over 66000 successful transactions - THOSE are the real deals. There is NOBODY at this forum with as many. There was nothing fake about those cd's , just the guy who bought them.

'nuff said.

Real Deals Dieter? With over 66000 successful transactions - THOSE are the real deals. There is NOBODY at this forum with as many. There was nothing fake about those cd's , just the guy who bought them.

'nuff said.

With the exception of Lonnie within the past few months, you can also claim that NOBODY at this forum has created more controversy and raised the blood pressure of others quite as much as you have.

'nuff said.

A TOTALLY unnecessary statement.

Guys, please pay attention to how you're quoting previous posts. If you see code marks for beginning and ending quotes in the final post, you're not editing properly.

Each begin quote must have a matching end quote, or else you just get bits of code showing.

Sam, do you always intentionally insult your customers, or just the ones who have ever claim to have had problems with your merchandise?

You're really not doing yourself any favors... there's no upside for you other than the smug satisfaction you get by calling people names. It's juvenile behavior.

-Dan

'nuff said.

With the exception of Lonnie within the past few months, you can also claim that NOBODY at this forum has created more controversy and raised the blood pressure of others quite as much as you have.

Yep , it feels pretty good too. Especially the anal collectors who think they are king shit (and you know who you are - there are many at this forum who know who you are).

How does it feel to be de-throned? :P:P

'nuff said.

A TOTALLY unnecessary statement.

I disagree.

Sam, do you always intentionally insult your customers, or just the ones who have ever claim to have had problems with your merchandise?

You're really not doing yourself any favors... there's no upside for you other than the smug satisfaction you get by calling people names. It's juvenile behavior.

-Dan

I only insult the insulters. 'Nuff said.

Well I must say that I'm new to the forum but I'll toss my 2 cents worth in anyway...I do not collect cds for investment purposes, only for listening pleasure. Since many of the cds I'm after are rare and/or extremely pricey I do not mind picking up boots if they are good quality and not too expensive. For example the other day I picked up 4 cds from an ebay seller in Greece, I knew the odds were pretty good they would be boots but I was curious as to whether they would be of decent quality....they turned out to be excellent quality and I do not regret the purchase. The cost was about $13USD per cd (including shipping)and the titles were Valentine..S/T and the first 3 Skagarack releases.....

I don't blame you , I'd be upset as well. Of course I wouldn't pay that kind of money for ANY cd since I'm not a serious collector. It's too bad the sellers can't be more forthcoming about the heritage of their cds but it's illegal to sell boots so we end up wondering whether the cd is original. Of course some have started saying things like "not sure if it is 1st or 2nd pressing" in their descriptions which pretty much gives the game away :P

Well I must say that I'm new to the forum but I'll toss my 2 cents worth in anyway...I do not collect cds for investment purposes, only for listening pleasure. Since many of the cds I'm after are rare and/or extremely pricey I do not mind picking up boots if they are good quality and not too expensive. For example the other day I picked up 4 cds from an ebay seller in Greece, I knew the odds were pretty good they would be boots but I was curious as to whether they would be of decent quality....they turned out to be excellent quality and I do not regret the purchase. The cost was about $13USD per cd (including shipping)and the titles were Valentine..S/T and the first 3 Skagarack releases.....

good man!!! :banger::banger::banana::banger::banger:

I have bought from Sam in the past. Quite a bit actually. I never encountered a problem in any way shape or form. That being said I would love to know what satisfaction does he get in insulting others who basically ask a simple question.

Guest DSB-RECORDS
Paying $13.00 a disc is no big deal...it's when you fork out $80.00 for a supposed original that turns out to be a boot that I get pissed off.

That's EXACTLY the point and that was my feeling after buying supposed Originals from a seller which EBAY Feedbacks I trusted at that time-but as we all know situation has changed in the meantime and you can't trust

most descriptions today-probably because many sellers can't even differ the Boots from the Originals or even want to get rid of them again.

What makes me ANGRY is that I pay taxes for my business,that I spend a lot of time for my customship to get them Originals at affordable prices and some Individuals earn big money with producing and selling fakes or not licensed copies (also claiming that they paid these Bands which is as well doubtful in many cases)

I understand that the music is the important thing-for some people it may be enough not to have the Original

at higher price-that's okay.Would they also buy a Fake Rolex or Steiff-I fear not-they could probably be the fools of their wives or girlfriends!!!

Sorry-but I will never excuse for carrying (Original) Quality with DSB!

AND I'm sure there are some who still feel insulted about the convincing Boot FACTS - but I don't bother too much their reactions- like Dan said about Sam's concerns- sometimes replys are the hidden truth.

Paying $13.00 a disc is no big deal...it's when you fork out $80.00 for a supposed original that turns out to be a boot that I get pissed off.

That's EXACTLY the point and that was my feeling after buying supposed Originals from a seller which EBAY Feedbacks I trusted at that time-but as we all know situation has changed in the meantime and you can't trust

most descriptions today-probably because many sellers can't even differ the Boots from the Originals or even want to get rid of them again.

What makes me ANGRY is that I pay taxes for my business,that I spend a lot of time for my customship to get them Originals at affordable prices and some Individuals earn big money with producing and selling fakes or not licensed copies (also claiming that they paid these Bands which is as well doubtful in many cases)

I understand that the music is the important thing-for some people it may be enough not to have the Original

at higher price-that's okay.Would they also buy a Fake Rolex or Steiff-I fear not-they could probably be the fools of their wives or girlfriends!!!

AND I'm sure there are some who still feel insulted about the convincing Boot FACTS - but I don't bother too much their reactions- like Dan said about Sam's concerns- sometimes replys are the hidden truth.

If you cared more about collecting and enjoying music instead of re-selling and trying to make a profit then I would be more sympathetic.

If you cared more about collecting and enjoying music instead of re-selling and trying to make a profit then I would be more sympathetic.

I see.... so reselling to make a profit = bad, but illegally making or selling bootlegs to make a profit = good... talk about a fundamental moral disconnect.

Do you realize that with your statement above you just insulted anyone and everyone here who runs a music business or resells casually, whether that's NEH Records, AOR Heaven, or anyone else, on Ebay or otherwise, including the majority of the longtime regulars on this board?

Your contempt for everyone here is utterly amazing. Do you not realize just how many people you insult and alienate when you make statements like that or do you simply not give a shit?

See, this is the thing that just drives me bonkers: You are constantly claiming that I and others unfairly criticize and "gang up" on you, yet you come here on a regular basis and make broad sweeping insults to the community here. You act like everyone here is beneath your contempt and not worthy to bask in your august presence, and then you whine about unfair everyone is. Huh?

I've said this countless times over the years, but I keep coming back to it: Do you think that maybe if you didn't go out of your way to alienate, antagonize, ridicule, and belittle people on a regular basis, that maybe, just MAYBE, people would be more courteous to you in turn???

Believe it or not, it goes both ways. You say that people here have to earn your respect. Right back atcha.

-Dan

Guest DSB-RECORDS

Sam-for sure do I collect and enjoy music-my taste is not only AOR,but also 80's Hard Rock and Metal.

There are many people here who know my collection - without it I would not have been able to tell you how

my Original CD of CAUZE looked like-totally contrary to your "Promo issue"!

What irritates me is that as a lover of sleaze, glam, hard rock and melodic metal I am unable to get a hold of out of print releases without paying a small fortune for each release. I would like to see these cds re-released so that those of us without unlimited finances can enjoy the music which in my opinion is what it's all about. Until this happens I find that I am forced to support those who make boots, I would much prefer that the money went to the bands but that is not the world we live in etc etc...

There's nothing wrong with buying originals if that's what turns your crank but comparing a high quality boot to a fake rolex is not a reasonable comparison. The question IMO, is there a difference in the sound between 'originals' and boots not to mention the quality of the disc itself...if there is no difference then why buy 'original' unless you are making an investment.?? I suppose if money is the only consideration you can always download the mp3s for free off of a newsserver but that's not something I can do anymore than I can read a book on a bookreader rather than have the actual paperback in my hands....

What irritates me is that as a lover of sleaze, glam, hard rock and melodic metal I am unable to get a hold of out of print releases without paying a small fortune for each release. I would like to see these cds re-released so that those of us without unlimited finances can enjoy the music which in my opinion is what it's all about. Until this happens I find that I am forced to support those who make boots, I would much prefer that the money went to the bands but that is not the world we live in etc etc...

There's nothing wrong with buying originals if that's what turns your crank but comparing a high quality boot to a fake rolex is not a reasonable comparison. The question IMO, is there a difference in the sound between 'originals' and boots not to mention the quality of the disc itself...if there is no difference then why buy 'original' unless you are making an investment.?? I suppose if money is the only consideration you can always download the mp3s for free off of a newsserver but that's not something I can do anymore than I can read a book on a bookreader rather than have the actual paperback in my hands....

I think you are missing a fundamental point, many of these bootlegs are produced solely to fool people into thinking they are the real thing so they pay top dollar for what they believe is a genuine copy when what they are getting is a knock off copy of the original.

I have not missed that point. I agree that kind of thing is reprehensible. I guess the only way to get an original these days is to find a seller that you trust....In my case it is not a big deal since I refuse to pay more than $15-$20 for a cd so it's not a huge dissappointment if the cd turns out to be a boot....Of course my view is probably in the minority on this site since it seems, from what I've read so far, that most are serious collectors....

I have not missed that point. I agree that kind of thing is reprehensible. I guess the only way to get an original these days is to find a seller that you trust....In my case it is not a big deal since I refuse to pay more than $15-$20 for a cd so it's not a huge dissappointment if the cd turns out to be a boot....Of course my view is probably in the minority on this site since it seems, from what I've read so far, that most are serious collectors....

I told myself I would post anymore in this thread. Not everyone on this board is a collector but I think the majority of us frown on boots because 99% of the time a buyer isn't told it's a boot when it's purchased and it turns into the buyer/collector being extremely pissed off not getting what they paid for. I know I'm happy for the most part if I can find an "OFFICAL" re-issue at a reasonalbe price depending on what disc I'm searching for.

Sam-for sure do I collect and enjoy music-my taste is not only AOR,but also 80's Hard Rock and Metal.

There are many people here who know my collection - without it I would not have been able to tell you how

my Original CD of CAUZE looked like-totally contrary to your "Promo issue"!

What I love is how people think they know stuff and yet are completely clueless about it (that goes for many peeps here at HH). The Cauze pressed 2 versions of their cd in 1987. One was for fans and one was for record companies. FACT. Do your fucking homework and stop pointing fingers.

See Dan , because people at this board do NOT do their homework and people like me have been in this business for TWENTY YEARS PLUS , there are mistakes made. And you wonder why I get so annoyed????

Puh-lease.