Fixing scuffed CDs

LV KIX

Reading another thread reminded me of a little trick I discovered. One of my KIX CDs got a major scratch somehow and one song wouldn't play without skipping... I had a couple copies...so no big deal. I just couldn't bring myself to trash the CD so I tried something, which to my surprise, cured this problem. I put a couple of drops of my wife's CONTACT LENSE SOLUTION on the disc and carefully wiped the CD. I looked at the CD and I couldn't see the scratch at all. Put it in the CD player and it was as good as new. So... I had to test this again.

Years ago I found a copy of "Master Of Puppets" which I'm guessing someone chucked out of a car... I found it, case and inserts, in a parking lot. I saved it for the inserts. The thing was totally messed up and just about every song was effected. I again put a few drops of CONTACT LENSE SOLUTION on the CD and wiped it clean. It still had a few little marks on it, but when I put it in the player the whole thing played all the way through.

Not sure why I didn't remember to share this with everyone sooner... but I have now. I'm not saying it will work 100% of the time but it has worked everytime I have done it over the last 3 or 4 years. Give it a try, it seems to really clean up a CD. Especially works for minor scuffs... makes a CD look new.

Caution: Try at own risk. :)

Reading another thread reminded me of a little trick I discovered. One of my KIX CDs got a major scratch somehow and one song wouldn't play without skipping... I had a couple copies...so no big deal. I just couldn't bring myself to trash the CD so I tried something, which to my surprise, cured this problem. I put a couple of drops of my wife's CONTACT LENSE SOLUTION on the disc and carefully wiped the CD. I looked at the CD and I couldn't see the scratch at all. Put it in the CD player and it was as good as new. So... I had to test this again.

Years ago I found a copy of "Master Of Puppets" which I'm guessing someone chucked out of a car... I found it, case and inserts, in a parking lot. I saved it for the inserts. The thing was totally messed up and just about every song was effected. I again put a few drops of CONTACT LENSE SOLUTION on the CD and wiped it clean. It still had a few little marks on it, but when I put it in the player the whole thing played all the way through.

Not sure why I didn't remember to share this with everyone sooner... but I have now. I'm not saying it will work 100% of the time but it has worked everytime I have done it over the last 3 or 4 years. Give it a try, it seems to really clean up a CD. Especially works for minor scuffs... makes a CD look new.

Very strange but who cares if it works! :P Oh yeah, and whoever threw that Metallica cd out the window should be shot! :blink::P

Jarred

Any contact lense brand or do certain ones work better??

If this is a serious question... I prefer Bausch & Lomb for Sensitive Eyes. :) Of course that's just what I had at the house.

I'll be out at the store later on today so I'll be sure to pick up the 20 or so other brands so I can report back here. :P

Rob, give it a try... really seems to work. And besides, if the CD doesn't play you will not be any worse off then you are now.

~Dave~

PS: If this wasn't a serious question.... :2up:

One question I have is did this work on discs that you could actually see through the scratches if you held them up to a light or were the scratches not so bad? I have a couple I'd like to try it on (Smashed Gladys and Southgang) but those have deep scratches you can actually see light through.

Any contact lense brand or do certain ones work better??

If this is a serious question... I prefer Bausch & Lomb for Sensitive Eyes. :) Of course that's just what I had at the house.

I'll be out at the store later on today so I'll be sure to pick up the 20 or so other brands so I can report back here. :P

Rob, give it a try... really seems to work. And besides, if the CD doesn't play you will not be any worse off then you are now.

~Dave~

PS: If this wasn't a serious question.... :2up:

Completely 100% serious question my friend...

One question I have is did this work on discs that you could actually see through the scratches if you held them up to a light or were the scratches not so bad? I have a couple I'd like to try it on (Smashed Gladys and Southgang) but those have deep scratches you can actually see light through.

I believe if the scratch goes through the foil then it cannot be repaired as the foil carries the data so if it's scratched in the wrong place then it's fucked.

But if it's on the "silver" side and the scratch hasn't gone through the layers of plastic or whatever to reach the foil then there's a good chance it can be fixed. I sent a couple of CD's to a professional restorer, they shave off microns of the plastic layer to remove the damage. The only CD they couldn't fix was the one that had the foil corrupted (which out of the 3 was way and beyond the most expensive to replace...I'm surprised I found another copy)

I'll have to try the contact lens stuff.......the missus is gonna have to have dirty lenses lol.

One thing I found works as well if you want to clean your CD's is lens cleaner used for photographic lenses (you know...cameras), I use one called ROIR or is it Rior??? Gets fingerprints of children (and spouses) off a treat, I'll have to try it on a damaged CD next time I get one... maybe it's a similar kind of stuff to the contact lens cleaners.

Smashed Gladys is getting the ultimate re-surface soon... Wounded Bird will be re-issuing their Social Intercourse CD. :banana:

Smashed Gladys is getting the ultimate re-surface soon... Wounded Bird will be re-issuing their Social Intercourse CD. :banana:

Great news!

Very strange but who cares if it works! :P Oh yeah, and whoever threw that Metallica cd out the window should be shot! :blink::P

Jarred

Probably some disgruntled Napster fan...

Jarred

Probably some disgruntled Napster fan...

Probably St. Anger got him Angry :P

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna have to try this trick on the Alice In Chains FACELIFT disc I picked up at a thrift store a while back... it skips during the track "Bleed The Freak"....

I'm gonna have to try this trick on the Alice In Chains FACELIFT disc I picked up at a thrift store a while back... it skips during the track "Bleed The Freak"....

Best track on the album :tumbsup: (I.M.O.)

I always heard that toothpaste works really good! I just can't bring myself in doing that. My wife's c.d.'s are shot to hell and I don't think anything will help. I will give it a shot. I tell her not to bring them to work. She's a woman, she'll never listen to me. :doh:

You can actually see through some of her c.d.s.

Thanks Fellas! :tumbsup:

V1530984Ad.jpg

A video store where I occasionally rent dvds has a version of this CD/DVD cleaner that removes virtually all the scratches/scuffs from discs as long as they're not too deep. I'm surprised Staryder James hasn't bought one yet.

lol......... he or she could be a motley crue fannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn :)

Jarred