The true meaning of AOR

Faust

• My Little Pony

But we can't ignore that there is clearly a specific style and sound associated with the term "AOR." Just like Progressive Rock began as a term for Rock music that didn't follow the traditional format of the, then, current Rock scene, but now defines a specific style.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This -

Album-oriented rock (abbreviated AOR) is an American FM radio format focusing on album tracks by rock artists. AOR evolved from progressive rock radio in the mid-1970s, using research and formal programming to create an album rock format with greater commercial appeal.......etc

Therefore it concentrated on more of the commercial rock bands of the era like Foreigner, Styx, REO, Journey...etc etc

Hence when someone loosely refers to an AOR band it is generally meaning a style akin to those kinds of bands.

Pretty melodic verse chorus structure not heavy in nature with a scattering of keys

Ah soooo really the 'Adult' part is the bit I should ignore and 'Album oriented ROCK' or ' Album oriented RADIO' would be the best descriptive interchangeable terms depending on whether I'm thinking about the style of the music itself or how the music is being promoted

Ah soooo really the 'Adult' part is the bit I should ignore and 'Album oriented ROCK' or ' Album oriented RADIO' would be the best descriptive interchangeable terms depending on whether I'm thinking about the style of the music itself or how the music is being promoted

Yes. Wiki is actually quite interesting on this topic and gives a lot of history and how the stations evolved in the 70s.

• My Little Pony

This -

Album-oriented rock (abbreviated AOR) is an American FM radio format focusing on album tracks by rock artists. AOR evolved from progressive rock radio in the mid-1970s, using research and formal programming to create an album rock format with greater commercial appeal.......etc

Therefore it concentrated on more of the commercial rock bands of the era like Foreigner, Styx, REO, Journey...etc etc

Hence when someone loosely refers to an AOR band it is generally meaning a style akin to those kinds of bands.

Pretty melodic verse chorus structure not heavy in nature with a scattering of keys

<Posts a link, because he doesn't want to discuss the topic anymore.

Joins the conversation anyway.>

You make me laugh, Gleonard.

"Adult Oriented Rock" is a bogus term, created relatively recently (1990s) and applied to the melodic rock genre.

"AOR" as it originally was coined, meant "Album-Oriented Radio" and had its heyday in the 1970s and early 1980s. Since it was used most frequently during a period when Journey, Foreigner, Styx, etc. were at their peak, it became synonymous with that style of music, although that was not the intent.

During that time period it was not uncommon for radio stations to play ANY cut from an album, not just released singles like today. In fact many stations frequently would pay entire album sides, hence the term.

That really was the pinnacle of rock music on the radio, since DJs and station managers had the freedom to play anything they wanted, not just the singles that labels want shoved down people's throats. During that era people were exposed to a lot of unique songs, material that today wouldn't even be considered.

The parallel with today's internet radio stations is interesting...

-Dan

THIS I agree with 100%. Being 59 I grew up listening to the music of these era's. Play what they want and loving it. The best!! :D

This -

Can u put some effort in and make me laugh now and again ;)

• My Little Pony

This -

I've never been one to make others laugh, though.

Seems that the original meaning of AOR has been well defined here.

I'd suggest that when you hear the term AOR these days you don't think of the original meaning.
Seems to have changed somewhat.

This -

Quoted for truth. You're sensational at doing the opposite, though.

• My Little Pony

This -

I don't care what everyone here says about you, Geoffrey, I think you're alright. You always say the nicest things about me.

This -

I don't care what everyone here says about you, Geoffrey, I think you're alright. You always say the nicest things about me.

Don't you never ever say I doesn't. I feel that I was sent here to compliment you and make you happy to be here. I hope I do my job well.

one would think that "A" would stand for Arena? That would make sense because a lot of it is Arena Rock?

Album and Adult are less logical to me.

Why is it less logical?

Forget Adult that is wrong.

It is album orientated radio.

'

one would think that "A" would stand for Arena? That would make sense because a lot of it is Arena Rock?
Album and Adult are less logical to me.

Why is it less logical?

Forget Adult that is wrong.

It is album orientated radio.

'Arena oriented rock', another A to add to the mix (and confusion). Ah, and the 'radio' v 'rock' bit too. I think I will just think of it as 'big' music from now on