Aussie Bands

Jez

Right - Seeing as Geoff has mercilessly being plugging the excellent Roxus - Nightstreet disc, I was wondering about anyone else's opinion on some other quality Aussie bands.

I have been spinning De Mont -'Body Language' this morning and definately prefer it above the Roxus disc, generally more consistent for me. Also a band of real merit is Noiseworks with the 'S/T' and especially the humungous 'Touch' album. Rick Price and his 'Heaven Knows' disc is another of my faves although maybe a little 'Lite' for some.

Jimmy Barnes - Freight Train Heart (thanx for the reminder TIM) is also another mighty fine disc as well.

And of course not forgetting one of the best bands ever to come from the land of 'Oz' that being the mighty Rose Tattoo. I don't expect Geoff will like 'The Tatts' very much (although I may be wrong)???

Opinions on any/All of the above.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My list of best ever Aussie releases would look something like this:

1. Roxus - 'Nightstreet'

2. BB Steal - 'On the edge'

3. Teargas - 'Crazy' EP

4. Southern Sons - 'Nothing but the truth'

5. Candy Harlots - 'Five wicked ways'

6. Empire - s/t

7. 1927 - 'Ish'

8. Rick Price - 'Heaven knows'

9. Southern Sons - s/t

10. Wildfire - s/t

11. DeMont - 'Body Language'

12. Ice Tiger - 'Love n' crime'

13. Safire - s/t

14. Empire - 'The Power'

They're pretty much the only Aussie albums I would ever bother mentioning and the only ones I really care for. Artists like Shannon Noll and David Franj have some great tracks too, I guess. 'God only knows' by David Franj is pretty much as good as it gets, IMO.

Anyway, Rose Tattoo, Noiseworks (aside from the stunning 'Take me back' and cool 'No lies' from the debut... and 'RIP' is also a good song) and Jimmy Barnes (:lol: I'm pretty sure you'll get a good laugh out of most Aussies for mentioning him :)) really don't do anything for me at all.

It's funny, there's not a place in the world I'd rather live - I adore Australia, but it's easily one of the weakest musical nations in the world, IMO. There is a severe lack of really good hard rock albums from here. :(

I have been spinning De Mont -'Body Language' this morning and definately prefer it above the Roxus disc, generally more consistent for me.

I gotta say, mate, I couldn't disagree with that statement more if tried. To me, the only good tracks on the DeMont disc are 'In my dreams' and 'Close to the edge' and the rest is filler. As I say, IMO. And also IMO the only so-so track on the Roxus disc is the title track. Therefore, I think Roxus are 100% more consistent (and better)... and I honestly wouldn't dream of comparing the 2 discs. Oh well... we've had a good run mate, but I guess our differing opinions had to rear their heads again some time soon. :D

I left DE MONT off too. I just love "In My Dreams", amazing tune, but just too much filler for me. I never cared too much for the likes of BB Steal or Empire either. One or two embarrassing discs in my list, but I don't care!

1. SOUTHERN SONS - Nothing But the Truth

2. RICK SPRINGFIELD - Rock of Life

3. RICK PRICE - Heaven Knows

4. JIMMY BARNES - Freight Train Heart

5. SAVAGE GARDEN - Affirmation

6. ROXUS - Nightstreet

7. RICK SPRINGFIELD - Karma

8. SHANNON NOLL - Lift

9. CHOIRBOYS - Midnight Sun

10. AMONG THIEVES - S/T

ICE TIGER & the 2nd RICK PRICE album would be next in my list...

Yeah, I noticed Rick Springfield is Aussie too... I didn't even know that. I'd heard that but sort of forgotten about it. I would definately put his excellent 'Shockangerdenial' album pretty high on my list if I included him. Among Thieves? Wow mate, that really surprised me. I thought that disc was dreadful... so far out of the realms of hard rock, let alone even rock. Rick Price, Jimmy Barnes, and Savage Garden before Roxus??? You can be a cruel man sometimes, Tim. :P

Oh, and you like 'Tambourine mountain'? That's a first. :lol: His last album with 'Where in the world' had a couple of good songs, but for me Rick Price was a one trick pony. 'Where are you now' from the bonus disc with the debut is also excellent.

I think the only two Aussie bands I have in my collection are AC/DC and The Poor. I used to have a Mortal Sin tape around somewhere too but I'm damned if I can find it now.

Yeah, I noticed Rick Springfield is Aussie too... I didn't even know that. I'd heard that but sort of forgotten about it. I would definately put his excellent 'Shockangerdenial' album pretty high on my list if I included him. Among Thieves? Wow mate, that really surprised me. I thought that disc was dreadful... so far out of the realms of hard rock, let alone even rock. Rick Price, Jimmy Barnes, and Savage Garden before Roxus??? You can be a cruel man sometimes, Tim. :P

Oh, and you like 'Tambourine mountain'? That's a first. :lol: His last album with 'Where in the world' had a couple of good songs, but for me Rick Price was a one trick pony. 'Where are you now' from the bonus disc with the debut is also excellent.

Yeah AMONG THIEVES are a bit like a poor-mans INXS, but - with all due respect - you're getting into the ordinary stuff if you try & do more than a Top 5 of Aussie albums. :lol: Rick Price was indeed a one-trick pony, "Tambourine Mountain" has more filler than one of Subway's new 2-foot triple decker sandwiches. And "Another Place" has about 6 or 7 ballads. ZZZzzzz. Mind you, I noticed you included that 1927 album which is decent but pretty lifeless?

Kings of the Sun. Great band.

I agree, I was going to mention them as well. I have the "Full Frontal Attack" CD, which used to spin quite often.

OK - Here's my Aussie Top 10:

Noiseworks - Touch

Rose Tattoo - Rock 'n' Roll Outlaw

Rick Springfield - Living In Oz

Southern Sons - Nothing But The Truth

De Mont - Body Language

Roxus - Nightstreet

Jimmy Barnes - Freight Train Heart

Rick Price - Heaven Knows

Noiseworks - Noiseworks

Southern Sons - Southern Sons

I left AC/DC out as there would be at least 4 in there as well - Back In Black, Highway To Hell, Let There Be Rock, Powerage etc

ive owned about 90% of the aussie releases on HeavyHarmonies, including all the indies, but most of which ive sold on which doesnt say much for them. My favourite albums are(in no order)

BB Steal - on the edge

Roxus - nightstreet

Choirboys - midnight sun

Teargas - crazy

Square One - supersonic

Candy Harlots - five wicked ways

Invertigo - forum

1927 - ish

The next lesser group would consist of:

Baby Animals - s/t

Southern Sons - nothing but the truth

Chocolate Starfish - s/t

BB Steal - Resurrection

Choirboys - big bad noise

Firesign - the race against time

Empire - the power

Teramaze - tears to dust

Roxus - live

in power metal, ive always liked Black Majesty.

ive yet to track down De Mont, Safire, Empire - s/t and 21 Guns though.

pretty dissappointing - i didnt think we had heaps of bands, but always thought we had quite a few decent releases that most people were not aware of... we havnt really got much at all after thinking more about it. Lots of indies that arnt that great... (and theres even more out there which arnt listed on here, but nothing of great note)

some of the best in my opinion...

Choirboys - Big Bad Noise (anthem-driven hard rock)

Roxus - Live EP (melodic rock / hair metal)

Teargas - Crazy (melodic rock / hair metal)

The Deadthings - Who Killed Holly Would (glam-sleaze)

Candy Harlots - 5 Wicked Ways (glam-sleaze)

Celafain Vain - s/t (bubblegum glam)

Sebasrocekts - s/t (glam-punk)

Voodoo Lovecats - Children Shouldn't Play.... (glam-pink)

are you feeling all pretty today Lindsay?? ;)

ive seen Hell City Glamours a few times, had the ep's, but they werent that great. i think one decent song. other then being something to do by going to some dodgy pub to see them when bored, they werent anything special.

just my thoughts :)

but at least we can be proud of having some of the worst bands to get on to HH.

Wild Street

Circus Zombies

Mantissa

and the all time shocker:

Pearls & Swine

now thats something to be proud of

How about

devils in heaven - say a prayer

devils in heaven - liberation

Those two are 2 of the best melodic hard rock releases ever.

How about

David Whitney - s/t ( smooth aor ala mark free, yes he's the singer from Devils In Heaven )

axcel - incoporated ( straight up hard rock )

just strait - s/t ( straight up hard rock )

blue ruby - s/t ( keyboard saturated aor ala Journey / Kansas )

zambelis - s/t ( mhr along the lines of the first 2 Giant albums )

hostage - poor n famous ( hair metal ala warrant / trixter )

Eclipse - s/t ( 2 track e.p but kick ass mhr ala femme fatale / saraya / witness )

crucial kick - s/t ( christian mhr ala guardian / styper )

oh yeah, there's more :)

Kings of the Sun. Great band.

Never got into these guys at all.

Yeah AMONG THIEVES are a bit like a poor-mans INXS, but - with all due respect - you're getting into the ordinary stuff if you try & do more than a Top 5 of Aussie albums. :lol: Rick Price was indeed a one-trick pony, "Tambourine Mountain" has more filler than one of Subway's new 2-foot triple decker sandwiches. And "Another Place" has about 6 or 7 ballads. ZZZzzzz. Mind you, I noticed you included that 1927 album which is decent but pretty lifeless?

5? I must admit I quite like every album on my healthy list of 14 above... but Among Thieves wouldn't even get a sniff of that list. I hate INXS, so to give poor man's INXS a go would be criminal. As for Rick Price, agree 100% with you there. The 1927 album is as lite as it gets, but I can't deby the fact that the first 5 tracks are excellent. I love 'That's when I think of you' especially. Yeah, it's soft as hell but a nice little disc, IMO.

ive owned about 90% of the aussie releases on HeavyHarmonies, including all the indies, but most of which ive sold on which doesnt say much for them.

pretty dissappointing - i didnt think we had heaps of bands, but always thought we had quite a few decent releases that most people were not aware of... we havnt really got much at all after thinking more about it. Lots of indies that arnt that great... (and theres even more out there which arnt listed on here, but nothing of great note)

With you there, Matt. I think I've owned pretty much every Aussie indie there is, and they all disappeared just as quick. What's the A band who's name sounds like Axxis? They're highly sought after. Guns of Fire are crap, Big Talk (is that their name?) were actually quite good, but I got a good trade out of it.

As I said, I think we have about 14 good CDs, but it's a pretty piss-poor effort for an entire country. Pretty sad actually. :(

Voodoo Lovecats - Children Shouldn't Play.... (glam-pink)

I love the "hype" surrounding this one - it's got me some good CDs. I personally think they're one of the worst bands I've ever heard (trashy punk to my ears, no trace of the glam I know) but overseas traders used to love this one. I found about 5 copies once and got some of the best CDs in my collection in return when I traded with my buddy in Canada. He knew what he was getting, but he was happy with having the rare Aussie discs, probably for other trades. Suited me just fine. :)

Nodody's mentioned Nobody's Fool yet either. They're okay.

oops, glam-punk :)

I forgot Hell City Glamours.

For anyone that likes bluesy glam-sleaze. Think a combination of early Faster Pussycat, D.A.D and Hanoi Rocks.

Are they the guys who opened for Brides of Destruction a few years ago? I think so. They seemed okay but the sound in the place was so shit I couldn't tell what was happening.

In regards to modern acts, love Motor Ace (first 2 albums and EP) and The Getaway Plan sound really good too.

How about

devils in heaven - say a prayer

devils in heaven - liberation

Those two are 2 of the best melodic hard rock releases ever.

Oh my sweet christ!!!! How could I forget these guys??? I agree. These guys would have given Harem Scarem a run for their money. A truly excellent band. Put that at number 2 on my list, behind Roxus and ahead of BB Steal. LOVE those guys. Perfect melodic hard rock.

David Whitney - s/t ( smooth aor ala mark free, yes he's the singer from Devils In Heaven ) - I have to check this one out. Where can I find this one???

axcel - incoporated ( straight up hard rock ) - that's the A band I was talking about. Not a fan, but good trading material.

blue ruby - s/t ( keyboard saturated aor ala Journey / Kansas ) - Blue RUBY! Not Big Talk... this is the other one I was referring too. Actually not a bad EP... couple of really excellent songs.

are you feeling all pretty today Lindsay?? ;)

ive seen Hell City Glamours a few times, had the ep's, but they werent that great. i think one decent song. other then being something to do by going to some dodgy pub to see them when bored, they werent anything special.

just my thoughts :)

I really like their sleazy pub-rock style. Right up my alley.

I would agreee they are better live than on disc. Excellent on disc, sensational on stage.

I prefere sleaze-rock to melodic rock, which is why i probably find that one appealing.

I think that band Geooff is thinking of is Axcel.

I had theor cd a while back (years now). Was really drnched in keyboards from memory so I tradeed it away.

Voodoo Lovecats...

Their demos are really glam, the Children EP is a blend punk with definite glam influence (IMO), whilst their last EP was total trashy punk. I love the demos and the Children disc.

Rick Price - Rick Springfield ... yeah great stuff

Anyone remember a band called Bengal Tigers who released the Metal Fetish mini album?

I still like that a hell of a lot, wish I'd grabbed their album In the Blood.

I'll check when I get home. I found the CD for a $6 in Fremantle when I was there last year. I'm sure it was the Bengal Tigers... will check for you when I get home mate.

I think it's Painclinic? Or something like that.....I'd totally forgotten that one. Dunno which came first though. Never seemed to see the CD's/albums over here in the U.K. except for the E.P. which came out on Heavy Metal Worldwide over here.

I only picked it up because the bassist was called Steve Tyler, but it's a neat little E.P. The track Break Me is great. I'm gonna have to give it a spin when I get up tomorrow.