Mike Dimeo Leaves Riot

heaven&hell

I'm sure I'm the only one around here that's upset about this and I'm pretty sure I'm the only big Riot fan on this board but this news breaks my heart.

I never owned a Masterplan cd but I'll have to follow them now due to Mike's involvment.

For anyone that don't know what kind of voice Mike Dimeo has then do yourslef a favor and pick up any of the last 6 Riot cds especially the newest one "Army of One".

This is from Melodicrock.com:

This just in from vocalist Mike DiMeo: "In response to all the mail I have been receiving about my status with Riot I have had many great years with the band, and I am tremendously proud of all the work I have done with them, especially Army of One, but at this point in my life and career, I prefer to forge ahead with a new path musically. I look forward to a new creative beginning with Masterplan, who are an incredibly talented and motivated group of guys!! I wish Riot the best of luck in the future and will always consider them brothers......thank you, Mike DiMeo."

Masterplan are currently gearing up for an extensive European tour with Saxon kicking off in the UK in February.

This also from Melodicrock.com:

Masterplan will release their first recording under the new line up on January 26, with the single Lost And Gone due to hit stores. The song comes from the new recently completed studio album titled MK2, which will be released late in February in Europe.

The band will tour from February, with the following 2 dates announced so far:

Feb. 23 - GER Bremen, Aladin (support Mob Rules)

Feb. 26 - GER Hamburg, Headbangers Ballroom (support Mob Rules)

Masterplan below - from left to right: Roland Grapow (Guitar), Jan S. Eckert (Bass), Mike Terrana (Drums), Axel Mackenrott (Keyboards) and Mike DiMeo (Vocals).

masterplan-2007.jpg

Not a huge Masterplan fan but I gotta say Mike's got some big-ass shoes to fill cuz the Jorn Lande fanbase was HUGE for this band.

They also just replaced Uli Kusch (drummer, ex Helloween) with Mike Terrana (Rage), so it's practically a whole new band, maybe they should change the name to "Roland Grapow and Friends" :P

Wes, i think you will find there is a few Riot fans here and i am certainly one of them :tumbsup: .

Any others want to put their hand up to being Riot fans ?????????????

Wes, i think you will find there is a few Riot fans here and i am certainly one of them :tumbsup: .

I'm glad I'm not alone then. :)

Have you heard the new album?

Have a cdr of it and will get the original soon. It is a very good album and a must for anyone who likes Riot.

I would have it just slightly behind "Through The Storm" but i think a couple more listens and i will hold in the same regard. :drink:

Have a cdr of it and will get the original soon. It is a very good album and a must for anyone who likes Riot.

I would have it just slightly behind "Through The Storm" but i think a couple more listens and i will hold in the same regard. :drink:

I didn't think it was as good as "Through the Storm" upon 1st listen, but upon more listens I think it's just as good and almost just as good as my fav Dimeo Riot cd "Sons of Society".

I'm pleased to hear you guys rate this guy's vocals, as he sure does have some big shoes to fill. Jorn's awesome powerful vocals just made this great, but hopefully he's busy making the second ALLEN/LANDE album & the ex-RIOT guy is good enough to keep MASTERPLAN at the level they're currently at.

Love the original RIOT w/Guy Speranza (r.i.p). Dimeo is just ok in my book, not really a singers singer, i'm really surprised they didn't do a more expanded search for a more faceted singer. I wish MP the best of luck but with out Jorn Lande i'm afraid they are doomed to be forgotten soon!

Love the original RIOT w/Guy Speranza (r.i.p). Dimeo is just ok in my book, not really a singers singer, i'm really surprised they didn't do a more expanded search for a more faceted singer. I wish MP the best of luck but with out Jorn Lande i'm afraid they are doomed to be forgotten soon!

I think Dimeo is great vocalist and while it pisses me off that he's leaving Riot it's great that he'll recieve some much deserved attention for being with Masterplan.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TungurKnivur

I guess my nick kinda reveals who my fav singer is :whistle: , but Dimeo also has a great voice and is a great vocalist, and my heart took a jump of joy after hearing the promo of Masterplan - MK II. I had my doubts about it prehand, but those doubts are totally gone now. Masterplan will not be taken off my shopping list anytime soon.

jorn lande is one of my fave vocalists to,but after hearing some masterplan new stuff am impressed and i hope everything goes well for them. ;)

• 1 year later...

Well Dimeo in Masterplan didn't last long.

Rumors are flying that Jorn is returning but nothing has been anounced and according Grapow they're not looking for a vocalist which means they've found one, whoever it is.

Vocalist Mike DiMeo (RIOT, THE LIZARDS) has confirmed that he has parted ways with MASTERPLAN, the melodic metal band led by former HELLOWEEN guitarist Roland Grapow. Mike writes on his MySpace page, "I have nothing but profound respect for them and continue to wish them nothing but success in the future."

Although MASTERPLAN has yet to announce a replacement for DiMeo, Grapow wrote in a November 5, 2008 online posting that the band had commenced the recording sessions for a new studio album, which is tentatively expected in May/June via AFM Records. He said, "Axel [Mackenrott, keyboards] and Jan [s. Eckert, bass] are working on more new song material in Hamburg in Axel's new studio. Meanwhile i'm writing/recording guitars and arranging songs in my studio in [slovakia]. We have 10 songs written so far and we'll still write more material parallel to the recordings. We are very happy with the new song material so far and we are sure it will be a killer album!!!" Roland also added that there will "hopefully [be] a big surprise" coming soon.

DiMeo, regarded as one of the finest vocalists in the heavy rock scene, first came to prominence after joining the legendary New York City band RIOT prior to the recording of 1994's "Nightbreaker". He went on to record six studio albums and one live album with the group before departing to join MASTERPLAN for the recording of "MK II" in 2006.

DiMeo in August 2008 announced the formation of a new project called TENPOINT alongside Steve Seigerman (guitar), Chris Kozikowski (bass) and Doug Bohn (drums).

The only Riot I have is THUNDERSTEEL (thanks to Wes)... good stuff... had "The Privilege of Power" at one time but didn't dig it so I ditched it.

Rumors are flying that Jorn is returning but nothing has been anounced and according Grapow they're not looking for a vocalist which means they've found one, whoever it is.

Vocalist Mike DiMeo (RIOT, THE LIZARDS) has confirmed that he has parted ways with MASTERPLAN, the melodic metal band led by former HELLOWEEN guitarist Roland Grapow. Mike writes on his MySpace page, "I have nothing but profound respect for them and continue to wish them nothing but success in the future."

Although MASTERPLAN has yet to announce a replacement for DiMeo, Grapow wrote in a November 5, 2008 online posting that the band had commenced the recording sessions for a new studio album, which is tentatively expected in May/June via AFM Records. He said, "Axel [Mackenrott, keyboards] and Jan [s. Eckert, bass] are working on more new song material in Hamburg in Axel's new studio. Meanwhile i'm writing/recording guitars and arranging songs in my studio in [slovakia]. We have 10 songs written so far and we'll still write more material parallel to the recordings. We are very happy with the new song material so far and we are sure it will be a killer album!!!" Roland also added that there will "hopefully [be] a big surprise" coming soon.

DiMeo, regarded as one of the finest vocalists in the heavy rock scene, first came to prominence after joining the legendary New York City band RIOT prior to the recording of 1994's "Nightbreaker". He went on to record six studio albums and one live album with the group before departing to join MASTERPLAN for the recording of "MK II" in 2006.

DiMeo in August 2008 announced the formation of a new project called TENPOINT alongside Steve Seigerman (guitar), Chris Kozikowski (bass) and Doug Bohn (drums).

I actually liked Dimeo in Masterplan...

I actually liked Dimeo in Masterplan...

Me too, but I'm biased since Mike is one of my fav vocalists.

But I did think that the cd was excellent and was just playing it a couple of days ago.

:tumbsup: I'm a fan...

There's not to many of us and I'm one of the few that prefered the newer stuff with Dimeo. :tumbsup:

A buddy of mine got me into Riot when Fire Down Under came out. I still think that was their best, but have liked all of their line ups. One I haven't seen mentioned here is Restless Breed with the great Rhett Forrester. A little more "bluesy" but some great songs and raw energy.

I would also rate Privilege of Power and Brethern of the Long House very highly. I would also like to say that I think Riot were one of the few bands that were able to change singers/styles over the years and still release high quality music. They never seemed like they were jumping on bandwagons or trying to be something they were not. Mark Reale has got to be one of the most underrated guitarists around.

A buddy of mine got me into Riot when Fire Down Under came out. I still think that was their best, but have liked all of their line ups. One I haven't seen mentioned here is Restless Breed with the great Rhett Forrester. A little more "bluesy" but some great songs and raw energy.

I would also rate Privilege of Power and Brethern of the Long House very highly. I would also like to say that I think Riot were one of the few bands that were able to change singers/styles over the years and still release high quality music. They never seemed like they were jumping on bandwagons or trying to be something they were not. Mark Reale has got to be one of the most underrated guitarists around.

:agree: on all the statements above.

Mark Real is very talented, loved the original RIOT w/ Guy Speranza, not so much the latter versions. You should check out Reals band WESTWORLD with TNTs Tony Harnell. Good stuff.

Oh yeah I liked all 3 cds from Westworld, especially the debut and the follow up "Skin". :tumbsup:

I thought I'd read somwhere recently they were gonna do another one.

dimeo was also into an 80's band which appeared with one great track in one obscure compilation from l.island(sorry, no names, coz i'm searching for this vinyl)....dimeo, didn't remember anything as usual with cases like this when i asked him the last time me met(when he opened with the lizards for g.hughes)....then we exchanged emails and i sent him this track.... he confirmed it and he promised to find me a copy of it.....lets see.....patience is my middle name....