Top 5 rarest cd's in your collection

There's probably one or several threads like this, but what the hell . :)

I'm intrested to know which the 5 rarest cd's in your collection are and what you payed for them (and also where you bought them, if you remember!). I'm not one of those big time collectors who spends a fortune on eBay for certain cd's; mainly because I can't afford it. So mostly I tend to look in used cd shops, and other less-known websites for oop cd's. This is of course a thrill because you know that sooner or later the ocassional rare gem will turn up. :P

So anyway, here's my top 5:

1. Karo-Heavy Birthday ($50, tradera.se)

2. Vengeance - We Have Ways To Make You Rock in original pressing ($20, Sweden Rock Festival '04)

3. Madison - Best In Show, japan cd ($42, eBay)

4. FM - Indiscreet ($13, tradera.se)

5. Any of the following (don't know which one's the most scarce...):

Giuffria - Silk+Steel in original pressing ($25, eBay)

Lionheart - Hot Tonight ($18, record fair)

Mama's Boys - Growing Up The Hard Way ($9, used cd shop)

Signal - Loud & Clear ($20, used cd shop)

Skagarack - S/T ($25, eBay)

Veto - Carthago, scratch records ($6, record fair)

Ok, that's more like a top 10... but you get the idea. I'm looking forward to see what you've found!

Cheers

:drink:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a couple of rarities from my collection...

Complete SKAGARACK collection X 2, all in original pressings.

Complete FATE collection, all in original pressing (except the debut which is the Rip Tide reissue)

UNRULY CHILD debut

EYES debut

ROKO debut (signed by all members of the band) + "Open Invitation"

M.ILL.ION - "No. 1" (original)

1ST AVENUE - "Tears N Triumph"

LINE UP - "Lucky One" (original)

FROZEN EYES debut (original)

KEEL - "Keel 1987"

SATERIA - "Crash Bang Boom"

JANE DOE - "Zero To Hero"

SYRE - "It Ain't Pretty Being Easy"

VALENTINE - "S/T"

HURRICANE - "Slave To The Thrill" (nude cover)

TIMELESS HALL - "S/T"

KUNI - "Lookin' For Action"

SILOAM - "Sweet Destiny"

BOULEVARD - "S/T" + "Into The Streets"

Well, those are the ones the spring to mind but there's plenty more...I'll return :P

Hmm....rarities....

Black Roses Soundtrack - Got it a long time ago, no idea how much I paid

Hurricane - Slave to the Thrill (banned cover) $5 at used cd shop

Vain - No Respect - From Ebay a few years ago...I think $15 or so.....

Laos - We Want It - $40 Ebay

Witness - S/T - $35 Ebay

Vinnie Vincent Invasion - All Systems Go (Japan) - No idea

Hurricane - Take What You Want $3.00 (still got the sticker on it)

Stage Dolls - Commandos $6.00 used CD Shop

Vain - No Respect (Original) $8.00 (also still has sticker on jewel case)

Stone Fury - Burns like a Star (on Point Music Label) 6.00 used cd shop

Desperado - Bloodied, but Unbowed $40.00 Ebay (Wanted it Bad) By the way that is the most I have ever payed for a cd.

I was pretty lucky in that one of my good friends owned a Record store and was the first in the area to redeem used cds for cash. He saved out any cd he thought I might like. I would go into the store hand him my paycheck on Thursday and walk out with loads of cd goodness. He closed his shop about 6 years ago because the internet was killing his business

Probably the rarest CDs in my collection are

1. Simon Says- ... Spin This

2. Know Illusion- Back on the Streets

3. Rick Springfield- Beautiful Feelings

4. Frank Stallone- s/t

5. Winter's Reign- The Beginning

Runners up:

Angel-Sinful

Axe- Living on the Edge JAP

Con Funk Shun- Electric Lady

Flyweil- s/t

French Kiss- s/t

KK Wilde- Rock-n-Roll

New Tattoo- No Bones About It

Marilyn Martin- s/t

Platinum Blonde- Standing on the Edge

Zahalan

Refugee- Burning From the Inside Out

The Tubes- Young and Rich

Keith Urban- s/t (1991 Australian press.)

Billy Squier- Signs of Life

Peter Wolf- Lights Out

John Waite- Mask of Smiles JAP

I don't collect stuff just for their rarity vlue, just stuff I like, so most listed below a few of you will probably have. Quite a few of the old Jap cd's are impossible to find now, so values increase all the time. Here's a few of mine - all have gone for biggish bucks on ebay at some time.

.38 Special - Special Delivery

Airkraft - S/T

Airplay - S/T (Jap)

Alcatrazz - No Parole/ Live Sentence/Disturbing/ Dangerous (All Jap)

Angel - Sinful

Arcangel - S/T (Jap)

Atlantic - Power

Axe - S/T/ Living On The Edge

Beau Coup - Born & Raised

Beau Geste - S/T

Big Talk - Time Of Dreams

Blackjack - S/T/ Worlds Apart (2on1)

Bridge 2 Far - S/T

Stan Bush & Barrage - S/T

China Sky - S/T

Cobra - First Strike

Craaft - Second Honeymoon

Dear Mr. President - S/T

Tommy Denander - Skeleton/ Limited Access

Diving For Pearls - S/T (Original)

Dream Police - S/T

Echolyn - Suffocating The Bloom

Eyes - S/T/ Windows Of The Soul

FM - Indiscreet

Giuffria - S/T (Jap Original)

Haywire - Bad Boys (Jap)

Jojo - S/T

Marc Jordan -Talking Through Pictures

Journey - Dream After Dream (Jap)

Lionheart - Hot Tonight (Jap)

Benny Mardones - Never Run Never Hide

Marillion - Marillionrochester

Eric Martin Band - Sucker For A Pretty Face

Stan Meissner - Dangerous Games/ Windows To Light

New England - s/t (Jap)

Only Child - S/T (Original)

Outrider - No Way Out

Jeff Paris - Race To Paradise

Point Blank - On A Roll (Jap)

Roko - S/T (Autographed)

Romeo's Daughter - S/T

Michael Sadler - Back Where You Belong (Autographed)

Sabu - Heartbreak

Saraya - S/T

Schon/Hammer - Untold Passion/ Here To Stay (Jap)

Shark Island - Law & Order (Jap)

Tommy Shaw - Girls With Guns/ Ambition

Skagarack - S/T/Hungry For The Game

Mark Spiro - Care Of My Soul

Spy - Spy (Jap)

Van Stephenson - Righteous Anger/ Suspicious Heart

Time Gallery - s/t/ Kaleidoscope

Tradia - Trade Winds

Trillion - S/T/ Clear Approach (Jap)

Judie Tzuke - Shoot The Moon

Urgent - Cast The First Stone

White Lion - Fight To Survive

Witness - S/T

Wrabit - Wrough 'n Wready/ Tracks/ West Side Kid

Ya Ya - II

Here's a couple of rarities from my collection...

Complete SKAGARACK collection X 2, all in original pressings.

Complete FATE collection, all in original pressing (except the debut which is the Rip Tide reissue)

UNRULY CHILD debut

EYES debut

ROKO debut

M.ILL.ION - "No. 1" (original)

1ST AVENUE - "Tears N Triumph"

LINE UP - "Lucky One" (original)

FROZEN EYES debut (original)

KEEL - "Keel 1987"

SATERIA - "Crash Bang Boom"

JANE DOE - "Zero To Hero"

SYRE - "It Ain't Pretty Being Easy"

VALENTINE - "S/T"

HURRICANE - "Slave To The Thrill" (nude cover)

Well, those are the ones the spring to mind but there's plenty more...I'll return  :P

Don't have that much. I usually don't and haven't paid anything more than $15 (well, one time, for a Vinnie Vincent Remastered Version. Don't know anything yet about collecting rare stuffs then) for a used one. But about that 1st Avenue "Tears and Triumph", saw that still sealed for less than a dollar. Said less than a dollar 'coz it was from the Philippines. Maybe some of you collectors will consider that like a Russian-pressed-Not-for-Resale-Outside-of-Russia kind of CD. But its still a factory-pressed, silver-backed CD. Got a Tindrum "Cool, Calm... " exactly like that. For P15 and that can be, who knows?, 30 cents converted to dollar? BUT I'm not cheapening anyone's collection. Just my thought. PEACE!!!

Most of my rare stuff is on vinyl (or was, I recently sold Diamond Head - Lightning to the nations signed by the full band original private pressing for £150 and I got it for free plus Wnters Reign - the beginning CD I picked up for £15 very very recently and sold it on for £70).

I had a quick look at my CD'S and there's bits and bobs that I think would sell easy for more than I paid (original ArcAngel ...Angel e.t.c.)but I really don't pay such close attention as most of them I would never sell anyway. The ones I know would go for a fair bit after a quick look..

Aerosmith - Basico (5 track live E.P. released Spain only with initial copies of Big Ones...unreleased live tracks done for a radio station) £5 ebay seen it go for £50+ on occassion.

Ship of Fools - Forget the World/Out There Somewhere cost £25 probably get around £70

Porcupine Tree - XM (1.2 ) cost £12 go for around £50++

Porcupine Tree - XM2 cost £14 - watch it's price rise

Barbieri/Bowness - Flame cost £13 have no idea ... silly money to the right person.

Device - 22b3 original Chrysalis issue bought for £13 maybe ... dunno as it has been rerelased on another label since

UFO - Werewolves of London getting very hard to find seen it go for £40 cost me 11.99 when it came out.

UFO - Regenerator varies I sold a spare unopened copy for £35 but again around £12 when bought.

Vain - No Respect original Island release

John Waite - Mask of Smiles original EMI Japan release used to go for dumb money on ebay ...BUT YOU CANNOT SELL CLASS!!!!

Head East - A Different Kind of Crazy £15.99 probably go for around £30 - £40

Icon - An Even More Perfect Union signed by Dan Wexler...dunno how much it would go for

Beatnik Beatch - s/t (pre Jellyfish band) cost £7 get around £30 for the CD but I have the original At the Zula Pool on Vinyl on Industrial records and blue vinyl and apparently that's worth quite a bit.

No-Man - Lovesighs/Love Blows and Love Cries (2 on 1) £13 probably nearing the £40 mark on ebay

Ozric Tentacles - Ethereal Ceral Box set - cost £40 probaly go for between £70 - £100+

Aerosmith - Pandora's Toys ltd wooden case edition..dunno seen it at eil.com for £150 but probably cheaper on the Bay.

Continuum - s/t Steven Wilson out of P.Tree/No - man anything related to him especially ltd editions like this (1000 copies) go thru the roof.

A quick look ... not definative and another long boring post from yours truly :crazy:

This will be tough since about half of my collection could be considered rare by most. Here it goes anyway.....In no particular order,

1. Keel - The Right To Rock (Original release from Japan)

2. Stryper - The Yellow & Black Attack (Original Release From Japan w/ Winter Wonderland & a different cover)

3. Child's Play - Long Way

4. The First Three Hurricane cd's Japan w/ OBI's

5. Icon - Right Between the Eyes (Japan w/ obi)

Just to name a few.

JL

Most of my rare stuff is on vinyl (or was, I recently sold Diamond Head - Lightning to the nations signed by the full band original private pressing for £150 and I got it for free plus Wnters Reign - the beginning CD I picked up for £15 very very recently and sold it on for £70).

I had a quick look at my CD'S and there's bits and bobs that I think would sell easy for more than I paid (original ArcAngel ...Angel e.t.c.)but I really don't pay such close attention as most of them I would never sell anyway. The ones I know would go for a fair bit after a quick look..

Aerosmith - Basico (5 track live E.P. released Spain only with initial copies of Big Ones...unreleased live tracks done for a radio station) £5 ebay seen it go for £50+ on occassion.

Ship of Fools -  Forget the World/Out There Somewhere cost £25 probably get around £70

Barbieri/Bowness - Flame cost £13 have no idea ... silly money to the right person.

Device - 22b3 original Chrysalis issue bought for £13 maybe ... dunno as it has been rerelased on another label since

UFO - Werewolves of London getting very hard to find seen it go for £40 cost me 11.99 when it came out.

UFO - Regenerator varies I sold a spare unopened copy for £35 but again around £12 when bought.

John Waite - Mask of Smiles original EMI Japan release used to go for dumb money on ebay ...BUT YOU CANNOT SELL CLASS!!!!

Icon - An Even More Perfect Union signed by Dan Wexler...dunno how much it would go for

Beatnik Beatch - s/t (pre Jellyfish band) cost £7 get around £30 for the CD but I have the original At the Zula Pool on Vinyl on Industrial records and blue vinyl and apparently that's worth quite a bit.

No-Man - Lovesighs/Love Blows and Love Cries (2 on 1) £13 probably nearing the £40 mark on ebay

Ozric Tentacles - Ethereal Ceral Box set - cost £40 probaly go for between £70 - £100+

Aerosmith - Pandora's Toys ltd wooden case edition..dunno seen it at eil.com for £150 but probably cheaper on the Bay.

Continuum - s/t Steven Wilson out of P.Tree/No - man anything related to him especially ltd editions like this (1000 copies) go thru the roof.

A quick look ... not definative and another long boring post from yours truly  :crazy:

Hey Nick, you Icon cd goes for $40-$50 on Ebay. Worth keeping instead, I think. Good stuff.......

Later

JL

Ship of Fools -  Forget the World/Out There Somewhere cost £25 probably get around £70

A quick look ... not definative and another long boring post from yours truly  :crazy:

Nick

I have the No Man -Loveblows/Lovecries 2 dics and very excellent it is aswell - didn't know it was worth that much. I also have the Barbieri/Bowness - Flame cd aswell which I really like. Quality stuff all round.

Hmm... don't really know where to start with this post, i've been collecting (luckily) since 1987. I guess the following are quite rare.

2am - When every second counts (£1! a long time ago).

Briar - Crown of thorns (Jap w/obi)

The Now - Overnight Stay (jap w/obi).

Monro - ST (Jap w/obi).

Winters Reign - In the beginning (had over 5 of these! 2 spares left).

This is without mentioning

Know Illusion.

Zahalan.

Ya Ya.

Jim - ST.

Dag Finn.

PM.

Thowsen.

Ole Evenrude.

Sha Boom.

OK i'll stop there i'm scaring myself.

Hmm... don't really know where to start with this post, i've been collecting (luckily) since 1987. I guess the following are quite rare.

2am - When every second counts (£1! a long time ago).

Briar - Crown of thorns (Jap w/obi)

The Now - Overnight Stay (jap w/obi).

Monro - ST (Jap w/obi).

Winters Reign - In the beginning (had over 5 of these! 2 spares left).

This is without mentioning

Know Illusion.

Zahalan.

Ya Ya.

Jim - ST.

Dag Finn.

PM.

Thowsen.

Ole Evenrude.

Sha Boom.

OK i'll stop there i'm scaring myself.

Quite impressive list, to say the least. :blink:

If you want to trade or sell one of those Winter's Reign copies I'd be very intrested...

Hi,

thanks for the nice comment on my list, i don't like to post like that normally as it comes across as bragging to some people and thats the last thing i wanted to do. I shouldn't really follow up your post with this reply as it's on the wrong board, but until i get to 25 posts i cannot post on there.

But anyway what would you pay for the winters reign. I have one opened and one still sealed?

thanks.

Scott.

This is kind of a tricky question. I don't always consider a CDs supposed value as an indication of how rare it is... or vica-versa. I believe most of my rarest CDs to be local indies that I've had for 20 years or more. This doesn't always translate to value... cuz many people/collectors haven't heard of many CDs in my collection, therefore the CD may not be as in demand. For example: most here have most likely never heard of Mommi I'm Scared, Honor Among Thieves (became SR-71), Brian Jack, Rob Fahey, or Mystic Force. I'm not sure what the monetary values of all these are... but if I was to have to replace some of these, I would be hard pressed to be able to do so.

Guess I didn't really answer the question... but thats my take on it. :)

Hi,

thanks for the nice comment on my list, i don't like to post like that normally as it comes across as bragging to some people and thats the last thing i wanted to do. I shouldn't really follow up your post with this reply as it's on the wrong board, but until i get to 25 posts i cannot post on there.

But anyway what would you pay for the winters reign. I have one opened and one still sealed?

thanks.

Scott.

Hi, yes, I was a bit worried myself that my original post here would come of as bragging. Of course that was not my intention at all. I only wanted to see what other collectors had been lucky enough to find. And indeed, this turned out to be a very intresting tread. :)

I'll send you a PM concerning the Winter's Reign CD.

Thanks for the reply!

Kim

Nick

I have the No Man -Loveblows/Lovecries 2 dics and very excellent it is aswell - didn't know it was worth that much. I also have the Barbieri/Bowness - Flame cd aswell which I really like. Quality stuff all round.

Hi Jez,

Just checked the auction - sorry about the Treat CD!!!

There's a copy of the No-Man up on ebay right now here's the link to it let's see what it goes for (already £12.50 with over 5 days to go)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...4747791711&rd=1

I watched a copy go for £34 last year so this might go for more dunno.

The Barbieri / Bowness CD you never see for sale BUT a few months back there was one on Amazon sellers (you know on the right hand side where you can order it maybe for less off various folk either new or 2nd hand) and they were asking £75 and that has been sold and there are now 2 buyers waitng for a copy. I still would'nt sell it though coz I like the CD.

I never have found any big ticket items and I'm not willing to shell out big $$$'s on ebay but a few I have come across include:

Kinki Stunt - S/T (found one for $4.00 and a second a few weeks later for .50 cents

Kick Axe - Vices $5.99

Vain - No Respect (Island original) $36.00 on ebay (the most I've ever spent on a cd) Naturally the reissue has caused a drop in value of the originals.

Spread Eagle - S/T $16.00 Ebay

Unruly Child - S/T $4.00

Faster Pussycat - Belted, Buckled and Booted $1.00

Eyes - S/T $2.00

Wildside - Under The Influence $1.00 (after I bought one on Ebay for $18.00)

X-Sinner - Peace Treaty $1.00

Smashed Gladys - Social Intercourse (traded a Twisted Sister - Come Out And Play for it)

Nick

Hi Jez,

Just checked the auction - sorry about the Treat CD!!!

There's a copy of the No-Man up on ebay right now here's the link to it let's see what it goes for (already £12.50 with over 5 days to go)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...4747791711&rd=1

I watched a copy go for £34 last year so this might go for more dunno.

The Barbieri / Bowness CD you never see for sale BUT a few months back there was one on Amazon sellers (you know on the right hand side where you can order it maybe for less off various folk either new or 2nd hand) and they were asking £75 and that has been sold and there are now 2 buyers waitng for a copy. I still would'nt sell it though coz I like the CD.

There ya go 12 hours after I posted the above it's up to £30 still over4 days to go yet :popcorn:

Cool, although I won't be selling mine. I was playing it in the car the other day and it really is a great album.

Dunno what's rare in my collection, in Holland it's all pretty rare... I got X-sinner - Get It after a long search, but that one's maybe very easily found somewhere else... Don't think I have anything special. I do have a few cool vinyl Picture Discs. DOn't know about them, but I have Stryper - To Hell With The Devil including the poster, Stryper Interview and Cinderella - Night Songs pic disc

Hey Nick, you Icon cd goes for $40-$50 on Ebay. Worth keeping instead, I think. Good stuff.......

Later

JL

Hey Nick,

Is a rare one indeed, although all the re-issued CDs were signed copies. Why anyone would ever want to sell this disc is beyond me though. I have the original tape from 1987, which is probably ultra-rare and isn't ruined by the average bonus tracks on the end, like the CD is.

I have a few rarities:

WEST OF SUNSET - S/T

REFUGEE - Burning from the Inside...

ATLANTIC - Power

SIMON SAYS - Spin This

ICON - Right Between the Eyes

JOJO - S/T

YAYA - II

TIME GALLERY - Both albums

EAST COAST - S/T

HURRICANE - All albums

SKAGARACK - All albums

Later

JL

Hey Nick,

Is a rare one indeed, although all the re-issued CDs were signed copies. Why anyone would ever want to sell this disc is beyond me though. I have the original tape from 1987, which is probably ultra-rare and isn't ruined by the average bonus tracks on the end, like the CD is.

I have a few rarities:

WEST OF SUNSET - S/T

REFUGEE - Burning from the Inside...

ATLANTIC - Power

SIMON SAYS - Spin This

ICON - Right Between the Eyes

JOJO - S/T

YAYA - II

TIME GALLERY - Both albums

EAST COAST - S/T

HURRICANE - All albums

SKAGARACK - All albums

I have to say Tim I think it's the best Icon did after Night of the Crime..I wasn't keen on Right Between the Eyes (which I still think I have) or the Live Bootleg release (which even got sold...unthinkable!!!) but the title did live up to the sound.