H.E.A.T - Tearing Down The Walls (2014)

Kim_Hp

I'm still amazed that Geoff can't hear the brilliance in "A Shot At Redemption"...sounds like a classic Bon Jovi-type anthem to these ears...only better :D

Actually, you do have a point there. it does have a very similar style to 'Because We Can,' only worse, imo. If it sounded like an 80's Bon Jovi anthem we might have something, but seriously mate, I am not a fan. Like I said in the EP thread, it's probably the worst song HEAT have ever recorded imo.

Oh, and yeah, solid call, Glen. I forgot about the title track, but that'd be the most obvious single on the whole thing, surely.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still amazed that Geoff can't hear the brilliance in "A Shot At Redemption"...sounds like a classic Bon Jovi-type anthem to these ears...only better :D

Actually, you do have a point there. it does have a very similar style to 'Because We Can,' only worse, imo. If it sounded like an 80's Bon Jovi anthem we might have something, but seriously mate, I am not a fan. Like I said in the EP thread, it's probably the worst song HEAT have ever recorded imo.

Oh, and yeah, solid call, Glen. I forgot about the title track, but that'd be the most obvious single on the whole thing, surely.

I must admit I do like the title track. I thought the interlude was pointless but its actually pretty cool the way it morphs into the first verse. Pretty good hook too. A goodie.

I must admit I do like the title track. I thought the interlude was pointless but its actually pretty cool the way it morphs into the first verse. Pretty good hook too. A goodie.

Backed, it is an excellent ballad. One of the best songs on the disc.

Anydody find this one for a good price? I can`t seem to find it for under 20$ anywhere.

For some reason HEAT cd`s are always among the most expensive....I wish they were on Frontiers, their cd`s tend to de cheaper in price.........

.......FUCK IT! I splurged! Here I am sitting at home with my left leg in a brace for the next 6 weeks after a knee surgery....telling myself why the fuck wait.

The only other cd I bought this year is the Steel Panther, so I went big and bough the Japanese version with the extra track `Shame`.

• My Little Pony

Anydody find this one for a good price? I can`t seem to find it for under 20$ anywhere.

For some reason HEAT cd`s are always among the most expensive....I wish they were on Frontiers, their cd`s tend to de cheaper in price.........

.......FUCK IT! I splurged! Here I am sitting at home with my left leg in a brace for the next 6 weeks after a knee surgery....telling myself why the fuck wait.

The only other cd I bought this year is the Steel Panther, so I went big and bough the Japanese version with the extra track `Shame`.

Are you still clearing out CDs? Lemme compile a list of my "Wants" and I'll PM you over the weekend. That'll put some money in your pocket.

Good job mate. I'm thinking of snapping the Jap but then I'll wait for several months to see if the tour edition will dropped. Who knows they will include the EP, but you already got the EP right ? so that's ok :D and get well soon Dave, hope everything's ok

If you have a chance to see these guys live don't hesitate. Just buy the ticket pronto. I saw them last weekend and the are soo good live. It probably will not be a show as Nottingham, since that was just breathtaking, again but they always put on a great show.

I think I come to this with a little different perspective...

Personally, I was late to the H.e.a.t party. I honestly had never heard of the band until reading a review for Address the Nation a year after it had been out...Was looking for something a little different to listen to that sorta brought me back to the 80's rock scene that I loved growing up and quickly took a liking to them after giving a few tunes a chance. I wasn't looking for fantastic song writing or anything...Just something fun to pop on and listen to...And it definitely fit the bill.

I will say though that after hearing Address the Nation....I tried getting into some of the older stuff with Kenny on vocals and just couldn't do it after starting with Erik. The songs lacked punch to me and honestly, I've found nothing from their first two albums that interests me.....For whatever that's worth....

My wish for Tearing Down the Walls was basically to get more of the same as ATN....and hopefully something a little bit heavier that still had good production, melodies, hooks, etc. And I really think this album delivers in spades. I just love virtually the whole thing....Although, Mannequin Show has taken awhile to grow on me.

Many have complained about Shot At Redemption....But I love it. Again...Just find it fun to listen to and it's the type of song that even gets my wife singing along to it....And she has no idea who these guys are. I think it's the type of song that could easily be a hit for the band in the US and get them some well-deserved recognition...If it could ever get some airplay....I miss the days when bands like Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, GNR ,etc were actually a part of mainstream radio here...Rock like that is a dying/dead breed in the US....which is why I find H.e.a.t to be a breath of fresh air....

Anyways...back to the album....Emergency...Point of No Return and Inferno are pure awesome....And I also really dig Eye For An Eye and Enemy In Me. I also really like the Japan bonus track...Shame. I just find myself cranking each of these songs up and tapping my foot or the steering wheel while they're playing. Tearing Down the Walls and All the Nights are okay...don't find them to be real great but don't mind their placement in the album and they change the pace a little which is fine I guess...

I can understand though why people that may have loved the earlier stuff may not be digging this as much. I think this album clearly has a different vibe than the first two albums...which for me personally is a good thing :)

Everybody has different tastes...but this album is exactly what I was hoping for. I sorta liken this album to a movie like Transformers....pretty basic plot but lots of cool visuals going on that makes it fun to watch....And in this case, I just find Tearing Down the Walls to be fun to crank up and listen to.

I just wish this band could get more (or some) recognition in the US. I could probably walk down the street here and ask 100 random people if they've heard of this band...and 99 of them would say "No".

Final thoughts.

I suppose it's a credit to their back catalogue that I've been listening to this a lot lately trying to make sense of it. While it's still a ripe release, I feel I've invested enough time in the damn thing to judge it fairly. First, I'm wholly baffled by the opinion that this is just a continuation of the sound of the previous record. Granted, Address the Nation was also different from the first two, but was firmly in line with their 'classic' sound thematically and musically, despite all the new 'bells and whistles'. Purely from a songwriting standpoint, the tunes on the first three could easily be mixed and matched and whether it were Kenny or Erik on duty, they would all sound like H.E.A.T. Not so on this latest record.
Without Gronwall's pipes, it would be unrecognizable as the same band save for 2 or 3 songs. The new sound is, as I said before, a step backward, and not necessarily a terrible thing, but not the direction that I'd hoped for, but wish them success in churning out more barnstormers like PoNR and Inferno in the future, if that is the path they choose.

All said, though I give them all a chance, there are only 4 songs on the new album that I won't skip. Five with the bonus track. Compared to the top releases of last year (Find Me, W.E.T.), this doesn't even compare and to my ears, just sounds like juvenile stuff. Yes, yes, I just said that... sigh..

So, altogether and graded on a curve, while still quality stuff for what it is, the lack of truly stellar tracks only warrants a B-, C+.

Anyway, you know what they say about opinions and assholes! Would be interested to hear what any other lurkers have to say, if for nothing else but shits and giggles. Cheers, and will chime in with thoughts on the new Winger soon ;)

• My Little Pony

I think I come to this with a little different perspective...

Personally, I was late to the H.e.a.t party. I honestly had never heard of the band until reading a review for Address the Nation a year after it had been out...Was looking for something a little different to listen to that sorta brought me back to the 80's rock scene that I loved growing up and quickly took a liking to them after giving a few tunes a chance. I wasn't looking for fantastic song writing or anything...Just something fun to pop on and listen to...And it definitely fit the bill.

I will say though that after hearing Address the Nation....I tried getting into some of the older stuff with Kenny on vocals and just couldn't do it after starting with Erik. The songs lacked punch to me and honestly, I've found nothing from their first two albums that interests me.....For whatever that's worth....

My wish for Tearing Down the Walls was basically to get more of the same as ATN....and hopefully something a little bit heavier that still had good production, melodies, hooks, etc. And I really think this album delivers in spades. I just love virtually the whole thing....Although, Mannequin Show has taken awhile to grow on me.

Many have complained about Shot At Redemption....But I love it. Again...Just find it fun to listen to and it's the type of song that even gets my wife singing along to it....And she has no idea who these guys are. I think it's the type of song that could easily be a hit for the band in the US and get them some well-deserved recognition...If it could ever get some airplay....I miss the days when bands like Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, GNR ,etc were actually a part of mainstream radio here...Rock like that is a dying/dead breed in the US....which is why I find H.e.a.t to be a breath of fresh air....

Anyways...back to the album....Emergency...Point of No Return and Inferno are pure awesome....And I also really dig Eye For An Eye and Enemy In Me. I also really like the Japan bonus track...Shame. I just find myself cranking each of these songs up and tapping my foot or the steering wheel while they're playing. Tearing Down the Walls and All the Nights are okay...don't find them to be real great but don't mind their placement in the album and they change the pace a little which is fine I guess...

I can understand though why people that may have loved the earlier stuff may not be digging this as much. I think this album clearly has a different vibe than the first two albums...which for me personally is a good thing :)

Everybody has different tastes...but this album is exactly what I was hoping for. I sorta liken this album to a movie like Transformers....pretty basic plot but lots of cool visuals going on that makes it fun to watch....And in this case, I just find Tearing Down the Walls to be fun to crank up and listen to.

I just wish this band could get more (or some) recognition in the US. I could probably walk down the street here and ask 100 random people if they've heard of this band...and 99 of them would say "No".

This is the second time someone has used that "Transformers" analogy.

For me, it's the other way around. Started with the first album. Everybody was raving about it, but it was too light for me. The second album dropped and it carried with it a few tracks I liked, but too much of it was too soft. Then Erik entered the scene and I finally got into the band. I played the shit out the third album, so I decided to give the others a try, again. My tastes had changed over the years, and I found I liked the Kenny albums better.

Here is my view of all four albums.

Debut: songs 80% production/sound 80% artwork/look/final product 90% = total 84%

Freedom Rock: songs 90% production/sound 65% artwork/look/final product 80% = total 80%

ATN: songs 85% production/sound 90% artwork/look/final product 80% = total 85%

TDTW: songs 85% production/sound 95% artwork/look/final product 85% = total 88%

All their releases are awesome and worth getting.

IMO, the "continuation" has more to do with the continued evolution toward more straight up, commercial melodic rock instead of keyboard driven AOR. I think it began somewhat on ATN with tunes like Breaking The Silence, Heartbreaker, It's All About Tonight, etc...And TDTW has moved even farther in that direction....And that's why some call it ATN Part II....at least that's the way I look at it :)

Either way, I enjoyed ATN and I'm loving TDTW :)

Final thoughts.

I suppose it's a credit to their back catalogue that I've been listening to this a lot lately trying to make sense of it. While it's still a ripe release, I feel I've invested enough time in the damn thing to judge it fairly. First, I'm wholly baffled by the opinion that this is just a continuation of the sound of the previous record. Granted, Address the Nation was also different from the first two, but was firmly in line with their 'classic' sound thematically and musically, despite all the new 'bells and whistles'. Purely from a songwriting standpoint, the tunes on the first three could easily be mixed and matched and whether it were Kenny or Erik on duty, they would all sound like H.E.A.T. Not so on this latest record.
Without Gronwall's pipes, it would be unrecognizable as the same band save for 2 or 3 songs. The new sound is, as I said before, a step backward, and not necessarily a terrible thing, but not the direction that I'd hoped for, but wish them success in churning out more barnstormers like PoNR and Inferno in the future, if that is the path they choose.

All said, though I give them all a chance, there are only 4 songs on the new album that I won't skip. Five with the bonus track. Compared to the top releases of last year (Find Me, W.E.T.), this doesn't even compare and to my ears, just sounds like juvenile stuff. Yes, yes, I just said that... sigh..

So, altogether and graded on a curve, while still quality stuff for what it is, the lack of truly stellar tracks only warrants a B-, C+.

Anyway, you know what they say about opinions and assholes! Would be interested to hear what any other lurkers have to say, if for nothing else but shits and giggles. Cheers, and will chime in with thoughts on the new Winger soon ;)

Artwork and packaging for me is important, if the product looks poor (no band photo, no lyrics, weak imagery) my first thought isn`t exactly positive.

Yes I do judge the book by its cover.

The entire experience is not solely based on songs and production. Reason why I still buy cd`s and do not download if I have a choice.

• My Little Pony

Artwork and packaging for me is important, if the product looks poor (no band photo, no lyrics, weak imagery) my first thought isn`t exactly positive.

Yes I do judge the book by its cover.

The entire experience is not solely based on songs and production. Reason why I still buy cd`s and do not download if I have a choice.

Yessir.

• My Little Pony

H.E.A.T - s/t 98%

Freedom Rock 91%

Address The Nation 90%

Tearing Down The Walls 92%

now am I a sick fan or what :D

Yep. You're a disgusting man, Stephen.