The return of Autograph .. sorta

Captain Howdy

A while back Simon Daniels added me as a friend on Facebook. Wasnt really sure who he was initially, but on investigation I found out he was Danny Simon of Jailhouse fame.

Recently he has been promoting what sounds like a new tour for Autograph (not sure if an album is going to happen), with him handling the vocals.

As far as I can see the band now consists of him, Keni Richards, Randy Rand and Steve Lynch.

At least thats more members of the original band than when Plunkett did his thing in 2002/20003.

Yes, but to me the voice matters more. And I thought Buzz was really good album!

• 2023 Gold Donors

Oh brother,another band who think they can replace the original voice...not a huge fan but Autograph without Plunkett on vox is a joke.Quiet Riot are another one in a long list of bands who really need to give it the f--k up already.

I have always been of the opinion that the vocalist is pretty much the only member of a band thats near irreplacable, with a few exceptions.

It just interests me that on Buzz (which I liked), Plunkett to my knowledge was the only real member of the band, whereas this current version, the singer is the only non-real member.

Be interesting to see how it turns out though.

I thought Buzz sucked ass. I love Simon but not in Autograph.

To me it sounds like classic Autograph. The same voice the same song writing,same style and sound.

I think Lynch is an under appreciated guitarist & Richards is a great drummer so it's cool to see them back along with Rand. But Autograph/Plunkett are one & the same. Unless Plunk is penning the tunes & Daniels can do a dead on Plunk live & in studio, it ain't Autograph. Doesn't mean it can't be decent in a Mason-Warrant way though. I'll check it out.

I think way too much is made of a band's name.. Times change.. band members change.. if the music is good it makes no difference to me.

• My Little Pony

I think way too much is made of a band's name.. Times change.. band members change.. if the music is good it makes no difference to me.

Preach it, brother.

Semi on topic, man how good was his solo My Attitude cd. Fucking awesome!

Agreed. I remember ordering it from Wildside Imports about 6 or 7 years after it's release date (never you it even existed) and it instantly became my favorite purchase that year. While I liked Buzz, I was really hoping it would match My Attitude in its awesomeness!

Preach it, brother.

I get both sides. On one hand I will like or dislike this CD purely because the songs are good or they suck. Doesn't matter who is in the band or on vocals - if the songs are good I'll dig it.

HOWEVER, simply put, without Plunkett this is definitely NOT Autograph, imo. Yes he's the one and only voice that has ever fronted the band, ever, but more to the point he was the song-writer for the most part - and most, if not all, of Autograph's success came at the mercy of Plunkett's pen.

Sorry dudes, I look forward to hearing the new music, but it sure isn't Autograph to me.

For the record, anyone know why he isn't involved?

Preach it, brother.

I get both sides. On one hand I will like or dislike this CD purely because the songs are good or they suck. Doesn't matter who is in the band or on vocals - if the songs are good I'll dig it.

HOWEVER, simply put, without Plunkett this is definitely NOT Autograph, imo. Yes he's the one and only voice that has ever fronted the band, ever, but more to the point he was the song-writer for the most part - and most, if not all, of Autograph's success came at the mercy of Plunkett's pen.

Sorry dudes, I look forward to hearing the new music, but it sure isn't Autograph to me.

For the record, anyone know why he isn't involved?

I agree with you 100% Geoff!

Yup, cant agree more with Geoff.

Simple fact is if you are a fan of a band, you generally want that band to sound like that band all the time.

A serious change of musical direction or change of vocalist will automatically make them sound like a different band.

As much as I like the Corabi fronted Motley album, I still to this day say it should never have been released as a MC record.

Very few bands can get away with replacing their vocalist. It does not matter how good the album is, you want the band to sound like the band you got into in the first place.

• 1 month later...
Guest Axldobby

Steve Plunkett underlined the difference between original AUTOGRAPH and the new line-up from 2003: AUTOGRAPH 2.03 was the real name of this come back. He didn't lure people.

About this reunion, wait and see... I'm a huge AUTOGRAPH/Plunkett fan and I expect something decent (may be great! :) ).