"Modern" Music to Check Out

LV KIX

We all know there are 3 things Geoff can't get enough of... And of course those 3 things are:

1.) Pink Fluffy Cocktails

2.) Norks

3.) "Modern Rock"

We already have a "nork" thread and I know nothing about pink fluffy drinks... so I decided to start a thread to share "modern rock" bands with anyone interested.

Here is two to start with:

Luna Halo.... http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...riendID=1693363 (make sure and listen to the song "Kings and Queens")

Vs. The Earth.... http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...riendID=5258362

I have thought about this idea but figured most people just don't care and the ones that do already take notice. I'll add the best to this thread if it stays alive, but to begin with a few essentials I couldn't live without, and that I think everyone should hear are:

Cauterize

http://www.myspace.com/cauterized

Change of Pace

http://www.myspace.com/achangeofpace

Just Surrender

http://www.myspace.com/justsurrenderrock

Hedley

http://www.myspace.com/hedley

Funeral for a Friend (especially 'Tales don't tell themselves'):

http://www.myspace.com/funeralforafriend

Yellowcard (especially 'Paper Walls')

http://www.myspace.com/yellowcard

Story of the Year

http://www.myspace.com/storyoftheyear

I'm glad you didn't add HINDER to that list. I mean, I love all those bands you listed (as you know), but those HINDER guys suck IMO.

I have thought about this idea but figured most people just don't care and the ones that do already take notice.

I think the thing that scares people away is the term "modern rock". That is why I hate lables with a passion. The term "hair metal" is a big turn off to some, but others the term attracts. It's kinda funny... we feel the need to group things. So much of this so called "modern rock" is rooted in 'hair metal" and "classic rock". All the same elements are there, some people just choose not to hear them. Sometimes if you just give a "modern rock" band a chance you may find yourself pleasently surprised.

I remember back before Cinder Road released their major label debut I mentioned them in the "Shout It To The World" thread. A few checked it out... some even bought the release when it came out. But the response I found the most interesting was one by Mullethead... in a seperate thread, many month later he posted about a band he had seen live. The band he went to see... Tesla. The band he was raving about the next day...Cinder Road. Cinder Road, by the way, is now touring with KISS.

Give some of these bands a chance people.

I have thought about this idea but figured most people just don't care and the ones that do already take notice.

I think the thing that scares people away is the term "modern rock". That is why I hate lables with a passion. The term "hair metal" is a big turn off to some, but others the term attracts. It's kinda funny... we feel the need to group things. So much of this so called "modern rock" is rooted in 'hair metal" and "classic rock". All the same elements are there, some people just choose not to hear them. Sometimes if you just give a "modern rock" band a chance you may find yourself pleasently surprised.

I remember back before Cinder Road released their major label debut I mentioned them in the "Shout It To The World" thread. A few checked it out... some even bought the release when it came out. But the response I found the most interesting was one by Mullethead... in a seperate thread, many month later he posted about a band he had seen live. The band he went to see... Tesla. The band he was raving about the next day...Cinder Road. Cinder Road, by the way, is now touring with KISS.

Give some of these bands a chance people.

Couldn't agree more, mate. I've tried to say the same thing a dozen times over in a dozen different ways, but like you say a lot of people choose to just ignore these bands. I will say this, though. I made 2 CDRs (approx. 36 songs) of some of my favourite modern rock songs and sent it to arguably the "purest AOR fan" (who can name himself if he likes :) ) on the board, and to his credit he actually admitted to me that he loved the discs, and that the songs were excellent.

All I can say as I've said before, is I'm not listening to anything different. I'm just listening to the state of hard rock in 2008 and not every hard rock in 2008 is on Frontiers or has immediate ties to the 80's. As I'll keep saying - every element of modern rock I enjoy is an element of MHR I have enjoyed for the past 10 years. :)

I'm glad you didn't add HINDER to that list. I mean, I love all those bands you listed (as you know), but those HINDER guys suck IMO.

Mate, I love Hinder. A bit of overkill due to the f*cking radio, I give you that. But in 2005 when I was rocking out to this unknown band, two years before it was tainted by radio, I was loving it. And I still think it's a damn fine disc. I look forward to the new one. :)

I owe Geoff alot of thanks for giving me some bands to check out like Story of The Year and Atreyu ("Blow" still kicks major ass. I listen to anything that sounds good to my ears. I could care less of class. Hell I even listen to Rockarma. :anon:

Am a big fan of FFAF and also another band,pretty similar,that people should check out is the excellent Lost Prophets,have a 5year old nephew who sings "Rooftops" with me at the top of his voice :banger:

Lostprophets

Yep LostProphets are awesome, British band. They have a new album soon but it's supposed to be darker/heavier than "Liberation Trasmission" - though they always know how to write a hook...

Just discovered this band......although it seems they've had a few albums out already!! Whatcha think?

Over It

Another great new band is Tokio Hotel......simply kickass stuff!! I think their myspace page is: Tokio Hotel

Really good stuff........and some of the better songs are not on their myspace page! They have a hint of Kill Hannah in them......the vox maybe....but the tuneage is simply stellar!!

Another great new band is Tokio Hotel......simply kickass stuff!! I think their myspace page is: Tokio Hotel

Really good stuff........and some of the better songs are not on their myspace page! They have a hint of Kill Hannah in them......the vox maybe....but the tuneage is simply stellar!!

Hey Jim,

Good call on the Tokio Hotel. I was just gonna post a thread about these guys. Picked them up a couple of days ago while perusing through Virgin Records. I didn't see what songs are on their myspace page, but there are definitely some good anthems on here. Kinda reminded me of a harder version on Faber Drive at times.

Chris

Hey guys, thanks for the heads up on Tokio Hotel. I will hunt them down hungrily.

Jim, I assume Over It's newie (just looked it up - 'the Strand') is a gem? I have 'Timing is everything' from 2002 which is very good, but not magnificent. Two great songs, though. I also have 'Step outside yourself' from 2006 which has a brilliant opening track but not much else. Have they nailed it with the new disc? They always did have a lot of potential?

Well Geoff (and others) I FINALLY got to hear some tunes by Cauterize. I've been playing 'So Far From Real' the past 2 days. I've gotta say it's really melodic stuff and definately stands out above many similar bands. But what suprised me most was the lyrics - they don't suck like SOME other modern band lyrics do - they're actually kinda meaningful. A fairly fast paced album and maybe just a tad short at 41 mins but overall a pretty killer disc. Geoff I'm interested to know what your fav tracks are and how you rank their albums? Fav tracks of mine after just a few listens in order are:

1. Something Beautiful

2. My Everything

3. Still Breathing

4. Killing Me

5. Shine

6. Promise Me

On another topic, has anyone checked out a band called Stereoside? I've only heard a little bit but they're sounding like a band worth checking out. They remind me a bit of Audioslave - same heavyness and similar vocals.

Stereoside - MySpace

Well Geoff (and others) I FINALLY got to hear some tunes by Cauterize. I've been playing 'So Far From Real' the past 2 days. I've gotta say it's really melodic stuff and definately stands out above many similar bands. But what suprised me most was the lyrics - they don't suck like SOME other modern band lyrics do - they're actually kinda meaningful. A fairly fast paced album and maybe just a tad short at 41 mins but overall a pretty killer disc. Geoff I'm interested to know what your fav tracks are and how you rank their albums? Fav tracks of mine after just a few listens in order are:

1. Something Beautiful

2. My Everything

3. Still Breathing

4. Killing Me

5. Shine

6. Promise Me

Ah, you're a beautiful, beautiful man. If you'd dig up some old threads you'd find me saying the exact same kind of stuff. It's obviously extremely melodic which is the first massive tick in it's favour but what sealed the deal for me, as you say, were the lyrics. It's probably the most passionate album I have heard in my life, which is why it hit me so hard. Especially because it was released at a time when every song struck me in a very relevant place.

Anyway, it's hard to pick my faves because they literally all are, but I guess if asked today they would be:

1. Killing me

2. Still breathing

3. Choke

4. Something beautiful

5. I'll cry tomorrow

6. Taste of tears

7. My everything

8. Shine

And I do agree with you too, that for me this band always was and still is a cut about the other modern bands out there. :)

Hey guys, thanks for the heads up on Tokio Hotel. I will hunt them down hungrily.

Jim, I assume Over It's newie (just looked it up - 'the Strand') is a gem? I have 'Timing is everything' from 2002 which is very good, but not magnificent. Two great songs, though. I also have 'Step outside yourself' from 2006 which has a brilliant opening track but not much else. Have they nailed it with the new disc? They always did have a lot of potential?

No, the one I picked up was "Step Outside Yourself"........and I haven't listened to the entire disc yet, but I've heard some good songs so far!

No, the one I picked up was "Step Outside Yourself"........and I haven't listened to the entire disc yet, but I've heard some good songs so far!

Yeah, it starts of great. The guys have an excellent sound. I was maybe hoping for a few more killer tracks, but a good band nonetheless.

1. Something Beautiful

2. My Everything

3. Still Breathing

4. Killing Me

5. Shine

6. Promise Me

Ah, you're a beautiful, beautiful man. If you'd dig up some old threads you'd find me saying the exact same kind of stuff. It's obviously extremely melodic which is the first massive tick in it's favour but what sealed the deal for me, as you say, were the lyrics. It's probably the most passionate album I have heard in my life, which is why it hit me so hard. Especially because it was released at a time when every song struck me in a very relevant place.

Anyway, it's hard to pick my faves because they literally all are, but I guess if asked today they would be:

1. Killing me

2. Still breathing

3. Choke

4. Something beautiful

5. I'll cry tomorrow

6. Taste of tears

7. My everything

8. Shine

And I do agree with you too, that for me this band always was and still is a cut about the other modern bands out there. :)

LOL.... Now Geoff, if we could just get them to give SR-71 a chance. You've been telling them all along. :whistle:

EDIT: I'll make it a little easier.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=305688520

Not official site...but this one has best selection of tunes.

• 2 weeks later...

These days I pretty much don't buy and album unless I've heard the whole thing... I just don't have the $$$ to waste. But every now and then I go out on a limb and sometimes I fail miserably, but these days I am a lot more cautious and far less likely to fail. The other day I bought Dropping Daylight's 'Brace Youself' disc and got a couple of other nice spins out of it. Here's the breakdown:

Dropping Daylight - 'Brace Youself'

http://www.myspace.com/droppingdaylight

These guys are pretty good. I downloaded, heard it and decided to buy it right away before I listened again. I can't remember exactly what they're like off the top of my head, but I think a less sweet version of The Summer Obsession was how I described them. Good solid modern rock.

And to the ones I picked up blindly:

City Sleeps - 'Not an angel'

http://www.myspace.com/citysleeps

I got this after it was compared to Change of Pace and I can hear a little of them in this, but also a lot of All-American Rejects and especially Mest (who's 'Photographs' album is also essential - http://www.amazon.com/Photographs-Mest/dp/B000B9EY48 [samples]).

Madina Lake - 'From them, through us, to you'

http://www.myspace.com/madinalake

http://www.madinalake.com/

I've only heard the start of this album but was instantly hooked. Again, compared to Change of Pace I picked this up and the first song definitely hits the mark. The rest of the album sounds like it's going to be a good one too.

Firescape - 'Dancehall Apocalypse'

This is the band from one of Something Corporate's songwriters and lead guitarist, Josh Partington. And after hearing Jack's Mannequin and William Tell's solo disc (both also ex-Something Corporate members) I think I'm going to have to say this is the best of all three. I'm only three tracks in, but it seems a lot "rockier" than the others, and the hooks are great.

http://www.myspace.com/firescape

Madina Lake is EXCELLENT!! I'm surprised you haven't heard of them yet, Geoff!

Here's one I've been into for a year or so... I should have mentioned this one earlier.

AIDIEN.... http://www.myspace.com/aiden

Madina Lake is EXCELLENT!! I'm surprised you haven't heard of them yet, Geoff!

I agree, mate. This CD is so good... amazed I'd not heard of them before. That's what's annoying about modern rock - I imagine there are SO MANY excellent bands out there I don't know about because there's not really one central place I can go to find out about the good new ones. Purevolume, Absolutepunk and Alternative Addiction are three sites I look at every now and then, but they all cover so many different styled current rock bands it's hard to sort out the shit (which is 80% of the stuff there) from the good stuff.

Anyway, Madina Lake were just awesome. Some of the songs on this think are just monsters. They remind me a little of Lorene Drive at times. They're the best of the bunch I got the other day, but I'd recommend City Sleeps and I have to admit that despite some pretty average verses, that Firescape disc was great! EVERY chorus was a gem... all big and catchy. Definitely the best Something Corporate-related disc I've heard.

Here's one I've been into for a year or so... I should have mentioned this one earlier.

AIDIEN.... http://www.myspace.com/aiden

I know that name... think it's a band I've been trying to track down for a while.

And then there's that one band that I'm guessing has yet to be checked out .... what are they called again?? theSyndrome?? No ... theSynners?? No ... hmmm ...???

Is that the Syndikut one? I can never find them anywhere. :( I know, I know... I should check out their myspace page but I always forget. I will make a point to do it asap!

>> Is that the Syndikut one? I can never find them anywhere. I know, I know... I should check out their myspace page but I always forget. I will make a point to do it asap <<

Here ya go

Thanks mate... now I just have to remember when I'm at home. It better be good after all this hype. ;)