I'm done with crowdfunding

DeLaCruz

That's it I'VE HAD IT!!!!! Never participating in a pledgemusic or kickstarter campaign again! Michael Bolton man... what an ass! I know the guy is old but I've always respected his earlier aor / rock work and didn't mind some of the pop influenced stuff he released during the 80s and 90s

So when he announced a new album I thought fuck it, let's support this guy right? Now I get the news he's recording a disc full of songs from movies what the fuck!!?!?!?!?! That's about as bad as it can get. After the jettblack disaster I've decided to never give money to an artist like this ever again they can go fuck themselves. If it's released properly and I like it I'll buy it, if not... too bad! What I'm trying to say is, you never know what you're gonna get, could be my favorite band needing money I won't be supporting their project like this sorry

I think that may be the first Michael Bolton rant we've had here on HH.

Agree that the Jettblack was an epic piece of crap.

• My Little Pony

Crowd-funding isn't going anywhere any time soon. Love it, or hate it, it works for artists, so they'll keep using it.

Also, I love Michael Bolton. I love his music; I do! I'm a Michael Bolton fan. I celebrate the guy's entire catalogue! And so I don't very much appreciate your tone of voice.

I think that may be the first Michael Bolton rant we've had here on HH.

Agree that the Jettblack was an epic piece of crap.

Was looking so forward to the Jettblack, such a waste!

I supported Rod Black's (Jet Black Stare) Pledge campaign last year only to receive a CD that was burned from low-bitrate, shitty-sounding mp3s. He later re-encoded a 128kpbs mp3 to a higher bitrate and is currently selling it on Amazon and iTunes. It also sounds awful, which sucks because the songs are actually pretty good.

Even after I called him out on it and sent him proof of his mistake, he still thinks it was mastered properly and sounds great.

I love crowdfunding, that's really the best way for an artist to really make money and create something idealistic. In Bolton's case, I don't follow him again but as long as he doesn't trick or cheat your money by delivering a defect product (or didn't deliver at all), I think music is subjective.

If you decided to support the artist without hearing any samples first, then you're subject to accept anything he created, right ? I don't see why you need to blame the system :D

His S/T album is amazing, a classic that still excites me today. "Everyboy's Crazy" is also very good. The follow up "The Hunger" is listenable, but not much more and after that it went downhill and I have not heard any of his latest albums. His work with Cher was also good, love her 1989 album "Heart of Stone".

The idea of the crowd funding thing is a noble idea, but it is unfortunate to hear of it being abused. But I guess in the minds of artists, they assume their die-hard fans will be happy with anything they produce?

It's not really avoidable, I guess. Not every band can be as reliable as Destine (where you can be 99% sure of a great end product), but it'd be nice for a band/artist to clearly outline their plan for the crowd funded project in order to prevent nasty surprises and fan backlash.

It's as simple as saying that the plan is for "an album in the style of our debut" or in the case of Jettblack "a piece of grungy shit that will sound like it's straight out of 1996" or Michael Bolton just straight up saying, "Basically guys, I am going to take your money to record something which even I cannot believe that I am interested, and I know you guys won't give a shit about it. But thanks for paying for the horseshit."

i'm done with crowd funding too.

...no, wait, I never even started with crowd funding. Nevermind.

The idea of the crowd funding thing is a noble idea, but it is unfortunate to hear of it being abused. But I guess in the minds of artists, they assume their die-hard fans will be happy with anything they produce?

It's not really avoidable, I guess. Not every band can be as reliable as Destine (where you can be 99% sure of a great end product), but it'd be nice for a band/artist to clearly outline their plan for the crowd funded project in order to prevent nasty surprises and fan backlash.

It's as simple as saying that the plan is for "an album in the style of our debut" or in the case of Jettblack "a piece of grungy shit that will sound like it's straight out of 1996" or Michael Bolton just straight up saying, "Basically guys, I am going to take your money to record something which even I cannot believe that I am interested, and I know you guys won't give a shit about it. But thanks for paying for the horseshit."

Exactly, it's as simple as that: let the fans know what they are going to get. I remember a few years ago I saw that Slash had a project on Pledgemusic. Wanted to chip in cause I've always liked Slash and his music (even though let's be honest, he could have funded this himself with ease) but when I realized it was for a horror movie soundtrack I passed.

I can't believe someone moaning about supoorting a Michael Bolton crowd funding campaign................???

I mean what exactly did you expect to receive?

At best it would be a bunch of sultry love songs.........at worst some god awful covers (which is what u got) or some Christmas album ;-)

2 recent crowd funding campaigns have puzzled me recently -

Michael Bolton and Jim Peterik.

They must be worth millions right?? Why do they need to crowd fund?????

I thought it was more for artists like Johnny Lima or Destine - both of which were excellent by the way and delivered big time.

I thought it was more for artists like Johnny Lima or Destine - both of which were excellent by the way and delivered big time.

Yeah, but let's be honest - is it not more like a pre-order, or guarantee of sorts? A way for the artist to know that people are actually paying for the music they are going to hear, rather than the belief that everyone is just going to download it for free?

I mean, the principle is still there. If you had a million dollars, would you want to spend $100,000 to record a new CD, have everyone download it for free and be left with $900,000 after the project? Or, would you prefer to have a million dollars, get your new album financed and recorded for $100,000 of your fan's money, and still have a million dollars after it all? ;)

Obviously they're completely random numbers, but I assume my point is made?

I can't believe someone moaning about supoorting a Michael Bolton crowd funding campaign................???

I mean what exactly did you expect to receive?

At best it would be a bunch of sultry love songs.........at worst some god awful covers (which is what u got) or some Christmas album ;-)

Nope. Actually I'm quite surprised why Maiden (or Lance Armstrong) don't use this service....They enjoy fanboyism of high level :lol:

Yeah, but let's be honest - is it not more like a pre-order, or guarantee of sorts? A way for the artist to know that people are actually paying for the music they are going to hear, rather than the belief that everyone is just going to download it for free?

I mean, the principle is still there. If you had a million dollars, would you want to spend $100,000 to record a new CD, have everyone download it for free and be left with $900,000 after the project? Or, would you prefer to have a million dollars, get your new album financed and recorded for $100,000 of your fan's money, and still have a million dollars after it all? ;)

Ha, point taken, I posted the same. But don't you think that economizing a "noble" cause will demoralize it?

Ha, point taken, I posted the same. But don't you think that economizing a "noble" cause will demoralize it?

Because morality has always been a large part of the music business? ;)

• My Little Pony

Because morality has always been a large part of the music business? ;)

That's always been my understanding.

;}

I like crowdfunding and have had some really awesome experiences with it and gotten some really neat exclusives that I otherwise would not have gotten. So I'm not about to rip it. Heck, I even had an artist personally call me on the phone once because one of my items was delayed and he wanted to personally apologize :)

I can see it being only as good as the artist is though. I mean, the artists are the ones setting these things up and following through on them with updates ,exclusives, etc. I'd be blaming the artist himself and not specifically the crowdfunding tools. Hate the player...not the game :)

I think the artists do need to be clear about what they're doing and it is ultimately your decision if you take part in it or not. If I wasn't clear about what the outcome was going to be (ie..cover tunes, acoustic album, new original album, etc, etc) I'd be much more hesitant to give the money.

I do think crowdfunding is a great way for artists to get in touch with their fan base, give people some unique items and get a little up front capital for their projects.

I put a substantial amount of money into a movie project. I have yet to see anything come of it. So yeah, I'm not too big on the idea any more. If the movie ever comes out and it's good I might change my mind.

Seems like Big Cock tried to do one of these to help fund a new CD. They didn't meet their goal and that was the end of Big Cock.

Seems like Big Cock tried to do one of these to help fund a new CD. They didn't meet their goal and that was the end of Big Cock.

That one was weird to me, because then David Henzerling put together Tunnel and their album was basically another Big Cock album.

Crowdfunding is okay but it is like putting money in the stock market...you never know what you will end up with...as for Bolton....even his 1st 2 releases are average at best....

Err no they arent