Watch Out Folks......

A buddy of mine used BitTorrent the other day to download the whole Tesla discography after he lost his CD collection in a house fire last year.

So 2 days after the discography downloads, he gets multiple warning emails from Comcast/Xfinity about copyrighted downloads from a torrent site. Is this something new? I can't say I haven't done the same on multiple occasions to get high priced or hard to find music.

Here is a copy of the email he received. I have deleted his personal information:

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
Abuse Incident Number: NA0000114199909
Report Date/Time: 2014-07-22 19:33:19.0 GMT
(Name and Address deleted for privacy)
Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:
Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.
If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in one of the following formats:
Comcast Customer Security Assurance
Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
1800 Bishops Gate Blvd., 3rd Floor East Wing
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054 U.S.A.
Phone: (888) 565-4329
Fax: (856) 324-2940
For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.
Sincerely,
Comcast Customer Security Assurance
Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:
Infringing Work: Rock Me to the Top
Filename: 1986-Mechanical Resonance05 Rock Me To The Top.mp3
Infringement Date: 2014-07-22 19:33:19.0 GMT
Infringement Type: null
Infringement Method: Torrent
IP Address: deleted for privacy
Reporting Party: contact@digitalrightscorp.com
Reporting Party Case: TC-946bb709-4150-401e-ade4-cbe0ab1dccc3
Reporting Party FAQ: null
Anybody ever gotten this kind of email? He received one for every song on the debut Tesla disc only. None for anything else.

(George Takei voice) Oh myyyyyyyyy. :yikes:

Basically it sounds like the Net provider is simply making sure its ass is covered by reminding him that using their service for illegal torrents is a no-no. If the behavior continues and they get another complaint about his IP address, they would be within their rights to kick him off their service, or throw him under the bus to the copyright holders, i.e. "Hey pal, we warned you."

(George Takei voice) Oh myyyyyyyyy. :yikes:

Basically it sounds like the Net provider is simply making sure its ass is covered by reminding him that using their service for illegal torrents is a no-no. If the behavior continues and they get another complaint about his IP address, they would be within their rights to kick him off their service, or throw him under the bus to the copyright holders, i.e. "Hey pal, we warned you."

I did find this via wiki for that company :

Comcast, the largest internet provider in the United States,[24] has continually refused to forward Rightscorp's DMCA settlement notices in the form in which Rightscorp sends them. Comcast removes the threatening language and the settlement offer and instead simply forwards a letter to their customer that basically reads as a incident report.

That's interesting. I didn't think that torrents were trackable without the cooperation of one of the two parties at either endpoint (the site or the downloader); the peers throughout the network proviting the myriad of little bits don't necessarily know details about where the request originates. I thought that was the whole point of the technology. Unless the torrent site he connected to is actually a sting operation so the originating request and title could be tracked.

That's interesting. I didn't think that torrents were trackable without the cooperation of one of the two parties at either endpoint (the site or the downloader); the peers throughout the network proviting the myriad of little bits don't necessarily know details about where the request originates. I thought that was the whole point of the technology. Unless the torrent site he connected to is actually a sting operation so the originating request and title could be tracked.

Great point. I always thought it was anonymous and untraceable also. This is an eye-opener. I will try to find out where/what he downloaded.

• My Little Pony

I've heard the Canadian Government has created torrents so they can personally track all the IPs that download them. Perhaps your government has done the same. Wouldn't be surprised.

Good information although solvable through the use of proxy or VPN i guess

Yeah all you have to do is use a proxy and there are a ton of free proxies out there...Utorrent is easy to setup for a proxy....just go to a site like this one and try a few of the IPs ....some are fast and some are slow so try several....

http://proxylist.hidemyass.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of those from Charter, but it was just a postcard saying I had to call regarding a copyright violation. I called their number and found out it was for downloading an episode of Law and Order SVU via bittorrent. I told them that I would put a password on my unprotected wifi. They bought the excuse and that was the end of it.

Lesson if you're going to do this sort of thing: Get your goods from usenet (it can't be traced) or a private bittorrent site.

• 4 weeks later...

In Germany there are vile solicitors who send out huge fines (1000s of euros potentially) for this sort of thing. They are watching. Torrents are for sure easy to track. Since the advent of cheap streaming sites like spotify I just pay for these knowing they are legal.