Angelica

so I reading that Rob Rock did vocals on the first cd? what about the band in general. I really like the songs Home Sweet Heave and Some One To Believe In Me. and just really heard the song Cover Me, sounds a bit like Tora Tora

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej2DfGXGqgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=qcO-sk5DjU8&feature=related

Rob Rock did indeed sing lead vox on the first Angelica album. Then each album after that (they did 4 in total, I believe) had a different singer.

The only one of theirs I ever owned was "ROCK STOCK AND BARREL" --- pretty decent, if a bit fluffy. The single "Cover Me" always reminded me of Mr. Big more than anything else.

The only one I own is 'Walkin' in faith', which is a pretty good disc. Love the ballad, 'All I Can Do.' I was always curious, and still am, to hear the other albums but I just haven't got around to it.

• 4 months later...

The first 3 CDs are all very good :headbanger: ...."Walkin' On Faith" features the best hooks, songs and guitar riffs, while the (first) S/T disc has the best lead vocals on account of Rob Rock. The 4th and final CD is very mellow and by far the weakest of the bunch, prob. best left for completists and/or Dennis Cameron devotees...My $0.02 anyway :drink:

• 2 weeks later...

Recently bought their s/t and 'Rock, stock and Barrel' CDs. I like all three of those first ones but there's just something about these guys that keeps them a few step backs from so many other bands, imo. Something in the sound of the rhythm section I just don't dig.

They do sound different to many bands, but not in a way I love. It's almost like they have a rhythm section suited to a funk band, but they're playing melodic rock. I know, I make no sense. :( Either way, all three of those first three albums are keepers. Haven't tried the 4th and nothing I've read makes me want to try it.

• 1 month later...

I have a question regarding Rob Rock. In HH's page, the lead singer in Angelica's S/T is listed as "Andy Lyon", besides, I've recently purchased Angelica's Greatest Hits and the singer in the S/T tracks is also credited as "Andy Lyon", and the booklet doesn't mention anything about Rob Rock doing the vocals. Is this "Andy Lyon" Rob Rock under an alias? The voice sounds almost the same.

I have a question regarding Rob Rock. In HH's page, the lead singer in Angelica's S/T is listed as "Andy Lyon", besides, I've recently purchased Angelica's Greatest Hits and the singer in the S/T tracks is also credited as "Andy Lyon", and the booklet doesn't mention anything about Rob Rock doing the vocals. Is this "Andy Lyon" Rob Rock under an alias? The voice sounds almost the same.

I am about as far off an Angelica expert as there is, but having just bought all their CDs I think I recall there was one CD (was it the debut?) that listed someone else as the lead singer, and the photos featured this new person... but then it said in the credits that all vocals were done by Rob Rock. So what I assume happened was that the CD was recorded with Rob Rock but he left the band before the CD was released and all photos and line-ups were done to include the new guy. :) That's my guess anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go guys..... here's the lowdown on Rob Rock's involvement with Angelica:

http://www.angelfire.com/yt/robrock/angelica.html

"Angelica" (CD09061) was recorded on June-July 1989, release in 1989 under Intense Records, a division of Frontline Music Group. Produced by Dennis Cameron. Vocal production by Ken Tamplin. Recorded at The Mixing Lab A. Engineered by Dave Jahnsen and Eric Kibby. Mixed by Dave Jahnsen. Mastered by John Matousek.

Here are the personal thoughts of Dennis Cameron about "Angelica":

"Angelica started as a vision that I had for an ideal band full of believer musicians. The experience making the first album was to be the "Awakening" for me both as a musician and as a professional. Here's a lesson that I hope any readers can learn from.

The first Angelica album was recorded in Costa Mesa, California with the starting line-up of: Andy Lyon, Scott Ernest, Bob Pallen and myself. The finishing line-up for the album was a little different . . . While in the pre-production stage of making the first album, Andy Lyon, the vocalist (more likely from a lack of experience on all our parts) chose to view the the opportunity to prepare for recording with less enthusiasm than the rest of the band. The result being that after a couple of days of having Ken Tamplin push him in his performance (as Ken was hired to produce the vocals on the album) that the singer "burned out".

At this point, (as humbling as it is to say) we were in need of a singer to salvage the (what was now being refered to as the Dennis Cameron) project. We now needed to find someone to finish out the album. Ken had suggested two replacements, Bob Carlisle or Rob Rock. Having once been a proud owner and fan of the Driver album (Rudy Sarzo, Tommy Aldridge, Tony MacAlpine and Rob Rock) Rob was the easy pick of the two to best suite the music style. At the time of recording, Rob was in the process of regrouping a new version of Driver and was rehearsing and recording with them as well as doing the session work for Angelica. What a trooper he was! I can remember Rob coming to the sessions with this big red swollen throat saying that he had just come from Driver rehearsals and that he was pumped and ready. Not withholding, Rob would assume his best Iron Maiden pose in the vocal booth and trek on with our sessions.

Rob's voice was in a higher range than Andy's, which meant that some of the vocal melodies had to be reworked to fit his voice. For example, the original version of "Shine On Me" melody started on a major 3rd, but was transposed to the 5th for Rob. We finished the album a couple of weeks late due to all the mayhem and I returned home (Ontario, Canada) wondering how I was going to continue with this band under these circumstances."

Source: Dennis Cameron's interview in Christian Metal Resource and The Official Dennis Cameron website

Track Listing:

1. There's Only One Hero (Cameron/Lyon)

2. Are You Satisfied (Cameron/Lyon)

3. I Believe (Cameron/Lyon)

4. Danger Zone (Cameron/Lyon)

5. Shine On Me (Cameron/Lyon)

6. Only A Man (Cameron/Lyon)

7. One Step at a Time (Cameron)

8. Will I Ever Learn (Cameron)

9. Take Me (Cameron/Lyon)

10. Ahh! (Cameron)

11. S.O.S (Cameron/Lyon)

12. Face to Face (Cameron)*

All Songs © 1989 Broken Songs (ASCAP)

• 1 year later...
Guest force perspective

I had emailed Dennis about this about a year ago. Here is what he said:

"Andy was ill prepared for the studio on the first album, didn't work hard enough and Ken was pushing him pretty hard...take after take after take to try and get a decent performance. His voice eventually gave out and we had to salvage the project somehow. Ken gave me a few choices of singers and I went with Rob Rock to do the gig. Andy was never formally kicked out or anything, he just went home and never contacted me after that. Pretty strange in hind sight, and kind of funny."

The vocals on that first album are pretty stunning. How he reaches those notes on "Shine On Me" is beyond me. Don't keep any glassware near the stereo when you're playing it...

I think their first 3 albums are all worth having...

The first Angelica cd is for me their best. The next 2 were good but RR adds a little extra which makes it very enjoyable.

I agree, I thought their first was the best for this reason (Rob Rock). I had the tape the first week it came out. I remember being so excited for Walkin in Faith to come out. I bought it the first day and unfortunatly was disappointed. They got softer and no Mr. Rock on vocals. I understand most like Walkin In Faith more. But to each his own I guess. Oh by the way, when cruising throught cable tv the other day I saw Rob Rock on TBN singing old hymns!!! My wife and I found it pretty funny. Rob is still one of my favorite singers.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Andy Lyons or Rob Rock - I don't care. I love the 1st album (well, that's the only one that I have in my iPod). I thinks this Dennis Cameron was/is the only guy in White/Christian metal who can come close to Rex Carroll.

• My Little Pony

Rob could sing the cookbook and i would be interested...

I would cook the shit out that cookbook, if Rob Rock sang it to me.

• My Little Pony

Of everything I've heard Rob Rock sing on (M.A.R.S., Angelica, Impellitteri, Avantasia, Fires of Babylon, Avalon, what else?) I still prefer his solo work. Most especially his latest effort, "Garden of Chaos."

Of everything I've heard Rob Rock sing on (M.A.R.S., Angelica, Impellitteri, Avantasia, Fires of Babylon, Avalon, what else?) I still prefer his solo work. Most especially his latest effort, "Garden of Chaos."

That Garden of Chaos release is excellent and my fav of his solo stuff....probably the best thing he has done....IMO

• 4 years later...
On 4/1/2013 at 3:01 PM, force perspective said:

here are Angelica's 2 demos which i remastered. This has ANDY LYON on vocals. Rock on!

http://ge.tt/3yhdHrS/v/0?c

**note** you must create a login to Ge.tt to download

I know this is from a while back ago but this link is dead. Is there anyone who might still have this that would be willing to re-upload this? Thanks! 

5 hours ago, macphreak said:

I know this is from a while back ago but this link is dead. Is there anyone who might still have this that would be willing to re-upload this? Thanks! 

Here you go. Angelica's demos with Andy Lyon on vocals:

https://we.tl/t-vc17XGXORd