question

• My Little Pony

does anyone know if this music still has a big audience?

Um... yes. Many of the big players in Metalcore, Hardcore are Christians. Some in the Hard Rock and Metal scene, too. I personally hate the moniker "Christian Music." There is no such thing. But that's a rant for another thread. ;}

• 1 month later...
Guest dtate99

Hey I'm looking for a way to get back into Christian Hard Rock/Metal. I'm looking to find an online radio station that will play ONLY this kind of music. I've listened to the Message on Sirius/Xm but even adjusting "My Message" to play more "rock" songs is still too pop for my tastes. I've tried starting radio stations on Itunes but I can't seem to separate secular acts from the Christian acts. I love a lot of the music I hear on "Octane" on Sirius/Xm but I'm trying to find a way to enjoy more positive lyrics without sacrificing the aggressive sound I love so much.

My favorite band of all time is Dream Theater, but I also love the newer metal sounds like Trivium, Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, etc.

I would greately appreciate a helpful comment to get headed in the right direction. Thanks!!

Here's some modern Christian bands whose sound would easily fit into Sirius Octane's format:

Ashes Remain

Decyfer Down

Disciple

Jonah 33

Kutless (their earlier stuff)

The Letter Black

Nailpoint

Nine Lashes

Pillar

Red

Seventh Day Slumber

7eventh Time Down

Skillet

This Fires Embrace

Thousand Foot Krutch

We As Human

• My Little Pony

Hey I'm looking for a way to get back into Christian Hard Rock/Metal. I'm looking to find an online radio station that will play ONLY this kind of music. I've listened to the Message on Sirius/Xm but even adjusting "My Message" to play more "rock" songs is still too pop for my tastes. I've tried starting radio stations on Itunes but I can't seem to separate secular acts from the Christian acts. I love a lot of the music I hear on "Octane" on Sirius/Xm but I'm trying to find a way to enjoy more positive lyrics without sacrificing the aggressive sound I love so much.

My favorite band of all time is Dream Theater, but I also love the newer metal sounds like Trivium, Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, etc.

I would greately appreciate a helpful comment to get headed in the right direction. Thanks!!

Not sure what you're asking for. Do you just want radio recommendations, or artist suggestions? I can't help you with the former, as I hate radio and, therefore, do not listen to it. But I'm more than happy to help with the latter. Now, do you prefer Metal or Hard Rock? From your suggestions, it looks like Metal. Do you consider Dream Theater to fall under your "Christian" classification? As I've stated above, I hate the "Christian Music" moniker, and I would prefer if we could do away with it, altogether. Dan and moderators, are you reading this? There is no such thing as a "Christian" genre.

Anyway, here are some suggestions. I don't listen to Modern Metal much, so these will be a bit "older."

Amaseffer

This Israeli band decided to tell the story of God using Moses to free the slaves out of the Pharaoh's captivity. They play a form of Progressive Metal mixed with Folk Metal. I don't know if these guys are Christian, or if they're Jews, or neither, but does that matter? It features the incredible Mats Leven on vocals!!

Barren Cross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khDFrnqUOsk

Blessed By A Broken Heart

Perfect example of why the "Christian" prefix needs to go. I believe these boys are believers - they played Christian festivals - but their lyrics don't exactly scream it. It's simply great Metal. Actually, it's more like Power Glam Metalcore. A odd mix that works really well.

Blindside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MHwuJP94wQ

Bloodgood

Bloodstone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjRObcQ71w

Bride

This band was/still is all over the place. Some albums just really worked, while others... I think most people will agree that "Snakes in the Playground" was their best. I haven't heard them all to cast my judgement. But this my favourite song, so far.

The Classic Crime

Not Metal - Modern Rock - but I couldn't leave this band out. Easily one of my favourites. Such great songwriting. Lyrics that will challenge any believer.

• My Little Pony

Disciple

Fire of Babylon

Rob Rock on vocals! That's all you need to know.

First Reign

Here's a little plug for a few friends of mine.

Golden Resurrection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daax2TlPtvg

Impellitteri

Yngwie's rival, and arguably better. Plus, Rob Rock, again!

King James

Kutless

Everyone says their earlier albums are the best, but my favourite was their last Rock album. They, tragically, have turned into a Soft Rock worship band.

Living Sacrifice

• My Little Pony

Neal Morse

Neal Morse is easily one of the greatest songwriters to ever walk this earth. If I listen to an album in the morning, it screws up the rest of my day, 'cause the only thing to follow up a Neal Morse album, is another Neal Morse album. This may not be heavy enough for you, but you'll be hard-pressed to find better performed Progressive Rock/Metal anywhere else. Mike Portnoy - whom you know form Dream Theater - plays on all of his Progressive albums. And if you want positive, convicting lyrics, there is none better.

Orphan Project

Another Progressive project. This one is more Hard Rock than Metal.

Rob Rock

If you don't already know who this is, get familiar. One of the greatest voices in Rock.

Saviour Machine

Goth Metal. Definitely not everyone's cup o' tea. In 1997, Eric Clayton started the "Legend" series which is based on the book of Revelations, and has yet to be finished due to his ongoing issues with his health.

The Showdown

Stryper

Yeah... the Yellow and Black Attack, but the new album is their heaviest and best.

Theocracy

Here's a great Progressive Power Metal band that needs some more recognition. Hints of early Edguy are abound.

Thousand Foot Krutch

• My Little Pony

Whitecross

X-Sinner

AC/DC meets Def Leppard.

Bonus!

Circus Maximus

I don't believe these boys are Christians, but you said Dream Theater were your favourite band, and these guys are often compared to Dream Theater. Just far more Melodic!

Vanden Plas

Again, I don't know if these guys are believers, but this is just more fantastic Progressive Metal.

I think the question was about Internet radio stations, not artists per se.

A Google search for "christian metal radio" pulls up these at the top of the list:

http://www.live365.com/genres/christian%20metal

http://www.fuelradio.fm

http://www.reignradio.com

http://www.theblast.fm

Guest dtate99

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have checked in on the Heavy Harmonies site off and on for the past few years to look at the top picks from the previous years, and rather stumbled onto this forum. I really wasn't certain how active it would be.

To answer questions posed above, I am specifically looking for online Christian radio hard rock/metal stations. I know that way what I'm hearing is specifically Christian music. I am not opposed to "non Christian" music per se, but I am specifially interested in seeing what is out there as Christian (even if the lyrics are not always praise/glory because deep down I like thought provoking lyrics and those regarding anquish and ultimate redemption. Even better is an album that is conceptual a la Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater).

I am 44 yrs old now, so I grew up listening to all the hard rock bands in the 80's like Ratt, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Tesla, and Christian bands including Stryper and Barren Cross. My tastes changed to a more progressive side of metal with the likes of Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Metallica, and later Dream Theater.

I got back into Christian rock again in the late 90s with early Skillet "Hey you I love your soul" but just couldn't really find anything that moved me. Now, with a busy job and 3 kids, I just don't have the time to listen to music like I used to and some of the music on Octane XM/Sirius is more crude that I prefer to listen to. Nor do I want to have to expose my kids to some of the language so I am frequently having to change the channel.

As hard rock/metal music has changed over the last decade, I find that I really like the aggressive sound of current music acts many of which are played on Octane but I did not know where Christian until later on. I still appreciate the progressive side as well as you can imagine with DT being my favorite of all time. While I like some of the screamo bands, I much prefer it if that is part of the singing but not the only singing. And I really don't care for the death growl singing. The music can be very heavy but I prefer cleaner (although sometimes edgy) singing with great choruses.

To the one who mentioned Circus Maximus above...I already own their last two albums and I think Nine is a masterpiece. And, I can't believe I haven't gotten into Neal Morse. I am familiar with his story of conversion to Christianity but just haven't taken the time to delve into his music

Thus, (back to the original point of my first post) I was hoping to find a radio station to hear ongoing samples of Christian hard rock/metal music without having to spend a lot of time and money on the front end listening to snippets of music on I tunes. But I am very much appreciative of the suggestions of bands listed of whom I have never heard. I will refer back to this post and sample the ones particularly listed by KarpetRydOFunk. I particularly am interested in bands of the last 10 yrs or so rather than trying to catch up on the discology of some of these bands which go back 25+ yrs.

One thing I DON'T care for at all is Rap metal, so if some of those bands are on the lists above, please tell me so I won't waste my time. ;)

P.S. KarpetRydOFunk...one band I really have enjoyed discovering this past year is Morph (album is Sintrinity). Progressive rock by two guys from Sweden. Given some of your suggestions above you might want to check it out. I'm hoping for a new album this year. I'll provide a link to a review and some samples of music I hope that is okay if not I suppose the moderator will delete it.

http://morph.bigcartel.com/product/sintrinity

• My Little Pony

One thing I DON'T care for at all is Rap metal, so if some of those bands are on the lists above, please tell me so I won't waste my time. ;)

P.S. KarpetRydOFunk...one band I really have enjoyed discovering this past year is Morph (album is Sintrinity). Progressive rock by two guys from Sweden. Given some of your suggestions above you might want to check it out. I'm hoping for a new album this year. I'll provide a link to a review and some samples of music I hope that is okay if not I suppose the moderator will delete it.

http://morph.bigcartel.com/product/sintrinity

I also don't have any time for Rap Metal, or Rapcore, or whatever it may be called. So none of the above should offend your ears, aside from the screaming of Living Sacrifice. And I will give that Morph a listen, shortly.

Guest dtate99

So...I was out of town on vacation and upon returning have been tied up at work the past two days, but I have been listening to some of the bands mentioned. I've mostly listed to Demon Hunter and Red so far on Spotify and I really like alot of what I've heard. I also listed to the Amaseffer link above (didn't have time to hear all of it but about half) and thought it was pretty amazing.

Karpet, unfortunately the Neal Morse albums are not on Spotify for some reason. Other than Solo Scriptura, can you tell which of his albums are the rock/progressive ones. It looks like he may have released perhaps some "praise" albums. I am probably most interested in Testimony, ?, Solo Scriptura, and Testimony 2 from what I can tell. Any others you would highly recommend?

As far as Morph, I downloaded that album last year after hearing a few songs on Morow (a progressive only radio station). It took me SEVERAL listens to get a feel for the music, but I think you'll be impressed. Let me know what you think.

• My Little Pony

So...I was out of town on vacation and upon returning have been tied up at work the past two days, but I have been listening to some of the bands mentioned. I've mostly listed to Demon Hunter and Red so far on Spotify and I really like alot of what I've heard. I also listed to the Amaseffer link above (didn't have time to hear all of it but about half) and thought it was pretty amazing.

Karpet, unfortunately the Neal Morse albums are not on Spotify for some reason. Other than Solo Scriptura, can you tell which of his albums are the rock/progressive ones. It looks like he may have released perhaps some "praise" albums. I am probably most interested in Testimony, ?, Solo Scriptura, and Testimony 2 from what I can tell. Any others you would highly recommend?

As far as Morph, I downloaded that album last year after hearing a few songs on Morow (a progressive only radio station). It took me SEVERAL listens to get a feel for the music, but I think you'll be impressed. Let me know what you think.

One, Lifeline, and Momentum, and the ones you listed are his Progressive albums. He has a bunch of Pop/Rock albums I haven't heard, plus a handful of Worship albums. But the man also has kept himself incredibly busy being involved in numerous other projects - most Progressive and one Beatles tribute band.

Guest dtate99

Karpetrydofunk, I've managed to listen to almost all of the links you provided. Since I'm more into the progressive metal side of music as my main preference, I was most impressed with Golden Resurrection, Orphan Project, and especially Theocracy. Being from Georgia, I can't believe I hadn't heard of them! But, then again, I've been out of the "music scene" and completely out of touch with Christian Hard Rock/Metal for the last decade.

BTW, I had Funk-O-Metal Carpet Ride back in the day. :P

As I have time, I will look more into the ones that metalmaniac777 listed. If anyone has any other suggestions (again...generally current/new bands as in the last 10 yrs) please submit more names. Thanks again!!!

• 5 years later...
On 6/6/2014 at 9:11 PM, Guest dtate99 said:

https://www.christianclassicrock.net/