LAST AUTUMN'S DREAM LEVEL ELEVEN 75%

SERIOUS BLACK AS DAYLIGHT BREAKS 74%

SAINT'S TRADE ROBBED IN PARADISE 71%

SOTO INSIDE THE VERTIGO 65%

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, I find it hard to make any ratings of a cd until it's like 6 months old. It's like dating. You always rate higher coz things are new and exciting, the smell, the unsmudged cover, pristine cd with no marks. It's just you and her. You crank it up and spin and spin each time she's whispering something new. One night turns into a weekend, then a week.... then something happens as it does with most men, you feel like something else. Soon there's another cd next to the cd player, and another, then a pile.

You need to rate her when she's buried amongst all the others you've been with and not after that first night together!

I'll be amazed to my balls if that Eclipse album keeps the 95% rating. Didn't you learn from last year, Russ. ;) I remember a few monster ratings that had dropped significantly a month or so later. :lol:

Anyway, only 3 albums worth a mention that have been released so far this year and they are Care Of Night, Papa Roach and Eclipse. The rest is all fodder so far.

Admittedly I am yet to hear Devil's Train, but I'm not sure it'll be a world beater.

Anyway, this is going to be a very different year for me. New releases have always taken preference for me every year, to the point where I barely hear an old release though the year. Total opposite this year. I have been thinking about it for an age, but I am no finally going to rate my entire CD collection and catalogue the entire goddamn freakin' thing. I started basically 1st of January this year and have maintained a good pace thus far. Starting from numbers and then going alphabetically, I'm already up to Big Cock. Long, long way to go, but I'm happy with my progress.

Anyway, end result is I'll still be keeping up to date with 2015, but won't have a running up to date list as above. I think I'll get a really good feel for the best albums of the year, though. I really hope I keep doing what I'm doing. :)

I am actually sick of rating albums to the point of where I cant listen to and enjoy an album without thinking in the back of my mind that a weaker song will drag the score down :-(

It drives me mad........

What the hell does it matter anyway what is better than what ?

I don't even think Im gonna rate any albums this year, just group my top 20 most played albums in no particular order.

I might single out my overall fav but that will be based on my most played / returned to (december releases accepted).

• My Little Pony

I am actually sick of rating albums to the point of where I cant listen to and enjoy an album without thinking in the back of my mind that a weaker song will drag the score down :-(

It drives me mad........

I don't even think Im gonna rate any albums this year, just group my top 20 most played albums in no particular order.

I might single out my overall fav but that will be based on my most played / returned to (december releases accepted).

Holy shit. Welcome to the dark side. I've been here by myself for eight years, Didn't think I'd ever see anyone else.

It drives me mad........

Oh come on Glen.

Rating albums is part of the fun!

It drives me mad........

Really, I was going to start rating albums this year. Can someone fill me in on how they rate albums? Is it each track out of 10 and then average it out or something?

• My Little Pony

It drives me mad........

Really, I was going to start rating albums this year. Can someone fill me in on how they rate albums? Is it each track out of 10 and then average it out or something?

Yep.

It drives me mad........

That's the system I use. And no rating for instrumentals/intros/interludes/outros..... etc.

It drives me mad........

That's the system I use. And no rating for instrumentals/intros/interludes/outros..... etc.

Sounds good to me.

Yeah, I don't mind a bit of big cock. How did you rate those 3?

Only got through the first one on Friday and that scored a very handsome 76%. Very good stuff. I especially love 'Take it off.' But I do really dig that band. I can let you know the end result on Monday evening. ;)

As for the merit of rating albums or not, I quite frankly could not care less who does or does not do it, and I 100% appreciate it's not for everyone, and that's totally cool. I get it, from a time standpoint if nothing else. I didn't start doing it for any other reason than I hate stuff being unorganised and messy and all over the place. My music collection is nothing less than a complete shambles. CDs, CDRs & MP3s... I just want them all in order. And I will get there, one decade.

And on a nerdy note, I can't wait to see how a top 10 from 1986-1995 would look, or quite frankly, all of them. As opposed to Glen, I actually quite enjoy it... because I'm a nerd. ;)

Ha ha I thought the same thing but 1989 is a nightmare. Seriously there are at least 20 albums which are all classics and inseparable imo. All prob within 1% of each other so good luck ;-)

I love reviewing cds but it come down to time. Also, I haven't settled on a system. As much as I like how most of you guys do it there's some stuff I need to be thrown into the mix such as - production/sound, x factor/vibe, performance, importance (to scene, band growth etc) and so on.

I find that I'm an album guy and if I just rated the songs it wouldn't give an indication of my best albums. For example, I'm sure Slippery When Wet would rate high for me as individually there are some great songs. 7800 on the other hand doesn't have as monstrous songs, but I love the vibe, the style of songwriting/keys etc. and generally play it more often than slippery.

So if i did a side by side of track ratings slippery would win, but for me 7800 us a better album.

Yep I agree....its why the albums from previous years which I regularly come back to are rarely in my top 5. Which tells me rating songs just doesnt work.

An easy scenario for me is an album with 5 absolute killers on it and a bunch of filler I will come back to all the time over an album full of good 8/10 songs. But it wouldnt score as high on a rating basis.

flawed imo.

Im thinking of compiling my list the Dan way. Also rans, hon mentions and a top 5 but no scores. Just based on instinct and most plays :-)

100% that rating system we use is flawed because of that very reason. The albums with 5 absolutely killer songs and 5 average songs don't rate as high as they should, even though you play them more than others that may be consistently solid, without actually having real ball busters. So yeah, the system is flawed but if someone has a more accurate, better way to do it, I'd be totally on board. For me, though, it's the best, fairest way to rate a full album as a full album. At the end of the day, the truly magnificent albums will rate the highest, and the others won't, and that's what I'm after. I also look forward to my 'Very Best of... (insert year)' discs, which will make sure all the magnificent songs are not forgotten, even if on average discs.

For the record, DaHun, I feel the same about Bon Jovi, and '5800'F' rated higher than 'Slippery when wet' for me (by 6% no less!!!). Surprised me, but when you look at it, it shouldn't. It's a perfect example of what I was talking about above, actually. Probably the best 5 songs from the 2 albums are ALL on 'Slippery...' but, so are the worst 5. '7800'F' is super consistent, and imo, super awesome.

As for incorporating production/sound, vibe and performance; they are 3 key parts of my rating system. For instance, I have a collection of Bad English demos (that yes, I did rate, lol) that, recorded well, would basically be 10/10 from start to end. Some stunning songs there. But because there is no production, I can't give any more than a 7. But yeah, the production, vibe and quality of musicianship is a massive part of what makes up my score. It isn't just simply if the song is "good" or not. I don't call myself a nerd for nothin'. ;)

That seems like a high score for an album of 12 tracks with only 2 being awesome. What's your definition of a filler? What does a filler rate out of 10?

Obviously this is all subjective but looking at that info I couldn't imagine the album rating more than 40-50% based on the number of fillers.

That seems like a high score for an album of 12 tracks with only 2 being awesome. What's your definition of a filler? What does a filler rate out of 10?

Obviously this is all subjective but looking at that info I couldn't imagine the album rating more than 40-50% based on the number of fillers.

I was just throwing out a random example.

Rating should also be accompanied by your current mood:

When you're in the mood to 'smash shit up' this rating will be represented by SSU

When you're in the mood for 'lets go driving' this rating is represented by LGD

When you're in the mood to 'make sweet loving' this rating shall be represented by MSL.

Add in drinks consumed aswell i think, eg DC 6 equals six beers consumed at time of rating)

For example

Murderdrdolls - Beyond The Valley
82% (10K, 5F, SSU 97%, LGD 89%, MSL 13%, DC 6)

This way you can truly judge the mood of an album

Rating should also be accompanied by your current mood:

When you're in the mood to 'smash shit up' this rating will be represented by SSU

When you're in the mood for 'lets go driving' this rating is represented by LGD

When you're in the mood to 'make sweet loving' this rating shall be represented by MSL.

Add in drinks consumed aswell i think, eg DC 6 equals six beers consumed at time of rating)

For example

Murderdrdolls - Beyond The Valley

82% (10K, 5F, SSU 97%, LGD 89%, MSL 13%, DC 6)

This way you can truly judge the mood of an album

:rofl::rofl2::lol: