Stryper - Second Coming

Stefan

Listen to a sample of the newie 'Blackened':

http://chirb.it/3fNpD6

That sounds awesome. Wow I'd prefer a new CD of this compared to re-recordings of weaker tunes. :( That's a much better actual song than the 3 re-recordings posted above.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, my main concern about this is the quality of the tracks they've selected. Of those three, 'More than a man' and 'The rock that makes me roll' are terrible... but that's because they were in the first place. Immediate skips when originally recorded - why re-record them? What it needs is some of their treasures like 'You Won't Be Lonely,' 'Waiting for a Love That's Real' ... and just looking at their first 3 albums I forgot, there's really not much great stuff to choose from. 'In God We Trust' is really where they started to be a decent band. Thankfully they have realised these songs don't need to be re-recorded.

For me In god we trust was also where they really hit their stride, and just didnt stop running with Against the law, those two were the defining albums of Strypers original run.

I love the title track of In god we trust, but think the re-recorded version they did on their comeback album was amazing.

Its much easier to ruin a great track by re-recording it than improve a less good track in my opinion, but I have the utmost faith in the modern Stryper to not ruin anything as they have not had a bad album since IGWT.

Again, my main concern about this is the quality of the tracks they've selected. Of those three, 'More than a man' and 'The rock that makes me roll' are terrible... but that's because they were in the first place. Immediate skips when originally recorded - why re-record them? What it needs is some of their treasures like 'You Won't Be Lonely,' 'Waiting for a Love That's Real' ... and just looking at their first 3 albums I forgot, there's really not much great stuff to choose from. 'In God We Trust' is really where they started to be a decent band. Thankfully they have realised these songs don't need to be re-recorded.

For me In god we trust was also where they really hit their stride, and just didnt stop running with Against the law, those two were the defining albums of Strypers original run.

I love the title track of In god we trust, but think the re-recorded version they did on their comeback album was amazing.

Its much easier to ruin a great track by re-recording it than improve a less good track in my opinion, but I have the utmost faith in the modern Stryper to not ruin anything as they have not had a bad album since IGWT.

I don't know, most would agree that they hit their commercial stride with THWTD but as good as the newer albums are, nothing touches the first 5 for me.

In god we trust was also where they really hit their stride

In God We Trust is just a carbon copy of To Hell With The Devil... it kicks off with the heavy title song, followed by the "pop" rock song (which was, of course, released as the first single)... even the ballads are in the same positions in the running order as the ones on THWTD. You can practically hear the band in the studio saying "OK guys, since we sold a shitload of the last album, we're gonna do another one EXACTLY LIKE IT!"

In God We Trust is just a carbon copy of To Hell With The Devil... it kicks off with the heavy title song, followed by the "pop" rock song (which was, of course, released as the first single)... even the ballads are in the same positions in the running order as the ones on THWTD. You can practically hear the band in the studio saying "OK guys, since we sold a shitload of the last album, we're gonna do another one EXACTLY LIKE IT!"

You're exactly right. Good analogy!

By the way, I wrote an entry about "Second Coming" on my blog @ HubPages if anybody wants to give it a look...

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/STRYPER-Returns-With-Second-Coming-CD

You're exactly right. Good analogy!

the funny thing is bands gets killed for doing an album just like that last one and bands gets killed because they don't do an album like the last one.

the funny thing is bands gets killed for doing an album just like that last one and bands gets killed because they don't do an album like the last one.

Lotsa bands will do a follow up to a successful record that sounds kinda sorta like its big predecessor, but In God We Trust was almost too freakin' blatant. It was like they just Xeroxed To Hell With the Devil, put a new cover on it and changed the song titles. Every song on In God We Trust is an analogue to a track on To Hell With the Devil. Hey Stryper, your formula is showing. :D

The evidence:

"To Hell With the Devil" = "In God We Trust" (big heavy opening anthem)

"Calling On You" = "Always There For You" (poppy, radio friendly rock track, first single)

"Free" = "Keep the Fire Burning" (big-chorused rock anthem)

"Honestly" = "I Believe In You" (power ballad)

"The Way" = "Writing's On The Wall" (heavy track to mark the album's mid point)

"Sing Along Song" = "It's Up 2 U" (irritating, lame ass crowd-response track)

"Holding On" = "The World of You and I" (pop song)

"Rockin' the World" = "Come to the Everlife" (big chorused rock anthem)

"All Of Me" = "Lonely" (power ballad)

"More Than A Man" = "The Reign" (show stopping heavy album closer)

...okay, maybe the only ones that don't quite match up are "Holding On" and "The World Of You And I," (they're both "pop" tracks in my book, but "Holding On" is more of a "rock" song whilst "The World..." is sorta ballad-ish), but other than these exceptions, the two albums sync up almost as well as Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" matches with "The Wizard of Oz." :blink:

...and yes, I realize I have probably spent way too much time analyzing this. But it's bugged me for YEARS! I'm like "I can't be the ONLY one who's noticed this!" :rofl2:

Lotsa bands will do a follow up to a successful record that sounds kinda sorta like its big predecessor, but In God We Trust was almost too freakin' blatant. It was like they just Xeroxed To Hell With the Devil, put a new cover on it and changed the song titles. Every song on In God We Trust is an analogue to a track on To Hell With the Devil. Hey Stryper, your formula is showing. :D

The evidence:

"Calling On You" = "Always There For You" (poppy, radio friendly rock track, first single)

...okay, maybe the only ones that don't quite match up are "Holding On" and "The World Of You And I," (they're both "pop" tracks in my book, but "Holding On" is more of a "rock" song whilst "The World..." is sorta ballad-ish), but other than these exceptions, the two albums sync up almost as well as Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" matches with "The Wizard of Oz." :blink:

...and yes, I realize I have probably spent way too much time analyzing this. But it's bugged me for YEARS! I'm like "I can't be the ONLY one who's noticed this!" :rofl2:

You are forgetting one thing though...regardless, both albums kick ass! :)

The evidence:

You are not the only one. I've thought the same since the day IGWT came out.

But, as the above posts say they both kick ass!

Ehhh... IGWT is a'ight. THWTD is definitely the superior disc. I've never been able to fully enjoy IGWT because of the whole "same bread in a new wrapper" feeling I got from it....

Now Against the Law, on the other hand...THAT kicks ass! :beerbang:

• My Little Pony

Ehhh... IGWT is a'ight. THWTD is definitely the superior disc. I've never been able to fully enjoy IGWT because of the whole "same bread in a new wrapper" feeling I got from it....

I always said my favourite albums were the first and last. But then they released all those other ones after Against the Law. Still, my favourites are TYABA and ATL.

ATL is killer!!!!

You misquoted me though, I said "TO ME its where they hit their stride"

Whether the structure was the same, the songs were just miles better for me. There are probably only three songs on THWTD that I think are great, there are a lot more on IGWT.

That said, neither of those albums is a patch on ATL.

Whether the structure was the same, the songs were just miles better for me. There are probably only three songs on THWTD that I think are great, there are a lot more on IGWT.

Really? For me the only thing better on IGWT is the production. The songs are no where as good IMO.

Really? For me the only thing better on IGWT is the production. The songs are no where as good IMO.

I agree with Howdy. I trust Keef's parallel of the two albums, but I have to admit I was never a big enough fan to ever notice that. I will say, though, like Howdy, similar or not, the songs on 'IGWT' destroy the songs on 'THWTD' and I also only really like 2 or 3 songs off that CD, and plenty off 'IGWT'.

I agree with Howdy. I trust Keef's parallel of the two albums, but I have to admit I was never a big enough fan to ever notice that. I will say, though, like Howdy, similar or not, the songs on 'IGWT' destroy the songs on 'THWTD' and I also only really like 2 or 3 songs off that CD, and plenty off 'IGWT'.

I can respect that but I wonder what the total sales were vs. each other. Anyone know?

I listened to each of them back to back and I honestly don't see them close at all. In fact, I would say THWTD murders IGWT. All of Me is the only filler on the album.

I can respect that but I wonder what the total sales were vs. each other. Anyone know?

According to my good friend, Dr. Wik E. Peedia, "To Hell..." went platinum (1,000,000 sales) in the U.S. and "In God..." went gold (half a million).

According to my good friend, Dr. Wik E. Peedia, "To Hell..." went platinum (1,000,000 sales) in the U.S. and "In God..." went gold (half a million).

Sounds like a half a Million people knew what they were talking about ;)

If that was the case, how comes they didnt buy the best Stryper album. Against the law didnt even go gold.

They got caught up in a Perfect Storm - their change in image/attitude didn't go over very well with their Christian fanbase, who thought they'd turned their backs on God, and the tide of grunge music beginning to rise certainly didn't help matters either.

Why are they doing this?

It's easier to get rack space in major retailers like Wal-Mart or Best Buy with a "Greatest Hits" pack than with an album of new material that most people won't give a sh*t about.

That said, a whole new album of fresh material is already in the works so it looks like we'll get two Stryper discs in the same year. I'm OK with that.

Also a new Michael Sweet solo album due this year.

Plus, Michael is putting the finishing touches on his autobiography too, which will be published later this year. Geez, when does he sleep? :blink:

If that was the case, how comes they didnt buy the best Stryper album. Against the law didnt even go gold.

They got caught up in a Perfect Storm - their change in image/attitude didn't go over very well with their Christian fanbase, who thought they'd turned their backs on God, and the tide of grunge music beginning to rise certainly didn't help matters either.

Yep, what he said. Not to mention they picked the worst song on the album to lead off with. By far the most strange choice of a track to even add to the album let alone as the 1st single. Combine that with the album coming out right before Nirvana hit it big (1990-1991) and you get what you got. I have to agree though...as much as I love THWTD, Law was the best album they could have made at that time. It could be argued very easily that it's their best.

Why are they doing this?

It's easier to get rack space in major retailers like Wal-Mart or Best Buy with a "Greatest Hits" pack than with an album of new material that most people won't give a sh*t about.

That said, a whole new album of fresh material is already in the works so it looks like we'll get two Stryper discs in the same year. I'm OK with that.

Also a new Michael Sweet solo album due this year.

Plus, Michael is putting the finishing touches on his autobiography too, which will be published later this year. Geez, when does he sleep? :blink:

I can tell you I will be first in line to buy this. I may read straight through until I finish it. Cannot wait!

isn't it pretty much been said by the band themselves that although they didn't admitt it at the time the Against The Law time period the band was a mess as a unit and each member individualy? they had gotten caught up in the "rock n roll life". I think I even heard M Sweet say that before he did his first solo album the record company had him on a 2 year probation period to make sure he had his life back in order???? I swear I read that.