Party tunes...

Dark

So at the end of May the Missus and I are throwing a party to celebrate my 40th and it will be our 10 year anniversary of being together. The missus music taste has slipped in to pop over the years so we've decided to split the music in to two sections. The party starts at 7pm until midnight so we thought pop could play from 7 until around 9:30pm and then the real music can start! So i have 2.5 hours to fill and i need to provide the playlist to the DJ who isn't familiar with rock. So far i have:

Bai Bang - Stay
Blessed By A Broken Heart - Shut Up And Rock
Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer
Bullet For My Valentine - No Easy Way Out
Crazy Lixx - 21 'til I Die
Dan Reed Network - Ritual
Firehouse - All She Wrote
Gun - Word Up
Guns N Roses - Night Train
H.E.A.T. - 1000 Miles
Journey - Don't Stop Believin
Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
Rock Sugar - Round and Seperated
Skid Row - Youth Gone Wild
Sven Gali - Under The Influence
Wig Wam - Rocket Through My Heart
I suppose i'm looking for some inspiration to fill the list out a bit.

Haha, sounds like my wedding video. We submitted about 20 songs to the videographer - about 10 of my wife's pop and r&B tunes, and about 10 of mine. Only problem was when we got the video, he'd used all my songs. :lol: I should have been happy, but I felt pretty bad for the wife as she's all like 'what on earth is all this shit over my wedding video?' Oh well...

Anyway, aside from putting any other song from Gun's entire discography rather than 'Word Up,' say, 'Steal your fire' for instance, looks like a pretty cool list.

Anyway, pointless for me to suggest stuff for your party, but a few I'd probably put on the list:

Party all over - Treat (or 'Ready for the taking')

Fallen Angel - Poison

Love bomb baby - Tigertailz

Pedal to the metal - Bang Gang

Rock n' Roll (Is gonna set the night on fire) - PBF

Take this heart of mine - Cold Sweat

Come play the game - Heaven's Edge

Loaded and alone - Hinder

I dunno mate... anything that tickles your fancy! Make the most of the allotted time. ;)

Eli-One More Drink

Steel Panther-Just Like Tiger Woods/Party Like Tomorrow Is The End Of The World

Pretty Reckless-Animal Attraction

Sweet F.A-Rhythm Of Action

Grand Design-When The Greatest Love Of All Kicks In

Trixter-What It Takes

to name but a few :)

Haha, good call. A party is not a party without Steel Panther! 'Tiger Woods' would be a good one.

Haha, sounds like my wedding video. We submitted about 20 songs to the videographer - about 10 of my wife's pop and r&B tunes, and about 10 of mine. Only problem was when we got the video, he'd used all my songs. :lol: I should have been happy, but I felt pretty bad for the wife as she's all like 'what on earth is all this shit over my wedding video?' Oh well...

Anyway, aside from putting any other song from Gun's entire discography rather than 'Word Up,' say, 'Steal your fire' for instance, looks like a pretty cool list.

Anyway, pointless for me to suggest stuff for your party, but a few I'd probably put on the list:

Party all over - Treat (or 'Ready for the taking')

Fallen Angel - Poison

Love bomb baby - Tigertailz

Pedal to the metal - Bang Gang

Rock n' Roll (Is gonna set the night on fire) - PBF

Take this heart of mine - Cold Sweat

Come play the game - Heaven's Edge

Loaded and alone - Hinder

I dunno mate... anything that tickles your fancy! Make the most of the allotted time. ;)

Woops, does your wedding video ever get played by anyone other than you? :)

Ok i've got all those tracks apart from Bang Gang in my unsorted folder. I know Poison, PBF and Tigertailz from years ago and was contemplating Love Bomb Baby. Cheers Geoff, i'll see what i can queue up before the big day.

Eli-One More Drink

Steel Panther-Just Like Tiger Woods/Party Like Tomorrow Is The End Of The World

Pretty Reckless-Animal Attraction

Sweet F.A-Rhythm Of Action

Grand Design-When The Greatest Love Of All Kicks In

Trixter-What It Takes

to name but a few :)

Good call on Steel Panther! I need to listen to the albums as i've only heard odd tracks here and there so far. The only other track i have from that list is Trixter. I've got nothing by Sweet F.A. at all.

Personally if it was a party I'd go for some good old classic rock/metal, but that's just me ..........you know Whitesnake, AC/DC, Maiden, Queen etc.

But i'd defo throw a bit of what yourve got above into the mix too........depends on what your party goers know / are into.

When someone says party song instantly I think of 'Summertime Girl' from Y&T or 'Dance The Night Away' from Van Halen.

We are a firm believer in it's a party for us so the music played should be what we like and want to hear. Having said that i don't want to completely alienate the guests. So a mix of the most popular with some more obscure tracks only maybe i would know mixed is what i'm aiming for. Hence Livin' On A Prayer being in there. Most will know and like it and i only tend to enjoy it when pissed so i'll play it later in the playlist :)

We did something similar at our wedding reception and Gun's Word Up went down a storm. Most of the guests hadn't heard it before and loved it. So it's going in again.

My ears pick up on guitars and a good vocalist. Guitars can be quite simple but i'm a sucker for a good riff, solo and a hook. The vocals (and i suppose the song as a whole) needs to go places too, if the singer has a good range and let's rip when a song climaxes i'm in.

• My Little Pony

Mindless lyrics, but after you've put back a few beers you'll be singing along at the top of your voice.

Ain't no feckin' party without KIX! That's a fact!

Some Electric Boys, because every party needs a bit of swagger.

And a Bit more swagger for good measure.

Haven't heard anything by Great King Rat, House of Lords, Sturm Und Drang, Wall of Silence, Von Groove, Blue Tears before and the H.E.A.T track is on the only album i've not got by them. I'll have a listen to those when i can. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hmm another artist i've not heard anything by. Will check them out, thanks.

Heavens Edge and Hinder have been loaded up for next weeks listening on the back of suggestions in this thread ;-)

Haven't heard anything by Great King Rat, House of Lords, Sturm Und Drang, Wall of Silence, Von Groove, Blue Tears before and the H.E.A.T track is on the only album i've not got by them. I'll have a listen to those when i can. Thanks for the suggestions!

You've never heard any House Of Lords before?!

• My Little Pony

You've never heard any House Of Lords before?!

Nope, I've got some somewhere though. I'll have to dig it out.

Haven't heard any Helix before either.

What about that Beastie Boys song.....you that song they did.....they only had one song right? ?

Seriously though I have found with parties in the past as much as I want and love to play my obscure (to most) MHR and hair metal etc. It isn't all that well received by the masses.

That's why I look to play stuff that people know. Bon Jovi and Whitesnake anthems always go down well toward the end when everyone is getting rowdy but for the most part I stick to classic rock like Glen suggests as well as lots of modern radio friendly rock ie Train, Goo Goo Dolls, Vertical Horizon, Nine Days, Journey, Roxette, Nik Kershaw, Corey Hart..... then maybe a few songs by Faith No More and Rage Against the Machine.

Was thinking some modern rock like The Maine and Boys Like Girls is some good fun party music too.

Now I know that was all very non heavy harmonies and I should probably be banished for such a post so I thought I'd make up for it by suggesting an album which is full of excellent party songs -

7th Heaven - USA UK, I reckon a few tracks off that (and Silver) would go down a treat.

But at the end of the day it's about your crowd really....if you think they will dig Danger Danger - Monkey Business then go for it...have a blast mate. PS another cool topic...your on fire breayhing some fresh air into these forums. Cheers.

I predict i'll be the only one rockin' out on the dance floor but i don't care :) I've paid for the venue, the food, the DJ and we've got a room booked to stay the night. I'm going to have fun!

But i get your point, i think i'll pad it out with some well known tunes but i'll try and keep it in a similar vein so it has a flow. I've yet to play with the running order but i'd like it to build to some kind of climax (well to my ears anyway).

In theory the crowd will have had 3 hours of mainstream music and hard drinking time so they should be pissed enough to dance to anything.

Oh and i'm pleased i've stumbled across and been welcomed in to such a cool place with some impeccable music taste. Thank you for having me!

• My Little Pony

Seriously though I have found with parties in the past as much as I want and love to play my obscure (to most) MHR and hair metal etc. It isn't all that well received by the masses.

That's why I look to play stuff that people know. Bon Jovi and Whitesnake anthems always go down well toward the end when everyone is getting rowdy but for the most part I stick to classic rock like Glen suggests as well as lots of modern radio friendly rock ie Train, Goo Goo Dolls, Vertical Horizon, Nine Days, Journey, Roxette, Nik Kershaw, Corey Hart..... then maybe a few songs by Faith No More and Rage Against the Machine.

This is unfortunately true. Pretty much everything I suggested, even I wouldn't put on my mix. I've been DJing parties for ten years now, and I had to learn the hard way that it's not about you and what music you like. It's about the crowd, and catering to the atmosphere.