Paris - The World Outside

Stefan

Paris-2016.jpg

From melodicrock.com:

MelodicRock Records is excited to announce a new partnership with French melodic rock band PARIS. The band’s new album ‘The World Outside’, will be released via MRR on July 1 in two configurations – the regular edition and a limited Special Edition featuring 2 exclusive bonus tracks.
This follows the band’s debut album ‘Only One Life’ (produced by Alessandro Del Vecchio) which was released in 2013.
PARIS are:
Frédéric Dechavanne: Lead & Backing Vocals, Keyboards
Sébastien Montet: Lead & Rhythm Guitars
For album number two, the PARIS story hasn't changed: it's still the story of two friends since the youngest of age, growing up in the suburbs of Paris and fancying the same kind of music in the second half of the eighties! Life separated the pair geographically, but music kept them united.
‘The World Outside’ is expertly produced and mastered by Steve Newman - further entwining himself in the PARIS story. The British melodic rock singer/producer had added background vocals on the debut and repeats that role here, adding his voice once again to the rich harmonies on this album.
The result is the perfect mix of the band’s pleasing AOR debut, with the harmony drenched trademark that is found on the NEWMAN records.
Rounding out this album’s lineup is Steve's English teammates David Bartlett (bass) and Rob McEwen (drums), ensuring the best possible presentation for these songs.
And because the PARIS story is all based on friendship, Seb made sure that Robert Säll was involved again on one song, like on the debut and Alessandro Del Vecchio adds backing vocals on one track.
Frédéric says: “We're still writing songs together and we have a bunch of great tunes waiting in the vault, either for a next PARIS album or for any band or artist that requires new material.”

Credits:
Frédéric Dechavanne: Lead Vocals, Keyboards, Additional Background Vocals on ‘End Of My World’, ‘Looking For You’, ‘This Broken Heart’ & ‘Stronger’
Sébastien Montet: All Guitars, Keyboards, Additional Background Vocals on ‘Don’t Say A Word’, ‘In My Eyes’ & ‘When You Find Love’
Additional Musicians:
Steve Newman: Background Vocals, Additional Guitar On ‘Unreachable’
David Bartlett: Bass, Background Vocals
Rob McEwen: Drums, Percussion
Special Guests:
Robert Säll: guitar (main solo) on ‘When You Find Love’
Alessandro Del Vecchio: Background vocals on ‘End Of My World’
Jean-Marc Perz: Additional Background Vocals on ‘Don’t Say A Word’, ‘In My Eyes’ & ‘When You Find Love’
Produced & Mastered By Steve Newman
Arranged by PARIS and Steve Newman Recorded at Chrome Dome, London (UK), Studio 109, Herblay (France) and Magic Moon Lane, Lüneburg (Germany)
Executive producers: Frédéric Dechavanne & Sébastien Montet
RELEASE DATE: July 1
GENRE: Melodic Rock / AOR
CAT#: MRR046

paris-theworldoutside.jpg

Tracks:

01. End Of My World
02. When You Find Love
03. Looking For You
04. Kitesurfing
05. This Broken Heart
06. I Feel Fine
07. Tears In Your Heart
08. In My Eyes
09. Haunted
10. Unreachable
11. Stronger (Special Edition - Bonus Track)
12. Don’t Say A Word (Special Edition - Bonus Track)

'Twas a very fine debut... looking forward to the new one. Even if that new song just sounds like a Newman leftover...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've only had time to spin this once so far but I thought it was very good... even better than their impressive debut. I found it far more consistent.

It murders any recent Newman albums, too. It sounds like the type of album Newman should still be releasing, rather than avoiding what I assume he believes is too "basic?"

I agree it's better than the debut but I still like Newman's last three albums, so maybe I think they're probably quite side by side score-wise, only I think Newman is more matured and probably serve a better musicianship than Paris.

I agree it's better than the debut but I still like Newman's last three albums, so maybe I think they're probably quite side by side score-wise, only I think Newman is more matured and probably serve a better musicianship than Paris.

I like all Newman albums, but none of them hold my attention like the first three albums did. I'm sure he has matured and thinks writing songs about really, really uninteresting subjects is a sign of that maturity, but I guess for me, listening to something like Paris, I just think that sometimes the simpler subject matters make for much better songs.

I like good lyrics about interesting subjects, but I hate poor lyrics about "deeper" subject matters as they just sound really, really stupid to me. Without being to harsh, I think Newman sounds a lot more intelligent singing about lying alone in a bed at 4am thinking about a girl than he does singing about arctic science missions or whatever shit he sings about these days. ;)

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I threw an 80% at it. It's a very solid album, but the 80% more or less consists of 10 x 8/10 songs... which is cool, but albums that really draw me in need a few 9/10's to make my completely erect. But this is nice.

You gave that song above 8/10?? Wow.

Pretty average - more like a 6 to me - the best part was the solo.

Yeah, pretty average... it's only my favourite song on the album.

Wowser mate. Really. I thought the chorus was pretty painful :(

Wowser mate. Really. I thought the chorus was pretty painful :(

My comments on the song read as such:

"some really questionable lyrics again, but otherwise it's just delicious mid-tempo melodic rock… just what I dig"

And yeah, just listening back to it there it does sound kind of b-grade to be honest, but still nice. A great musical track... no doubt some poorly written lyrics, though. And yeah, the first half of the chorus itself is pretty averagely written.

The intro was nice ;)

Haha. The whole musical track is nice. The music itself is definitely the highlight of the album, as a lot of the songs are very basically written. But musically it's nice melodic rock.

• 3 months later...

Solid album, but lacking in replay value. It doesn't even feature in my top 30, which I thought it would for sure. Very solid Newman-ish album... but not outstanding, imo.

The main issue is the vocals (and lyrics).

Music is good as demonstrated in 'Haunted'......solos are great, vocals make me cringe.

Production is killer too. But yeah, there is an element or two missing. For me it just sounds hollow, for lack of a better word. Sounds like an album someone else has penned for them and there's none of them in it.

I like it but yeah not those albums that you like to spin frequently but i'm thinking once in three months should be ok. So far it's still in my top 15 but maybe over time, it'll slightly fade away to top 20 or more