Hard Rock Diamonds... legit or bootleg label?

Just got an email from musicbuymail announcing "reissues" that has all the warning signs of being illegal bootlegs, in which case I'm VERY disappointed that MBM is supporting this:

1. The CDs are ONLY available through the MBM newsletter, not on their storefront.

2. The company is based in Brazil.

3. The product is CD-Rs ("silver-pressed CD-R" is an oxymoron).

4. 25 titles per month with 75 ready to go already? No way they're releasing titles that quickly if this were legit and contracts were being negotiated and signed.

Text from email:

We are happy to offer some great new stuff which is available only through our newsletter:

Welcome to a new and exciting reissue company based in Brazil called Hard Rock Diamonds. They specialize in extremely rare and hard to find AOR, hard rock and melodic metal releases from the past. All titles are sealed silver-pressed CD-R's. You can pay hundreds of dollars for the original pressings if you can find them or you can get these mega rarities for a fraction of the cost of the original. Great value for your money and it enables all collectors to own & enjoy these rare and sought after CD's.

25 new titles will be released each month.

I hope I'm wrong and that this is legit, but out of the gate it smells like last week's diapers.

Supposed current title list (click on the images to view at full size):

HardRockDiamonds_ExtraNewsletter-1.png

HardRockDiamonds_ExtraNewsletter-2.png

HardRockDiamonds_ExtraNewsletter-3.png

These are bootlegs - cd-r's...The triple Threat was only released as a cassette (I have the cassette)...Fortress was only released on Vinyl...same with Hawkey...never officially released same for Picture perfect. Hail Mary was on vinyl and cassette. The guy in Brazil I heard of who got all this stuff from a collector in the US and just transferred and converted all to cd. Beware buyers. The bands have never authorized these releases. I have most of these on original cassette and Vinyl.

I believe these have been showing up in Japan the last month. I'd have to see the logo to verify. They have been selling for about 2500 yen a piece.

Oh yeah, 100% bootleg.

I believe these have been showing up in Japan the last month. I'd have to see the logo to verify. They have been selling for about 2500 yen a piece.

Oh yeah, 100% bootleg.

Wow...the guy is making money and robbing the Artist...I have the Rhoades Vinyl Album....which never see the light of day on cd...mine is in Mint condition...someone offered me $2,500 US for it.

Yes. Those are just bootlegs as you are thinking and someone has already said. The reason is because some of those bands I know and would not release their music ever in that format. Some do not even want to think about the bands anymore. I'll let the bands I am familiar with know about this nonsense.

Also, I'll believe that the guy is from Brazil when I see it. For now it smells awfully funny.

First thing that stood out to me is the Reckless Love CD. Somehow I doubt a band like them would be releasing a CD like that through some random label in Brazil.

Its probably a compilation of their early EPs such as Speed Princess. If anyone was gonna release that it would be their current record label, not Joe Bloggs in Brazil.

First thing that stood out to me is the Reckless Love CD. Somehow I doubt a band like them would be releasing a CD like that through some random label in Brazil.

Its probably a compilation of their early EPs such as Speed Princess. If anyone was gonna release that it would be their current record label, not Joe Bloggs in Brazil.

SISTER caught my eye as well. Metal Blade Records or whatever label they are on now would release that before a Brazil label who presses CD-Rs.

Right on both counts....the Reckless Love is all their E.P.'s originally released by the band off their website. I have their E.P.'s and told Olli about this...he told me that whoever is releasing the songs are doing so illegally without the bands permission. Same with the Sister cd...I also have these from the band...and they have said the same. Most of the list have never ever been released..as they were only on cassette or Vinyl and the person does not have authorization or permission by the Artists. Some have been released on cd but by Retrospect records. Be very Aware...these are illegal releases and cheap bootlegs..no value in the long run.

I'm pissed off is how I feel. And I've addressed this with Sebastian, but have yet to hear back.

I sent an email to him on Friday when I first posted this. No reply. I toyed with the idea about making a big nasty post about this over on your board but figured I'd wait until after the weekend to give Sebastian a chance to respond.

If this ends up all panning out and MBM insists upon continuing this partnership, then in my opninion bands, musicians, and collectors need to know that if they're buying from MusicBuyMail, they are supporting a company in bed with bootleggers.

In my opinion, Sebastian knows exactly what they are. Otherwise, why would he make the titles available only via email newsletter and not carry the titles in his online store?

??? DId you not see the list in the first post?

Yes. Meant the full list that will be offered in a staggered lot of 25/month. I would assume the full lot exists already.

OH!!! That is the full list. Oops!

Well, I guess I'd buy the Oslo for instance. That CDR is definitely better than what I have at the moment. And the band won't lose any money as they wouldn't have sold and earned anything in any case.

But I've asked Sebastian what the packaging looks like and got no reply yet.

Looks like it. I'm quite shocked by this. I'm considering removing their advertising if I don't get a reply STAT.

You should give Sebastian a little more time, Andrew. He basically is a "one-man-show" and actually a good guy. I am sure he will have his reasons.