Yes - Heaven & Earth

Stefan

yespress.jpg

New album 'Heaven & Earth' out July 18th on Frontiers Records.

From yesworld.com:

Among the world’s most influential, ground-breaking, and respected progressive rock bands, Grammy Award winning, YES, is proud to announce its new album, ‘Heaven and Earth.’ Having sold nearly 40 million albums in a career that has so far spanned more than four decades, ‘Heaven and Earth’ sees YES continuing with its tradition of symphonic progressive rock that remains timelessly fresh and innovative.

‘Heaven and Earth’ contains eight new tracks, each of which boasts the unique musicianship and craftsmanship that have come to be known as ‘the YES sound.’ YES’ distinctive layered music, swirling arrangements, brilliant vocals and harmonies are all in abundance. ‘Heaven and Earth’ is an album sure to please both long-time and new YES fans.

For ‘Heaven and Earth,’ YES teams up with legendary Grammy Award winner, Roy Thomas Baker (Queen, The Cars, Guns N’ Roses, Foreigner, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice Cooper, etc.), who handles production and mixing.

Also onboard is long-time YES artist, the world-renowned Roger Dean, who again brings his masterful artistic creativity to the album’s cover art and packaging.

Since its founding in 1968, YES has created much of rock history’s most important music, including iconic pieces like ‘Roundabout,’ ‘Close to the Edge,’ ‘I’ve Seen All Good People,’ ‘Owner of a Lonely Heart,’ ‘Starship Trooper,’ and countless others. YES’s albums, including ‘Fragile,’ ‘Close to the Edge,’ ‘Tales from Topographic Oceans,’ and ‘90125,’ have been certified multi-platinum, double-platinum, platinum, and more by the RIAA. YES continues to inspire millions of musicians, fans, and music lovers around the world.

Personnel:

STEVE HOWE – Electric, Acoustic & Steel Guitars, Vocals
CHRIS SQUIRE – Bass Guitar, Vocals
ALAN WHITE – Drums, Percussion
GEOFF DOWNES – Keyboards, Computer Programming
JON DAVISON – Vocals, Acoustic Guitar (on Believe Again & Light Of The Ages)

http://yesworld.com/2014/05/yes-heaven-earth/

heaven_and_earth_yes_dean.jpg

Tracklist:

• Believe Again
  • The Game
  • Step Beyond
  • To Ascend
  • In A World Of Our Own
  • Light Of The Ages
  • It Was All We Knew
  • Subway Walls

I've actually pre-ordered this - I only just bought their last Fly from Here ...and I'm still not overly impressed with it even after a year or more on from first hearing it when released as it as it harkens back too much to the Drama era and contained songs that were written around the same time. In that respect to me it sounded like a step backwards and I honestly find little to really thrill me on it. No matter how respected a producer he is Trevor Horns production of Yes albums even 90125 left me somewhat cold and again same with the last one. Probably due to a combination of both and other factors left me feeling that the album was a tad contrived, sterile and somewhat disengaging.

But seeing as RTB has produced this one and the band have newer songs, as far as I know, plus the fact that they've been touring as a unit quite extensively before releasing this has me interested.

Never say never with Yes against getting Anderson back but at the moment it seems very very remote - so Yes with 1 original member plus another 2 classic line up members makes it work for me for for now - even if I do feel a little cheated and get the feeling it's a case of "get the quids in".

• 3 weeks later...