Top 10 albums

Jacob M.

As of this moment this is my top ten favorite releases of all time and why (in no particular order). What are yours? Can you narrow it down to just 10?

Journey- Evolution
I’ve probably listened to this more than any other album. I had it on 8-Track, cassette, and now CD. AOR perfection. Quite possibly the best album ever recorded.

Guns N’ Roses- Appetite For Destruction
The album by which all other sleaze is judged. The pinnacle of the album is Rocket Queen. It’s a beautiful gritty song about letting someone know you care. If they are ever in trouble or need someone to go to you are there. The inclusion of Axl having sex with a woman over the bridge does nothing to take away from the song. It only makes it that much more real.

Wildside- Under The Influence
In my opinion this is Appetite For Destruction 2.0. It opens with a song about a hooker and closes with a song co-written by Paul Stanley. So Far Away perfectly captures the feeling of isolation that comes with being an outsider. The lyrics seem to fit me. Although, maybe not quite as much now. Looks Like Love’s depiction of love is perhaps the best ever. A subject I’ve struggled to understand. When I have feelings for another this song best describes it.

Slaughter- Stick It To Ya
Party rock at its best. This album showcases my favorite vocalist, Mark Slaughter, at his finest. There is incredible musicianship all the way around. This album also includes my favorite song of all time, Up All Night. Incredibly catchy and chock full of goodness. I’ve listened to it so many times it’s lost some of its meaning.

Vinnie Vincent Invasion- All Systems Go
My favorite guitar work of all time is featured on this album. Vinnie fills every imaginable space with incredible riffage. Mark Slaughter shows off his vocal range and beautifully compliments Vinnie’s abilities. The metal is great and the accompanying ballads even better. Love Kills and That Time Of Year are incredible songs.

I, Napoleon- I, Napoleon
This one is nearly impossible to describe. The music is very dark and at times depressing delving into subjects such as suicide. The band mixes glam with classical influences and a vocal delivery along the lines of Dave Mustaine (Megadeth). It’s a strange combination that somehow seems to work.

Roxxi- Drive It To Ya Hard
One of the best indies to ever come out. Hook laden commercial hard rock with soaring vocals and excellent backing vocals. The guitarist is very technical and at times it seems as though he’s playing to a different song. It all fits together just right. There is not a bad song on here. It’s a shame this is the only music they ever released.

Ratt- Detonator
Most of Ratt’s previous work was hit and miss. So they brought in Desmond Child as a collaborator. He took their best aspects and added a pop element. The result is high polished sleaze. This is Ratt’s finest moment.

Warrant- Cherry Pie

While a great song, Cherry Pie completely overshadows Jani's original vision for the album. Jani hated himself for even writing it. You can thank the record company for that. The more I listen to the album the more I realize just how much of a masterpiece it is. And sadly no one will ever know. Warrant will forever be known for Cherry Pie and nothing else. Jani's brilliance completely overlooked.

Brass Kitten- E-Z N' Pretty
I haven’t listened to this one in forever as I no longer have access to my collection or a cassette player. From what I remember it’s an excellent indie hard rock release. It’s not quite like anything else from the time and the vocalist’s incredible range helps set them apart. The highlight of the album is definitely the ballad Don't Ask Me Why. It is perhaps the best ballad I’ve ever heard.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's mine, pretty much in order.

This list changes over time as I am more drawn to different CD's

10... Butch Walker - The Spade

Not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Fairly poppy almost 'Beatley' type album, but the songs are all great.

9… Sixx AM – The Heroin Diaries

Biggest surprise of recent years. Took me quite a few listen to like, but it worked it's way into my head.

8… Bad City --- Welcome to the Wasteland

Some killer songs on this. A gem amidst some average releases at the time.

7… Andy Taylor - Thunder

Yep, the Duran Duran guitarist. Left the band and kicked major ass with this album.

6… Dangerous Toys - Pissed

One of my favorite bands, for me this album kicks the two proceeding albums all over the place. The top of their game.

5… Joey Tempest - A Place To Call Home

The singer from Europe's first solo CD and he'd obviously been storing up some great stuff that is a lot lighter and softer than his old bands. All of these are AOR (adult orientated rock) and easy to listen to.

4… Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood

Only one or two tracks here which I can live without. every other one is awesome. Everything about this CD is great.

3… Love Cream - First Taste

An Aussie band with some great track. Think Steel Panther but a bit less in your face parody and it works really well.

2… Loud & Clear - Disc Connected

They released a few other albums, but they were average. This one however is just fantastic songs. Got very addicted to this one at the time. Still play it a lot.

1… Hot Action Cop - S/T

Had a hit with 'Fever For The Flava' a few years ago, I was shocked to find that this was to become my all time favorite CD. Every song is awesome. Great lyrics tell great stories, music is melodic and technically spot on, produced perfectly.

Cool list, Jacob. I never picked you as a Journey fan - that one really surprised me. As did I, Napoleon. ;) I like your explanations, though.

Anyway, this is going to change as I rate the rest of my albums, but at the moment, having just rated everything up to and including L (except for 95% of modern rock), here are my top 10 highest rated albums. I will, of course, return to this thread when I'm finished with all my ratings;

10. Attraction - Get Up N' Shake

Kind of ironic that obviously enough people didn't think these guys were good enough to get signed "back in the day," but for me these guys play their style of music to perfection. Killer music tracks, huge backing vocals, monster hooks and no fillers. Perfect good time "party" hard rock.

9. Bon Jovi - Bon Jovi

A bit surprised to see this rated so high for me so far, but I trust my ratings. It is a sensational album, with so many highlights. This was BJ at their purest and I think it's a meaningful album, showing that before Desmond Child came along they weren't just a bunch of shitkickers without a clue. They knew their craft well and DC just helped them get it on the radio.

8. Boys Like Girls - Love Drunk

An album I could listen to all day every day and not get sick of it. Gigantic hooks and no let up in the high quality of songs... I couldn't even select a starting point as to which song to recommend because it's basically all of them. Nice sentiment in a lot of the lyrics too, which is probably where it gets me the most. Massive anthems for the masses, but with that personal touch too.

7. Bonfire - Point Blank

Don't really need to explain this one, surely. 15 songs, not a filler amongst them. Even the weakest song 'Gimme Some' is still listenable. Elsewhere, this album is a showcase for a band at their absolute prime, unable to put a foot wrong. Again, too many classic to mention, but one would have to start with 'Say Goodbye.'

6. Blessed By A Broken Heart - Feel The Power

Very divided opinions on this one on this very forum when it was released, but my opinion on it never wavered and still has not. It ain't no lyrical masterpiece, it is tacky... but it's also brilliant. Again, it's just a relentless barrage of massive anthem after massive anthem. Frantic guitarwork, monster hooks... another album I could listen to and put on repeat over and over again 'til the stereo breaks.

5. Silly Fools - The One
This one, hey? Just holds a really, really special place for me. My wife and I went to Thailand for our honeymoon, this band is Thai and there's no connection, but somewhere in my silly mind I've made one and every time I hear this album it brings me back to my honeymoon, which, before kids, was easily the highlight of my life. I love the simple Thailand inspired lyrics, the incredible musicianship and every single song is simply excellent. Absolutely adore this album.

4. Blue Tears - Blue Tears

This one doesn't require much explanation. Getting into "our" type of music, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard were my two favourite bands, so imagine my glee when I found the perfect blend of the two bands. The songs speak for themself and are just one after another enormous, but again it's the lyrics on this one that take me back to my youth and what I wish it could have been, but also just for what it was too. Every time I hear this I think about being young and how it was before things got complex. One of the most perfect melodic hard rock albums ever recorded.

3. Harem Scarem - Harem Scarem

No fancy explanations for this one. It's just purely amazing melodic rock / AOR. The quality of song writing is brilliant and there's no sniff of a sour moment here. And with songs like 'Honesty,' 'With a little Love,' 'Distant memory' and 'Hard to love,' it's hard for a melodic rock fan not to love this one.

2. Cauterize - Disguises / Paper Wings

Heavier and darker than the debut, but every single bit as stunning. The introduction of ballads on this record pays off with flying colours too, with 'Porcelain' being my favourite song of all time. And 'Why this last dance' wouldn't be far off too. But it's the rockers that made this band for me, and not one single one of them fails to fire here. Walls of guitar, brilliant, provoking hooks, and again, as with the debut, it's all about the lyrics too. Each song is like a slab of Jesse Smith's soul laid out bare for the listener. Listening to Cauterize made me want to hand out 11/10's for many, many songs.

(Two albums released within 2 years of each other, 4 of the 12 songs removed and replaced with 4 new ones on the second one)

1. Cauterize - So Far From Real
Only slightly better than the follow up/s. I first heard this when I was at a moment in my life where basically every single song related to what was going on in my life at the time (or so I thought anyway, lol) and the fact that it came equipped with everything I love about music, it kind of made it impossible for it not to stick as my all-time favourite album. I love every lyric and each one again sounds like it's a strip of the dude's soul laid out for the listener. I've always excused vocalists that may not be perfect if you can tell that every ounce of their being is in the words they're singing, because for me that passion for their work makes up for it tenfold. And that's what I hear in Cauterize and why they created my two (and a half) favourite albums of all time.
I do want to note that these two were actually rated high up in the list (5th and 7th respectively), but I guess I'll exclude EPs from the list:
Hot Boy - Barely Legal EP
Waltham - Wicked Waltham EP

This is just too difficult, but I'll try anyway. No big explanations from me though, sorry....These albums are just superb.

Whitesnake - 1987

Alias - s/t

Harem Scarem - s/t

Bad English - s/t

Richard Marx - Paid Vacation

Bryan Adams - Waking Up the Neighbours

Skid Row - s/t

John Waite - Temple Bar

The Storm - s/t

Eric Martin - I'm Only Foolin' Myself

PS Geoff - excellent list and I am with you 100% on the BBABH album. Jacob, nice list mate, I agree with most of it. CTS...sorry mate but I tend to bot be into a lot of your choices but interesting read anyway.

CTS...sorry mate but I tend to bot be into a lot of your choices but interesting read anyway.

Yeah, very different kind of stuff to me, but to his credit the Loud & Clear album is a very worthy inclusion. Excellent disc with contains no fillers amongst 13 tracks, which ain't easy.

Cool list, Jacob. I never picked you as a Journey fan - that one really surprised me. As did I, Napoleon. ;) I like your explanations, though.

Anyway, this is going to change as I rate the rest of my albums, but at the moment, having just rated everything up to and including L (except for 95% of modern rock), here are my top 10 highest rated albums. I will, of course, return to this thread when I'm finished with all my ratings;

10. Attraction - Get Up N' Shake

Kind of ironic that obviously enough people didn't think these guys were good enough to get signed "back in the day," but for me these guys play their style of music to perfection. Killer music tracks, huge backing vocals, monster hooks and no fillers. Perfect good time "party" hard rock.

9. Bon Jovi - Bon Jovi

A bit surprised to see this rated so high for me so far, but I trust my ratings. It is a sensational album, with so many highlights. This was BJ at their purest and I think it's a meaningful album, showing that before Desmond Child came along they weren't just a bunch of shitkickers without a clue. They knew their craft well and DC just helped them get it on the radio.

8. Boys Like Girls - Love Drunk

An album I could listen to all day every day and not get sick of it. Gigantic hooks and no let up in the high quality of songs... I couldn't even select a starting point as to which song to recommend because it's basically all of them. Nice sentiment in a lot of the lyrics too, which is probably where it gets me the most. Massive anthems for the masses, but with that personal touch too.

7. Bonfire - Point Blank

Don't really need to explain this one, surely. 15 songs, not a filler amongst them. Even the weakest song 'Gimme Some' is still listenable. Elsewhere, this album is a showcase for a band at their absolute prime, unable to put a foot wrong. Again, too many classic to mention, but one would have to start with 'Say Goodbye.'

6. Blessed By A Broken Heart - Feel The Power

Very divided opinions on this one on this very forum when it was released, but my opinion on it never wavered and still has not. It ain't no lyrical masterpiece, it is tacky... but it's also brilliant. Again, it's just a relentless barrage of massive anthem after massive anthem. Frantic guitarwork, monster hooks... another album I could listen to and put on repeat over and over again 'til the stereo breaks.

5. Silly Fools - The One
This one, hey? Just holds a really, really special place for me. My wife and I went to Thailand for our honeymoon, this band is Thai and there's no connection, but somewhere in my silly mind I've made one and every time I hear this album it brings me back to my honeymoon, which, before kids, was easily the highlight of my life. I love the simple Thailand inspired lyrics, the incredible musicianship and every single song is simply excellent. Absolutely adore this album.

4. Blue Tears - Blue Tears

This one doesn't require much explanation. Getting into "our" type of music, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard were my two favourite bands, so imagine my glee when I found the perfect blend of the two bands. The songs speak for themself and are just one after another enormous, but again it's the lyrics on this one that take me back to my youth and what I wish it could have been, but also just for what it was too. Every time I hear this I think about being young and how it was before things got complex. One of the most perfect melodic hard rock albums ever recorded.

3. Harem Scarem - Harem Scarem

No fancy explanations for this one. It's just purely amazing melodic rock / AOR. The quality of song writing is brilliant and there's no sniff of a sour moment here. And with songs like 'Honesty,' 'With a little Love,' 'Distant memory' and 'Hard to love,' it's hard for a melodic rock fan not to love this one.

2. Cauterize - Disguises / Paper Wings

Heavier and darker than the debut, but every single bit as stunning. The introduction of ballads on this record pays off with flying colours too, with 'Porcelain' being my favourite song of all time. And 'Why this last dance' wouldn't be far off too. But it's the rockers that made this band for me, and not one single one of them fails to fire here. Walls of guitar, brilliant, provoking hooks, and again, as with the debut, it's all about the lyrics too. Each song is like a slab of Jesse Smith's soul laid out bare for the listener. Listening to Cauterize made me want to hand out 11/10's for many, many songs.

(Two albums released within 2 years of each other, 4 of the 12 songs removed and replaced with 4 new ones on the second one)

1. Cauterize - So Far From Real
Only slightly better than the follow up/s. I first heard this when I was at a moment in my life where basically every single song related to what was going on in my life at the time (or so I thought anyway, lol) and the fact that it came equipped with everything I love about music, it kind of made it impossible for it not to stick as my all-time favourite album. I love every lyric and each one again sounds like it's a strip of the dude's soul laid out for the listener. I've always excused vocalists that may not be perfect if you can tell that every ounce of their being is in the words they're singing, because for me that passion for their work makes up for it tenfold. And that's what I hear in Cauterize and why they created my two (and a half) favourite albums of all time.
I do want to note that these two were actually rated high up in the list (5th and 7th respectively), but I guess I'll exclude EPs from the list:
Hot Boy - Barely Legal EP
Waltham - Wicked Waltham EP

Bonfire in, not Victory? These are Siamese twins...

I had expected Warrant - Dog Eat Dog from Geoff, read somewhere that he said it was the perfect album, or it can simply be that I mix him upp with someone else.

I was actually hoping to fit Warrant into my list but for me they don't have an album of nothing but killers - if I could combine my fav tracks off Dog Eat Dog and DRFSR + a couple from other albums then I would have a near 10/10 album. But yeah they would certainly feature on my list of best songs of all time, just not albums.

I would have loved to include Def Leppard but not Hysteria. It's a brilliant album but for me I'm going to be controversial and say that Retro Active is their best album. It's not perfect but contains a bunch of absolute killers.

1. Fair Warning - Go!

2. Outside Edge - Running Hot

3. Symphony X - Underworld

4. Within Temptation - The Unforgiving

5. Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall - S/T (Soooo looking forward to the new album in november)

6. Dominoe - The Key

7. Fair Warning - 4 (Four)

8. Eclipse - Bleed And Scream

9= AC/DC - Back In Black

9= Shy - Excess All Areas

I would have loved to include Def Leppard but not Hysteria. It's a brilliant album but for me I'm going to be controversial and say that Retro Active is their best album. It's not perfect but contains a bunch of absolute killers.

Love Def Leppard, but they didn't make it into my top 10. Retro Active has some killer ballads namely "Two Steps Behind" and "Miss You In A Heartbeat". Funny that they come in 2-3 versions each. "Miss You In A Heartbeat" is the secret song that comes after you think the album ended, always amusing with such kind of surprises. Favourite DL albums are Adrenalize, Hysteria and Pyromania.

Love Def Leppard, but they didn't make it into my top 10. Retro Active has some killer ballads namely "Two Steps Behind" and "Miss You In A Heartbeat". Funny that they come in 2-3 versions each. "Miss You In A Heartbeat" is the secret song that comes after you think the album ended, always amusing with such kind of surprises. Favourite DL albums are Adrenalize, Hysteria and Pyromania.

Yeah there is no shortage of brilliant songs in their discography. I like the ballads you mentioned but with Retro Active my fav songs are the first two - Desert Song and Fractured Love - hugely underrated tunes IMO.

CTS...sorry mate but I tend to bot be into a lot of your choices but interesting read anyway.

haha, no problems there.

From your list Harem Scarem and Skid Row would be the two that would be in my top 20 probably. In fact Harem Scarem was really hard to leave out of my 10.

The rest of it was too AOR for me.

Having said that, the Joey Tempest and Butch Walker albums on my list are very AOR, so go figure.

Andy Taylor and Hot Action Cop are probably albums which most here wouldn't have heard.

At the time Andy Taylor's Thunder came out it was very cool for me.

Don't even know how I ended up with it, but it was great hard rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blDUrOGXES4

He followed up with a covers album where most of the songs were better than the originals for me, which is hard to do.

Especially Live Wire... (most will probably disagree, bit I'm not a big fan of AC/DC stuff after Bon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ene3t4oOxow

haha, no problems there.

From your list Harem Scarem and Skid Row would be the two that would be in my top 20 probably. In fact Harem Scarem was really hard to leave out of my 10.

The rest of it was too AOR for me.

Having said that, the Joey Tempest and Butch Walker albums on my list are very AOR, so go figure.

Andy Taylor and Hot Action Cop are probably albums which most here wouldn't have heard.

At the time Andy Taylor's Thunder came out it was very cool for me.

Don't even know how I ended up with it, but it was great hard rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blDUrOGXES4

He followed up with a covers album where most of the songs were better than the originals for me, which is hard to do.

Especially Live Wire... (most will probably disagree, bit I'm not a big fan of AC/DC stuff after Bon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ene3t4oOxow

Nice, I'd heard of Andy Taylor but hadn't actually heard any songs. Will check that one out further. Re Hot Action Cop, I've never heard of it but certainly intrigued now. Gonna check out Youtube. Loud & Clear I have to agree is awesome.

Dream Theater - Images & Words

Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime

Harem Scarem - s/t

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Lillian Axe - Poetic Justice

Lillian Axe - Love & War

The Magnificent - s/t

Waltham - s/t

White Widdow - Crossfire

Final Frontier - Second Wave

White Lion - Pride

Metallica - Ride The Lightning

Treat - Coup De Grace

These are albums that I can listen over and over again and have been doing so since they were released. These are releases that I can't point out a real weak track or tracks that I would skip more than others.

I will admit I need to be in a certain mood for Operation:Mindcrime, not exactly background music.

None of them better than "Fractured Love", in my opinion. My favorite Leppard song.

Harem Scarem - s/t

Lillian Axe - Love & War

The Magnificent - s/t

Waltham - s/t

White Widdow - Crossfire

White Lion - Pride

These are albums that I can listen over and over again and have been doing so since they were released. These are releases that I can't point out a real weak track or tracks that I would skip more than others.

I will admit I need to be in a certain mood for Operation:Mindcrime, not exactly background music.

A to say the least, very varied list with different styles. Love The Magnificent and Final Frontier albums, rate them at 95 and 92 %.

None of them better than "Fractured Love", in my opinion. My favorite Leppard song.

Mine too! Pure brilliance. I really like Desert Song as well.

• My Little Pony

Harem Scarem - s/t

Lillian Axe - Love & War

The Magnificent - s/t

Waltham - s/t

White Widdow - Crossfire

White Lion - Pride

How the phuk did it take fifteen posts before Mindcrime was mentioned? Might be my top album. Been listening to it once a day for the last few weeks. I never grow tired of it.

Virtually impossible - there are probably 50 albums which could change place on a daily basis - all rating around the 95% mark.

I guess albums which hold a special place which ive lived with for years and never tire - in no order

Bon Jovi - s/t

AC/DC - Back in Black

Iron Maiden - NOTB

Journey - Escape / Evolution / Infinity

Steve Perry - Street Talk

Harem Scarem - s/t & Higher

Marillion - Script

These are all albums that I never tire of ...

Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime

David Bowie: The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

Fish: Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors

Warrior Soul: Last Decade Dead Century

The Outfield: Bangin'

Van Halen: Fair Warning

... cutting down a list of favourites to just ten albums is going to be tricky ...

Bonfire in, not Victory? These are Siamese twins...

'Culture Killed The Native' will feature high in my list when I get around to rating it, but not in my top 10, and not near 'Point Blank.' Both killer discs, but I do prefer Bonfire.

I had expected Warrant - Dog Eat Dog from Geoff, read somewhere that he said it was the perfect album, or it can simply be that I mix him upp with someone else.

Nah, it'd be me. I do rate that album very high. It probably features as many 10/10 songs as many in my list, but it'd probably only be a couple of tunes like 'Inside Out,' 'Sad Theresa' and to a degree, 'Machine Gun' that would just rate around that 8/10 mark to lower the score down a bit.

Virtually impossible - there are probably 50 albums which could change place on a daily basis - all rating around the 95% mark.

I guess albums which hold a special place which ive lived with for years and never tire - in no order

Bon Jovi - s/t

AC/DC - Back in Black

Iron Maiden - NOTB

Journey - Escape / Evolution / Infinity

Steve Perry - Street Talk

Harem Scarem - s/t & Higher

Marillion - Script

The best AC/DC album which says a lot, in my top 10 as well.