Concerts where you went in not expecting much and were blown away

CureTheSane

I was in London when Robbie Williams released Escapology.

The first single was pounded in to my head from the flight over through the whole trip.
In the end I grew to love the song, Feel, and bought the CD on its merits.

When I got home I listened over and over and loved it, then started exploring some of his older stuff which I'd largely ignored aside from Let Me Entertain You (where he wears Gene makeup) and Angels.

Soon after that he toured, and I though "what the hell and ventured out to see him"

Amazing show. From half naked girls, to theatrics and Dee Snider like energy.

I still refer to it as the 3rd best concert I've seen.

Another one would be Def Leppard who I saw last year. Had never seen them before and kind of expected them to be a bit old and over it.

Aside from Phil all oiled up and strutting around, the show was really great.

You could tell they'd been touring a while and knew what they were doing.

Played most of the songs they needed to and had a lot of energy.

Watchtower, 2000, Bang Your Head Festival, Germany.

They were headlining the show. Progenitors of prog metal, but still I didn't know what to expect! Ha! They rocked! I developed a chronic lumbago since then. Still this is my all time favorite gig.

My idol:

rjwt9.jpg

Kate Bush.

I went with my wife because she loves her - I was expecting it to be pretty good, but it was amazing. One of the best concerts I have ever seen at Hammersmith Odeon (or ever in fact). A pure spectacle.

Whitesnake this past June. I thought they would be too old....yes they are but dammit they rocked.

Reb Beach and Joel Hoekstra on guitars were sick awesome (they each had a solo and tore the roof of the open air venue it was that good) and David Coverdale still had plenty of chops left in him.

Many years ago I went to L'amour in Brooklyn, NY to catch the big-whoop debut NYC gig by the Sea Hags - who were being hyped as "The Next Guns N Roses!" Naturally none of us expected them to live up to that hype.

However, a new and unknown band called Babylon A.D. (supporting their first album) came on first, and they absolutely rocked the joint. Everyone in the place became an instant fan. They totally stole the show from the Hags, who sucked. We walked out on them about three songs into their set, but we damn well were at the record store at the Mall looking for Babylon A.D.'s debut the next day.

Funny cuz I saw BAD on their tour with WildSide and Roxy Blue and local rockers Bomb Squad. BAD was by far the worst on the bill. Most people had already left halfway through their set even though they were filming the video for So Savage The Heart that night.

Local band 'Tracer' .... saw them play to about 4 people as the opening band at a club one night and thought "these guys awesome... they'll go somewhere". Many years later great to see them moving on to bigger and better things.

The Quireboys... swedenrock 2015

Was a 'casual' fan of these guys from years back but wasn't really expecting too much from them live. They were one of the most impressive bands I saw at the festival, with a fantastic live show, so much so I'm keen to see em again.

Extreme (2008) didn't expect it's to be good while in fact it's superb. The musicianship is top notch, Nuno is funny too

L'arc en Ciel (2012), knew it's gonna be great but it slightly surpass my expectation, great show !

Meat Loaf (on the BOOH2 tour) ... my expectations were low, but he was fantastic - full of energy, note perfect, entertaining and funny ... a brilliant show.

Bon Jovi in 1988, on the New Jersey tour ... I only went 'cause Lita Ford was support. Bon Jovi came out firing on all cylinders, and didn't let up until the last note had died - really, REALLY good. I last saw them in 1995, and they were boring as hell :(

Meat Loaf (on the BOOH2 tour) ... my expectations were low, but he was fantastic - full of energy, note perfect, entertaining and funny ... a brilliant show.

Bon Jovi in 1988, on the New Jersey tour ... I only went 'cause Lita Ford was support. Bon Jovi came out firing on all cylinders, and didn't let up until the last note had died - really, REALLY good. I last saw them in 1995, and they were boring as hell :(

New Jersey was the last tour on which they killed it for sure....was all downhill from then.