Went new release shopping on Amazon...

Got an Amazon GC for my birthday, so I went shopping for 2015 releases... all over the map stylistically:

All That Remains - The Order of Things
Black Star Riders - The Killer Instinct (Deluxe 2-CD Ed.)
Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror
Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho
Falling in Reverse - Just Like You
Farmikos - S/T
H.E.A.T. - Live in London
Imagine Dragons - Smoke + Mirrors
Papa Roach - F.E.A.R.
Red - Of Beauty and Rage
Revolution Saints - S/T
Sweet & Lynch - Only to Rise
The Dreaming - Rise Again

I've only done some spot checking of a few discs thus far, but both the Black Star Riders and Papa Roach sound promising.

All That Remains - The Order of Things ; thanks ol' fella. I had no idea they'd released a new disc. Based on the last one, though, looking forward to a few more modern AOR metal tracks. ;) Haha, hopefully they continue in the direction of the last disc, because I like where they're going. As much as I assume their original hardcore fans HATE it.

Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho ; bit of a dud, actually. See if you can get a refund on this one quick, before they post it. Haha. It's not awful, but it's their limpest CD yet.

Falling in Reverse - Just Like You ; good purchase. Possibly their best album so far. I really dig it and there's not even a sniff of a weak song on it. I even love the rap song. Really cool band and a very good listen.

Papa Roach - F.E.A.R. ; very good one; just not quite where 'Paramour Sessions' was at. But very nice from start to end. Make sure you download the two bonus tracks at some point too, as they help round out the album.

Red - Of Beauty and Rage ; another thank you. I did not know about this release either. Out of curiosity, where do you look to find out new releases in modern rock?

The Dreaming - Rise Again ; another good one. Cody turned me onto this band a few years ago and I ended up really liking their first two albums. I figured they were done and dusted and was very happy to see this one released. If you liked the first two, you'll like this. I am yet to rate any of their albums, but I think they'd all be pretty equal, this included.

Happy listening!

Out of curiosity, where do you look to find out new releases in modern rock?

I don't know that you can isolate it that far. I just browsed the newest music releases looking for groups with new releases I recognized, then when you click on a release, below the product information, Amazon gives you a left-right scrolling list of "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" which frequently gives you stuff in the same genre.

It's a bit of trial and error, but I find that Amazon's suggestions frequently pop up groups/releases I might not have been aware of.

If there are not sound samples on the CD page, always check and see if it is also offered as a digital album and then go to that page. There are a lot of CDs on Amazon where samples are only provided on the digital version product page.

Yeah, I did always like that "customers who bought this also liked...' feature when I used Amazon. Haven't been on the site for a long while, but I should check in every now and then. Thanks for the tip. :)

Now now, don't be a douchebag.

I really want to use that line in my emails at work...even in written form it conveys what you are thinking with relative calmness and matter of fact presentation.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never heard of any of those bands (well except PAPA Roach) lol. I'm always looking for newer stuff that might interest me & thanks for the list :)

I listened to some of the clips on Amazon & Revolution Saints sounds pretty good from what I can hear. Kind of like Journey on steroids lol. The Dreaming - Rise Again Intrigues me. I can tell it might be a good album but as usual I don't think Amazon picked the right sections of the tracks for the clips. Better than the previews?

• My Little Pony

I've never heard of any of those bands (well except PAPA Roach) lol. I'm always looking for newer stuff that might interest me & thanks for the list :)

I listened to some of the clips on Amazon & Revolution Saints sounds pretty good from what I can hear. Kind of like Journey on steroids lol. The Dreaming - Rise Again Intrigues me. I can tell it might be a good album but as usual I don't think Amazon picked the right sections of the tracks for the clips. Better than the previews?

Mate, you've been a member for two years, but do you even use the site? Anyone that browses the forums should be familiar with most of those names.

Ignore Funk he's being grouchy ;-)

Defo pick up the Rev Saints........best album so far this year :-)

Ignore Funk he's being grouchy ;-)

Defo pick up the Rev Saints........best album so far this year :-)

He's always a snappy little temperamental grouch. And he's always ignorable.

Most people on the forum probably wouldn't know half these bands as they're mostly modern rock.

I still really need to check out the All That Remains album... is it any good, Dan?

I still really need to check out the All That Remains album... is it any good, Dan?

I'm torn. It appears to be a band with an identity crisis. The clean vocal songs and sections are quite good, but they still embrace the cookie monster shouting in many places, which IMO ruins several songs. They have been trending towards proportionally more clean vocals in recent years, but I'd be much happier if it was 100% clean vocals.

I'm torn. It appears to be a band with an identity crisis. The clean vocal songs and sections are quite good, but they still embrace the cookie monster shouting in many places, which IMO ruins several songs. They have been trending towards proportionally more clean vocals in recent years, but I'd be much happier if it was 100% clean vocals.

Yeah, I'd definitely agree with that based on their previous discs, but I'll look forward to trying this one out.

Mate, you've been a member for two years, but do you even use the site? Anyone that browses the forums should be familiar with most of those names.

And... wtf is your point? lol

If you look at my post count you will see I have rarely had time to get on here. I don't live a cyber life like some people. Too many things in the real world to do.

• My Little Pony

And... wtf is your point? lol

If you look at my post count you will see I have rarely had time to get on here. I don't live a cyber life like some people. Too many things in the real world to do.

A lot of folks have small post counts, but are on every day. I didn't mean to come off rude. I'm just genuinely surprised, as a good chunk of those bands have been discussed a fair bit.

And this is why we can't attract new members to these forums. I see this so often, not just on the HH forums. A new or relatively new member makes a perfectly good, harmless, genuine reply and they are met with a reply like that. Sorry funky man I'm sure you meant no harm but it reads a bit harsh and unwelcoming.